http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 05:35:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL 2K8.  (Read 29484 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2007, 09:23:46 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on January 31, 2007, 09:10:02 PM

I miss the NFL2k games; loved 'em on my Dreamcast. As long as they make this a great game like the series was, I'll pick it up. icon_biggrin I personally don't care if I'm using fantasy teams or real ones; it's the gameplay that matters to me.

Let me be clear, gameplay matters, thats why I am so pissed off at EA's handling of Madden (I am fine with the NCAA series), but we need to get the NFL back in these 2K games, whatever it takes, and EA needs to get their shit together. God I hope we never see another exclusivity deal.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 06:35:41 AM »

I'm a bit miffed that it's not being developed for the Wii...suprising, actually.   disgust
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2007, 03:03:56 PM »

Quote from: Gromit on February 01, 2007, 06:35:41 AM

I'm a bit miffed that it's not being developed for the Wii...suprising, actually.   disgust

Not really since NFL 2K5 wasn't on the Cube.  Also none of Take Two's other sports games are on Nintendo platforms.  2K Sports games tend to focus on presentation and online play.  Not exactly the strengths of the Wii.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2007, 03:18:30 PM »

Quote from: jblank on January 31, 2007, 03:31:16 AM

However, it's unclear what sort of players and teams will fill up All-Pro Football 2K8's rosters. While Blitz had the luxury of spicing up a roster of nobodies with gratuitous violence and performance-enhancing substances, Visual Concepts has an affinity for authentic simulations. One possiblity is 2K will opt for signing popular players of years past to fill out its teams, with Hall of Famers spanning decades going toe-to-toe against each other. However, that kind of roster would require 2K Sports to sign deals with each player individually.

thumbsdown Unless they find some way to have todays players, nobody is going to buy this, me included. As unhappy as I am with the current state of Madden on next gen systems, the idea of playing with Bart Starr and Roger Staubach rather than Brett Favre and Tony Romo, makes me less than enthusiastic.

I would LOVE some good competition for EA, but I am sad to say this doesn't really sound like it................yet.

I'm sure sombody will come out with some current rosters now the team names and accurate cities?

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2007, 04:36:55 PM »

If the presentation and gameplay is good I am positive I could get by with fictional teams and players. For me, the NFL license would be great but if they can build a good league with an interesting legacy mode I would play it.

I was intrigued with what the Blitz franchise did but the game play kept me from checking it out.

If 2K8 did something similar, gave their league some personality or flavor it would be neat. Im not a sims boy by any means. I like a little realism but as long as the game is fun and compelling then Im interested.

Unfortunately, that interview said a whole lot of BS which makes me nervous about what this All Pro 2K8 will be like. Couldn't he give a FEW details???

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2007, 04:51:37 PM »

Here's a few details for you punk:

1) I will kick your butt as always in the 2k series of football games online.
2) When we play, I will choose a team with some sort of fish in the logo, and you can have the team with a gay rifleman-like guy.
3) It will be just like old times (assuming the fish team has a powerback that you can't stop, of course.)

icon_biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2007, 06:21:24 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 01, 2007, 04:51:37 PM

Here's a few details for you punk:

1) I will kick your butt as always in the 2k series of football games online.
2) When we play, I will choose a team with some sort of fish in the logo, and you can have the team with a gay rifleman-like guy.
3) It will be just like old times (assuming the fish team has a powerback that you can't stop, of course.)

icon_biggrin

HA HA HA. Your on!!

dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2007, 08:56:37 PM »

Didn't 2k5 come in priced at something like  half that of Madden when it was released?  Wouldn't that be their strategy again?(maybe not half price, but significant savings over EA's offering)
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2007, 07:04:16 PM »

They were selling NFL 2k5 for $29.95 (a great price icon_biggrin).

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 07:24:31 PM »

Quote from: Scoop20906 on February 02, 2007, 07:04:16 PM

They were selling NFL 2k5 for $29.95 (a great price icon_biggrin).

Actually 19.95.  icon_biggrin

Also Madden went from 49.95 down to 29.95 by the middle of Nov 2005 as a result of 2K5's lower price.

Competition is good for gamers.

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2007, 07:52:23 PM »

For me, it could work. On one hand, I really like the NFL. On the other hand - what else can football be? It's a really big thing, and if they incorporate it how I'm invisioning it - it could be damn fun.

You can start your own team, full of no namers, but basically a starter team. Maybe in a minor minor football league. You work your way up to a minor league, then the pro league. All the while getting complete customizations over things, a great play making system, and so one. Make it about the experience from going from small guys to pro, and you cut out a lot of the "Man, I really wish this were NFL" stuff.

Sounds kind of lame when I put it like that, but in my head it's pretty exciting.  icon_neutral

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2007, 08:05:25 PM »

Was it really that cheap? Guess I refused to believe my suspect memory.

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2007, 08:30:34 PM »

I guess I'm one of the few who couldn't care less about the players or teams. I just want a good football game to play. I'm a stat and dynasty junkie and don't care much if my players or teams are "real" or not. I just want to build up the team I'm playing as. I'm really excited to play the demo of 2K8, then hopefully buy the full game if it lives up to its pedigree.

I also think it'll be coming out at $40. Without that NFL license to worry about, that's one of the advantages they have over EA. The other advantage presumably being gameplay...

I'm excited.  nod
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2007, 07:08:24 PM »

The more football games the better.  EA REALLY needs some competiton.

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2007, 11:48:27 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on February 03, 2007, 08:30:34 PM

I guess I'm one of the few who couldn't care less about the players or teams. I just want a good football game to play. I'm a stat and dynasty junkie and don't care much if my players or teams are "real" or not. I just want to build up the team I'm playing as. I'm really excited to play the demo of 2K8, then hopefully buy the full game if it lives up to its pedigree.

Ditto. I can NOT wait.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2007, 12:59:56 PM »

meh, the only logical solution as far as I can tell is just city names and numbers for the players... with accurate stats...  as opposed to thier names...  That way your not really using the nflpa people, but you are getting a decent nfl-esque game

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2007, 02:56:54 PM »

You know...

This thread is two pages long now, so it's probably already been mentioned, BUT...

They could do what the 2k series has done for their baseball and college basketball games for years and have an option to randomly generate names at the start of the season, put all the names in a ginormously huge database, have them all voiced-in, and let people create a totally fictitious league.

That could actually be sort of cool (well, for some folks like me that could get into it, that is).

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2007, 03:30:03 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on February 18, 2007, 12:59:56 PM

meh, the only logical solution as far as I can tell is just city names and numbers for the players... with accurate stats...  as opposed to thier names...  That way your not really using the nflpa people, but you are getting a decent nfl-esque game

That's how the first few original Madden games were like on the Sega Genesis and it was fine by me. I'd take that tiny hit to gain the 2K gameplay.

Quote from: Lockdown on February 18, 2007, 02:56:54 PM

They could do what the 2k series has done for their baseball and college basketball games for years and have an option to randomly generate names at the start of the season, put all the names in a ginormously huge database, have them all voiced-in, and let people create a totally fictitious league.

That could actually be sort of cool (well, for some folks like me that could get into it, that is).

I rather like this feature and prefer it to playing using the current NFL player names. I hope they offer this feature in 2K8 in addition!

--Devil
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2007, 07:17:49 PM »

This is actually the only game that could possibly get me to purchase a next-gen system.

I am so incredibly in I can't even explain it.

GREAT NEWS!

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2007, 07:53:39 PM »

WHATTHEFUCK.  Someone on Op Sports has posted this, referencing the May issue of Game Informer:

I have the May GI issue
Ok guys ,i cant post any scans but i do have the issue in front of me.
Its 5 pages long with some decent info and quite a few pics

Ok first the graphics
This is definitely an early version because it looks like its not even XBOX 1
Although it is mentioned the graphics were very early and they would be improved

Now for the info i know you guys really want
ill just make bullet points

-No crib
-No first person football
-They have late hits
-You wont be able to recrete NFL teams or players
-No euphoria engine ( at least the way they spoke of it)
-greatlly improved animation engine
-Injuries actually take into account the type of hit and angle
-They do away with the 0-100 rating system. They now use a tier system that takes into account +/- rating in many different catagories.
-Stadiums are very animated, for example one team is named the Rhinos and the stadium has a giant animatronic Rhino built into it.
-Crowds now have 64 different types all with 64 different types of animation.
-AI is GREATLYimproved, running backs now actually use cutback lanes and dont get themselves caught behind the line
-O-line/D-line interaction has been greatly improved as well
-They say early footage they have seen shows great improvment in transition animation which makes the game run even more smooth than before.
-They have much more complicated animations now, for example a QB throwing on the run while being hit

There is a bit more but i have to get going, i'll back to answer any questions i can incase nobody else gets the mag today

No player/team editor?  WHAT?

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2007, 07:55:28 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 10, 2007, 07:53:39 PM

WHATTHEFUCK.  Someone on Op Sports has posted this, referencing the May issue of Game Informer:

I have the May GI issue
Ok guys ,i cant post any scans but i do have the issue in front of me.
Its 5 pages long with some decent info and quite a few pics

Ok first the graphics
This is definitely an early version because it looks like its not even XBOX 1
Although it is mentioned the graphics were very early and they would be improved

Now for the info i know you guys really want
ill just make bullet points

-No crib
-No first person football
-They have late hits
-You wont be able to recrete NFL teams or players
-No euphoria engine ( at least the way they spoke of it)
-greatlly improved animation engine
-Injuries actually take into account the type of hit and angle
-They do away with the 0-100 rating system. They now use a tier system that takes into account +/- rating in many different catagories.
-Stadiums are very animated, for example one team is named the Rhinos and the stadium has a giant animatronic Rhino built into it.
-Crowds now have 64 different types all with 64 different types of animation.
-AI is GREATLYimproved, running backs now actually use cutback lanes and dont get themselves caught behind the line
-O-line/D-line interaction has been greatly improved as well
-They say early footage they have seen shows great improvment in transition animation which makes the game run even more smooth than before.
-They have much more complicated animations now, for example a QB throwing on the run while being hit

There is a bit more but i have to get going, i'll back to answer any questions i can incase nobody else gets the mag today

No player/team editor?  WHAT?

gellar

So in that case, unless its 20$, why do I want to get it?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2007, 08:01:54 PM »

It says you cannot create NFL Teams and Players.  How does that mean there is no player editor?

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2007, 08:03:39 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 10, 2007, 07:55:28 PM

It will actually play a better game of football than the EA offering?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »

Quote from: Graham on April 10, 2007, 08:03:39 PM

I can also do that by playing the annual NCAA game from EA. The bottom line is a ton of fun from playing NFL games is playing the Titans or whatever during the season. I want an awesome football game, yes, but if they are going to go unlicensed, they might as well try college where there already are no player names. I dont want to play the Rambling Rhinos of Raleigh for my NFL gaming fix. If the gameplay is better bully to them, and I will buy it when it hits around 20 bucks.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2007, 08:49:22 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 10, 2007, 08:01:54 PM

It says you cannot create NFL Teams and Players.  How does that mean there is no player editor?

Recreate.  Not create.  Which most are taking to mean you won't be able to edit the players, but it is still speculation.  Even still, I'm bummed that you won't be able to make those teams/players.  It would have been great for the PS3, since it's so simple to transfer files to the console.

The general speculation on OpSports is that Take 2 is afraid that if they somehow allow users to recreate NFL teams or likeness, they would get sued by EA and the NFL, which would sink the project even if they won the lawsuit.

gellar
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2007, 09:14:40 PM »

Fuck it - If the gameplay is stellar - I'm in. 

To hell with EA for taking the license to begin with.  (and to hell with 2k for taking the baseball license for that matter).

You know what?  To hell with everybody!

LD

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2007, 09:26:19 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on April 10, 2007, 09:14:40 PM

Fuck it - If the gameplay is stellar - I'm in. 

To hell with EA for taking the license to begin with.  (and to hell with 2k for taking the baseball license for that matter).

You know what?  To hell with everybody!

Concur with all.  Except the last part about damning everyone to hell icon_twisted icon_biggrin
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2007, 10:17:17 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 10, 2007, 08:49:22 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on April 10, 2007, 08:01:54 PM

The general speculation on OpSports is that Take 2 is afraid that if they somehow allow users to recreate NFL teams or likeness, they would get sued by EA and the NFL, which would sink the project even if they won the lawsuit.

gellar

Exactly why I think VC will go out of their way to say you cannot create NFL players in every interview.  I think the fact that they said that, not "there will be no editor," is a key distinction.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 11:59:53 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2007, 03:26:10 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 10, 2007, 08:48:00 PM

I can also do that by playing the annual NCAA game from EA. The bottom line is a ton of fun from playing NFL games is playing the Titans or whatever during the season. I want an awesome football game, yes, but if they are going to go unlicensed, they might as well try college where there already are no player names. I dont want to play the Rambling Rhinos of Raleigh for my NFL gaming fix. If the gameplay is better bully to them, and I will buy it when it hits around 20 bucks.

IIRC, EA has the NCAA rights as well, so they couldn't make an NCAA game.  I also believe that Madden outsells NCAA every year, so it would make sense to go into that market.

VC might not be able to use the NFL team names, but city names can be used without having to worry about the NFL going after them because they aren't protected.  I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the old rivalries with slightly different names for the players.  That's what they did before the NFL got into licensing their brand.  The original Madden even had similar names for players but not the actual names.  Same thing with Mike Ditka Ultimate Football and Front Page Sports: Football (not Pro).  There are ways to make it seem similar to the NFL without infringing on the copyright.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2007, 03:59:18 AM »

Quote from: Graham on April 11, 2007, 03:26:10 AM

Quote from: Calvin on April 10, 2007, 08:48:00 PM

IIRC, EA has the NCAA rights as well, so they couldn't make an NCAA game.  I also believe that Madden outsells NCAA every year, so it would make sense to go into that market.

VC might not be able to use the NFL team names, but city names can be used without having to worry about the NFL going after them because they aren't protected.  I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the old rivalries with slightly different names for the players.  That's what they did before the NFL got into licensing their brand.  The original Madden even had similar names for players but not the actual names.  Same thing with Mike Ditka Ultimate Football and Front Page Sports: Football (not Pro).  There are ways to make it seem similar to the NFL without infringing on the copyright.

Yeah honestly this is what I'm hoping for most.

gellar
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2007, 07:01:01 PM »

I will probably buy it.  Fuck EA.  I think it would be a mistake to price it at the standard $60 point though.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2007, 01:45:17 PM »

I don't see how anybody could sue anybody for providing an editor with their game.  If fans want to change the content of the game then that is not the company's responsibility.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2007, 04:55:55 PM »

Right - I don't get the distinction they're trying to make in those interviews.  It doesn't seem possible to support their claim that you can't recreate NFL teams/players if there is indeed an editor.

How could that work?  If I go into the editor and create a player named "Payton Manning" the game engine tells me that's an invalid name and won't accept it?  That's nuts.  I think they're trying to be clever and give people hope about an editor but I don't see how they could have it both ways.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2007, 05:14:13 PM »

If that's the case, I will just put Mc in front of every last name.

Peyton McManning
Alex McSmith
R.W. McMcQuarters

gellar
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2007, 05:27:14 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 13, 2007, 01:45:17 PM

I don't see how anybody could sue anybody for providing an editor with their game.  If fans want to change the content of the game then that is not the company's responsibility.

Marvel sued City of Heroes over their editor and how people were able to recreate the look of Marvel characters.  It wasn't the wisest decision and Marvel got a lot of flack for it.

If the NFL does sue 2K8 over the editor, they risk pissing off a lot of football fans.  Granted, they did that when selling the exlusive rights to EA.

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2007, 05:41:56 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 13, 2007, 05:14:13 PM

Peyton McManning
Alex McSmith
R.W. McMcQuarters

gellar

Exactly. There should be ways around that while still avoiding upsetting the NFL 500 lb gorillia.

I just want a 2K football game on my 360 that's on par with the 2K5 quality (hopefully with the next gen features). Generic names or not.

--Devil
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2007, 06:43:44 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on April 13, 2007, 05:41:56 PM

Quote from: gellar on April 13, 2007, 05:14:13 PM

Peyton McManning
Alex McSmith
R.W. McMcQuarters

gellar

Exactly. There should be ways around that while still avoiding upsetting the NFL 500 lb gorillia.

I just want a 2K football game on my 360 that's on par with the 2K5 quality (hopefully with the next gen features). Generic names or not.

I am totally with you, I'm just concerned about a full $60 title that doesn't have any of the fun NFL stuff in it (well, the actual licensed stuff). Even $40 would help.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2007, 08:09:17 PM »

If they did have a name blocker built into the editor, that would mean that all of the NFL's licensed player names would have to be in the editor code somewhere to recognize names as they were entered.  I wouldn't think EA's legal machine would be happy about that content being in any game anywhere.  Unless I'm missing the boat on how that would work.   

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2007, 03:07:09 PM »

You know, it seems to me that if EA or the NFL could sue 2K for the ability to put NFL players' names in the game, then the NCAA (or individual players I suppose) could sue EA because you can put NCAA players' names in EA's NCAA football game. 

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2007, 04:06:03 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on April 17, 2007, 03:07:09 PM

You know, it seems to me that if EA or the NFL could sue 2K for the ability to put NFL players' names in the game, then the NCAA (or individual players I suppose) could sue EA because you can put NCAA players' names in EA's NCAA football game. 

But that's not ever going to happen.  The NCAA does in fact license the game, they are just disallowed from using player names because of their own specific rules.  The NCAA obviously does not really care about this rule being that strictly enforced, so why would they sue?

gellar
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: