http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 05:57:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ninja Gaiden Black HIIIYAH!  (Read 1836 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2005, 09:40:35 PM »

Picked this up yesterday - some impressions -

Everyone (at least sane) holds ninjas close to their heart.  They're sneaky, deadly, and get all of the ladies dressed in provocative white garb.  Sometimes I feel like dressing up like a ninja just so I can try to run along walls, jump and somersault about three times each jump, and swing a sword around without hitting a major vein or artery.

That being said, I was one of those people who played Ninja Gaiden right when it came out.  Got around the 5th chapter.  Then, due to sheer frustration, karate-chopped it out of my library and into the trade-in used shelf.

But now, Ninja Gaiden Black comes along.  So I'm thinking that I've been missing that inner-ninja of mine.  So I picked it up.

I played through the normal difficulty until I got to the red-horse dude at the end of chapter 2.

Whenever a ninja is red, you know that he/she means business.

And after dying about six times in a row, I promptly threw my controller across the room like a ninja throwing star, took off my make-shift black cloak, sheathed my imaginary katana, and ate some Reese's Pieces to make my inner-ninja (and me) feel better.

But then!  AHA!  My ninja senses kicked in!  What's not QUITE as impressive as a ninja . . . but still is a ninja?  A NINJA DOG!

So I read on how to become a Ninja Dog.  Ok, die three times in the first level.  Gotcha.  GOT IT COVERED!  So I die three times.  And the menu screen asks if I want to abandon the ways of the ninja.

There was only "Yes" and "No" to choose from.  I wanted a "somewhat" but that wasn't available.

So I hit yes.  And then it asked if I was sure.  Hit yes again.  Asked AGAIN if I was sure.  Hit yes AGAIN!

And then some badass-looking ninja girl came up to my dead body and told me that, well, essentially I wasn't a ninja.  I was a dog.

My inner-ninja was hurt by that comment.

Anyways, she gave me a neato pink wrist thingy to wear around to symbolize that in FACT I was a Ninja Dog.  Thanks.  Now all of the COOL ninjas will know that I'm practically a phony.

But while they were gawking and telling their ninja jokes to one another, I was dancing off walls and slicing their heads off.  Hey!  You like my pink wrist thingy?!  HIYAAAH!  . . . why is your neck spewing red stuff?  THAT'S RIGHT!  ME AND MY PINK WRIST THINGY JUST NINJA CHOPPED YOUR HEAD OFF!

So I'm back to having fun with it.  It's essentially the same game, plus some "unlockable" mission modes as well as being able to post my score online when I complete the game in a mode.  Normal was a wee-bit hard for me, but so far, Ninja Dog mode has been a LITTLE bit of a challenge.  But it's letting me get my "ninja legs" under me.  Hopefully I can complete the game on that mode and move on to normal and not have a pink wrist thingy that makes my inner ninja want to chop his eyes out.

Fun stuff!  For $30, you can't go wrong!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 09:44:32 PM »

I heard you throw your controller like a shuriken last night.  Boy, you tossed that sucker.  Wait a second, that's my controller!

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 11:34:07 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Everyone (at least sane) holds ninjas close to their heart.  They're sneaky, deadly, and get all of the ladies dressed in provocative white garb.  Sometimes I feel like dressing up like a ninja just so I can try to run along walls, jump and somersault about three times each jump, and swing a sword around without hitting a major vein or artery.

I agree!  I honestly don't know where the whole "pirates are cool" thing stems from since the ninja is sooo much better.  I don't like pirates, I don't like boats, and I don't like the ocean.  I'd rather stay silent than talk like that.  They aren't even particularly deadly.  Pirates, I'm afraid to say it, just plain suck.  Up with ninjas!

Hope to pick this up over the weekend!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 11:38:29 PM »

I rented it to see if the Ninja Dog difficulty would be that much easier and don't be fooled, it is not EASY.  I would say this is the Normal of other games.  Not yet sure if it is doable by me or not since I have not gotten to the really hard bosses I couldn't get past before, but time will tell.  If I can actually play this one, I will then pick up so as to be able to ninja any time I feel like it.  

Verdict still out for me.  My favorite thing so far are those hi res cut scenes.  Man, those are beautiful.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 11:52:02 PM »

LOL1!!!!1!  Only N00b l0zrz need the d0g l3v3l.

That said, I'm glad Irataki or whatever his name is decided to re-release the game with an easier difficulty.  That way a whole new audience will be able to see how amazing a game it is.

It's my #3 all time game for xbox.

Glad you're enjoying it.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 01:19:58 AM »

Thats awesome Depward. That was a great story, made even better by the fact that I knew you were eating peices, we were talking about the incredibly lame you're a woman pink bracelet, and all that jazz! So yeah, glad you are enjoying it dude smile
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 01:27:32 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Thats awesome Depward. That was a great story, made even better by the fact that I knew you were eating peices, we were talking about the incredibly lame you're a woman pink bracelet, and all that jazz! So yeah, glad you are enjoying it dude smile

Well, GOOD news is that she only gave it to me.  I CAN take it off.

But I seem to think it looks manly on a ninja dressed in black?  Ohhhh yeah!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 01:47:25 AM »

So me a ninja that's as cool as Jack Sparrow, and I'll show you a poser  :wink:

I think I'll finally pick this one up.  I tried a friends copy but after getting my ass handed to me very early on I passed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 06:14:11 AM »

Ahhahaha. You lack the ninja. Tongue

That said, the game was a bit on the tough side. And I'm still waiting for my Ninja Gaiden Black to arrive.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 08:05:15 AM »

Depward, seems like yours and my ninja belong to the same pink-ribbon-wearing club.  The lady said "dog", but I think she meant to say "dawg" since easy mode is hipper and cooler....right?

Despite all my dying, I'm having a blast playing it.  I'm not sure when frustration will set in, but it hasn't yet.  Cool

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 09:18:58 AM »

Awesome post.

olaf
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 09:54:55 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
Depward, seems like yours and my ninja belong to the same pink-ribbon-wearing club.  The lady said "dog", but I think she meant to say "dawg" since easy mode is hipper and cooler....right?

Despite all my dying, I'm having a blast playing it.  I'm not sure when frustration will set in, but it hasn't yet.  Cool

Yeah, we're cool ninjas!  And you better believe we're MUCH hipper and cooler than those normal or even hard mode Ninjas   biggrin

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 06:54:53 PM »

Yeah, we're cool ninjas!  And you better believe we're MUCH hipper and cooler than those normal or even hard mode Ninjas   biggrin

Haven't you heard?  Pink is the new...ahem...black.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 07:09:39 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"

And all this time I thought McDonalds was the new black!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 07:38:44 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"

Pink is fine in a shirt you are wearing out to a club on Friday night, not as an acessory for an assassin smile
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 02:35:31 PM »

Pink is fine in a shirt you are wearing out to a club on Friday night, not as an acessory for an assassin smile

I beg to differ.  If you are wearing pop singer Pink's pelt as a shirt you can pretty much do so whenever and wherever you like.

OMG ninja man, don't kill me and wear my skin.  Ninja Dog!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 03:59:23 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

I beg to differ.  If you are wearing pop singer Pink's pelt as a shirt you can pretty much do so whenever and wherever you like.

OMG ninja man, don't kill me and wear my skin.  Ninja Dog!

I gotta tell you, I am not a big pink fan. I wouldn't kick her out of bed, but she's not very attractive either. I am not sure what this has to do with the thread, but hey. Anyways, as far as pink goes Calvin likey the pink. Why does Calvin likey the pink? Because the ladies like it-if you haven't tried it guys, wear it out to a club and enjoy the attention smile

I have no clue why I am talking in third person either.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005, 10:30:08 AM »

Still having a lot of fun with this title.  Ninja Dog mode is just hard enough for me to not BREEZE by battles and such.  When I played Ninja Gaiden right when it first came out, each battle was almost frustratingly difficult.  Ninja Dog mode - they're challenging.  But more forgiving.

Also, the inclusion of this difficulty will, no doubt, make me want to try playing through the game on the normal difficulty when I do finish it in Ninja Dog mode.

I <3 the Lunar.  It may not be as cool as those flails or whatnot, but hey - I like to spin it spin it!

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2005, 12:50:08 PM »

I too am all about the Lunar.  Never touch the sword anymore.  Love all the flash and spin.  Finally got past the spot I could never do in the regular version.  Ninja Dog is the perfect level for me, and I too think I might try it again someday on normal after getting through this one.  I am renting for now, but I think this one is worth picking up after all.  Truly in the top five of the best that this gen has to offer in the action arena imo.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2005, 05:08:13 PM »

After reading this thread I decided to haul my original Xbox copy out of storage and try to finish it off - man, I forgot what a great game this is!  Or was... wtf is a swimming level doing right in the middle of ninja game?!?!?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 09:47:30 PM »

Depward is a funny guy. Good story.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 12:38:43 AM »

Well, I thought I was really liking this game on the new Ninja Dog level cuz I could actually make some progress, when Wham!   Alma shows up in the cathedral hall.  I have just tried to whip her more than 10 times and I think I am throwing in the towel.  Just can't beat that b!)*&)_*^$@@!!!!!

I even went and read strategies to do so on gamefaqs to no avail.  They just don't work for me.  

Was good while it lasted.  Glad I held off buying and was only renting.  I guess I am just too old and slow.  Twitch gaming may be something I need to reconsider attempting.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 01:55:50 AM »

I remember everyone having a bitch of a time with Alma, and I almost beat her on the first try then I screwed up and she hit me full-on. Totally my fault. Then the second time I beat her without even breaking a sweat.

Then I got stuck a few levels later on with absolutely no hope whatsoever and threw in the towel. Never went back to it, though now maybe I should try.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 06:30:36 AM »

Playing it through on normal right now, and um... They actually made it tougher. For normal. I mean, what the hell?

I suppose it's fair to say that some of the "abuses" don't work like they used to. Also, the bosses are a bit more of a pain now.

Anyways, my ninja has some new moves as well, and the game's still as good as I remember it to be. I really can't wait 'till Ninja Gaiden 2.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 02:43:45 PM »

So after hearing Ninja Gaiden Black was coming out a few weeks ago, I decided to dust off the original Ninja Gaiden and see if I could (finally) finish it off.  It took me long enough, but I finally made it through last night - holy crap, what a great game that was!  

While I think I enjoyed the story of God of War a little more, I must say that I the story for NG did kind of gell towards the end and they even managed to trhow in a plot twist I never saw coming.  I'm usually not huge into CGI movie either, but the cinematics towards the end were some of the best I have ever seen (the field of flowers cutscene comes to mind).

I highly recommend taking the time to plow through either the original or Black if you find the time.  Yes, it is hard (the end of Chapter 15 ranks especially stands out) but at the same time very rewarding asyou end up being such a kickass ninja by the end of the game that I never really felt like I was getting stuck in any one particular place/level.  Hurricane Pack, here I come...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: