http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 07:35:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice preview of Final Fantasy XII at GameSpot  (Read 958 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2005, 02:30:49 PM »

Story here: Link

I'm really looking forward to this one.  I loved Final Fantasy X, didn't bother with X-2: Aguilera Unleashed and didn't want to play an online Final Fantasy game.  The guy in charge of Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics is involved which gives it big plusses.  I particularly liked this quote:
Matsuno told us his design philosophy for Final Fantasy XII is one that marries the best aspects of off- and online RPGs. That's not to say the game will have stilted online components--quite the contrary; it's as focused on story and role-playing as any game in the Final Fantasy series. Matsuno told us that, while there are gameplay elements of online RPGs that he finds appealing, he's annoyed by the compulsion to be social in such games. FFXII will therefore bring aspects of MMORPG design, such as the aforementioned open-ended combat system, to the defined narrative structure that Final Fantasy is known for.

Can't wait!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 04:25:12 PM »

I loved Final Fantasy X, didn't bother with X-2: Aguilera Unleashed

i really enjoyed x-2 - fun for what it was...

i was very happy when i heard about matsuno's involvement. i think both tactics games are excellent (ffta being my favorite of the 2), & ivalice will be a great setting...

&, well, yeah, there's that viera babe, too...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 04:43:07 PM »

Still waiting! I can't believe the title hasn't been even released in Japan yet. Ah well, "all good things..."'n all that.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 05:17:56 PM »

Can't wait for the NA release!  That preview makes it sound even better than what I've been expecting.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 06:28:40 PM »

Goddamn I cant wait for this game!! SEX!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 06:48:33 PM »

The one thing that makes me nervous about FFXII is the fact they keep mentioning the similarities it has to MMORPG's.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely detest MMORPG's.  The repetitive level grind, the boring battle systems, the lack of a cohesive story or character development, playing with other people (I enjoy RPG's because I can play them by myself and don't have to deal with anybody else), etc. etc.  I'm really hoping they're not trying to make it so much like an MMORPG that they miss out on what makes Final Fantasy games so incredible:  fantastic stories first and foremost, characters and character development, unique battle systems, great music, and the breathtaking graphics.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still really looking forward to FFXII, but the previews do make me a bit nervous about it.

BTW, we did all realize this article is nearly a year old, right?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 07:02:53 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
BTW, we did all realize this article is nearly a year old, right?

Um.... yeah.  I knew that.   :oops:

Actually they linked to it on GameSpot's front page for some reason making me think it was new.  Did I check the actual date?  Doh!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 07:37:14 PM »

I've read all the previews, and still don't get the comparisons to MMORPGs.  The story and characters look to be as deep as any other console RPG, the combat is reminiscent of KoTOR, and the game is strictly single-player.  I think most of the MMO talk came from early interviews about elements of FFXI being in the game.  However, the only elements ever mentioned were being able to see armor/weapon changes on your character's model, large cities teeming with people, and combat that doesn't take place in a separate battle arena, all of which appear in single-player RPGs as well.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 08:20:08 PM »

Yeah, when they are talking MMORPGs in the context of FFXII they are really saying more like PC RPGs .
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 08:30:29 PM »

If only we could be so lucky and have Square-Enix do a simultaneous Japan/US release like they supposedly are for Kingdom Hearts II.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: