http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 06:02:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo Announces Nintendo Network  (Read 445 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:20:43 PM »

http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/mashable/20120127/tc_mashable/nintendo_announces_online_gaming_network

The network won't just be a place where users can play games against each other online -- Iwata said it would also offer full downloads of game titles, some add-ons and access to other digital content. That would be a big upgrade from the limited network connectivity that currently exists on Nintendo's hardware.

I imagine they'll keep it free, since it really doesn't sound much different what they have already, just no friend codes!  of course I wonder if this means we'll see patches for their titles...  it's rare but they do occasionally get bugs in their Metroid or Zelda games.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:18:59 PM »

And once again Nintendo plays catch-up with current technology just when the other companies are about to go to the next level. Sony is moving towards an entirely digital console experience with the Vita, and I'd expect the next Playstation to be the same. I'd be surprised if the next Microsoft console doesn't also go in the same direction. Nintendo's new solution just sounds like the good old Playstation Network, but it has evolved a lot and is going even further now.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »

I'll believe Nintendo getting online when I actually see them implement the service. They have allot of work to do.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »

this took entirely too long for them to realize a network is a beneficial part of a console's appeal.  but what can you expect given their focus on a being a generation behind the current one.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:37:58 PM »

That announcement would have been appropriate for the Wii and might have even warranted a bit of excitement. Otherwise, yah missed the boat Big N.  Roll Eyes
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on January 30, 2012, 04:02:13 PM

I'll believe Nintendo getting online when I actually see them implement the service. They have allot of work to do.

This.

Forgive me if I am skeptical of Nintendo and their online plans. It has been pretty much a trainwreck for the Wii/DS/3ds.  frown

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 01, 2012, 09:59:53 PM

Quote from: Jumangi on January 30, 2012, 04:02:13 PM

This.

Forgive me if I am skeptical of Nintendo and their online plans. It has been pretty much a trainwreck for the Wii/DS/3ds.  frown

True. At least they are trying to address the need, even if it turns out to be too little too late. Still, I think there have been some positive signs recently, like being able to download demos for 3DS, even on a limited basis.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »

Too little too late, IMO.

Nintendo are always a generation or two behind, and the Wii U which doesn't even have DVD or Blu-ray playback (it's 2012, get with the times nintendo!) is no exception.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 04:27:40 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on February 01, 2012, 10:27:07 PM

Nintendo are always a generation or two behind, and the Wii U which doesn't even have DVD or Blu-ray playback (it's 2012, get with the times nintendo!) is no exception.

this wouldn't be such a huge deal if they were dvd as most people probably already own one anyways.  but not making it a bd player (assuming this is what it is) is just stupid.  this isn't the world of 2005 when both blu ray and hd dvd were plausible.  BD is pretty much the accepted form of HD now and will be for some time given how little HD streaming has improved in the last few years. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 04:40:21 AM »

Quote from: Caine on February 02, 2012, 04:27:40 AM

Quote from: corruptrelic on February 01, 2012, 10:27:07 PM

this wouldn't be such a huge deal if they were dvd as most people probably already own one anyways.  but not making it a bd player (assuming this is what it is) is just stupid.  this isn't the world of 2005 when both blu ray and hd dvd were plausible.  BD is pretty much the accepted form of HD now and will be for some time given how little HD streaming has improved in the last few years. 

Blu Ray had a small gain last year overall (something like 20%), but sales are still below DVDs.  This may improve with the new consoles, but that could be another year and a half out, if not two.

OTOH, digital sales have been climbing quickly.  Up something like 50% over last year, and gaining.  The various formats are in every console, many players and even many TVs.  My hunch is the industry seems to think this is where we're heading fast.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »

I completely disagree with the notion that Nintendo needs to include a BD player, I would argue they don't even need DVD playback capability. Nintendo isn't aiming to be an all-in-one entertainment box like Microsoft and Sony, they don't have a profit model that relies as heavily on licensing and royalties fees. Nintendo makes money by selling a boat load of hardware and first-party software at profit.

I also disagree that they "missed the boat" on their network infrastructure because most people who bought a Wii didn't buy it for an online multiplayer experience, they bought it for the living room multiplayer experience.

I think the Nintendo Network looks promising, and yes I'm skeptical, but I don't think it's too little or too late.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: