http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 06:50:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo's 3D House of DS  (Read 17942 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2010, 03:33:54 PM »

There's a lot of nifty stuff you can do with this device, according to that chart. However, you should keep in mind that there's no way you can use all of those features at once and keep a usable framerate. I'd be surprised if you can even use more than half at the same time.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 21, 2010, 02:42:37 PM

The Wii can do AA.  It's just takes a lot of processing power, so not every game uses it.

Also, there are levels of AA.  2x is still gonna have jaggies.  Even 4x will, but they'll be less noticeable on the smaller 3DS screen.

Yeah, I think 2x will go a long way on a screen that size.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2010, 05:39:41 AM »

This article has me a little worried.

"I have to refrain from talking specifically about the price point," said Iwata. "What I can confirm is that, in terms of the production costs, it will cost more than the costs for the Nintendo DS today.

With the XL at $190, this sounds to me like the 3DS might be $250.  If so, that's too much for me.  At $200, I'd probably get it day one, but at $250, I'd wait for a price drop.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2010, 06:23:42 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 22, 2010, 05:39:41 AM

"I have to refrain from talking specifically about the price point," said Iwata. "What I can confirm is that, in terms of the production costs, it will cost more than the costs for the Nintendo DS today.

With the XL at $190, this sounds to me like the 3DS might be $250.  If so, that's too much for me.  At $200, I'd probably get it day one, but at $250, I'd wait for a price drop.

It might be $250, if they can maintain the buzz, but I don't see N getting greedy on the console side. 

Also, keep in mind the current price for a DS is only @ $130 (and that's assuming you don' ttake his quote even more literally - if you can find a DS phat, it runs even lower)!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2010, 06:29:51 AM »

Michael Pachter commented that Nintendo probably realized in hindsight that they sold the Wii too cheap, so don't be surprised if you see the 3DS costing more than the most expensive DS. The 3D screen isn't cheap to produce either, and Nintendo has a policy of not selling hardware at a loss (unlike Sony and Microsoft).

My prediction is $249 for the bare-bones version, and a bundle version for $299 with a memory card and a game.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2010, 02:26:48 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 22, 2010, 06:29:51 AM

My prediction is $249 for the bare-bones version, and a bundle version for $299 with a memory card and a game.

Why would they want to have their first failure in years?  To price a handheld the same as a full console - that can play DVDs, music, has facebook, online games, etc. - would be a big failure.  It just wouldn't work. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on June 22, 2010, 02:26:48 PM

Quote from: TiLT on June 22, 2010, 06:29:51 AM

Why would they want to have their first failure in years?  To price a handheld the same as a full console - that can play DVDs, music, has facebook, online games, etc. - would be a big failure.  It just wouldn't work. 

I disagree. The sales numbers would be lower, but they'd earn lots more per console sold. They're also in a near monopoly situation for handheld consoles when this thing is released, so it's easier for them to charge a high price.

Watching the latest Pach Attack on GameTrailers, it seems Pachter agrees with me that the price is going to be above $200.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »

same here.  I can easily afford it at $250 but I just refuse to pay that much for a handheld.  heck, I'm holding out on a PSP until there's a decent bundle available (which looks to be the Kingdom Hearts one due in September).

[edit] that said, if this is true about Resident Evil Revelations, then wooooooOW.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:57:28 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »

They said it would cost more to produce, and that they wouldn't sell it at a loss but that in no way meamns the price will be higher. They have been making money on the original from the start and they may be willing to trim their profit in the hardware. I do not believe that they will set a pricepoint higher than the Wii. I think they'd have canned the system first.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2010, 07:07:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 22, 2010, 02:53:24 PM

same here.  I can easily afford it at $250 but I just refuse to pay that much for a handheld.  heck, I'm holding out on a PSP until there's a decent bundle available (which looks to be the Kingdom Hearts one due in September).

[edit] that said, if this is true about Resident Evil Revelations, then wooooooOW.

From what I saw while at E3, the resolution looks cranked up in that trailer.  I won't say it won't be able to handle that, but right now I don't see it looking that good.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2010, 08:23:39 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 22, 2010, 03:34:41 PM

They said it would cost more to produce, and that they wouldn't sell it at a loss but that in no way meamns the price will be higher. They have been making money on the original from the start and they may be willing to trim their profit in the hardware. I do not believe that they will set a pricepoint higher than the Wii. I think they'd have canned the system first.

I agree that it would look silly to price it higher than the Wii, but the DSi XL is only $10 cheaper than the Wii.  Given how much more powerful the 3DS is than the XL, I can't imagine they'd only charge $10 more for it.  My guess is $229.99, at which point my decision whether or not to buy it will depend on the launch lineup.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2010, 02:27:02 AM »

Quote from: Graham on June 22, 2010, 07:07:23 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 22, 2010, 02:53:24 PM

From what I saw while at E3, the resolution looks cranked up in that trailer.  I won't say it won't be able to handle that, but right now I don't see it looking that good.

Yup, I just watched the trailer, and while the texturing and model details look very believable for the 3DS hardware (based on what I've read so far), the resolution is higher than what the 3DS actually runs at.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2010, 05:48:55 AM »

I'm a bit late on this, but if there is anyone else out there that had heard about Anti-Aliasing a zillion times, but really didn't know what it is (like me) - here's my two cents, hope it helps:

What is Anti-Aliasing?

Anti-Aliasing is a method of fooling the eye that a jagged edge is really smooth. Anti-Aliasing is often referred in games and on graphics cards. In games especially the chance to smooth edges of the images goes a long way to creating a realistic 3D image on the screen. Remember though that Anti-Aliasing does not actually smooth any edges of images it merely fools the eye. Like a lot of things they are only designed to be good enough. If you can't tell the difference then that's fine. Lets take a look at the example below to demonstrate the effects of Anti-Aliasing.

aliasing-big    aliasing-big2

The letter on the left is a blown up letter a with no anti-aliasing. The letter on the right has had anti-aliasing applied to it. In this blown up form it looks like its simply blurred but if we reduce the size down to a more standard size you may see the difference.

aaliasing2

Now look closely at the two letters. You can still tell that the letter of the left is jagged but the letter on the right looks a lot smoother and less blurry than the example above. Remember I have only shrunk the image down back to normal size and have not altered anything else to the image at all. So as you can see, Anti-Aliasing bring a much more pleasing image to the eye. Something like what comes out of a high class printer rather than what you can be used to seeing when on a computer screen.

Aw, rats! I see the example pics didn't copy over to this, so this is the site  if you want to see them, or understand more.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2010, 06:08:03 AM »

If you thought that was nifty, have a look at how ClearType in Windows works. smile
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 25, 2010, 06:08:03 AM

If you thought that was nifty, have a look at how ClearType in Windows works. smile

From that site:

ClearType is a trademark for Microsoft's implementation of subpixel rendering technology. ClearType attempts to improve the appearance of text on certain types of computer display screens by sacrificing color fidelity for additional intensity variation. This trade-off is asserted to work well on LCD flat panel monitors.

ClearType was first announced at the November 1998 COMDEX exhibition. The technology was first introduced in software in January 2000[1] as an always-on feature of Microsoft Reader, which was released to the public in August 2000. ClearType was later introduced as an operating system feature in Windows XP, where it was kept turned off by default. In Windows Vista, ClearType is turned on by default. In Microsoft Office 2007, Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Live Messenger ClearType is turned on by default, even if it is not enabled throughout the operating system. ClearType is also an integrated component of the Windows Presentation Foundation text-rendering engine.

I don't think I get out enough!  I don't believe I've heard of most of this stuff, like ClearType, MS Reader, COMDEX... and that whole bit explaining about XP and Vista and what is enabled or not, good grief, Mr Wilson.  It must be time to put my laptop down and pick up a game controller again!   Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2010, 03:34:24 PM »

kotaku reports that apparently reggie fils-aime answered "next year" when jimmy fallon asked when it would be out. 

take that however you want as their hasn't been an official date yet.  i stand by my earlier guess about japan-nov/dec 2010, US/Europe-march 2011

seeing as he actually answered with something, i wish jimmy had asked him about price.  might have got a ballpark figure or at least an intended ballpark.  hoping they release it ala apple;  drop the prices of the two current models and put the 3ds into the highest current bracket.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2010, 07:00:40 PM »

I put $300 away for it already so I'll buy it up to the $299 price point.  I really think it will be $249 though and will include a game.  Most likely(hopefully) Zelda:OoT remake. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2010, 11:47:20 PM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on June 26, 2010, 07:00:40 PM

I put $300 away for it already so I'll buy it up to the $299 price point.  I really think it will be $249 though and will include a game.  Most likely(hopefully) Zelda:OoT remake. 

That would definitely bring in the people on the fence when it comes to any price point.

I say there's no way it'll be $299. $249 maybe, but I still think that Nintendo will fight hard for that $199 price point.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2010, 04:48:14 AM »

According to IGN, Reggie said it will be out everywhere by March 31, 2011.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2010, 02:24:44 PM »

on the new tag mode.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2010, 05:36:54 AM »

Here are some screenshots from Super Street Fighter IV for the 3DS  icon_eek

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2010, 05:38:47 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 27, 2010, 05:36:54 AM

Here are some screenshots from Super Street Fighter IV for the 3DS  icon_eek

yeah, nice, but can I look up Chun Li's skirt?

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2010, 03:10:51 AM »

Details from Nintendo's conference at IGN -
* 3DS launches in Japan on February 26, 2011 for 25,000 Yen (~$300)

*Available in blue or black and comes with a 2 GB SD card

* Miis

* Virtual console-like system for downloading Gameboy and GBA games and classic games in 3D

* Mega Man Legends 3 coming to 3DS
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:17:23 AM by EddieA » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2010, 06:27:06 AM »

the aqua blue one.  not sure why IGN has a red one pictured since they say black or blue.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2010, 08:44:58 AM »

Siliconera has a video showing off the announced games.  It's an odd mix, with wildly varying quality of graphics.  Some games look almost 360/PS3 quality, while others look to be on par with the Wii or worse.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »

That's all great.  When the hell is it coming to America?!?!?

I'm bummed that it's February for Japan, as I imagine the best we can hope for is a simultaneous release.  I'm betting more like Spring.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2010, 12:17:42 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 29, 2010, 12:07:05 PM

I'm bummed that it's February for Japan, as I imagine the best we can hope for is a simultaneous release.  I'm betting more like Spring.

Nintendo also announced the US and European release for March.  I hope those factories are cranking them out, as I'm guessing they're going to need a lot of units.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2010, 01:12:01 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 29, 2010, 08:44:58 AM

Siliconera has a video showing off the announced games.  It's an odd mix, with wildly varying quality of graphics.  Some games look almost 360/PS3 quality, while others look to be on par with the Wii or worse.

The short RE video looks awesome. Snake Eater, resident evil and zelda are all day one purchases for me.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2010, 01:36:40 PM »

And a feature listing from the show:

3DS will launch on February 26 in Japan and March in America and Europe, Nintendo said in a Japanese showcase today.

The price given for it was 25,000 yen for Japan. No price was given for America and Europe.

Specific launch plans for both US and EU will be announced “later.”

Nintendo will be bundling a 2Gb SD card with the system at launch come February.

Company president Satoru Iwata also confirmed that Game Boy and Game Boy Advance titles will be sold as VC games.

He also said Nintendo will sell “classic games” that are viewable in 3D.

25,000 yen comes to about $300, give or take.

And games shown (which you can see here include a new Pilotwings game, Zelda 64 3D, a new Animal Crossing, Star Fox 64 3D, a Dead or Alive fighting game, Resident Evil, and more.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2010, 02:11:27 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 29, 2010, 12:17:42 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 29, 2010, 12:07:05 PM

Nintendo also announced the US and European release for March.  I hope those factories are cranking them out, as I'm guessing they're going to need a lot of units.

I'm pre-ordering one as soon as they are available for pre-order.  hell, I may do multiple places just to be sure, and if I get extra there's always ebay  Tongue

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2010, 02:36:38 PM »

Nintendo is predicting 4m sales a month.

Yet, oddly, I am so excited for this, that even with a $300 price tag (though if they're smart, it'll be $275 or even $250 in the US), I can see that happening.

Unlike, say, MS's pipedream of 3m Kinect sales in 2 months.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2010, 09:58:54 PM »

I can't believe Nintendo would be stupid enough to ask $300 for one of their handhelds...
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »

Here's what they're speculating: The yen is strong against the dollar, and Nintendo is usually pretty careful about price points. Expect it to be about $249 when it hits the states. IIRC, the DS launched at 15000 yen and was $149 here.

And when you think about it, $249 isn't that crazy. The DSiXL was $229, sold like hotcakes, and was basically a DSi in a bigger shell.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2010, 12:56:13 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on September 29, 2010, 11:09:52 PM

And when you think about it, $249 isn't that crazy. The DSiXL was $229, sold like hotcakes, and was basically a DSi in a bigger shell.

I'm pretty sure the DSiXL launched at $190 and is now down to $170.  For the 3DS, I'm guessing either $250 or $270.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2010, 01:31:29 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on September 29, 2010, 11:09:52 PM

Here's what they're speculating: The yen is strong against the dollar, and Nintendo is usually pretty careful about price points. Expect it to be about $249 when it hits the states. IIRC, the DS launched at 15000 yen and was $149 here.

Wheres the news about the XL selling like "hotcakes"? NPD's don't break down sales numbers and I haven't seen Nintendo say specific numbers.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2010, 04:51:30 PM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on June 26, 2010, 07:00:40 PM

Don't forget tax slywink

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2010, 04:53:41 PM »

This looks awesome to me, this is the first time (as far as I know) where a portable has had a graphical advantage over the current batch of consoles. I'll be pre-ordering through Amazon as soon as they're available... Or perhaps I'll go to GameStop's inevitable midnight launch. Hmm....

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2010, 07:36:38 PM »

I have serious angst about pre-ordering, buying, or trying to buy, a 3DS at launch.  I know if I do, Nintendo will surely release a limited edition that I want even more.  The questions of course are: will an LE be made... when might one be released... and which version(s) will it/ they be? 

I'm hoping for news of a gold Zelda edition with embossed Triforce before I take the plunge on a 3DS.  Lacking that, I'll likely end up with two units, eventually.  Sigh...   icon_neutral

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2010, 08:10:07 PM »

I must definetely want one, but I'm hoping Nintendo doesn't price it at a full $300. $250.00 is my sweet spot. For 300 bucks, I can go buy a next gen console (I don't own any of them, yet. Getting one this Fall). They need to keep it under the price of a console.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2010, 08:44:51 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on September 30, 2010, 08:10:07 PM

I can go buy a next gen console

Psst, none of the current consoles are "next-gen", and they haven't been for years. slywink
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: