http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 05:19:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo DS  (Read 706 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2006, 11:37:18 AM »

Just thought I'd post a couple of links I found while browsing Gamefaqs (I feel dirty)

The first is a short clip with a side by side comparsion of DS and Lite
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2378340259991566574&q=DS

and the second is a short video of a dork running over his DS.  It looks to be in pretty good shape after with looks like only a broken hinge.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8181462517753881696&q=DS

BTW anybody know when the DS Lite comes out in the US?  I'm just wondering how long I'll have to brag when I pick up my DS Lite on March 1st! biggrin
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 02:12:34 PM »

Looks like that's when I'll finally buy into the handheld market.  I've never had a handheld (other than 20 years ago with my little Burger Time game), but the near unified praise of the DS makes me antsy.

That said, I will be buying a PS2 first as there are now just too many games that I want to play on it...and most of them will be had on the cheap...Ahh the gains of SUPER LATE mover advantage! slywink
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 02:14:21 PM »

Quick question though about the wifi: does the DS' wifi only work with other DS?

Or can I, having a wifi network at my house, play against someone else who has wifi at their house in separate parts of the world?

I guess my question is: does the wifi only work when it's in proximity to another DS?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 02:14:34 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Ahh the gains of SUPER LATE mover advantage! slywink

Amen, brother.  Got my PS2 for Christmas and have more cheap, good games than I know what to do with.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
I guess my question is: does the wifi only work when it's in proximity to another DS?

Nintendo's wifi works with other nearby DS's and also works worldwide with Nintendo's wifi network.  You can play Mario Kart (and you should!), Animal Crossing and Tony Hawk over the internet with people from all over.  I belive Metroid Prime will also support wifi.

Mario Kart kicks ass all over the place.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 03:36:33 PM »

Yeah, you grab a little USB wifi "dongle" that you plug into your computer so that you can use your computer's internet as the link between your DS and others around zee globe. Apparently. Don't have one myself.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 03:58:26 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Yeah, you grab a little USB wifi "dongle" that you plug into your computer so that you can use your computer's internet as the link between your DS and others around zee globe. Apparently. Don't have one myself.

The DS will work with most normal wireless access points - the USB dongle you mention is only used when you don't have wireless access and basically turns your PC into a short range WAP.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 04:49:07 PM »

So it would work with your own wireless router? Pimpin'. Nintendo does good. No wonder they're making money. Devil? Devil, you around anywhere?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 08:08:43 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
So it would work with your own wireless router? Pimpin'. Nintendo does good. No wonder they're making money. Devil? Devil, you around anywhere?

It will work with your router as long as you don't use very specific kinds of wireless security.  Check out http://www.nintendowifi.com for info on supported routers and configurations.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: