http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 10:26:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ninja Gaiden  (Read 2196 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2005, 03:30:10 PM »

Wow.  I've been renting different games the past week in an effort to find something i really enjoy and i picked up Ninja Gaiden yesterday.  Thus far i have some mixed emotions that i wanted to get some opinions on.
To this point there are alot of things i really really like.  The graphics are awesome, controls and combat is cool, animation is sweet, story is well done.  However, i do have 1 major complaint that may cause this to be a game-breaker for me; which is lack of saves.  I read where it can be difficult, which doesn't bother me.  What does bother me is getting a good ways into a level and pass some tough areas and having to back track because of not being able to save.
I'm loving what i have played and seen thus far, but i don't know if i can play much longer knowing the save issue.  Is this something others have had an issue with as well?  Is it worth overlooking and playing through?

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 03:35:54 PM »

+

= Ninja Garden?

Oh wait, you meant:

You should read our review:
http://www.consolegold.com/Reviews/review/96.html

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 03:42:25 PM »

The insane difficulty and lack of saves quickly killed my interest in NG.  There's too many good games out there to be spending hours replaying the same sections over and over again.  The lack of saves only get worse as the game progresses.  It it bugs you that bad now, you'll be reaching controller-chucking levels of frustration pretty soon.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 04:03:27 PM »

Well what is worth checking out that is somewhat similar to Ninja Gaiden that has good controls, story, combat, and not too difficult with easier saves?  If not for the saves i'd say NG would be freakin great.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 04:40:32 PM »

I didn't care for Ninja Garden.  The animation of the character's 'tomatoes' was completely preposterous and aimed squarely at the horny teenager market...pathetic.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 05:20:27 PM »

His swords-deadly pruning devices.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 05:39:23 PM »

The insane difficulty and lack of saves quickly killed my interest in NG. There's too many good games out there to be spending hours replaying the same sections over and over again. The lack of saves only get worse as the game progresses. It it bugs you that bad now, you'll be reaching controller-chucking levels of frustration pretty soon.

Ditto, but I think Ninja Gaiden Black looks interesting.  Honestly, the camera alone will make it easier.  Not sure if I'll be able to suck it up and go Ninja Dog difficulty, as it apparently makes fun of you the whole time.  I guess it won't bather me too much if the story is otherwise unchanged...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 05:46:52 PM »

Ninja Garden: Black is supposed to ease up on the difficulty for us pansies, right?

I think that's a tomato plant in the bottom right corner?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 06:33:46 PM »

First IT Ninjas then Garden Ninjas?  I see the ninja clans have taken up new lines of work since the fall of the shogunate.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 07:10:02 PM »

I laugh every time I see this thread title.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 07:18:13 PM »

ok ok, i cleaned it up.  
but back on topic, i'm surprised noone is jumping in to support this game.   you mean it gets that difficult that noone played it through?  should i just drop the desire to play more of it and look for something else?

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 07:20:27 PM »

ok ok, i cleaned it up

BOOOOO!!!!  :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 07:23:53 PM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
ok ok, i cleaned it up.  
but back on topic, i'm surprised noone is jumping in to support this game.   you mean it gets that difficult that noone played it through?  should i just drop the desire to play more of it and look for something else?

I know ATB thought it was the best game of last year-he frequently waxes poetic about it. I didnt really care for it, but I recently asked for it in my trade thread-I think for now though, that I will wait for the updated Ninja Gaiden Black since Ron seems to think it will help eliminate many of the old problems.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 07:50:32 PM »

Black supposedly will have an easy mode as well.  I beat Ninja Gaiden and I liked it a lot.  I know MANY will be frustrated with the game, but weren't people that played any of the other 3 Ninja Gaidens on NES frustrated as well?  Ninja Gaiden III was extremely hard (probably more than Ninja Gaiden on Xbox) and the other 2 were no walk in the park honestly.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 08:53:31 PM »

I beat it.  I loved it.  I beat it again.  Honestly, once you get a little more used to it (read: better at it), you can blow through those repeat sections.  And honestly, beating things up is so much fun that it's not so bad just for the sake of doing it.  I like the adrenaline rush I STILL get knowing that there are real consequences if I screw up.  Makes the time spent feel less like marking hours until something comes on TV.

Oh, and if the biggest complaint someone has is the proportions of some characters in skippable cutscenes, you know it's a good game.  Don't mind the story, too, as it makes no sense and is primarily a pretext for slicing up enemies by the dozens.  

I honestly feel like the game does start to lose cohesion after level 9, but now all I do is replay those levels over and over.  If it had only come with them it would have been worth $50 anyway.  Don't give up!

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 09:40:31 PM »

It is the best game ever.

Ok, maybe not, but I find it to be one of the best games ever. And I'm not much of a hardcore player, I couldn't finish it on very hard, nor could I finish the free expansion packs (the hurricane packs).

Play it for a couple of hours, it'll click. Yes, frustration will be the first step, but persevere, damn you! And when it does click, restart your game, and play from the beginning again. And then... It all falls into place, and you become ninja master Ryu Hayabusa, hanging on to your dragon sword, overcoming impossible demons and encounters. You will die a lot, you will cry for more save points, but oh you will love it!

But you could wait for the downpriced ninja gaiden black that'll come soon smile (It adds some challenges, an easier difficulty level, and the 2 hurricane packs).
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 09:43:47 PM »

Do i see correctly where Gaiden Black is set to release September 1?  If so i might play a bit since i've rented it and wait for the Black version to release in a couple weeks.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005, 10:34:21 PM »

I am considering Black as well for one reason only-easier.  I sucked at the first.  I don't mind devoting some time to a game to get good enough to beat it but the time requirement for this one was off the chart.  So, I gave up around the fourth boss.  

Waiting for reviews from those who play it and were like me-suck @ss pitiful at it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 12:27:49 PM »

I found the hurricane pack that added the counter was easier, even though the game was "harder". By changing the game mechanic, it seems to have become more balanced.

NG is awesome, regardless of the flavor. When you get REALLY good at it, you'll want to walk around at almost no health with the fully upgraded wooden sword.  :twisted:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005, 04:06:09 PM »

It's one of the best games I've ever played.  I absolutely loved it.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2005, 03:26:48 AM »

Well after a weekend of attempting to play through it some more, i give up.  I really want to like the game alot, but the difficulty is just a game killer for me.  It's not that i dislike the difficulty in how it was developed, it's just not for me.  
My gaming time is limited and i just don't want to put in the time investment it takes to become good enough to get through it.  I personally enjoy games that have a smaller learning curve, particularly with my limited play times.
However, i do look forward to hearing how much easier and playable Gaiden Black will be.  If it is a good deal easier, i'll be all over it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: