http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:27:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next gen-worth it?  (Read 979 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:51:41 PM »

I'm coming back to Canada in a few days so I've been stocking up on cameras (if you know anybody in Japan then cameras are definitely a good thing to ask for.  With prices and taxes I saved my aunt over $400 Cdn on a Nikon D80).  Anyways I've managed to accumulate 16,000 yen worth of Bic Camera points.  That would bring the cost of a 20GB PS3 down to only 33,000 yen or about $275 US.  I would also consider the 360 but there's the whole problem with not being able to play NA games or movies.  Anyways, it's all very tempting but I find myself wondering, is it even worth spending the money now if I don't have an HD TV?  I just have a regular Sony SDTV (well actually it may be partly HD because it can play those Discover HD channels quite beautifully) so I'm wondering if it is really worth spending the money right now or if I should just wait a couple years.  Maybe I can stick to my PS2 and computer for gaming.  Still it would be nice to have a cheap Blueray player around.  Sorry for this rambling post.  I guess basically what I'm wondering is, will I still be impressed with the way the games look on my regular TV?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 12:06:53 AM »

Well, the big caveat you give is no HDTV.  One of the biggest attractions for current gen (next gen is so previous gen agon slywink) is the ability to view games in HD.  Most games do look much better than previous gen games even in standard def, but the difference is supposed to be significant.

Also, if you don't have at least a 5.1 sound set up, I'd recommend waiting too.

So IMO, I think a 360 is worth the jump to next gen. Given your region and the limitations cited, I'd say no- don't jump in just yet.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 12:47:58 AM »

I have to disagree slightly with ATB. It's true that you can't benefit fully from the new consoles without an HDTV, however the games still look much better than what the PS2/GC/Xbox generation has to offer and not to mention there are some really good games out there. If there are any games you are interested, don't let not having an HDTV hold you back.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 01:59:18 AM »

The graphics and HD are only one aspect of "next gen".  I have found the online component of the 360 to be as compelling as HD.  I don't know how that would translate to the PS3, but XBL is extremely well done.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 02:14:33 AM »

I'm still not caught up to last-gen.

I still have PSX games in the backlog...
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 02:26:30 AM »

275 seems a nice price unless there is something else you want/need more that you can spend the points on.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 02:39:27 AM »

I don't have an HDTV or surround sound and I find my 360 worth it.  What is worse I haven't even bought a game in months!  I love the on-line portion, I use it to rip all my CDs, and I use it for DVDs as well.  With Mass Effect, and other games coming out this year I don't expect to be wanting. 

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 03:28:07 AM »

I'm wondering, living in Japan can I play on an American/Canadian account?  I think I would much rather buy a Japanese PS3 for about $300 Cdn than a North American 360 for $450-500 (tax incl).

The whole online thing is definitely appealing to me.  Does the PS3 have downloadable games like Xbox Live does?  Hmm...doushiyo kana? (I wonder what should I do?)
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 03:44:55 AM »

Most likely you can hook your 360 or PS3 into your computer monitor and soundcard. Works better than a regular non-HD TV.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 04:17:56 AM »

yeah ps3 has downloadable games.
If i had the chance to get a PS3 for a good price like that, no doubt I'd get it.
No matter my TV/Sound situation.

But like unbreakable I still have Sega games backlogged, then PSX....then PS2, by that time PS6 will be just getting released.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 05:38:10 AM »

If you ask me, at this point in time, the 360 is worth it and the ps3 is not.  AT THIS TIME.  The Wii... well... uh, its fun.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 12:43:01 PM »

Yes that is certainly true but I can't buy a Japanese Xbox because of the whole region thing.  Actually some people have told me that lots of 360 games will work on both regions.  For example, Splinter Cell and Gears of War.  But if some games don't have a problem with the regions then why can't all games be that way?  I don't get it. Otherwise I probably would pick up a 360.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: