http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 04:06:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you pre-ordered a next gen console?
Yes, a PS4. - 39 (34.8%)
Yes, an Xbox One. - 5 (4.5%)
Yes, both. - 20 (17.9%)
No I'm going to wait for a while. - 23 (20.5%)
I don't plan on pre-ordering. - 25 (22.3%)
Total Voters: 112

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next gen purchase poll  (Read 5634 times)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 03, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 03, 2013, 05:17:09 PM

I was just using those games as examples of titles that have come from companies who have done stupid stuff before, not as a specific example of that game doing anything.  The only point I was trying to make is most major gaming companies have done something to kick gamers in the balls at some point, and people always move on. 

I actually left Activision titles off of it because I couldn't think of anything they've done along the lines of Ubisofts DRM, EA's always online crap, Valves Half Life shenanigans (sure, we'll put out episodes.... oh, wait, now that we did it twice maybe not), Square Enix's FF14 (and didn't the true ending for FF13-2 end up becoming DLC?) or Gearbox's most recent 'PR' for Colonial Marines.

I can hold a grudge, I still haven't bought a new Madden game since 2004.

But I won't hold one against Microsoft for the XBone, I'll eventually get it if it gets enough exclusives to justify it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 03, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 03, 2013, 05:42:10 PM

I do agree it's hard to hold a grudge when evil gaming companies go and release a game you really want.  EA is plenty evil, and the Sim City fiasco was the shit cherry on top of their giant shit sundae, but then they had to go and make Tit and Fall, Mirror's Edge 2, Battlefield 4, and a new Star Wars Battlefront.  Ubisoft is plenty evil, and their latest security vulnerability is their own shit cherry, but then oh.  The Division. 

So ok, you still get more of my moneys, Evil Company.  But I swear I'm going to give you the sneer of a lifetime as I hand over my credit card, and I may find a way to sneak in dollar signs when I write your name on online forums.

Indeed.  $hove it where the $un don't $hine, Micro$haft!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 03, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »

Ms Duncan, a proper southern belle like you using such language?  OUTRAGEOUS!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:26:23 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: July 03, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »

On the other hand, new tech demos of the Kinect2 are looking really impressive. Also, some developers are saying that the kinect 2 gets it right.

However, the demos of the Kinect 1 were impressive, before most of them turned out to be outright lies, or nowhere near as usable or responsive after they changed the hardware.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 03, 2013, 06:52:21 PM »

Ooh, can you hold your own skateboard up to Kinect 2 and have it scanned into the game?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 03, 2013, 06:52:21 PM

Ooh, can you hold your own skateboard up to Kinect 2 and have it scanned into the game?

fug the skateboard, I want a full body scan avatar in 1080p!!!

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: July 03, 2013, 08:15:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 03, 2013, 07:53:35 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 03, 2013, 06:52:21 PM

fug the skateboard, I want a full body scan avatar in 1080p!!!

I'm not so sure the Kinect wants to do that. It'd probably fall apart or something. Perhaps it might commit suicide.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 03, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 05, 2013, 12:17:53 AM »

So I picked up the latest Edge to read their thoughts on why the PS4 was the best choice. Quick summary:

- Microsoft's reversal on DRM shows lack of confidence in their vision for the console
- PS4's price and hardware
- TV features only available in North America at launch (keep in mind Edge is based in UK)
- Lack of Kinect launch game to showcase Kinect 2.0
- Sony's advantage in number of publishers/games published in first year
- Sony's advantage in ease of development

In short, a lot of what we already knew but summed up pretty elegantly. They pointed out that the Xbox would be the right choice if the console wars were starting 5 years from now, but felt its features were a lot of complicated things nobody asked for.

They did seem to be a bit harsher on the Xbox's E3 games they demoed than the PS4's, but then again they were tough on just about everything.

It definitely convinced me my plan of buying PS4 at launch and waiting a year or three for the Xbox is the right one for me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:19:51 AM by YellowKing » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2013, 05:56:54 AM »

I'm actually excited for the Kinect 2, however, it's looking like with the 360, there are no dedicated processors for the Kinect 2, and thus the more complicated input from it will take up more processing time and memory on the hardware, taking from games. Which isn't such a big deal since Kinect games traditionally were more party style games without emphasis on graphics.

But, I still want Steel Battalion to work, and that does need graphics.

Another thing is that, eve if the Eye had been in the box for the PS4, 3rd party developers aren't going to go too heavy into camera usage save for the ones that have gotten in already, Dance Central.

Sony doesn't actually have an advantage in terms of announced games. Their game lineup of announced titles is actually lower. But that can easily change.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: July 05, 2013, 06:00:21 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 05, 2013, 05:56:54 AM

Sony doesn't actually have an advantage in terms of announced games. Their game lineup of announced titles is actually lower. But that can easily change.

They have announced that they will release more first-party titles over the console's first year than Microsoft, though they haven't announced the specific titles for the most part. I believe the Xbox One will have 15 first-party titles, while the PS4 will have 20. Keep in mind that we are likely to see delays within both those groups.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 06, 2013, 02:32:19 PM »

I'm actually excited for the Kinect 2, however, it's looking like with the 360, there are no dedicated processors for the Kinect 2, and thus the more complicated input from it will take up more processing time and memory on the hardware, taking from games. Which isn't such a big deal since Kinect games traditionally were more party style games without emphasis on graphics.

Another thing is that, eve if the Eye had been in the box for the PS4, 3rd party developers aren't going to go too heavy into camera usage save for the ones that have gotten in already, Dance Central.

After being genuinely interested in Kinect as it was announced and having the thing turn into such underpowered crap, I find it hard to get excited again.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »

Gamestop cuts off PS4 pre-orders

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 10, 2013, 02:58:16 PM »

Interesting to see some of the headlines that pop up when you type PS4 or Xbox One into Google News.

PS4:
Sony: PS4 will rekindle diversity of PSone era
Cerny: We're entering a renaissance of gaming on PS4
PS4 can 'fundamentally alter the landscape for games'
Sony's CEO says homework was behind PS4 winning hearts
PS4 Release Date Teased by Sony
Academics can apply for a PS4 devkit starting tomorrow
Mark Cerny created a giant PS4 DualShock to aid Knack development

Xbox One:
Battlefield 4 will support Kinect on Xbox One
PS4 Versus XBox One: The Pseudo-Musical
How would a Microsoft-owned Zynga have affected the Xbox One?
Alleged Xbox One dev kit leaker appears in children's court
Xbox One petition calls for restoration of family sharing, other digital ...
Mashing to mastery: is it worth participating in Xbox One exclusive ...
The Xbox One's Future In Japan Not Looking Bright

MS has lost the messaging war.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 10, 2013, 03:32:54 PM »

Best Buy no longer accepting pre-ordered for the XB1

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2013, 03:40:48 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 06, 2013, 02:32:19 PM

After being genuinely interested in Kinect as it was announced and having the thing turn into such underpowered crap, I find it hard to get excited again.

+1 to this.  Even the kids have moved on from those games. My son would rather play with his Legos now.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 26, 2013, 01:38:44 AM »

So what do we think about this?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/07/23/analysts-says-xbox-one-could-outship-ps4-3-to-1-at-launch/

Are these analysts onto something or are they smoking some really good crack?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 26, 2013, 01:55:07 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 26, 2013, 01:38:44 AM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/07/23/analysts-says-xbox-one-could-outship-ps4-3-to-1-at-launch/

Based on pre-order allotments to Amazon, and other rumors we've heard about production, they are smoking crack.
It's just analysts being analysts, here's one on the flip side
PS4 has 50% lead over Xbox One
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 26, 2013, 03:07:53 AM »

Percentage of people likely to buy is a very different thing from units shipped. Sony had better meet demand, because there are likely to be a considerable number of people (among average consumers) that will buy the xb1 as an alternative, if it has better availability.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 26, 2013, 03:42:39 AM »

After some debate about eBay chances and some annoying experiences with that site lately (seriously, removing the option to give negative reviews to buyers was DUMB), I added a PS4 back to Amazon's launch allotments for someone who may actually use it.  Decided to upgrade my gaming PC instead, especially since a majority of the games I want are PC too.  Of course the upgrade could turn into a full build since I'm already looking at replacing the CPU, RAM and video card.  that's about half the components, and the CM Storm Stryker is looking kind of sexy; it'd fit in quite nicely with my other 3 Cooler Master PC's smile

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: July 26, 2013, 07:24:12 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 26, 2013, 01:38:44 AM

Smoking crack. Their report is contrary to everything else that has been reported, both by people in the retail chains and by other analysts. This comes off as an attention grab.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: July 26, 2013, 07:34:04 AM »

Forbes doesn't have the best writers or fact checking when it comes to its articles in this area of journalism.

I'd bet a lot of money that this wasn't true, heck, if Sony's stock wasn't already buoyed by this, I might have bought some already.

Although I'm seriously considering picking up MS stock low when they bungle their next announcement, for when they eventually figure things out, which they will.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: October 01, 2013, 03:38:39 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 25, 2013, 03:48:59 PM

I sure hope you can turn down the brightness on the PS4 controller glow.

For Thief, you'll need to stick to the shadows then.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: