http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 04:38:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nindendo Ds : Brings GBA Games To Life  (Read 1974 times)
shon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2004, 04:28:04 AM »

I just bought the Nintendo DS and like it alot.  There may not be many games out there yet but that is not a problem because the Nindendo DS
makes the current GBA games look spectacular.

I started out with the original GBA that had no light and couldn't see anything so it rarely got played.  Then I bought GBA Sp(front light) and what a difference I could see what was going on so I thought, cool I can finally play my GBA games.

But whoooooahhhhh  a backlight, the DS has a backlight, that along with a little better res and my gba games never looked better.  The colors are so colorful and sharp it is just great.  Metroid Fusion is a prime example(no pun intended),  the colors in that game were okay now they are awesome.

So those they might be wary of the few games that the DS has right now need not worry your old(and new) Gba games look so much better you will never play the GBA SP again.

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 05:15:54 AM »

Nice, hope I can find one before christmas
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 06:06:03 AM »

I completely agree.  The games just seem to be so much brighter.  I picked up ridge racer DS today.  So far I am liking it very much also.  There is so much potential in the dual screen/ touch screen layout.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 03:35:20 PM »

dangit... don't make me buy another Nintendo handheld smile  My biggest gripe with the GBA SP was the lousy screen....
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 07:03:11 PM »

Resisting CG Forum Effect (tm)

Shields holding....

:lol:

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 12:50:10 AM »

It does look a heck of a lot nicer.  The DS completely eliminates that nasty blue tinge that the SP gave to games.  I might be the only one who noticed it, but it was there, and annoyed me to no end.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 01:20:32 PM »

It would be hard for me to go back and play on my sp.  I may not be a graphic freak but the difference is amazing.

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 05:03:05 PM »

I just got mine in the mail.

And to be Frank, I wasnt that excited.

BUt this thing is nicer than I thought, and the dual screens are FAR nicer than the SP screens. The touch screen WORKS GREAT.. this is not the gimmick I thought it was intially. Backlighting is way, way better.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 03:19:55 PM »

Yeah.. I popped Advance Wars 2 into a friend's DS (I'm waiting for more DS games to jump in) and it looks 100% better on the DS screen.

It's just too bad the DS is so big.  I really like the SP's size.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 09:17:10 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
It's just too bad the DS is so big.  I really like the SP's size.

So do I! The SP is truly a pocket gaming device!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 06:24:13 AM »

Quote from: "shon"
But whoooooahhhhh  a backlight, the DS has a backlight, that along with a little better res and my gba games never looked better.  The colors are so colorful and sharp it is just great.  Metroid Fusion is a prime example(no pun intended),  the colors in that game were okay now they are awesome.

Try playing it on your TV screen using the Gameboy Player adaptor for your GC. Games looks great!  biggrin
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2004, 04:11:09 PM »

I received a DS for Christmas and I totally agree with Shon- this thing makes GBA look fantastic.  The sound is noticeably improved too.  I'd say it was almost worth the price of admission just for that.

As to the DS itself, my impressions are incredibly favorable.  Contrary to what someone (Devil?) said in a previous DS thread, it doesn't feel cheap at all to me.  

The only game I have other than the Prime demo is Super Mario 64 and I'm having a blast.  The graphics look great.  With the smaller screen size a lot of the limitations of the N64-era tech really go away.  The animation is incredible and the framerate completely smooth.  The minigames are a blast and really make great use of the touch screen.  The game can be a bit difficult to control using the touch pad, but I've had little difficulty just forgoing the touchpad and sticking to the D-Pad.  

The multiplayer setup works great.  My brother-in-law also received a DS for Christmas and we had a great time yesterday playing Super Mario and Metroid multiplayer.  

One great thing I don't think has garnered enough publicity- only one person needs to have the game for the group to play multiplayer.  Similar to spawning copies for LAN games on the PC, the DS will wirelessly download the needed files from the person with the game.  

I noticed the DS had a lot of appeal to non-gamers too.  The rest of my family were very intrigued by the touch-pad, particularly in some of the Mario 64 minigames.  

While the relative lack of qualty titles is slightly disappointing now I don't really mind.  I need to pick up Feel the Magic, which I hear is great, and between Super Mario, FtM, and playing GBA games on the fantastic screen I'll have plenty to keep me occupied until better titles come down the pike.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2004, 06:46:33 PM »

I've been thinking of picking up a Nintendo DS too but my only concern is how long it's going to last.
With the upcoming Sony PSP, I have a feeling they're going to conquer Nintendo and the DS will be just like the Dreamcast, or even better, like the Atari Lynx, Turbo Express, or Sega Gamegear. (Had all 3 of them and it's a shame they died off so soon, especially the Lynx.)

Granted Nintendo has been in the handheld market for a long time now, and it's Sony's first step into the market, it was also Sony's first step into the market with the original Playstation, which outsold all the other consoles. With the playstation 2, they completely destroyed Sega and their dreamcast (one of my favorite systems of all time) who had been in the console market for many years, well before Sony even thought of making a console.

It's not suprising that the nintendo gamecube hasn't sold so well either, at least compared to the playstation 2 and xbox.
Nintendo keeps going though, so I don't know..

Just trying to get a feel of what others opinions are out there. I am leaving for North Carolina (from South Florida) next week and was considering buying a DS for the long trip. But if it's going to be dead in a year or two.. why bother? Look at how fast Nintendo drops their prices too. You buy a DS one day for $150, then a week later, it's $119.99 or even $100. (IMO, the right price tag.)

Can anyone give me a little confidence about buying a DS? As much as I want to buy one, just that thought of the Sony PSP conquering, destroying, and sending the pieces of the DS into obliviion makes me think twice about buying one.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2004, 07:15:12 PM »

I think Sony will be successful with the PSP but I don't think it will produce a Dreamcast-like situation.  While the PS2 was certainly a factor in the Dreamcast's demise, Sega's own financial situation was just as much at fault.  Sega just didn't have the resources necessary to support hardware development and production, especially early in a console's life when most console manufacturers are actually losing money on each unit sold.  Combined with the lack of support from EA, and its easy to see why Dreamcast failed prematurely.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is still making major profits despite all of the doom and gloom you hear in the media.  Whether its the DS or the continued success of the GBA, I don't see them being knocked off that easily.  The GBA was far and away the biggest seller among consoles in November, selling 1.4 million units.  Nintendo has already gone through most of their initial production run on the DS and they can be pretty difficult to find.  

Worst-case with the DS, I would expect it to end up in an N64 or Xbox situation- even if the PSP takes the lead there will still be room for a healthy second console.  

Also, it will take some time for the PSP to "catch up."  Sony is losing so much on each PSP sold that they are intentionally limiting production runs (approx 300k in Japan) until economies of scale catch up and let them make it more affordably.  The DS, on the other hand, has already sold 2 million worldwide.

Also, the DS has tons of major 3rd party developer support .  It looks as though most third parties are committing to both the DS and the PSP for now so I expect that there will be a steady stream of quality software for both years to come.  

I will happily buy both so I'm not too concerned.  The DS will be worth it for me just for the Nintendo exclusives- There won't be an Advance Wars or Fire Emblem on the PSP.  I'm also pretty optimistic that Nintendo will continue producing new installments of great franchises.  After three Link games on the Gameboy, Minish Cap on the GBA, I would expect an Oracle of Time-esque Zelda title to definitely be in the DS's future.  And now that Nintendo has already re-released all of the 2D Mario titles, as well as SM64 the next logical step would be an all new Mario platformer in either 2D or 3D.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2004, 09:41:12 PM »

Unless Sony drastically improves battery life the PSP won't succeed. Superior handhelds have gone against the GB brand and have failed, mainly because of one or two design flaws and battery life being one of them.

On top of that I think Nintendo takes the handheld business a lot more seriously than the home console one ....

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: