http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 02:35:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo and Bungie take shots at eachother  (Read 2047 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:40:43 PM »

I thought this was awesome, it starts with Nintendo's Miyamoto taking a shot at Bungie and their Halo series, and Bungie returning fire at Nintendo and Mario. Here's what they said:

Nintendo's shot:

In a new interview with Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto, Entertainment Weekly's Geoff Keighley asks the video game legend if he feels he's losing touch with American gamers because games like Halo often sell more copies.

Miyamoto responded, "I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design. I always try to create new experiences that are fun to play."

Bungie's response:

Speaking to our colleagues at Joystiq, Bungie lead write Frank O'Connor responded to Miyamoto saying, "I just want to go on the record and say that Bungie is hard at work on a side-scrolling platform game featuring some plumbers -- I'm not going to say what their ethnicity is, it's none of anyone's business -- but we took that as a gauntlet, a sort of glove slap, and we're going to respond in 2D scrolling style. That's all I'm saying."
---------

Personally, I see where Miyamoto is coming from with his comment, although it's also easy to see how Bungie may be offended by it. And actually, the full interview of Miyamoto is a really good one if you want to read it: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20037961,00.html?cid=recirc-peopleRecirc
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:42:24 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:57:27 PM »

you do realize Bungie's response is tongue in cheek right?

also I don't think many folks classify what miyamoto said as taking a shot at Bungie or Halo

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:07:45 PM »

I didn't think Miyamoto was taking a shot at Bungie or Halo either. He was merely describing his philosophy on designing games. Grand Theft Auto or Madden could easily replace Halo in his statement. Now, if he said something about Halo being incredibly easy to make and a dumb game, well that would be different.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 01:22:39 AM »

i could totally respond to what miyamoto said, but i dont wanna - so nah nah

smile
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 01:36:29 AM »

Yeah, I think lots of people took Miyamoto's comments the wrong way.  He isn't interested in making realistic-type games.  He could, if he wanted to, but he doesn't.  And honestly, I am glad he doesn't, because I think they would be mediocre games since he doesn't have his heart in it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 12:51:19 PM »

Mediocre; you mean like Super Mario Sunshine? They've been milking that same cow for the past 2 decades. :lol: If Master Chief could get that many titles under his belt it would be a sad consumer market indeed.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 12:59:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 15, 2007, 01:36:29 AM

Yeah, I think lots of people took Miyamoto's comments the wrong way.  He isn't interested in making realistic-type games.  He could, if he wanted to, but he doesn't.  And honestly, I am glad he doesn't, because I think they would be mediocre games since he doesn't have his heart in it.

I think it was a cheap shot. I think it was a typical Japanese developer holier-than-thou we are better than the Western dev comment that slipped out in that interview and now is getting apologized away. I read the interview a couple times. It was dismissive, it was "I am miyamoto, I am better than Bungie, if I wanted to make that game, snap-I could replicate the success of a shooter like Halo". This from someone who has never made a successful shooter, and of course has milked the same franchises for nigh 20 years now. When anyone in the Japanese development world can make a shooter as competent as Halo, please let me know.

I really don't think it's that big a deal now, I just think it was flippant and obnoxious and as usual negative Nintendo news is explained away. Why can't the guy just have said something dumb?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 02:20:31 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 15, 2007, 12:59:56 PM

Why can't the guy just have said something dumb?

'cause Sony bought exclusive rights to doing that  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 07:51:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 15, 2007, 02:20:31 PM

No, I think they might hold a patent or two on it (or their marketing subdivision), but I doubt they have exclusive rights.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 12:51:02 AM »

Quote from: Purge on May 15, 2007, 07:51:34 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 15, 2007, 02:20:31 PM

No, I think they might hold a patent or two on it (or their marketing subdivision), but I doubt they have exclusive rights.

OK, maybe those expired with Ken leaving the company......

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 02:36:29 AM »

Along with a few execs who left under quieter circumstances.

In fact, anyone else notice how Sony's PR stupidity has been little to nothing nowadays?

Anyway,  that Miyamoto comment is taken way out of context.  In fact, the actual quote is much larger, than the few sentences that's posted.  But yeah, basically he says he chooses not to follow trends just to follow trends, and prefers to make just good games regardless of trends.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 02:42:23 AM »

basically he says he chooses not to follow trends just to follow trends, and prefers to make just good games regardless of trends.

unless the trend is mario - then hell ride that trend 20 odd years til the millions come home
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 02:53:33 AM »

hey I dont think thats a "shot".
And whatever works, right? If people keep paying for Mario, why stop? Sure it gets repeatious, but when Mario Pro FootBall year 2074 comes out, and still sells a million copies... That's success.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 04:44:34 AM »

Quote from: Darren8r on May 16, 2007, 02:53:33 AM

And whatever works, right? If people keep paying for Mario, why stop? Sure it gets repeatious, but when Mario Pro FootBall year 2074 comes out, and still sells a million copies... That's success.

Yeah but the point is he's acting like when he does it its original, but when other's do it its recycled.

Sean Lama
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 06:04:22 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 16, 2007, 04:44:34 AM

Quote from: Darren8r on May 16, 2007, 02:53:33 AM

Yeah but the point is he's acting like when he does it its original, but when other's do it its recycled.

Huh?
I'm sure everyone that reads this interview has a different perception, maybe when you read it the voice in your head has a little edge behind it to make it sound like he thinks he's the greatest. When i read it, it's just mono-tone, a simple answer. I don't get any feelings of "originallity factors" taken into consideration, I just think of it as an interview and a simple answer.

Though most of the stuff he creates is just Mario... SOMETHING. Its not like he reinvented tennis, golf or soccer. He just tossed Mario elements into it, to make it half original, maybe more fun, arcade-ish?

I think he's saying he enjoys making fun, creative games rather than shooter more serious games, SUCH AS, Halo. He probably could have said, "I could make Killzone." And we could call that a shot at Sony.

Or "I could make GTA." Well now he's bashing Rockstar.

I think Bungie jumped the gun on they're statement and should get back to working on Halo, rather than coming up with witty press replies.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 01:23:56 PM »

How are constant rehashes of the same franchise, often with tiny differences, "creative" Darren8r?
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 03:41:44 PM »

If they were all just simply rehashes, every Mario game would be a 2d side-scroller.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 03:48:06 PM »

Quote from: Darren8r on May 16, 2007, 06:04:22 AM

I think Bungie jumped the gun on they're statement and should get back to working on Halo, rather than coming up with witty press replies.
Yeah, I bet that interview set them back at least a month.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 04:46:18 PM »

Quote from: Laner on May 16, 2007, 03:48:06 PM

I would at least say they need to spend some time working on their storylines.  Halo's ending was obviously created after playing through Half-Life, and I haven't heard good things about H2's storyline... although there are claims that Bungie's deathmatch skillz are unparalleled.  So at least creating a game isn't getting in the way of pwning noobs.

It's all kind of ironic, since Bungie used to have a big following of people who loved the stories in their games (Halo was the first Bungie game I personally played through; tried Myth, but couldn't get into it).
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 05:24:13 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on May 16, 2007, 04:46:18 PM

I would at least say they need to spend some time working on their storylines.  Halo's ending was obviously created after playing through Half-Life, and I haven't heard good things about H2's storyline... although there are claims that Bungie's deathmatch skillz are unparalleled.  So at least creating a game isn't getting in the way of pwning noobs.

It's all kind of ironic, since Bungie used to have a big following of people who loved the stories in their games (Halo was the first Bungie game I personally played through; tried Myth, but couldn't get into it).

I thought Halo 2's story was fine except for the ending.  It's a shooter, not Shakespere.  They have admitted that they slapped the ending on because they ran out of time.  Although if it comes down to polishing the multiplayer or creating an elaborate single player ending, personally I'll take the former.  Hopefully Halo 3 will have both.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 08:22:18 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on May 16, 2007, 05:24:13 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on May 16, 2007, 04:46:18 PM

I thought Halo 2's story was fine except for the ending.  It's a shooter, not Shakespere.  They have admitted that they slapped the ending on because they ran out of time.  Although if it comes down to polishing the multiplayer or creating an elaborate single player ending, personally I'll take the former.  Hopefully Halo 3 will have both.

Halo 2's story was dumber than most Japanese RPGs. Talking aquatic fern?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 08:36:26 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on May 16, 2007, 08:22:18 PM

Halo 2's story was dumber than most Japanese RPGs.

Are you serious.   icon_eek

I've seen sillier things in the 1st 10 minutes of some JRPGS.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 08:41:46 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 09:12:57 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on May 16, 2007, 08:36:26 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on May 16, 2007, 08:22:18 PM

Halo 2's story was dumber than most Japanese RPGs.

Are you serious.   icon_eek

I've seen sillier things in the 1st 10 minutes of some JRPGS.

The aquatic fern was completely inappropriate given the game's context. It doesn't fit the style and tone of the Halo series. It'd be like introducing Kermit the Frog as a main character on '24'.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 09:15:10 PM »

That sounds awesome (in a silly sort of way).  I can't wait to meet the talking aquatic fern.
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 09:21:29 PM »

Well, it's certainly more original than the headcrabs.  There wasn't sentient fauna in Half Life 2, was there?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 09:24:30 PM »

Quote from: warning on May 16, 2007, 09:15:10 PM

That sounds awesome (in a silly sort of way).  I can't wait to meet the talking aquatic fern.

Feed me, Seymour!

The plant's name is Gravemind.  That's not silly - it's ominous!
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 09:51:28 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 16, 2007, 01:23:56 PM

How are constant rehashes of the same franchise, often with tiny differences, "creative" Darren8r?

Exactly my point as I stated in my previous post.

Quote from: darren8r
Though most of the stuff he creates is just Mario... SOMETHING. Its not like he reinvented tennis, golf or soccer. He just tossed Mario elements into it, to make it half original, maybe more fun, arcade-ish?

Then I went on to start a new paragraph saying he probably prefers to create more creative based games, key word probably, again I'm not sure, I am not personal friends with the man, just my opinion. I mean the guy is responsible for more than Mario, isn't he? Zelda? Starfox? Pikmin?

Most of those games, I'd say are pretty creative, not everyday someone thinks "Hey lets slap a fox in a plane"?

I'm just saying I don't think he was attacking Halo, I'm not here to support the guy, honestly I didn't know of his name before this post.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 09:54:50 PM »

ATLEAST! What were they thinking! Insanity!

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 02:23:01 AM »

Quote from: Darren8r on May 16, 2007, 09:51:28 PM

Quote from: Calvin on May 16, 2007, 01:23:56 PM

Exactly my point as I stated in my previous post.

Quote from: darren8r

Then I went on to start a new paragraph saying he probably prefers to create more creative based games, key word probably, again I'm not sure, I am not personal friends with the man, just my opinion. I mean the guy is responsible for more than Mario, isn't he? Zelda? Starfox? Pikmin?

Most of those games, I'd say are pretty creative, not everyday someone thinks "Hey lets slap a fox in a plane"?

I'm just saying I don't think he was attacking Halo, I'm not here to support the guy, honestly I didn't know of his name before this post.

Starfox just proves that they smoke dope in japan.

Flippy? Come on. Tongue

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 03:03:13 AM »

Quote from: Purge on May 17, 2007, 02:23:01 AM

Starfox just proves that they smoke dope in japan.

Flippy? Come on. Tongue

LOL!
That's a good way to put it. Now that's "the funny" of the day on GT.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2007, 03:08:00 AM »

I was the originator of that idea, Nintendo stole it from me  disgust

Sean Lama
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 02:53:41 AM »

I dunno, I don't see what the big deal is.  They're both competent developers, and I don't doubt that Mya could make a fun shooter, and I'm sure the folks at Bungie could expand their game making horizons outside of FPS.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 03:22:50 AM »

Quote from: wonton on May 18, 2007, 02:53:41 AM

I dunno, I don't see what the big deal is.  They're both competent developers, and I don't doubt that Mya could make a fun shooter, and I'm sure the folks at Bungie could expand their game making horizons outside of FPS.

they did do the first 2 Myth games, which were pretty good.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 04:44:52 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2007, 03:22:50 AM

Quote from: wonton on May 18, 2007, 02:53:41 AM

they did do the first 2 Myth games, which were pretty good.

Pretty good??...just... pretty good?? Come on, both Myth's were awesome games! Myth 1 is even in the Gaming Hall of Fame; AAA quality all the way!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 06:12:29 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 18, 2007, 04:44:52 AM

Pretty good??...just... pretty good?? Come on, both Myth's were awesome games! Myth 1 is even in the Gaming Hall of Fame; AAA quality all the way!

I'm not a big RTS fan so I can only say pretty good.  I would love to see an RPG set in that world though.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2007, 07:01:12 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2007, 06:12:29 AM

Quote from: kronovan on May 18, 2007, 04:44:52 AM

I'm not a big RTS fan so I can only say pretty good.  I would love to see an RPG set in that world though.

Ceekay, damn...that's an excellent idea. I could really see it working as an MMORPG that featured Realm Vs Realm warfare. Dorfs wielding explosive Molotov cocktails FTW!!! smile thumbsup

Now back on topic... I really wish AAA quality game dev's like this didn't ever exchange blows or weren't drawn into comparison battles. As I've said on other websites in the past, it's like comparing the ripest apple with the ripest orange; both are so damn sweet there's really no point.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:14:58 AM by kronovan » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2007, 03:52:47 PM »

Myth and Myth2 were insanely good games.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: