http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 05:08:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo 3ds  (Read 913 times)
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2011, 02:20:31 PM »

So, a couple of months later what is everyone's verdict on the 3DS? It's my slow season at work and i'm looking at getting some sort of portable gaming to occupy myself. I might take the plunge on the Ipad next year, but for now some less than 2 bills would be ideal.

Anyhoo, yea or nay?
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »

Do you already have a DS?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 03:07:54 PM »

I think the tech is cool, but there is honestly not a single game for the system that interests me in the least.  It's a non-starter for me until they get at least a few decent RPG's.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 04:38:13 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 21, 2011, 03:07:54 PM

I think the tech is cool, but there is honestly not a single game for the system that interests me in the least.  It's a non-starter for me until they get at least a few decent RPG's.

I find Devil Survivor Overclocked, along with Ghost Recon to be excellent.

Overall, I'm disappointed with the system. The 3D works well, but there is a very small sweet spot that you are forced to hold the handheld within if you hope to get the correct effect. If you tilt too far up or down it is lost. The 3D effect is also eye-straining to me.

And Nintendo really dropped the ball, much like the original PSP, by including only 1 analog stick. They've released a peripheral in Japan which corrects this mistake, but after such a huge outcry over this mistake on the PSP you would think that Nintendo would have taken notice. Honestly, I think Nintendo looked at their smashing success with the DS, added a small gimmick, and then phoned in the design.

I think the Vita will mop the floor with the 3DS if Sony can curtail the piracy.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 21, 2011, 02:31:58 PM

Do you already have a DS?

Yeah, I would say it is a very minor improvement over a DSi so far, and personally I can't stand to use the 3D for any length of time so I have it turned off all the time anyway.  If you already own a DS of any form I would just wait until the inevitable refresh that improves on it since they're doing the weird tacked-on extra analog stick soon.  Maybe there will be some more "must have" 3DS games by then.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 10:47:09 PM »

I had bought a DS when it first came out, but sold it to a buddy awhile back. Kind of regretting it now. As far as portable gaming goes would you guys recommend a DS or PSP? I have no idea what the libraries look like now.

Eh, maybe I'll just break down and buy an IPad anyway.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 11:01:06 PM »

I think we'll know more about how good the 3DS is after this holiday season. That's when we'll see Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, and if they're any good it'll be worth it. Until then........
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 11:20:35 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 21, 2011, 11:01:06 PM

I think we'll know more about how good the 3DS is after this holiday season. That's when we'll see Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, and if they're any good it'll be worth it. Until then........

Wait, Kid Icarus didn't make it to the holiday release list?!  That had to be the most impressive 3DS game on display at PAX.  I had no idea then that it was so far from release; I even thought it was supposed to be a launch title.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 01:45:51 AM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on October 21, 2011, 10:47:09 PM

I had bought a DS when it first came out, but sold it to a buddy awhile back. Kind of regretting it now. As far as portable gaming goes would you guys recommend a DS or PSP? I have no idea what the libraries look like now.

The PSP has some awesome RPG's and SRPG's, but I don't know that I'd spring for one right now since the Vita is just around the corner.

Eh, maybe I'll just break down and buy an IPad anyway.

Good choice.  There's a ridiculous amount of fantastic gaming to be had on the iPad/iPhone.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 03:42:15 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 21, 2011, 11:20:35 PM

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 21, 2011, 11:01:06 PM

Wait, Kid Icarus didn't make it to the holiday release list?!  That had to be the most impressive 3DS game on display at PAX.  I had no idea then that it was so far from release; I even thought it was supposed to be a launch title.

Early 2012 now.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 06:04:20 AM »

My son saved up and bought a 3ds for his birthday.  This was back when it released.  We played it a lot that first month.  Think it's collected lots of dust since.  He plays more games now on the iPad or iPod we have.  Plus it's much easier on the wallet to spring for a less than $5 game than a $40 game. 

We're pretty much thinking of trading it in/selling it at this point. 

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 01:24:52 AM »

Bought it as soon as it came out.

Didn't really care for it and traded it here 2 days later.

I think Nintendo really needs to wake up and stop releasing underpowered hardware to join the rest of the competition. (My 7 year old PSP has as good of graphics as the 3DS.)

I never could notice the 3D either, so ended up playing in 2D mode.

I haven't played the PSP much lately either though as the online communities are almost all gone. When I do play, games like SOCOM are always full of cheaters anyway and take away from having any fun.
Hopefully the Vita fixes that.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 02:24:43 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on October 23, 2011, 01:24:52 AM

I think Nintendo really needs to wake up and stop releasing underpowered hardware to join the rest of the competition. (My 7 year old PSP has as good of graphics as the 3DS.)

I think the rest of the competition is now mobile devices, the iOS/Android market.  People aren't wondering whether they're going to buy a Vita or a 3DS; they're wondering why they need a $200 device for playing $40 games when they already own a device that plays $1 games.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »

I bought one (two actually) with trade credit early on. I knew I was going to want it when Layton came out. Still waiting. (the series is now coming to iOS in some form, btw).

I was in the middle of playing Radiant Historia when I got my iPad. Haven't touched it since except to swap the cartridge into the 3DS. Of course, I had hundreds of hours of time on the system before it came out doing QA for Nintendogs and Zelda so felt no immediate rush to pick up and play on the system.

I do actually think the hardware is pretty great. People say it has PSP level graphics like that is a bad thing, but I think that's an awesome thing compared to the previous versions. I would love to see some great RPGs with graphic of that quality, FMV, voice, etc.

Right now, the software lineup just isn't there. There are only certain kinds of games I want to play on a handheld anymore versus my iPad, both because the screen is bigger and because the games are so much less expensive.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »

A new iPad can kill a need to game on anything else.  I had a two month period where I wasn't motivated to hit the big consoles at all.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 03:24:03 AM »

I would say that it is essentially a failure.  I mean there are no other 3DS game threads on the first page of the forums (and I assume none on page 2, 3 or 4 either).  Here in Japan the 3DS is already cheaper than what the DS Lite was for practically it's entire life cycle-and it hasn't even been out a year yet! They've already come out with an add-on which provides another analog nub.  Are they going to include that in a hardware refresh? What about the people who have already purchased a 3DS? It's not exactly like going from a DS to a DS Lite.  Part of the reason for this failure to break into the market is because of the iPod and Android gaming but it's also partly Nintendo's fault.  They really missed the boat on this one.  I think the Vita will be the winner (well out of the two of them) this time around.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »

We traded ours in over the weekend and my son got about $200 in credit. He picked up Skylanders, the new Ratchet and Clank and pre-ordered the new Sonic.  I think he'll have a lot more fun with those than watching the 3DS collect dust.  There was a time in our house full of consoles that the kids played their DS's more than anything else.  They don't touch them any more.  I think the most telling sign of their demise was on our last two vacations, they didn't take them, opting instead to play games on the ipod touch or ipad.  Previously they took their DS's everywhere.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 05:32:21 PM »

my 3DS is on the verge of being traded in too, but mainly because I already have too many other systems (PC, 360 and Wii) taking up my time. 

Of course my Vita preorder is mainly in place for the possibility of a good eBay auction since I haven't been drawn in by any of the launch titles yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 05:06:21 AM »

I'm seriously thinking of trading it in as well. I just don't use mine at all. There's nothing out there worth grabbing, and full sized consoles/my PC take all of my time.

Then again I didn't use my DSL that much either, but at least there were enough games coming out on it to find something worth spending time on.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 02:21:13 PM »

I use mine all the time, though the last 3D game worth buying was Star Fox.  Still, I  have Layton and Kirby Mass Attack to tide me over until Mario 3DS and Mario Kart 7 come out.  I'm definitely disappointed the device didn't seem to take off here.  I am slowly warming up to some iOS stuff, but it still scares me to no end that it seems to be the future of mobile gaming, just because the prices are .99.  I'd much rather pay more money and get a much better experience like what Nintendo provides with their first-party titles.  I've bought quite a number of third-party stuff since the system launched, but probably the best of them were the Ghost Recon game and Resident Evil Mercenaries.  The others I bought were two Lego games and a couple of others.  The standouts on the system are remakes of old games (Zelda and Star Fox).  The new Mario games coming out will change that, though.  Also, looking into the future, I am very interested in Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, and Mario Tennis.

One other disappointment is the issue where closing the lid scratches up the top screen.  I need to get around to getting Nintendo to replace mine, but I also play it enough that I don't want to lose it for the time it takes to send in, especially with two great games coming up.  I will probably call them in January to send it in.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 04:12:14 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 26, 2011, 02:21:13 PM

One other disappointment is the issue where closing the lid scratches up the top screen.  I need to get around to getting Nintendo to replace mine, but I also play it enough that I don't want to lose it for the time it takes to send in, especially with two great games coming up.  I will probably call them in January to send it in.

Scratches the top screen? That doesn't make any sense at all. How could they develop a portable console that does...

*pops open 3DS* *looks closely at screen protector of top screen* *notices line on screen protector that lines up with the bottom screen*

Well I'll be damned.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 06:24:24 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 26, 2011, 04:12:14 PM

Quote from: The Grue on October 26, 2011, 02:21:13 PM

Scratches the top screen? That doesn't make any sense at all. How could they develop a portable console that does...

*pops open 3DS* *looks closely at screen protector of top screen* *notices line on screen protector that lines up with the bottom screen*

Well I'll be damned.

Yeah, at first, it was just dirt and I could wipe it off.  Then it got to where it was no longer able to be wiped off and it is two vertical lines on the upper screen.  The only times I notice it is if that part of the screen is black or there is reflection if I am playing during the day time.  All they would have had to do is put some little feet on the upper screen to keep it off the lower screen.  People have fixed it with their own home remedies but nobody was talking about it being an issue back when I first noticed it, so I didn't know it could be a potential problem.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 06:34:16 PM »

I'm thinking they must have fixed that in the newer versions, since my 3DS does have two little rubber feet on the edges of the flip top and I don't see any lines on the screen.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 07:19:46 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 26, 2011, 06:34:16 PM

I'm thinking they must have fixed that in the newer versions, since my 3DS does have two little rubber feet on the edges of the flip top and I don't see any lines on the screen.

Good to know.  One thing that has made me delay on calling it in is wondering if they have a fix or anything.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 07:46:20 PM »

Mine is a launch model and I have the feet as well. Still have the lines.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 11:01:50 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 26, 2011, 07:46:20 PM

Mine is a launch model and I have the feet as well. Still have the lines.

Yeah, in looking at it, I guess it does have something there.  Obviously, it isn't tall enough or something, though, because it makes the screen get marked.  Maybe they made them bigger in newer versions?  If not, then even if they repair it, it will get marked again.  I might call them just to see what my options are.

You can see them in this picture of a 3DS.  These are what mine look like.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 11:13:25 PM »

Alright, well I gave them a call and they first suggested cleaning it, which I had tried on a basic level, but I think I might spend a little more time seeing if I can get rid of the marks (just in case it is something stuck to the screen and not damage to it).  I did ask if they were doing any modifications to the device after repair to keep it from happening again and the agent said no.  That makes me worry a little bit.  So, I will try to see what I can do with cleaning and if it doesn't work, I might wait until beginning of next year to send it in after I have had some time with Mario Kary 7 and Mario 3DS.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: