http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 03:52:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL '10 Demo out now  (Read 1546 times)
pr0ner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2009, 03:00:46 PM »

Just a heads up that the demo for EA Sports' best sports franchise, NHL '10, is out now.

Go get it!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 03:05:02 PM »

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Gotta work and then Patriots game tonight!!!!

I'll be checking in here for every detail!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 03:18:32 PM »

Here's the link to download the demo if you are stuck at work like me.

Thanks for posting this, I had no idea the demo was coming out soon. I was late to the party with NHL 09, but thought it was the best sports game I had played in a long time.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »

GO SHARKS!
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 04:06:37 PM »

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!

drool drool drool drool drool drool drool

I'll post my demo impressions tonight.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »

I don't want to see this because it will make me regret spending my birthday money on other crap.  crybaby
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 04:52:36 PM »

I love when a demo I want comes out when I'm at work.  Sounds sad, but it gives me something to look forward to all day!  Has anyone played the demo yet?  How much time does it give you?

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 05:29:21 PM »

Going to download shortly! Woo!

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 07:12:11 PM »

Doesn't feel like a huge upgrade from NHL09. I never really cared about the fighting aspects. On the other hand, NHL09 was great so this could be worthwhile to continue playing online leagues.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on August 20, 2009, 07:12:11 PM

Doesn't feel like a huge upgrade from NHL09. I never really cared about the fighting aspects. On the other hand, NHL09 was great so this could be worthwhile to continue playing online leagues.

It seems like passing and being able to pin someone against the boards and fight for the puck are the two big additions this year.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »

That was pretty cool I must admit.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 01:48:19 PM »

So I played with the demo for about an hour last night. Here are some of my impressions. Keep in mind that these are just impressions from playing four "games" in the demo (where a "game" is one five-minute period).

The demo makes you create a character right away, but with much less options than what you had in NHL 09. I'm assuming this is just to let you jump in and play, and all of the customizable options (stick type, etc) will be back in the full game. There is a new twist in the Be A Pro mode this year in that you have to play in a prospects game (North America vs. The World). Based on your performance in this game the scouts rate you and then you are sent to the draft screen. So it looks like you won't be able to pick the team you play for this year, but instead have to get drafted.

In my first playthrough as a sniper centre I played poorly and got drafted 16th by Columbus (I was originally ranked 15th going into the game). My second try had me playing as a stay at home D-man and I was drafted 8th overall by Calgary.

The camera in the Be A Pro mode is higher up and more pulled back from the action. While it helps you to see your teammates on the ice, it takes a bit of the immersion away since you are so far from your player. But from a gameplay perspective, this is probably a good thing.

There is a whole new way to play games now and it's called Hardcore mode. In this mode a player's skill is affected much more greatly by their ratings. So a bottom feeding 4th liner will skate slower, pass more poorly, have poor stickhandling skills, etc. The speed of the game is also much slower. This is essentially the most pure simulation mode I have seen yet in the NHL series. Shot totals are way down, and it takes some skill to set up a decent break out of the zone.

One thing that Hardcore mode adds is the new "Precision passing" feature. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. Basically, when you pass the puck, it will no longer go directly to the stick of your teammate. The puck now goes where you aim using the LS and the power is determined by how long you hold down RT. While this sounds good in theory, I found it almost impossible to make passes with any type of accuracy. They were either too far ahead of my teammate, or too slow and intercepted. The problem is that you also use the LS for skating so I found most of my passes being sent too far ahead of my teammate due to me also pressing forward on the LS to skate forward. Also, I couldn't seem to get any "crispness" on my passes. Most were just fluttering meatballs that the opposition intercepted and took the other way. I'm going to have to practice this more, but so far it's been more frustrating than fun.

As for the other new features, crowd reactions and animations have been greatly improved. They now seem to roar their approval at the appropriate moments (when someone is alone in the slot, for example). The chant "We want the cup" and "MVP...MVP" during the playoff game you can play in the demo. There are also women in the crowd now.

The board play mechanic is fun but I have yet to experience a prolonged "scrum" along the boards. Most of the time, someone gets pinned for a second or two and then someone else comes in and steals the puck. Again, I've only played 20 minutes of game-time, so this is just a very small sample.

Players can now hit pucks out of the air. I had a goal taken away from me after my shot from the point when off the goalie's arm, bounced in the crease, and the defencement hit it off the bounce away from the net. Goalies also reach back and knock pucks out of the air. Unfortunately this animation happens quite frequently, which kind of ruins the "OMG he made a great save" feeling, since it becomes routine (I saw the animation about 5 or 6 times in my 20 minutes of playing). Personally, I still think the goalies are the weakest part of the series, and have been for the past couple of years. Hopefully the major focus of next year's version is to revamp the goalie animations.

Overall, the gameplay is very similar to NHL 09 if you choose to not play in Hardcore mode. Hardcore mode turns the game into the ultimate simulation, to the point where it's difficult to make two quick passes out of your own zone. I'm looking forward to playing the full game with the Be A GM mode and a more fully fleshed out Be A Pro mode. It's not the revolutionary leap NHL 08 and 09 were, but more of an evolutionary step towards creating the perfect hockey game. It's not quite there yet, but it's getting close.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 02:11:53 PM »

Thanks!

There is a whole new way to play games now and it's called Hardcore mode. In this mode a player's skill is affected much more greatly by their ratings. So a bottom feeding 4th liner will skate slower, pass more poorly, have poor stickhandling skills, etc. The speed of the game is also much slower. This is essentially the most pure simulation mode I have seen yet in the NHL series. Shot totals are way down, and it takes some skill to set up a decent break out of the zone.

This sounds GREAT!!!

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 02:13:04 PM »

I got one game in between the Pens and Red Wings. The game is almost identical to 09 it seems, with the ability to pin people against the boards being the only addition, which is fine by me because it is awesome. Game speed definitely felt slower, but I was able to set up my offense a little bit, which is something I struggled with in 09 (I'm not very good).

I did manage to score a goal. Talbot took a slapshot from the point which bounced off Osgood's shoulder, flipped up, and landed on the line. He tried to cover the puck, but ended up pushing it over the line.

I haven't played the hardcore mode like JayDee mentioned, because everything I have heard makes it sound like passing is brutal. I'll give it a shot, but that makes me think I wont be able to do it, since I'm not that good of a passer in the regular mode.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 02:14:40 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on August 21, 2009, 02:13:04 PM

I haven't played the hardcore mode like JayDee mentioned, because everything I have heard makes it sound like passing is brutal. I'll give it a shot, but that makes me think I wont be able to do it, since I'm not that good of a passer in the regular mode.

I'm hoping there is a way to play Hardcore mode without the new passing feature. Because the rest of it is awesome.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 02:36:10 PM »

The only thing that really irks me so far about the '10 demo (the little that I've played) are the new stick sound effects.

The sound the game makes when you take a slap shot is just horrid, and it seems like when you lift another player's stick, the sound is louder than it should be in a loud arena, almost to the point where it's jarring.

JayDee, is the Be a Pro demo a full game, or just one period like the Pens/Wings game is?

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 02:38:35 PM »

One five-minute period. Overtime if necessary.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 02:39:46 PM »

Cool, thanks.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 02:41:47 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on August 21, 2009, 01:48:19 PM

There are also women in the crowd now.

I haven't played NHL before - it took them until 2009 to add women to the crowd?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 06:29:33 PM »

The Hardcore Mode SOUNDS great. Like a game buy or pass feature for me (have to wait and see it in action first though).

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »

I haven't played NHL before

What's wrong with you!!!!!  eek  icon_biggrin

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »

Quote from: Devil on August 21, 2009, 07:45:43 PM

I haven't played NHL before

What's wrong with you!!!!!  eek  icon_biggrin

Well, I've always wanted to (I think I had one on the PSX) but I don't know hockey very well. It looks like fun, but I'd want to do line changes and stuff.  Maybe this year.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 01:00:05 AM »

Jump in, Tegg!

Got to play one game, jacked up the difficulty to highest level and got drafted #8 by the Sabers.

Looked and played great. No need for sliders, fools!!  icon_biggrin

BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 04:15:54 AM »

seems like in addition to boardplay and passing, player momentum is better this time around. That should lead to some breakaways if you fall asleep on D smile

I really liked the feel of the demo. Just feels overall more polished.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 06:48:17 AM »

Any idea when this demo is coming on PSN?  I didn't see it on there.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 07:22:22 PM »

The puck is SO much more live now.

Seems pretty good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: