http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 03:51:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL '09 Talk  (Read 35307 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2008, 06:53:15 AM »

Quote from: Devil on September 25, 2008, 03:06:09 AM

Any tips for when your team sucks? I'm a left wing and my D can't move the puck out of the zone and nobody can score (average less than a goal a game).

Killing me!

There's times when your team will go into a slump.  I'm not sure if such slumps are modeled in Pro or Rookie, but it seems to be on all star difficulty. My team -Manitoba Moose- went through a 3 game slump in the AHL and now my Canucks are doing the same in the NHL. Before the last 3 games we were unbeaten in 6 and got to the 4th spot overall in the NHL and I was averaging about 3 points per game. It  doesn't seem to matter what you do because everyone else on your team is off and everyone else on the other team is on. I haven't got a point in my last 2 games and have been lucky to escape with an overall ranking of C+ or higher.  icon_confused
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2008, 12:03:09 PM »

Kratz/Kron -

Yeah, but me making stuff happen has me going way out of position. Playing on All-Star,  my D can't start a breakout, the move up to the circles, I start moving up towards center ice, they turn it over, other team scores. I get a minus.  icon_frown

OR

Other team fires in a shot from almost behind the net. I get a minus.  icon_cry

Even when I'm on the bench we get no offensive pressure and need to win games 1-0, if at all.

Still got moved up to the 1st line in Lowell though. Just frustrating seeing the lack of good play at this point from my guys.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2008, 12:10:47 PM »

Perhaps it's the teams you guys choose to play on.  icon_wink

I've been having great games playing for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.  Last night we trailed 1-0 to Peoria.  Tied it 1-1.  Went up 2-1.  They tied it 2-2.  They took the lead 3-2.  We tied it 3-3.  I got the go ahead goal to make it 4-3 and an empty netter made it a final at 5-3.  I was not on the ice for the empty net.  I've seen some great cycling of the puck and shots from the point while sitting on the bench from both teams.  Game plays very realistic. 

How do you guys handle line changes?  Do you wait till the coach says "Line X (X is the line you play on)" and change or do you change it up as soon as your player is rested?  I tend to wait until the coach says "Line X" so that all lines get a chance. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:12:24 PM by Starshifter » Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2008, 01:14:51 PM »

You had 8 goals in a game - It would take me 9 games to see 8 goals!

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2008, 02:00:55 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 25, 2008, 01:14:51 PM

You had 8 goals in a game - It would take me 9 games to see 8 goals!

Are you calling for the pass? My strategy is that as soon as my d-man has the puck I rush over to an open area near the blue line and hit right-trigger to call for a pass. My d-man can usually send the puck to me without issue and I break out from the blue line.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2008, 02:11:40 PM »

Oh - I call for passes all the time...Problem is that the team never has possession enough to call for many of them.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »

Loving the game as well.  I'm a half dozen or so games into my Be A Pro career and doing pretty well as a defenseman.  For the PS3 guys, I am just 'Gellar' on PSN for some MP action.

gellar
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2008, 04:32:22 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 25, 2008, 02:47:54 PM

Loving the game as well.  I'm a half dozen or so games into my Be A Pro career and doing pretty well as a defenseman.  For the PS3 guys, I am just 'Gellar' on PSN for some MP action.

gellar

Couldn't wait until October after all?  icon_biggrin
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »

Someone released PS3 rosters that had a few of the new Kings D-Men in it.  Good enough for me (for now).

gellar
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2008, 05:19:19 PM »

Damn it I need to finished Uncharted and then sell it to raise some cash to get this. I'm thinking I'll be getting the PS3 version over the 360 version. I heart my PS3...
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2008, 10:17:58 PM »

I got promoted to the 2nd line for the Red Wings!

Yay me!

I'm confused by the instant replays... It seems like I can't affect the point of view it saves it with.

What am I doing wrong?

I have a video that shows me effectively moving to open ice in the top of the slot and generating two scoring chances, the second of which results in a goal (go me!), but the point of view resets when it saves and you can't see what my player is doing as the replay follows the puck...

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/763420
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2008, 06:05:42 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 25, 2008, 12:03:09 PM

Kratz/Kron -

Yeah, but me making stuff happen has me going way out of position. Playing on All-Star,  my D can't start a breakout, the move up to the circles, I start moving up towards center ice, they turn it over, other team scores. I get a minus.  icon_frown

OR

Other team fires in a shot from almost behind the net. I get a minus.  icon_cry

Even when I'm on the bench we get no offensive pressure and need to win games 1-0, if at all.

Still got moved up to the 1st line in Lowell though. Just frustrating seeing the lack of good play at this point from my guys.

Team momentum is modelled, so when the other teams is constantly forcing turnovers and scoring from impossible angles you need to do something to reverse momentum. I tested some things when my teams were in a slump and found a few simple things work. Make good passes in the blue zone and neutral zone. As others have said, if you or your team mates keep coughing up the puck the momentum will swing against you very quickly as well as your teamplay stat will plummet. Bone crunching, morale lifting, legal hits; much easier if your a defenseman and also very possible if you're a power or grit forward. Start a fight and win it, you'd be surprised at how this can get your team to start executing play properly. This is tricky because you can easily hook an opponent instead, on the other hand winning a fight is very easy. slywink thumbsup Mix up your play style, especially if your a forward. I've found that once you get on a hot scoring streak, other teams' defence seem to get better at guessing your offensive positioning. Of course getting the 1st goal is huge, but that's easier said than done.

My team and I have managed to break our previous 3 game slump. We won the 1st game out of it with a 4-3 win in a shootout; nope I didn't score. Next game we waxed the Oilers 5-2 and I got back on my 3 point per game pace.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2008, 06:43:54 PM »

Thanks - I'll try them all!

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2008, 10:26:53 PM »

There still openings for more people?  After I get paid at the end of the month, I'll be combing the budget to see if I can support the purchase.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2008, 02:16:03 PM »

I have my BaP defensive defenseman up to the 1st line in the Pros.  I didn't realize the momentum thing, but now that you've said that, I do see that.  The announcer will often comment on how one team will keep trying the same offensive tactic over and over (passing to the slot, for example) and it is just not working.  I thought it was flavor, but perhaps not.

Own-zone turnovers are punished ruthlessly.  I'm at -5 (it was worse, it's getting better) mainly due to turning over the puck or picking bad passing lanes and being scored against almost immediately.

My best opportunities to create a play happen if I can get a solid hit in the neutral zone and force a turnover which creates an odd man rush.  This will sometimes even get something like a 3 on 1 where I can jump in as the 3rd guy and call for the puck and shoot.

It should be obvious, but it is a great advantage to shoot when you have 1 or 2 forwards around the net to pick up the rebound.  The goalies (default settings, all star) don't seem to smother the puck as well as they probably should.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2008, 11:50:41 PM »

Just beat the red hot Senators to extend our unbeaten streak to 3 games and get back to the 4th place overall in the league. Unfortunately, next game we play the top of the league Flyers who have the shocking record of 24-8-0-4!  paranoid
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2008, 05:05:53 PM »

I think there is some catch-up AI in the game (at least on All-Star). Nothing major, but in the past two games the opposing team has marched down the ice and scored the tying goal within 30 seconds of my team going ahead, on three separate occasions. AI teams also seem to have the uncanny knack of scoring late in the game to tie or go ahead. It's a little frustrating, but not so blatant that it's a game-breaker just yet.

What I do love about the All-Star difficulty is that I have to earn my points. NHL players don't have 3 point games every night, and neither should I. Since being called up 8 games ago I have 4 goals and 2 assists. I think that's awesome, since I'm only a 19 year old rookie, so just under a point per game is a good pace. Of course, I'm a -8, but I never claimed to be a defensive forward. No Selke for me!
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2008, 06:04:27 PM »

I really haven't noticed catch up AI (I play all-star).  I've been blown out and have won by as many as 5 goals.  There will be the occasional goals that seem soft, but that seems to happen regardless of score or time in the game.

What I have seen is if the goalie is on, regardless of what you throw at him, you just can not score.  It goes along with the comment 'if a goalie gets a sweat on he's incredibly hard to beat' or something close to that.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2008, 11:56:43 PM »

Been mostly playing online with the QT3 team lately. I've never been that great of a scorer - maybe 17 or so goals in 45 games when I started playing last night. First game after starting I got my best game ever.

A double hat trick in a club game.

I added 25% or so to my goal totals in one game. So awesome.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2008, 01:23:50 PM »

Played 2 or 3 games of be a pro last night and loved it! This is easily the best version of this feature in any of the sports games I've played so far. I haven't scored any goals yet but they did a excellent job of making you feel a part of a team. When I play The Show as a position player I really don't feel attached to that particular game I'm playing. I'm just worried about doing whatever task I'm assigned and then move on to the next one. In the NHL game since you're watchign the entire game you get into the whole thing.

I'm playing as a Right Winger right now for The Rangers organization. Last night in the second game I played we went into overtime tied 1-1. The center and I got deep into the offensive zone and I made a quick cut towards the goal and the center fed me a perfect pass. I had a open lane for the goal so I pulled a quick deek and then tried to flip the puck over the goalie who went down low. The puck rolled over him and was sitting on his back for about 3-4 seconds before it fell down and was covered by a defenseman... Crazy stuff! Can't wait to get home and play some more.

I'm Octavious230 on the PSN. I need to go grab a headset as I don't have one for the PS3. I was thinking of just getting the cheapy logitech usb one since I don't really have the money to drop 40-50 bucks on the bluetooth headset. Anybody use the logitech one?
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2008, 06:15:50 PM »

See if you can find a copy of Warhammer with the headset.  Last I checked there were people getting it for the Greatest Hits price (29.99).
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2008, 10:55:50 PM »

Quote from: ArmyOfOne on September 29, 2008, 06:15:50 PM

See if you can find a copy of Warhammer with the headset.  Last I checked there were people getting it for the Greatest Hits price (29.99).

I think you mean Warhawk.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2008, 12:11:39 AM »

lol... if only i had a system.... I could totally play smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on September 29, 2008, 10:55:50 PM

Quote from: ArmyOfOne on September 29, 2008, 06:15:50 PM

I think you mean Warhawk.

How well do those headsets work? Can it be used with a phone too? They sell that bundle for 40 bucks at Target.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2008, 12:16:52 AM »

Just did a search and it gets terrible reviews. I think I'll just grab the USB headset I saw at Target today. I can use it with the computer too which is cool. It's got a 10 foot wire which is plenty for me.  thumbsup
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2008, 12:55:48 PM »

Scored my first goal last night on a wraparound.  thumbsup Another cool thing is that the game says my last name which makes it even more engaging. smile Usually it's only basketball games that have my last name. I think I'm going to grab the headset tonight and hit the online game. If it's even half as much fun as it sounds I'll be a happy camper. My only beefs so far are that the passing is insanely accurate and I hate the stupid nicknames they gave to the positions. It's annoying enough that I might turn off the commentary.  finger
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2008, 03:54:07 PM »

The passing seems less accurate than in past games.

You watch the NHL?  Those guys can pass.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »

I used to watch almost every game but lost intrest when everything got shut down. I started watching again towards the end of last season. I'm much more of a baseball fan
but in the last game I played my team completed 90 percent of the passes and computer completed 96 percent.. I would think that couldn't possibly be right.  eek I'm not terribly worried about it but it just jumped out to me when I looked at the end game stats.

On a side note someone needs to remind me to never read Operation Sports. I swear those guys always find something to bitch about. At least the stuff I see them bitching about doesn't seem to be occurring to me so whatever.  They keep on bitching that there are no CPU penalties but I've seen a ton already. And that's without touching any sliders.  Tongue
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:36:18 PM by Octavious230 » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2008, 04:47:25 PM »

What difficulty are you playing on?

I have the penalties slider all the way up, and it is EXTREMELY rare that a penalty occurs that isn't called on me...

Like not even once a game.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »

All Star.. I've only played Be A Pro so maybe that has something to do with it? Last game there were 2-3 penalties for the computer and about 5 for my team. I checked the stats and without touching the penalty slider in 4 games I had 9 powerplays.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:13:09 PM by Octavious230 » Logged
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 01, 2008, 01:18:34 AM »

I also see my share of calls to. Me. Teammates. Opponents. Everyone!

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 01, 2008, 01:23:00 AM »

What's the name of the PS3 club btw?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 01, 2008, 04:55:55 AM »

WooHoo...just netted my 50th goal tonight and 78th point and I managed to do it in 44 games! Don't know if I'll be able to catch Ovechkin in the overall scoring race though, as he had a 14 game head start and still has a 12 point lead on me. At least I'll be a candidate for rookie of the year.  icon_wink thumbsup

Quote from: Devil on October 01, 2008, 01:18:34 AM

I also see my share of calls to. Me. Teammates. Opponents. Everyone!

Mostly because I can't stand the arrogance of a forward who thinks they have a right to stand in the slot, I've definitely seen my share of calls. icon_twisted I've now gotten to 12th overall in the NHL for PIM, almost all of them cross checks. Of course a number of those minutes are from fights too.  slywink
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:59:41 AM by kronovan » Logged
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 02, 2008, 01:06:33 AM »

OK  - Finally got back to playing. My team has played 16 games and has 14 goals for. I have 6 of them.

Horrible.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 02, 2008, 02:02:08 AM »

Quote from: Devil on October 02, 2008, 01:06:33 AM

OK  - Finally got back to playing. My team has played 16 games and has 14 goals for. I have 6 of them.

Horrible.

What difficulty level are you playing on?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 02, 2008, 03:07:00 AM »

All-Star

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 02, 2008, 03:14:04 AM »

Quote from: Devil on October 02, 2008, 03:07:00 AM

All-Star

Ah.  Tongue

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2008, 05:35:37 AM »

We lost Kevin Bieksa to injury in a game against the red hot Sharks 3 games ago. It's apparently left a gaping whole in our defence because we've lost all games since and the overall defence and goalies both have a rating of cold. On the other hand I'm on a hot scoring streak with 5 goals and 2 assists in those 3 games and because I've put in 3 on the powerplay our PP has a ranking of hot. It's extremely frustrating to be on your game when the rest of the team is completely off. The game against the Sharks was a real hit to the groin because we outplayed them for most of the game but still lost 3-1. We then got waxed 5-2 by the Devils in which I was the only one who could find a way around Brodeur's impersonation of a bunker wall twice. I was also only on the ice for 1 of those 5 goals against.

Our last game is making me think for the 1st time since starting my Be a Pro career, that there might just be the odd bit of rubber banding still in NHL 09. What got me thinking is when we played the bottom dwelling Coyotes last game. We went up by scores of 3-1 and 4-2, but somehow they came back and scored 3 unanswered goals in the 3rd from impossible angles and positions. We did have Sanford in net instead of Luongo, but in previous games he was outstanding and we won. Other than the goals column, our end game stats were far better than the desert dogs.
Anyhow....I've been through 2 of these slumps before and I'm confident we'll pull out next game.  slywink thumbsup
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:46:01 AM by kronovan » Logged
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 02, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 02, 2008, 03:07:00 AM

All-Star

I think this is your problem.  I'm playing my BAP mode on Pro and goals/penalty's are very realistic.  I couldn't be happier.  I'll check tonight what my teams stats & scores are.  I think Pro mode is perfect for BAP and All-Star is perfect for playing a season with your team.  Like NHL 08, Pro mode in NHL 09 sucks (when controlling a team) because the computer just sits there and lets you cycle the puck ad infinitum.  All-Star mode, on the other hand, is the perfect balance for challenge when playing a season with your favorite team.  It seems reversed for BAP mode.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 02, 2008, 12:41:35 PM »

Thanks, Shifty - I don't want to bail now but it's frustrating as hell.

Normally I would blame myself, but when the whole team doesn't score, I can't take all the heat!

We'll see how it continues.

Tried to take over games myself, but as a LW, puts me way out of position most of the time. Got sent to the 2nd line, but brought back up to the first line after one game.

Just hope I can crack the NJ roster and hope things liven up once I get to the big club.

We'll see!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: