http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 10:21:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo DS 9/11-9/12 releases.  (Read 3573 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2006, 02:48:38 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 15, 2006, 12:09:50 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 15, 2006, 06:04:12 AM

One issue, though: there doesn't seem to be a map anywhere (unless you pick one up later, but I needed it early on) and the levels seem to be quite confusing. 

There is a map in the game.  Hit Start and then I think you move left with the D-pad (You can move right and left to workthrough various menus here, but one of them is the map).

I figured it would be something simple.  Ah, for the days I actually read manuals...

Thanks, TG!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2006, 08:35:58 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 14, 2006, 03:27:09 AM

Just spent a few minutes with Mario Hoops. Looks great. Sounds good. Controls seem iffy. Specifically, recognition of block and jump strokes is spotty. Why recognizing jumps should be harder than shots (both an up stroke) isn't clear.

Ok, I figured out the trouble here. The tutorials don't make it clear, but lifting the stylus off the screen is critical to recognition of the strokes. So when you swipe down to steal, for instance, you must remove not keep the stylus in contact with the screen at the end of the stroke. makes all the difference in the world.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2006, 11:38:21 PM »

Found Cooking Mama today and bought it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2006, 11:44:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 15, 2006, 02:48:38 PM

Quote from: The Grue on September 15, 2006, 12:09:50 PM

One issue, though: there doesn't seem to be a map anywhere (unless you pick one up later, but I needed it early on) and the levels seem to be quite confusing. 

There is a map in the game.  Hit Start and then I think you move left with the D-pad (You can move right and left to workthrough various menus here, but one of them is the map).

I figured it would be something simple.  Ah, for the days I actually read manuals...

Thanks, TG!

I want to correct this now that I have the game in front of me.  Use the L and R buttons to cycle through the menus when you have pressed Start.

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2006, 02:02:39 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 15, 2006, 11:38:21 PM

Found Cooking Mama today and bought it.

what is it like?  I went only to walmart today and they only had Mario Hoops available as far as new games.  I was wanting to see Harvest Moon so I could convince myself to pick it up.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2006, 05:35:48 AM »

I also got Cooking Mama today and went through the first three recipes (and all variations), even got a gold on one.  Let me just say this: peeling potatoes is a PITA.  It's very much a focused Wario Ware game.  The various stages of cooking are represented by  quick mini-games (maybe 20 seconds to one minute in length), cutting a carrot, peeling a potato, putting various items in a mixing bowl, tossing items into a pot and changing the heat and stirring.  Highly recommend that you practice every recipe first, so you're not playing the "what the hell do I do" game while trying to actually cook.

It seems to be a lot of fun, but I'm not sure how long it can sustain that fun.  How many variations on food preparation can there be?

Still, seems worth the modest $20 price.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2006, 12:53:17 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 16, 2006, 05:35:48 AM

I also got Cooking Mama today and went through the first three recipes (and all variations), even got a gold on one.  Let me just say this: peeling potatoes is a PITA.  It's very much a focused Wario Ware game.  The various stages of cooking are represented by  quick mini-games (maybe 20 seconds to one minute in length), cutting a carrot, peeling a potato, putting various items in a mixing bowl, tossing items into a pot and changing the heat and stirring.  Highly recommend that you practice every recipe first, so you're not playing the "what the hell do I do" game while trying to actually cook.

It seems to be a lot of fun, but I'm not sure how long it can sustain that fun.  How many variations on food preparation can there be?

Still, seems worth the modest $20 price.

This echoes my thoughts exactly, even up to the potato peeling part, but then potato peeling is kind of a PITA in real life, too.  icon_biggrin

I am having fun with it so far and for $20, I don't think you can go wrong even if you got bored of it fairly quickly.  I will just try to get gold in every one of these recipes.  I had heard conflicting reports on how many mini games there are.  One thing I read said 50 and another said 200.  Not sure which is accurate yet as I have only done about 4 recipes.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2006, 11:37:08 PM »

Mechassault really suprised me.  I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  If you've played Syphon Filter on the PSP, then the control scheme seems fairly understandable (and shouldn't be too hard to pick up if you haven't).  However, it's not pulled off quite as successfully, and it produced a hand cramp pretty quickly.  The graphics are pretty good for the DS, except when out of the mech.  The human form looks goofy.  The touch controls are a little rough around the edges, too.  Figuring out that you had to hold down the arrow to exit/enter a mech was a struggle.  Going into defense mode is way to far away from the aiming buttons (and it doesn't feel right to take your hand off movement controls).  The biggest problem, though, is switching weapons.  It's not as quick as it should be, as you have to stop aiming to do it.  I can see this being a problem down the road.  And yet...and yet, there was something about it that worked for me, compelled me to play three or four missions as opposed to the one I was going to play to "try it out."  So I guess if you're willing to put up with some crap, it may be worth it.

I was going to pick up Mechassault until I found out it does not include online play.  Did anyone actually play the single player on the Xbox?  MA on the Xbox was my favorite Live game for the 1st year Live was out.  I loved the game and even I'll admit the single player campaign was terrible.  I'm shocked there is no online play for the DS. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2006, 03:49:45 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 17, 2006, 11:37:08 PM

Did anyone actually play the single player on the Xbox?  ...even I'll admit the single player campaign was terrible. 

What?

Yes, I played the single player.  All the way through.  And it was great (at least the first game, the second was not as engaging, but even that was okay).  After repeatedly getting stomped by camping 13 year olds who announced how gay I was for taking two steps and dying, I stopped the multi-playing.  Not to dis, MP, because I know a lot of people had fun with it, just my personal experience.

But where do you get "terrible?"

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2006, 06:56:01 PM »

Any more impressions of Mechassault? Or how about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? Thinking of 1st getting Pokemon as it sounds like it would have a longer playability. Then get Mech later on.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2006, 06:56:47 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 18, 2006, 03:49:45 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on September 17, 2006, 11:37:08 PM

Did anyone actually play the single player on the Xbox?  ...even I'll admit the single player campaign was terrible. 

What?

Yes, I played the single player.  All the way through.  And it was great (at least the first game, the second was not as engaging, but even that was okay).  After repeatedly getting stomped by camping 13 year olds who announced how gay I was for taking two steps and dying, I stopped the multi-playing.  Not to dis, MP, because I know a lot of people had fun with it, just my personal experience.

But where do you get "terrible?"

Meh.

It could be finished in 10 hours.  If it had in-mission save it could have been finished in half that.  It was brutally linear.  And the story was as cliche as they come.  If it wasn't for the multiplayer, the game would have been a short rental for me.  To each his own I guess.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 07:03:14 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: