http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 06:56:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo changes name of Revolution to.....  (Read 2161 times)
skystride
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 09:16:18 PM »

Wii will Wii will ROCK YOU!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2006, 09:25:39 PM »

This picture is from Gamerswithjobs:
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2006, 09:28:52 PM »

I actually kinda get it now by looking at the logo, but it still doesn't do much for me.

I thought the same thing about iPod and Macbook though...so maybe it will grow on me.

it just looks like an abbreviation. that bugs me.

I get the feeling people will be calling it the revolution.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2006, 09:43:55 PM »

I Wiiwii wove it. Wiiwii I do. I do I do I do.

Like "Eye-Toy" is better, or the SPIDERMAN 3 errr.. PLAYSTATION 3 is a better name. Sony should release a new product called.... The Walkman! yeah. Or the Discman! Cuz hey, brand recognition is important. /sarcasm

Thing is, Nintendo is a worldwide brand. Wii (whee) is a syllable. It is going to sound the same everywhere; it's not going to beat the market share of the "Pray-shtashun tree-oh!" but it will be a popular product.

I have every confidence that this will work to their benefit. You look at it and think "Wireless" "interactive" "Simple". Some people think piss, but they're going to think that anyways. -LE- for example would be hard-pressed to give praise to any product; as a general rule he's silent when something is done right, and very vocal when it's not done to his taste. (I'm not pickin' on ya, I'm just making a point).  -LE- has demonstrated his capacity to think otherwise; but he sticks with his M.O. and continues on looking at all the glasses that are not nearly as full as they should be. There are those who would emulate such a person, except with no capacity to think. These are the people I take issue with.

In 6 months time the name will have jelled, and we will have the fun and inexpensive Wii in our living rooms. Some people don't feel the Wii has value (KD for example dropped a "wavin' my TiVo, just not feelin' it"). The market has matured, the gamers are looking to break out of the stale, and the technology is there to support it. The game-glove was a great idea, only it was 15 years too early (for both reasons listed above).

As to the wiiwii jokes, I'm sure they're going to be around for a long time. I don't mind; if I can invite a girl over to play with my Wii with me, I'm all for it. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2006, 09:49:18 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
This picture is from Gamerswithjobs:

That rules.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 09:49:47 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

+1

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2006, 10:36:41 PM »

I never fail to be astounded at the fickleness of this group.

You're not going to buy it because of its name? Come on! I know it's all false bravado shrouded by the anonymity of the web, but why waste the time typing something so preposterous?

If it was the Nintendo GODKILLAR would you jump all over it?

Wii is a fine name.  It's not great, but neither will it hearken in the death of the company.

Oh and suggesting that the the name makes the console a non factor is just devoid of reason.  It's the games, stupid.

I think this site is so level-headed in so many ways, but the irrational knee-jerking over the most trivial things is unbelievable.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2006, 10:47:58 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
If it was the Nintendo GODKILLAR would you jump all over it?
Yes.

Wii is a fine name.

No.

I think this site is so level-headed in so many ways, but the irrational knee-jerking over the most trivial things is unbelievable.
So the entire internet is knee-jerking in unison?

I mean, even cnn.com is taking stabs at it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2006, 11:02:37 PM »

I find this amusing, the Wii website says:

"Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii."

No matter what language...as long as it's not Japanese, since we have no "whee" sound.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2006, 11:05:52 PM »

Further proof that Nintendo just doesn't get it. I know the name is not going to make or break the console.  In my opinion lack of 720P/1080i will do that. :roll:

"Revolution" was perfect.  It was already ingrained into my head.  And they they change the name to this?

I'm at a loss for words.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
unbreakable
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2006, 11:10:28 PM »

Wow.  Limp name.

They should have stuck with Revolution.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2006, 11:13:52 PM »

I think that name is terrible.  Should have just stayed with Revolution.  Of course, I will still buy one, but the name is stupid.  As for the 360, I dont think the name so much to do with backward capability.  If I had to choose between 360 or Wii, I would pick 360 every time, unless of course I had to piss.  Then and only then would I take a Wii.

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2006, 11:39:47 PM »

Wii, sounds like having fun, I find it fitting for Nintendo. I wish Playstation would name Playstation 3 something better.

I taught they did?  PS3=Playstation 3,  360=Xbox 360
                           Wii = Nintendo  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
                            That meeting must have taken place in France. Wii, Wii.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2006, 12:27:36 AM »

Its gotta make more sense if your Japanese or something becuase there's no way any American would ever say yea we dhould go with Wii over Revolution.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2006, 01:10:46 AM »

Eh, it's just a name.  Really, who cares what it's called?  If it's a good system, they I'll buy it and play it for the games.  If not, then I won't.  If the Playstation was called the Weeniestation, would that make the games any worse?

xbox live: nude rick james
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2006, 01:19:55 AM »

Quote from: "Clay"
If the Playstation was called the Weeniestation, would that make the games any worse?
Dunno, because I wouldn't have ever bought the system in the first place.

If a tree falls in a forest, etc.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2006, 01:23:23 AM »

I kind of dig the concept behind the new name, but not the name itself. Going for a simple, unique, memorable global, well, sound is a cool idea. I dig the comparison to Google or Napster or Amazon. They're catchy, and they work perfectly for their branding purposes.

In my opinion, Wii is so close, because it's a little exotic, it's a little different, but so far at the same time. Yeah, you're gunna have people thinking piss. Or "why", until everyone gets a hang of the name. It's weird (or wiird, if you please).

And yet they've had this name in mind for a year or so. Nintendo had to have expected this kind of reaction. Wonder what the suits are thinking right now.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2006, 01:33:39 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I kind of dig the concept behind the new name, but not the name itself. Going for a simple, unique, memorable global, well, sound is a cool idea. I dig the comparison to Google or Napster or Amazon. They're catchy, and they work perfectly for their branding purposes.

In my opinion, Wii is so close, because it's a little exotic, it's a little different, but so far at the same time. Yeah, you're gunna have people thinking piss. Or "why", until everyone gets a hang of the name. It's weird (or wiird, if you please).

And yet they've had this name in mind for a year or so. Nintendo had to have expected this kind of reaction. Wonder what the suits are thinking right now.

This reminds me of an episode of "The Loop" where an airline wanted to name their express airline "Jack."  Then you had the ad campaign of "Lay Back and Jack It Alone While Wearing Headphones" and "Jack Off Nightly."

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2006, 01:51:31 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
(agreed, and for the record, I still think the "360" is a retarded game console name)

I agree that "360" is pretty bad, but this...  well I don't know a term for being beyond retarded.  Clinically brain dead perhaps?

For better or worse I think this is the final piece of evidence to prove that Nintendo exists in a world all their own.  Granted, it's a world full of Scrooge McDuck-sized money pits, but what a twisted world it must be.

Can't wait to bounce this one off the kids tomorrow!

Jesus, that Bill Harris quote is priceless. :lol:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2006, 01:54:58 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Jesus, that Bill Harris quote is priceless. :lol:

Rarely have I seen a statement that summed up something so completely  and so correctly as that quote.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2006, 02:31:46 AM »

It's already bad enough that looking at the GameCube section has people suspect you're a child molester.  

But now Nintendo has to go and grab a name which will make any self-respecting man buy exclusively over the internet, for fear of being stoned to death.  Or at least given a wedgie.

Somewhere, a Japanese executive is laughing at us.  I'm willing to bet in Japan the name is different, and translates into "Super Strong Verile Manly Man System".

wii.

wtf.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2006, 02:32:08 AM »

I'm waiting patiently to see what Devil has to say about this...

Still laughing...

(Thanks Graham)

Wii?!

I just like seeing the Nintendo apologists defend it.

"It's a great name! There are TWO "i"'s!! Playstation only has one and Xbox 360 doesn't have any. Unless you spell out "three sixty" but even then, it's only one i and all the "x"'s cancel it out!! Revolution only had one i too, so this is clearly better! The i's have it. Nintendo has their finger on the pulse of the gaming community! Two i's. RIght in a row!!"

As stupid as this is. I'm not sure it matters.

As long as you guys are all geeked up to play 10 year old games at $20 a month on your black and white TVs. Nintendo can call the thing whatever they want.

What are the chances they come out with a Mario Kart game for Wii?  :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
unbreakable
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2006, 02:34:00 AM »

I refuse to go into a store and ask "Where is the wii games section?"
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2006, 02:51:00 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I Wiiwii wove it. Wiiwii I do. I do I do I do.

Thing is, Nintendo is a worldwide brand. Wii (whee) is a syllable. It is going to sound the same everywhere; it's not going to beat the market share of the "Pray-shtashun tree-oh!" but it will be a popular product.

/quote]

If thats your Japanese katakana then I think it should actually be: pu-ray station su-ree smile
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2006, 02:56:34 AM »

Whatever, why didnt they just call it" The Nintendo"

Its about time they recycled that name. Tongue

Nah Wii's fine, I mean, three-hundred-and-sixty.

PlayStation 3(Original).

Wii.... Something new.

People dont like change so this name will be bashed for a while. Maybe a few months or years.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2006, 03:41:05 AM »

It goes well with Intel's ViiV.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
depward

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2006, 04:28:30 AM »

Nvm wii this wii that I like it because it's different.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2006, 05:50:26 AM »

You know what? It's totally going to sink in by the time the console's available. People won't even bat an eyelash come Thanksgiving. And I think people will eventually see the name just a little different than its synoyms. Read 'we', 'oui', 'whee', and 'wee' ... I don't know about the rest of you, but they each read just a little different than each other to me, regardless of their definition. They each have their own sound, as similar as they may be. When I see Wii, it almost has an asian kick to it (whether Japanese people can actually say it or not  :roll:  ). Again, it kind of has a strange, quirky, exotic flair to it, in my mind. It's so different, and it's probably going to do the job.

And people sure as hell are talking about it, as stupid as Wii may or may not be. About the name of the system, just it's name.

I can't stop snorting. Wii is so weird. What the hell?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2006, 10:42:33 AM »

lollercoaster.  Wii.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2006, 12:06:55 PM »

I don't know if I (or anyone else) will ever warm up to the "Wii" name, but I do find it amusing to hear everyone clamor they return to "Revolution". Wasn't everyone mocking that code name when it was announced?

I still *hate* Wii. It's a marketer's dream due to all the plays on it you can make in advertising, but it's a stupid, stupid name.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2006, 12:10:28 PM »

Yep, I woke up this morning and I still like it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2006, 12:21:31 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
Yep, I woke up this morning and I still like it.

I like it more now that everyone is talking about it (makes me excited for Wii to come out)  Maybe that is the plan all along?..Clever Nintendo..

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2006, 12:52:16 PM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"

People dont like change so this name will be bashed for a while. Maybe a few months or years.

I'll go with years.  You know wii Americans like to make fun of shit wii don't like  :lol:

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
warning

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2006, 01:20:12 PM »

Here's a freebie slogan for the Nintendo Marketing Dept.

"Nintendo Wii - you're in the game!"
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2006, 01:34:55 PM »

Meh, I don't hate it, but really...who cares what it's called. All I know is that the new preview of Madden on the Revolution (or Wii) has me pretty excited for this system.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2006, 02:08:10 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
II'll go wiith years.  You know wii Ameriicans liike to make fun of shiit wii don't liike  :lol:

Fiixed that for you.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2006, 02:11:51 PM »

The Mario party games could go adult:

"Mario's Wii Wii Party 5"...

---
XBox Live: ScottW
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2006, 02:20:09 PM »

Penny Arcade probably has it more correct than anyone:
The range of responses thus far have not been terribly surprising.  It's the usual camps, really, and I don't know if these positions exist throughout all of human dialogue or if they are local to our merry band, but they are known to me.  People who hate it because they hate X, people who hate it because it is not good, people who like it because other people hate it, people who like it because they are "above the fray," and people who like it because they like X.   The first million times I saw this scene play out I could always find some piquant flavor in the proceedings, something that made each conflict unique.   Now all I see is a kind of template superimposed over every motive, as though the argument were taking place between cells on a spreadsheet...

Up until now, they've done an almost miraculous job maintaining enthusiasm for what is really a very unorthodox idea.  To be honest, I sort of thought this would be the easy part.

Of course, the comic is pretty funny too.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2006, 03:11:03 PM »

PA had some good points - especially the problems of a confusing name that doesn't have a clear meaning to consumers. But a quick editorial on N-Sider had a really good point as well - Wii is far removed from the likes of PlayStation, Xbox, and even Nintendo / NES / SNES / N64 / GameCube / etc. It's not the Nintendo Wii, it's just Wii. In a sense, there's no baggage with the name. Just consumers walking up to a kiosk, wondering what the hell Wii is - even trying to figure out how to say it is engaging - and picking up the new controller to find out. But I'm more worried than ever that the system's going to interest my parents more than myself.

Only time will tell if Nintendo made a big mistake, or came up with a brilliant name. Guh huh huh - wii will see.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2006, 03:58:09 PM »

Here is a link to a blog I felt summed up my feelings about the name and how others are reacting to it:

http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1467976

His ending line sums it up best:

I'm not in love with Wii -- but Wii works.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: