http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:51:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: nice suprise or BS?...CODw@w gets 10/10  (Read 1755 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2008, 10:17:04 AM »

i am not sure what to think yet,PSW magazine(i think thats PlayStation World)gives Call Of Duty:World At War...are you ready?...10 out of 10,and also go on to add thats its better than COD4

"So to hold the position that it's sequel, World At War, is a better game, is surely to stir up some controversy. That's right, Treyarch has toppled Infinity Ward."

now i think i was the only person in the world to like it going back to WWII(sure i wouldnt of minded seeing WWI or vietnam..but still happy)..but i am suprised with this score,for one-no game is perfect(right?)..and 2,i have played the beta,and although it does keep me going back to it,something isnt quite right,maybe the maps arent as big as i'd like(i want Battlefield:bad company size maps!!)

i am sure the story will be better than COD4,what with all the graphic limb amputees that we see in the beta,and perhaps ending better,but its the multiplayer that counts for me,i downloaded all the vids on the xbox live marketplace yesterday,co-op looks good fun,the zombie add on,and the other maps in multiplayer look okay

but still 10/10...its a bold statement anyway,and PSW certainly putting their heads on the block

full story here

EDIT:Don't forget the Beta ends this monday morning
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:18:51 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 03:13:05 PM »

Huh. Strange-especially when it was announced and everybody thought it was going to suck compared to COD4, and now someone comes out and says it's actually BETTER than COD4?  That'll stir up controversy alright.  Perhaps that's why they said it.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 03:16:40 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 08, 2008, 10:17:04 AM

but i am suprised with this score,for one-no game is perfect(right?)

Oh and I wish there was more 10/10s.  Otherwise, what the fuck's the point?  Think of it not as a 10/10 on a math test but rather a 10/10 on a English essay.  Could you imagine the the howls you'd here from parents if the teacher said, "Well your son's essay is totally kick ass and I'd love to give him a 10/10 on it but since it's theoretically impossible to write a "perfect" essay I had to give him a 9/10 instead."

Yep that sounds really stupid doesn't it.  Same goes for videogames.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 03:18:24 PM by Canuck » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 08, 2008, 10:17:04 AM

now i think i was the only person in the world to like it going back to WWII

I am with you on that (I'd go in for WWI, but I think Vietnam has been tried and never really been pulled off).

I'm flabbergasted about this score, honestly.  It'll be interesting to see some bigger sites' reviews.  Better than COD4?  Frankly, I don't believe it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »

I'm working on my review, but I'll say that the part that most people are interested in is rock solid- the multiplayer.  It plays almost exactly like COD4 but with a few improvements and is just as addictive.  It isn't 10/10 but I could certainly say 9/10.  I too was pleasantly surprised.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 04:47:32 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 08, 2008, 04:39:51 PM

I'm working on my review, but I'll say that the part that most people are interested in is rock solid- the multiplayer.  It plays almost exactly like COD4 but with a few improvements and is just as addictive.  It isn't 10/10 but I could certainly say 9/10.  I too was pleasantly surprised.

Damn.  As if I need another game to buy this season.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 08, 2008, 04:47:32 PM

+1. I'm gonna stick to my guns and not buy this one for a while though.  Probably January or so.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 05:15:16 PM »

Hey, it's got 4 player co-op, not sure if there's split screen, but that's enough to get me interested.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 06:55:27 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 08, 2008, 05:15:16 PM

Hey, it's got 4 player co-op, not sure if there's split screen, but that's enough to get me interested.

From what I've read the 4 player co-op is online and offline. Activision had the developer pull out all stops on this in the mplay department, which is probably one of the reasons it'll get very high scores. I was wavering on this a bit, but I'm fairly sure now I'll be picking it up on Tuesday. Gears of War 2, which sounds like it has some semblence of a story this time around, is about the only thing that could side track my purchase.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 07:02:34 PM »

+1.  I had comfortably written this one off.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 08, 2008, 05:15:16 PM

Okay dammit...the Co-op might just make this a seller for me.  I think the engine is great and looks wonderful, the game responds quickly.. but it (and COD4) just bug me because I keep wanting them to be a tactical game, not a run and gun. *sigh* The singleplayer for COD4 was okay, but knowing I wouldn't play MP much made me sell the game less than a month after I bought it.  If there is co-op play in COD5...that might make the SP portion worth it enough to shell out for it.

Is the co-op the SP campaign multiplayer?  Or is it seperate levels (something like GRAW's co-op campaign)? Can you use your MP perks/abilities/unlocked classes and weapons in the co-op?  If anyone can give definitive answers early on..I may go pre-order this one.

PS, the run-and-gun aspect is a personal issue I have with the FPS genre now.  I'm 32 and dealing with heart/stress/health issues...which means either I'm on top of my game for 3 rounds then I have to walk away for the rest of the day, or I just can't keep up with the other players.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 07:46:09 PM by Dreamshadow » Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 09:54:32 PM »

Wow the launch trailer, with what sounds like Alice in Chains playing, is absolutely fantastic.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 09:55:59 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 08, 2008, 05:08:09 PM

+1. I'm gonna stick to my guns and not buy this one for a while though.  Probably January or so.

+2.  I'll wait for a price drop on the PC version.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »

But COD is your baby!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 12:28:55 AM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on November 08, 2008, 07:41:34 PM

Okay dammit...the Co-op might just make this a seller for me.  I think the engine is great and looks wonderful, the game responds quickly.. but it (and COD4) just bug me because I keep wanting them to be a tactical game, not a run and gun. *sigh* The singleplayer for COD4 was okay, but knowing I wouldn't play MP much made me sell the game less than a month after I bought it.  If there is co-op play in COD5...that might make the SP portion worth it enough to shell out for it.

Is the co-op the SP campaign multiplayer?  Or is it seperate levels (something like GRAW's co-op campaign)? Can you use your MP perks/abilities/unlocked classes and weapons in the co-op?  If anyone can give definitive answers early on..I may go pre-order this one.

PS, the run-and-gun aspect is a personal issue I have with the FPS genre now.  I'm 32 and dealing with heart/stress/health issues...which means either I'm on top of my game for 3 rounds then I have to walk away for the rest of the day, or I just can't keep up with the other players.

It's co-op in the SP campaign.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 03:03:18 AM »

Still skipping it.

CoD is no longer a WWII game for me. Can't be bothered to play another one set in that time period when the modern stuff is so much more interesting.

It is on my Gamefly list, but it's down at the bottom. If I play it, ok, if not that's ok too.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 12:49:07 PM »

when can we expect your review,Ron?..I am looking forward to it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »

After putting in over 24 hours of gameplay in the demo then playing CoD4 for a few hours last night I have to say that from what the demo shows I prefer CoD4.  There are things that are better in CoD:WaW, but the experience was more enjoyable in CoD4.  I think a large amount of this is the fact that from the time you know you are being shot to the time you are dead in CoD:WaW is so short you can't react.  In CoD4 if I come around a corner and there is someone all the way on the other side of a room and they start shooting, I have time to panic turn around and get out taking some damage but I'll still be alive.  In CoD:WaW, I'll be dead as soon as I round that corner.

I definitely prefer the dogs to heli's though, people shoot dogs, they don't ignore them like the heli.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 05:14:30 PM »

heh, thanks for the invites to the retail version that only you have  ninja  payback for all the times I've invited someone knowing they didn't have a game just to tempt them to buy it.  Between that and the GoW2 invite spam, I am converted!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 05:52:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 08, 2008, 09:55:59 PM

+2.  I'll wait for a price drop on the PC version.

Well, this week's ads have made it more complicated.

TRU is giving a 15.00 Gift card with purchase....so final price is right around 45.00 plus tax.  Ugh
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 07:51:20 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 09, 2008, 12:28:55 AM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on November 08, 2008, 07:41:34 PM

It's co-op in the SP campaign.

I just talked with my local Gamestop manager (who plays games as much as I do, and to this point I trust him) and he told me that they could:

a) Earn XP playing SP Co-op
b) Make use of MP unlocks/perks in SP Co-op...

This has me tempted...

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: