http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 12:44:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo DS game suggestions...  (Read 956 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2005, 04:39:05 PM »

So I finally picked one of these suckers up, mainly in anticipation of Animal Crossing DS smile   Problem is, I'm not going to pick up any games for it until this afternoon.

What's the best game(s) out there for the DS right now?  I know that Mario DS seems like the obvious choice, but I did play Mario 64 to death back in the day.  Is it still worth playing thru again?  Or should I get something like The Urbz?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 05:09:30 PM »

I've been spending a lot of time playing GBA games on my DS.  I hadn't touched my SP in months, so I had plenty of catching up to do, and I'm really enjoying how they look and sound.

Back on topic though, so far, the only DS games I've played are SM64, Urban Asphault, and Mr. Driller.

SM64 I'm really enjoying (having never played it on the N64 though).  The minigames are pretty fun, and I like that I can just pick up the DS and play for 10-20 minutes without worrying about finding a place to save my game.  I don't know if the actual missions are changed from SM64, but they also play through fairly quickly (less than 20 minutes each, at least so far).  This is exactly how I like to play my games (in very short spurts), so it fits me very well.  I don't use the sylus, finding the d-pad and buttons to be a superior control scheme.

Urban Asphault is another game I can play for 10-20 minutes, and actually feel like i"m making progress.  Basically, you start out with just a couple of races available to you at the start and 1 car.  As you win race series (usually 3 races using a specific car type), you'll unlock more cars, upgrades, or races.  Even if you don't win the race, you can win some cash, which can be used to upgrade your car in a multitude of ways (tires, suspension, weight reduction, etc).  The differences after upgrading are small but noticable, and definately contributed to my getting past some races I had trouble with before.

The different car classes also feel quite different.  The hummer feels slow and unwieldy.  The 350Z is fast and nimble (but slides around more, especially before you upgrade your tires).  My only complaint would have to be that the track selection is fairly limited, so you get to know & memorize the tracks pretty quickly.  I love racing games of this type (I'd say its like a mini-PGR..not on that same level, but a similar idea), and I'm having a blast with this one.

Mr. Driller I picked up just this week.  I had wanted to pick it up with the DS, but couldn't find it anywhere.  Now it seems its back in stock in most places.  It is supposedly similar to previous games in the series, though I never played those either.  The goal here is drill down to a certain depth to beat the mission (300M for example).  If you drill below a block, it will fall until it either finds another block of its color adjacent to it, or it squishes you.  If 4 blocks of the same color are connected, they'll disappear and the ones above will drop, etc.  Complicating matters is an air tank that slowly depletes unless you pick up air capsules to replenish it (these are scattered around as you drill down), and blocks that will consume air if you drill them (they're easy to tell apart).  The game has quite an addictive quality, and although I had no idea what I was doing, strategy-wise, when I started, as I played a bit more, I could see that it definately did involve some strategy to get to the air capsules that were completely surrounded by air-depleting bricks.  And as you advance to the higher levels, most air capsules fall into that situation.

As I said, I've only had this one a couple of days, but I think it's one of those games I'll keep coming back to.  It definately gets hard fast though.  300M wasn't too hard.  500M was challenging (it's not just the depth that changes, how the bricks and air capsules are placed also gets more difficult).  On the 800M map, I'm having a devil of a time just trying to get past about 350M..so that's where I'm at now.

I know Zookeeper is also exactly my type of game, but until the price drops on that one I'm going to wait. ($40 is a bit much for a bejeweled clone -- I doubt it'll stay at that price point, especially when every review so far has stated it should probably be about $20).

As there are only a limited number of DS games out, you might just want to check out GameFaqs forums for each and see how they've been received.  Yeah, the noise / content ratio is a bit high, but you can get some decent info if you filter it.

I noticed a couple of posts about the Urbz having some kind of game-stopping bug, but to be honest, I wasn't interested in the game, so I didn't read further.  You might want to check that.

[edit to add:]  Just went through the forum again, and although there are numerous reports of 'glitches', it doesn't look like any game-breakers..sorry to raise a false-alarm there.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 05:30:53 PM »

I could see that it definately did involve some strategy to get to the air capsules that were completely surrounded by air-depleting bricks.

What is that strategy, pray tell?  I was really looking forward to Mr. Driller, but I found it kind of unfriendly.

Zoo Keeper is perfectly addictive, however gameplay can go on for quite awhile and there's no way to save your progress.  Very frustrating.  Otherwise, it would be ideal for picking up to play for fifteen minutes at a pop.   And you're right, $40 is WAY too much for it.  Should have been priced at $20.  Even $30 wouldn't feel like such a rip-off.

You're missing one of the best games on the DS:  Feel the Magic.  Until Wario Ware Touched comes out, this is the game that feels like it was designed for the DS more than any other.

Tiger Woods isn't too bad, either.

I hadn't picked up Urban Asphault because I heard it was meh.  Maybe I'll give it a go.  Have you played the other racing game for the DS (Ridge Racer, right)?  How does it compare?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 07:28:41 PM »

Zoo Keeper or Feel The Magic

Zoo Keeper is really fun and addictive

Feel The Magic is the best use of the system's features.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 08:16:53 PM »

Is feel the magic really that good? Oh and BTW, Mario64 DS IS great fun for me at least. I only played a bit of mario 64 (on N64)so for me it`s almost all new!
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 09:03:35 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
I could see that it definately did involve some strategy to get to the air capsules that were completely surrounded by air-depleting bricks.

What is that strategy, pray tell?  I was really looking forward to Mr. Driller, but I found it kind of unfriendly.

<snip>

I hadn't picked up Urban Asphault because I heard it was meh.  Maybe I'll give it a go.  Have you played the other racing game for the DS (Ridge Racer, right)?  How does it compare?

Well, the general idea is to find the air-using blocks that are either above or below the cluster that has the air capsule.  Usually, if I can't see one right away, I'll tunnel across to be in the same column as the capsule, then drill down until I find the next air-using cluster.  If its not too far, I'll drill the blocks between that remain between the 2 clusters, and usually can get more than 1 capsule at a time using that technique.  I do get squished more often than I'd like, but I think that's more my not getting the timing down to avoid the stuff dropping from above.  My deaths in general seem to be a result of crushing more often than lack of air.

As for your question on Ridge Racer, I didn't pick that one up, since I picked up Urban Asphalt and they looked kinda similar.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 09:09:42 PM »

Is feel the magic really that good?

I think so but let me tell you where I'm coming from:

I have Mario, Tiger Woods, Mr. Driller, Zoo Keeper and FTM for the DS.

-Mario is good but we've all played it before. I like the mini-games.
-I'm dissapointed in Tiger. Putting is a disaster and ruins an otherwise good game.
-I like Zoo Keeper better than Mr. Driller but they are both puzzle games and can kinda be lumped together.

FTM is the only game I have that takes advantage of everything NEW that the DS has to offer. Touch screen, microphone, etc.. It's not the greatest game ever and is kinda short, but it actually does the things that set the DS apart. It's kind of a Wario Ware for the DS (The real Wario comes out in a few weeks). Every other game could have been done on the GBA or another system. FTM can't.

I recommend it for the originality alone OR you could wait for Wario to come out and see how that compares.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 09:23:53 PM »

I have tried several of the DS games and the only ones I would recommend are Mario (for the mini-games) and especially Zoo Keeper!! Great game!!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 09:28:54 PM »

Well, I'm back from my lunchtime EB run with a new copy of Mario DS in my hands... and a preorder slapped down for Wario Ware in 2 weeks.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: