http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:59:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ninja Gaiden Tips?  (Read 1386 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2005, 09:10:03 PM »

After loving God of War so much I finally got around to picking up Ninja Gaiden.  I am well aware of the game's punishing difficulty but I've also heard that if you give it some and learn the system it ends up being really rewarding.  Plus the game supposedly has a great cohesive environment (think GoW, Prince of Persia, Metroid Prime, etc) and I'm a sucker for that.

I know we have some good Ninja Gaiden players here (ATB?).  I've currently made it to Chapter 4 (the City infiltration).  I'm getting my ass handed to me by a new class of Ninja that was just introduced (black ninjas?) and unfortunately my encounters to them are quite a ways from the first save point so I'm finding it rather time consuming to fight past bad guys I know how to handle just to reach them and die.  

I'd love for any general tips on the combat- ie stuff you wish you knew earlier in the game, good combat strategies, who to size up an enemy and figure out his strengths and weaknesses, etc.  

Also, how do I use the magic (Ninpo or something)?  I have a few scrolls but haven't really figured out how to use it effectively.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 09:27:42 PM »

Hell, how'd you beat the first boss?  then again , I -am- playing it on hard.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 09:54:50 PM »

For the fastest enemies in the game (black ninjas - ghost fish, etc) nunchuks are the best and safest option.  The best general advice I can give is to do everything you can to keep your potions stocked up to the max as much as you can.  Anytime you find a location that has respawning baddies, break out the nunchucks and start kicking ass (they allow you to rack up insane amounts of combo points - or whatever they're called...I forget).  

Next, I'd recommend having the patience of Jobe when you play, because there are some insanely tough boss fights that you may need to come back to numerous times (on another day even) to try again.  Also, don't take stock in the difficulty of one boss being easy just because someone said it was easy/hard.  An easy boss to you may be incredibly hard to someone else, and vice versa.  If you don't have potions saved up for the boss fights, you may be in for a really frustrating experience.  

Third, the platforming sections of the game, especially the timed one near the end, may make you want to rip your hair out and stab someone.  All I can say on those is again, be patient and stop playing and try again later if you start getting pissed.  I found that NG is one of those games that if you play pissed, it'll kick your ass and make you even more pissed. Tongue

Always try and keep moving, and master the jumping on baddies heads and attacking from walls moves...they help alot, especially against certain bosses.  

Finally, don't try and understand the ending smile  

It was a very frustrating and rewarding gaming experience for me.  I haven't sworn more playing a game in the last 15 years than I did playing NG.  

Good luck smile
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 10:02:17 PM »

I got stumped at exactly the same spot.  I tried it some 20 times and finally gave up.  Too much for me.  If I could save right before I meet them it might easier to stomach, but having to roam through 1/2 the city and fight my way to them each time to only die just wasn't worth it.  You have my sympathies.  Good luck.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 11:16:00 PM »

Tip #1: Don't give up!  A lot of people get turned off by the difficulty level at the beginning of the game, and often quit.  Ninja Gaiden is one of those games where it is frustrating at first, but once you get used to the play style something 'clicks' and you go from "omg this is the most frustrating game ever" to "c'mon ninja bitches, bring it on!".  It probably took me about 3 levels to 'get' the game, and even though the difficulty level is still pretty high (I think I'm on level 10 or 11) it becomes more enjoyable hard than frustratingly hard.

Other things I can remember:
  • the wall attack is your friend
  • in general, the tougher enemies take some patience to beat - you want to conserve health as much as you can thru a given level, so don't take the brute force approach to every enemy you meet - it's better to 'stick and move' than go in swords swinging and hope you outlast them.
  • the Ninpo magic should be used very sparingly - usually only during boss fights.
  • essence is essential.  Kill an enemy or two using as big of a combo as you can (to increase the size of the essence), then hold down Y to draw the yellow essence to you.  Once you're charged up, release it to do an often instant kill attack on the remaining enemies near you.  Often you this attack will be a very long combo string, the results of which will be a dead enemy releasing a large essence ball than if you had just killed multiple enemies normally.
  • along those lines, there are a few places in the game that seem to have 'infinitely respawning enemies'.  Take advantage of these places to collect as much yellow essence as possible to use at the shop.  Any place that has multiple bats is a good candidate for 'essence farming', as one of the charge attacks mentioned above can kill a bunch of low level bats that yeild a lot of dough.  Just re-enter the room and repeat.
As a side note: there are actually few places in the game that really have infinitely respawning enemies - eventually if you kill enough of them they will stop coming.
  • the bosses are all about attack pattern memorization.  Each boss usually has 3-4 attacks, and once you recognize what they are and how to dodge them, you should be able to beat them with minimal trouble.

I really need to go back and finish off those last few levels...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 11:44:34 AM »

Oh Nos!

I'm now feeling the urge to pull this out again.  I've too big of a backlog to do that!  Cool

I apologize though, as it's been so long since I played it (completed it May 2004) that I don't remember any strategies.

I did have a hellah tough time with the first boss though.  However, once I got past him (and the javelin guy on the horse) I didn't find the main bosses that terrible (even that chick that everyone yelled about smile).

I never used the nunchucks, so I can't verify their ability to kick butt as I always found the sword the moste effective offensive weapon...

There were some parts I had to do over and over and over, but for whatever reason it never got tedious or showstopping to me.

It's my number 3 XBOX game of all time behind KOTOR 2 and KOTOR...

Good luck!
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 06:20:55 AM »

I suggest starting over again. You'll have a much easier time through levels 1 to 3, and when you reach the 4th level (again), the game will have 'clicked'. It's what I did, and it worked for me.

I also never used the nunchuks, and disagree about using them against the black ninja's! The nunchuks have very free-form combo's, making for a very aggressive playstyle, which is NOT what's needed versus these ninjas. The sword really is the best all-round weapon.

Some tips against black ninja's:

-Block and counter! (you know how it works? You block, and the moment an enemy hits your sword, and you hear the 'clang' sound, you either hit Y or XX. But you can only try this once every couple of seconds, so you can't spam the Y and X buttons while blocking)

-Wall attacks! It's true what everyone says! Don't just go to a ninja and xxx him, no, attack from the wall, do your combo, and move out!

-Keep moving! Keep blocking, rolling, running op walls, and when you seen an opening, move in. Don't be too agressive.

-An easy combo on the blacks: XY. This will get them almost every time, and depending on your sword level, you can follow up with XXX, XXY or X (and when he falls on the ground, another Y for good measure).
A nice thing about using XY, is that when you keep holding Y down (instead of a quick press), you don't jump in the air. Therefore, when the enemy lands at your feet, just use Y to stab him on the ground.

About the ninpo: Don't worry about it too much. I didn't use it much my first time through, it only really becomes usefull once you get the hang of the fighting system. However, it gets really powerfull near the end, so you might as well try it out in difficult situations (read: the entire game :p ).

Also, when you're done with the game, download the 2 hurricane packs from xbox Live. But be warned, they make the game harder than hard mode in the regular game! I haven't finished them, although I finished NG a couple of times on hard.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 06:41:39 AM »

Thanks for the tips everyone!  I've made it to the Level 5 boss today.  I'm definitely improving but its still pretty frustrating.  Sometimes I can get through an encounter almost perfectly then replay it and get killed almost instantly.  My blood pressure would be a lot easier if it wasn't for the damn exploding shurikens!!!  They feel rather cheap to me.  

What's really getting me is the distance betweeen save points.  I think God of War and its frequent checkpoints has spoiled me.  What really gets my goat is that on Level 5 there is no save point immediately before the boss- that should be mandatory!

It seems every day I end my session rather frustrated and intending to trade it in.  Then, with a bit of time, I get the urge to give it another go.  I really do like a lot of aspects about it, mainly the amazing fluidity of the combat.  

Quote from: "The Rocketman"
I suggest starting over again. You'll have a much easier time through levels 1 to 3, and when you reach the 4th level (again), the game will have 'clicked'. It's what I did, and it worked for me.

You know, I do this of the time and it really works.  Most recently with God of War- I started out and was enjoying it decently  but was primarily button mashing my way through so I wasn't completely engaged.  But some of that button mashing started to teach me effective combos on the enemies and I'd find myself thinking "You know, I wish I had known about that during that difficult fight earlier."  Consequently, I restarted and it clicked almost immediately and the result was one of my favorite games of the past few years!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 06:14:54 PM »

As far as the exploding shurikens go you can minimize the damage they do to you by jumping and performing the heavy attacks, the ones that you have a bluish shadow when you do them.

I've found that if you time it right you end up taking no damage from the shurikens when they explode, as a bonus you can often hit one or more ninjas with the attack!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 07:03:12 PM »

I played through the first time using sword almost exclusively, except for the level with the ghost fish.  I did ok against the black ninjas using only sword, mainly relying on wall jumps and constant moving to stay alive.  Blocking the black ninja attacks is a lot easier said than done, and requires excellent timing and reaction speed.  Someone suggested to me to try using nunchucks on the black ninjas (and any other fast enemies in the game).  I wasn't a fan of using nunchucks, but I gave it a shot.  For me, I found the black ninjas easier to fight using nunchucks.  Not only were they easier for me, but I started racking up a ton of essence because of how nunchucks can keep the combo count rapidly increasing, especially compared to using a sword.  I still mainly recommend using sword for most parts of the game, but nunchucks can make certain foes a lot easier imo, and are excellent for farming essence due to the combo strings.

One of the more frustrating levels for me was the level with the ghost or spirit fish, mainly because I was trying to get through it using my sword.  As soon as I switched to nunchucks (based on a tip) that level became much, much less frustrating. Just before you leave that level, there's a large doorway that has respawning fish.  If you use nunchucks and just mow through each spawn of fish (run away from that spot after clearing and run back) you can rack up enough essence to keep you stocked up on potions and lives for the latter part of the game.  

Nunchucks are situational, but can be very effective against certain foes.  I wouldn't discredit them until you've tried them out and see if they fit your play style.  You may find a certain section much easier using them (or not).
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 08:05:00 PM »

The first time i played this game i think i got to chapter 5 or so.  I just picked it up again, though and restarted.  It's clicking slightly faster this time than last thank goodness, but i had forgotten how insanely frustrating even the first two levels were with the first boss and the horse riders in 2. ouchy.

As far as a minor spoiler on how to beat the first boss, the key is in waiting for his charge attacks and dodging then attacking quickly from behind then moving back again.  IMO anyhow...thats how i beat him.

This is definitely probably the most challenging and often frustrating gaming experience I ever had.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: