http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:47:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you pre-ordered a next gen console?
Yes, a PS4. - 39 (34.8%)
Yes, an Xbox One. - 5 (4.5%)
Yes, both. - 20 (17.9%)
No I'm going to wait for a while. - 23 (20.5%)
I don't plan on pre-ordering. - 25 (22.3%)
Total Voters: 112

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next gen purchase poll  (Read 6370 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 26, 2013, 04:08:54 PM »

Once I have a XB1 controller in my house, I'll be able to get a good comparison vs the DS4.

assuming they have XB1 controllers for PC use that is.  Tongue

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 26, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 26, 2013, 03:22:08 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on June 26, 2013, 03:04:37 PM

The 360 controller has been one of my all time favorites in terms of comfort, especially for marathon stretches of gaming.  It's not the offset sticks that make the 360 controller my favorite of this generation, it's the space between the right stick and the face buttons.  My thumb cramps quickly due to the short distance between the right stick and face buttons of the ps3.  I have to lay my right thumb flat over the face buttons rather than arch it during longer play sessions.  I've never had that problem on the 360 controller. 

The ps4 controller looks bigger, which makes me optimistic that it will be a better fit for my hands.       

I don't think I am entirely sure i understand what you mean(i have the 2 controllers in my hand trying to figure it out,LOL)do you not rest your right thumb on the right analogue stick(for either controller that is) while playing games?
Yes, definitely resting on the right thumbstick icon_razz (I'm imaging you trying to make sense of what I was trying to say and then applying it to your controllers).  When I move my right thumb from resting on the right thumbstick to the face buttons on the dual shock, the ergonomics and spacing seems cramped compared to the 360 controller, if that makes sense.  It's not as comfortable as the 360 controller, espcially if I play for an hour or more.  My thumb will start to ache.  I don't think people with shorter (normal?) fingers and thumbs would notice it.  Too bad thumb wrestling isn't an olympic sport. I was undeafeted in school because of my wierd long thumbs.     
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »

Ahh,okay yeah i do know what you mean now

and 1,2,3,4 I declare a thumb war!! icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2013, 07:01:15 AM »

if you compare prices with inflation, even the XB1 is a steal!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 01, 2013, 12:37:39 AM »

Wow, that chart almost makes me want to cry.

My mom bought me the Atari 2600 in 1980, then the NES in '85, the Sega Genesis in '89, and the Super NES in 1991. This was a single parent raising two kids on close to minimum wage income. Thinking of the sacrifices she must have had to make just to buy me those toys....damn. Now I'm all verklempt....talk amongst yourselves...
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2013, 01:20:32 AM »

The problem for Microsoft is that since the original Playstation launch only two consoles cost more in today's dollars.  Both the Saturn and the PS3 were generally considered too expensive at launch and suffered for it.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2013, 01:53:44 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on July 01, 2013, 01:20:32 AM

The problem for Microsoft is that since the original Playstation launch only two consoles cost more in today's dollars.  Both the Saturn and the PS3 were generally considered too expensive at launch and suffered for it.

Indeed.   The MS1 is the most expensive console of the past 15 years besides the PS3.    The PS3 suffered for a long time because of it's price tag.   

Something tells me Microsoft was betting that Sony would have to come north of $500, and they could come in at $500 and offer a kinect with the bundle?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2013, 01:10:10 PM »

Microsoft was counting on the PS4 coming in at $500. Then they could claim same price, more value (due to Kinect). Sony dropping the Eye and undercutting them caught them with their pants down.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »

I came across this interesting chart of 1st party exclusives for the first year after each console's launch. This should make it a lot simpler to understand the scope of what has been revealed so far. I didn't make this, so I can't vouch for its accuracy. Note that 3rd party exclusives, such as Titanfall, aren't listed. This chart only lists titles directly published by either Microsoft or Sony, which will be on the Xbox One or the PS4 respectively.

I would be surprised if Sony has any more to release at launch than what they've already revealed, so Microsoft is doing best when it comes to exclusives right away. On the other hand, they've also played almost their entire hand already, so there's very little left for them to surprise people with. If this chart is accurate, Sony has still only announced 25% of its 1st party exclusives for the first year.

I was expecting titles like Deep Down on the Sony side of things, but I guess they haven't said anything about when it's going to be released.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2013, 04:00:13 PM »

Eh, that list is a bit disingenuous. Here's what I've seen around as a more comprehensive overview of all titles coming for both platforms:

PlayStation 4: 72 Games
Xbox One: 59 Games

Only on Xbox One  (14 games)
• Below
• Black Tusk Studio game
• Crimson Dragon
• D4
• Dead Rising 3
• Forza Motorsport 5
• Halo
• Killer Instinct
• Kinect Sports Rivals
• Powerstar Golf
• Quantum Break
• Rabbids Invasion
• Ryse: Son of Rome
• Sunset Overdrive

Xbox One Next-Gen Console Exclusive (8 games)
• Fantasia: Music Evolved
• LocoCycle
• Minecraft Xbox One Edition
• Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
• Project Spark
• Titanfall
• Zoo Tycoon
• Zumba Fitness: World Party

Only On PS4 (10 games)
• Basement Crawl
• Deep Down
• Driveclub
• Galak-Z
• Infamous: Second Son
• Killzone: Shadow Fall
• Knack
• The Order 1886
• Secret Ponchos
• Super Stardust (spiritual successor)

PS4 Next-Gen Console Exclusive (25 games)
• Blacklight: Retribution
• Contrast
• Daylight
• DC Universe Online
• Diablo III
• Doki-Doki Universe
• Don't Starve
• Final Fantasy XIV
• Hohokum
• Mercenary Kings
• Octodad: Dadliest Catch
• Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee New ‘n’ Tasty
• Outlast
• The Pinball Arcade
• Planetside 2
• Primal Carnage: Genesis
• Project Heart and Soul
• Ray's the Dead
• Rocketbirds 2: Evolution
• Super Motherload
• Tiny Brains
• Transistor
• War Thunder
• Warframe
• The Witness

Multi-Platform (37 games)
• Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
• Battlefield 4
• Call of Duty: Ghosts
• Carmageddon: Reincarnation
• The Crew
• Cyberpunk 2077
• Destiny
• Dragon Age: Inquisition
• Dying Light
• The Elder Scrolls Online
• The Evil Within
• FIFA 14
• Final Fantasy XV
• Just Dance 2014
• Kingdom Hearts 3
• LEGO Marvel Superheroes
• Lords of the Fallen
• Mad Max
• Madden NFL 25
• Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
• Mirror's Edge
• NBA 2K14
• NBA Live 14
• Need for Speed: Rivals
• Rainbow 6: Patriots
• Shadow Warrior
• Skylanders: Swap Force
• Sniper Elite 3
• Star Wars: Battlefront
• Thief
• Tom Clancy's The Division
• Trials Fusion
• UFC
• Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
• Watch Dogs
• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
• Wolfenstein: The New Order

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »

I think you may have missed the point of the list. It's a visual way to see the amount of announced exclusives vs unannounced exclusives, and it most certainly wasn't trying to be a comprehensive list of releases. It's exactly what it says it is, which isn't disingenuous by any definition of the word.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2013, 04:19:17 PM »

Microsoft saw fools list and have responded

More Xbox One Exclusives to be revealed this year

Replying on Twitter to a fan enquiry about the possibility of more Xbox One exclusives being announced this year, Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer said, “Yea, we still have exclusives to reveal.”

So what are they going to be? Let’s speculate. It was widely believed that Lionhead would reveal its new Fable game at E3, rumoured to be an MMO of some kind. But that never happened.

Neither did Crackdown III, despite teases from the platform holder in the form of an orb at the console’s reveal. And we’d be surprised if a new Gears of War game wasn’t revealed at some point.

Gamescom in August
Tokyo Game Show in September

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2013, 04:20:10 PM »

damn TiLT, thanks for that graphic thumbsup  It reinforces my decision to go with the XB1 right away and wait for some PS4 exclusives to build up; if they can somehow get Second Son out on launch day then it might change things.

got kind of worried when I saw Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare listed as an exclusive, then I realized it was under the 'console exclusive' section.  I'm thinking PC for that one.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2013, 04:45:06 PM »

Likewise, there's going to be more stuff revealed for the PS4 at GamesCom and Tokyo Game Show. I don't think the exclusive war is over yet.

Not to mention, most games for both systems won't be there at release, or during 2013.

There's also well known Sony studios that have been silent so far, but have plenty of hints that they've been working on PS4 stuff for a while. So, August and September are going to be really interesting, especially so since MS has said they'll be there too.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2013, 04:49:32 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 01, 2013, 04:09:27 PM

I think you may have missed the point of the list. It's a visual way to see the amount of announced exclusives vs unannounced exclusives, and it most certainly wasn't trying to be a comprehensive list of releases. It's exactly what it says it is, which isn't disingenuous by any definition of the word.

I guess I find your list wanting because it seems to cherry-pick the PS4 side of things and has no mention of indie titles on either side.

Here's another parsing of the data:

Xbox launch titles

PS4 launch titles

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 01, 2013, 05:19:34 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 01, 2013, 04:49:32 PM

I guess I find your list wanting because it seems to cherry-pick the PS4 side of things and has no mention of indie titles on either side.

Just curious... you did notice that TiLT's list is only including things being published by Microsoft Studios or Sony Worldwide?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: July 01, 2013, 05:38:16 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 01, 2013, 05:19:34 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 01, 2013, 04:49:32 PM

Just curious... you did notice that TiLT's list is only including things being published by Microsoft Studios or Sony Worldwide?

If me mentioning it multiple times wasn't enough, you'd think at least the graphic also mentioning it would do the job. *shrug*

I guess I should have used bold, underscore and the blink tag.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 01, 2013, 07:15:23 PM »

I still think the Xbox is going to be the 'better' choice this gen.  Regardless of MS doing a really shitty job with their press management, I just think they have a better feeling of the 'pulse of the gamer' overall.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 01, 2013, 07:20:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 01, 2013, 07:15:23 PM

I still think the Xbox is going to be the 'better' choice this gen.  Regardless of MS doing a really shitty job with their press management, I just think they have a better feeling of the 'pulse of the gamer' overall.

Not sure how can you say that, when they keep trying to give gamers things they don't necessarily want (DRM, Kinect, TV-related stuff) while Sony seems to be focusing on...you know...games.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 01, 2013, 07:29:21 PM »

The only pulse they have is the North American gamer, and they even lost that this year.

What will be interesting is to see the Madden sales numbers per console. The legions of Madden Drones will pick one console over the other for reasons that usually go outside of hardcore gamer logic.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 01, 2013, 07:31:37 PM »

I really don't agree here.  I remember watching the feb PS4event and thinking holy crap Sony gets it .  Conversely  everything MS has done lately shows that they have lost a bit of touch.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: July 01, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »

I still think the Xbox is going to be the 'better' choice this gen.  Regardless of MS doing a really shitty job with their press management, I just think they have a better feeling of the 'pulse of the gamer' overall.

Only a very particular kind of gamer, specifically the kind that prefers shooters over any other game genre. Microsoft is very focused on the lowest common denominator in the US market, and while that has been a tremendous success for them with the 360, it doesn't look like it's working for them this time around. At least they're trying to diversify, if ever so slightly. Project Spark is something I would never have expected Microsoft to announce if you had asked me one month ago.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: July 01, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »

Shooters and Racers.

Although since they said they'll be at TGS, I think MS will do like they did this generation and money hat a bunch of devs to make JRPGs for the 360, at least, they'll try to. But it's not so easy this time when the PS4 is an actual competitor at that point.

But, at this point, Sony's trying to get the same crowd what with all the shooters it has.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 02, 2013, 12:28:27 AM »

I enjoy shooters and racers the most.  Not sure how you think my opinion is any less valid than yours.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 02, 2013, 01:43:01 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 02, 2013, 12:28:27 AM

I enjoy shooters and racers the most.  Not sure how you think my opinion is any less valid than yours.
Oh you just wait until they announce Smite for PS4.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: July 02, 2013, 02:10:05 AM »

I love shooters, I don't play racers but I appreciate them for their focus. The last racer I played was Motorstorm, very arcadey, but I love the attention to detail in other realistic driving games.

They key is that, there's perhaps way too many of them that even I have been suffering from shooter genre fatigue. Unless it's got a great story, I'm less and less inclined to give shooters a chance, as such the 360 last gen was a bit lacking save for some good JRPGs they snagged early through development deals.

So yes, my opinion is more valid than yours, for myself. But a lot of people have echoed this sentiment regardless of what consoles hosts these shooters and racers.

As for Smite, now that is a MOBA that is definitely coming to consoles at some point. It's 3rd person shooter-like controls would work with a controller. Doesn't matter on which console it goes to, they would be fools to not make a port.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: July 02, 2013, 04:26:23 AM »

Who said anything about the validity of opinions?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: July 02, 2013, 04:30:24 AM »

2 FPS ( halo, Titan fall).
2 Racing games (LocoCycle, Forza 5)
5 Third-person shooters (DR3, Insomniacs' Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, D4)
1 On-Rails shooter (a rare breed indeed - Crimson Dragon, from the makers of Panzer Dragoon Orta).

22 games, only 10 counted for in anything labelled a "shooter" in the console/next-gen exclusive category, and only two of those being what is generally labelled as a the traditionally over-saturated shooter category (FPS), and one of the racing games is more like Road Rash than racing.

4 FPS ( Killzone, Blacklight, Planetside 2, Primal Carnage).
1 Racing games (DriveClub)
3 Third-person shooters (Warframe, The Order, Second Son)

PS4 has 9 of the same kind. If one looks at apples-to apples (aka big-budget to big budget) there isn't much difference.

Take that one step further and looking at the next-gen cross-platform games, and you'll see that if there is an overused category, it's the Survival/horror genre. Zombies, regardless of platform, are *so* 2011.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2013, 06:11:00 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 02, 2013, 04:26:23 AM

Who said anything about the validity of opinions?

You need to ramp it up a bit - there isn't enough console wars in your statements, so people have to LOOK for it ;-)

Anyways - I'll still be getting a Ps4 it seems, but like I suspect Hark is doing as well, its mainly because of brand loyalty - I like my PS3 a lot, and my Xbox less so I'm going to support the one that makes the most sense to me.

Is there any word on if the Division will be a launch title? I want that game so badly!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 02, 2013, 06:43:58 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 02, 2013, 06:11:00 AM

Is there any word on if the Division will be a launch title? I want that game so badly!

I think that is a 2014 title.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 02, 2013, 06:48:13 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 02, 2013, 06:43:58 AM

Quote from: Razgon on July 02, 2013, 06:11:00 AM

I think that is a 2014 title.

Bummer! Oh well, perhaps I can persuade myself to hold back on purchasing the ps4 then until then - makes it even cheaper! How long does it usually take before a second generation of consoles to come out? As in, getting rid of all the small initial problems that first generation always has?

A new one
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2013, 09:29:53 AM »

The types of games that I want to see are the Dragon Dogma and Dark Souls types,  single player character builder games with little to no PvP shooty in the face stuff.  I'm sure I'll get The Division, Titanfall and the other AAA shooter titles (first or third person view won't matter too much) but I'd like to see more of Deep Down that Sony showed off back in April.  Not sure about COD as I also would like to see a return to simpler gameplay such as WWII or even WWI.

While typing this up I had an idea for a game I'd like to see.  WWII submarine game using the Kinect to control the boat via voice and motion controls.  I see this as a slower paced game that might work better than Steel Battalion ever could.  You could toss the Kinect out and make use of the controller but a sub sim would be nice to see on next gen consoles.

Still stupid enough to have both on pre-order and no plans to resale one of them,  I'd say based on the current crop of exclusives and forced to only have one console I'd pick the Wii-U......haha kidding, I'd go XBone.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2013, 12:33:50 PM »

Welp

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/e256-why-ps4-is-your-next-console-and-the-titanic-errors-on-xbox-ones-road-to-ruin/
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: July 02, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »

Ouch.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 02, 2013, 12:49:21 PM »

Who the fuck is Edge and why should I care?  Just saying

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 02, 2013, 12:49:21 PM

Edge is, as you can see if you follow the link, a UK based magazine of some renown. You should care because you are in the Next Gen purchase poll thread and its being discussed here, thus what a knowledgeable magazine has to say about that specifically, should be of interest to you.

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »

I always get Edge magazine mixed up with GAMES™ magazine

FWIW though,their headline is spot on Tongue

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 02, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »

Do you remember Next Generation?   Edge and Next-Gen were affiliates and shared editorial content, , Next-Gen sort of being the US version of Edge. Next-Gen eventually went under while Edge has survived to this day.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on July 02, 2013, 01:26:11 PM

Do you remember Next Generation?   Edge and Next-Gen were affiliates and shared editorial content, , Next-Gen sort of being the US version of Edge. Next-Gen eventually went under while Edge has survived to this day.

Ahh, okay 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 02, 2013, 01:43:25 PM »

If any of you folks pick up the magazine, I'm curious to see how they talk about the ways Microsoft backpedaled due to the outrage. The cover sensationalism seems more appropriate for the period immediately after E3, less so after the MS stance changes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: