http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 07:46:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you pre-ordered a next gen console?
Yes, a PS4. - 39 (34.8%)
Yes, an Xbox One. - 5 (4.5%)
Yes, both. - 20 (17.9%)
No I'm going to wait for a while. - 23 (20.5%)
I don't plan on pre-ordering. - 25 (22.3%)
Total Voters: 112

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next gen purchase poll  (Read 6083 times)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 19, 2013, 06:36:16 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on June 19, 2013, 05:38:08 AM

Quote from: Purge on June 19, 2013, 04:58:42 AM

It's kinda the last thing I have to say on this (in this thread).

THANK YOU

Praise Jebus.

Look as a former MSFT employee via acquisition (from their first OMG CLOUD acquisition no less, in 2005), to a MSFT shareholder, to a veteran of the motherfucking modern intranets... I know my shit.  My job is bridging the gap between actual tech and the world who thinks they know tech.  I'm paid handsomely to bridge this gap.  Clearly the guy bridging your gap should be paid more since he has you super convinced.  Kudos to him.

OUCH. I'll step in here in Purge's defense. The truth is we don't know exactly how the "cloud" will affect the Xbox One. The console isn't even out yet. So saying that it will do nothing more than Sony's current PS3 cloud is a bit premature, and I don't care how much you know about this technology, unless you work for the Microsoft team that is actually developing the technology then you don't know what they are planning or are capable of.

If they are capable of doing what Purge thinks then this could be a very cool thing.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2013, 11:25:07 AM »

Hate to pull directly from GAF, but here's a relevant post:

How would AI and physics unloading work practically anyway?

Say that there are five million users that will be using data from the cloud. Every cloud server has 10x the oomph of the Xbox one. Let's day that each server runs at $1000. That is five billion dollars that needs to be pulled on from somewhere. Say that each server uses a 700w power supply and that the load due to the global audience of the Xbox will be roughly even over the day (practically there will be local servers and such, but never mind that now). Counting cooling at a factor two (that we assume is running at max) we arrive at 126 GWh a day and 12cent per kWh that is 15 million per day on electricity costs. Or $20 a month per currently paying gold subscribers.

Fast and very very dirty, so my apologies for all of the errors.

This is why the cloud is bullshit in this context. That's not how "the cloud" works, well at least it won't work for things like physics that rely on very low latency. The cloud can be used to parallelize a large compute task across 100 or 1000s of machines. If there are millions of people playing a game simultaneously it's ridiculous to assume that any meaningful sort of processing the local machine's CPU/GPU could do would be magically offloaded to the cloud.

The cloud thing would work if, say, you had a massively multiplayer game where 1000s of users are somehow altering the environment and those changes are constantly streamed to the cloud for calculations to reflect those changes across all users. Things like that which can be queued up and batch calculated work fine and will scale even under peak usage. If you think the cloud will get you better graphics or physics you're dead wrong. That's OnLive territory and that sort of experience is sub-optimal, to put it lightly.

Source: I'm on a team that is building a giant private cloud infrastructure.

A technical answer dumbed down for us types that aren't actually working with real cloud based systems.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2013, 01:48:55 AM »

Just put in a pre-order for a PS4 with Watch Dogs on launch day, whenever that is.

bring on the new games. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2013, 03:53:42 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on June 15, 2013, 03:22:33 PM

I decided to ask around at the various stores and nobody has ever heard of a way to use mouse/keyboard on consoles.... icon_frown
But, then I decided to do something that I probably should have done a long time ago... GoogleFu!
Turns out that there ARE ways to do this... more than one in fact... I decided on this one:
http://store.xim3.com/XIM-EDGE_p_12.html
Seems to get the best reviews. Ordered it today. Will let everyone know my experiences once I try it out... oh and it works for 360 AND PS3!!!
So I finally got my Xim edge in. Unfortunately, my existing Mouse/Keyboard wasn't compatible, so I had to hit the store today to get new ones...
This thing seems to work for the most part. I really got it for State of Decay, but unfortunately that game isn't supported.(seems the game needs to support controller sensitivity adjustments to really work with Xim. Supposedly, next update to the game will add this..)
I did DL COD:MW3 to try it. I've never been good at all with FPS's and a controller. I usually did less shooting and more running...
This time was different! I actually enjoyed shooting with this.. I do need to tweak it a little more to get it just right for me, but I already found it 10 times easier to play with and ran through most of the demo just fine..
Glad I decided to pick this up... Gonna have to try it with one of the Halos next I think...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2013, 12:55:09 AM »

So....ummm....yeah.....I just preordered a Xbox One on Amazon.  Just found out that I will have a bit of extra money later this year, so now that the DRM is gone, why not?

I only will be getting Dead Rising 3 at launch, I believe. The multipat games like Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs and Assassins Creed 4, will be purchased on the PS4.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2013, 01:36:15 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on June 25, 2013, 12:55:09 AM

So....ummm....yeah.....I just preordered a Xbox One on Amazon.  Just found out that I will have a bit of extra money later this year, so now that the DRM is gone, why not?

I only will be getting Dead Rising 3 at launch, I believe. The multipat games like Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs and Assassins Creed 4, will be purchased on the PS4.

I'm trying to raise money to get both myself.   I have to admit that I like Xbox One's simple design (physical design).
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2013, 02:05:37 PM »

Probably will be reselling my PS4 when it hits and keeping the XB1

-edit There's a profit to be made in reselling these systems

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on June 25, 2013, 02:05:37 PM

Honestly, if you are going to sell one to make a profit....I'd sell the XB1. Sounds like there are going to be more supply issues with that than the PS4....so it's likely to command quite a bit more money.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »

Although I don't post here very much any more, a lot of the people on my XBox friends list are from this forum.  The most important factor on which new console to get is what most of the people I play with are getting. 

I have preordered both consoles just because why not.  I can always cancel, or put an extra console on eBay.  I am leaning towards keeping the XBone however.  As I mentioned, most of my friends are currently on XBox.  I like XBox Live and don't mind paying for it.  Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 are also two exclusives that mean a lot to me.  I like the XBox controller better, and even if the next dual shock is a better controller, I don't like that the buttons are marked with shapes that don't come on a standard keyboard.

I don't much care for Microsoft.  I think their customer services is beyond awful.  I don't much care for Kinect.  I don't need it and I think that it will force developers to use it, even when it doesn't make gameplay sense.  The price difference isn't a factor.  $100 amortized over the life of the console is negligible.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »

Another glowing hands on of the new PS4 controller.
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/side-by-side-ps4-gamepad-vs-ps3-gamepad-1161094?src=rss&attr=all
Seriously people stop comparing 360 to Ps3 controller, XB1 and PS4 are a new ballgame.

Both controllers
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »

I sure hope you can turn down the brightness on the PS4 controller glow.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »

I went with "I'm going to wait for a while."  Not because I am torn between consoles or their price points, but because during my first year of pharmacy school I turned on my 360 during the first week of orientation, and then not really again until June.  There's little reason for me to enter into the fray right now, which will allow me to sit back and see what the consensus will be once both consoles are released.  This is certainly not by choice, but being that I haven't even bothered to play my 360 this summer when I actually do have time, I'll at least be able to live vicariously through my brother-in-law whenever I have a moment to visit home for a weekend.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 25, 2013, 04:01:45 PM

I went with "I'm going to say I'm going to wait for a while and then cave when the consoles release because I will not be able to resist peer pressure and forum excitement."

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on June 25, 2013, 03:31:00 PM

Honestly, if you are going to sell one to make a profit....I'd sell the XB1. Sounds like there are going to be more supply issues with that than the PS4....so it's likely to command quite a bit more money.

so your advice is to sell the one know one seems to want? slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 25, 2013, 07:46:02 PM

Quote from: Hetz on June 25, 2013, 03:31:00 PM

so your advice is to sell the one know one seems to want? slywink

Oh, lots of people want it. It's just that even with low amounts of preorders, stores are still running out of stock due to the low yields for the Xbox One. Especially with this weekend's unlimited preorder stock for the PS4 at Gamestop, even large amounts of PS4 preorders might not empty the available stock. Then again, Sony has publicly stated that they expect the PS4 to sell out in the early months.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2013, 10:12:56 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 25, 2013, 03:44:41 PM

Another glowing hands on of the new PS4 controller.
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/side-by-side-ps4-gamepad-vs-ps3-gamepad-1161094?src=rss&attr=all
Seriously people stop comparing 360 to Ps3 controller, XB1 and PS4 are a new ballgame.

Both controllers

I think this is the photo that you need to show. Unless it's an optical illusion, they look totally different in terms of size at least. The people with big hands who often complain about the dualshock might not mind it this time.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2013, 10:58:15 PM »

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2013, 12:28:46 AM »

Another thing is that the analog sticks are shorter, meaning the tips of them traverse less overall. Some have problems with their grip when they put their knuckles on the sticks on the DS3 instead of the tip of the thumb. This should lead to less thumb collisions, as well as the overall ergonomics promoting a better grip on the controller.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2013, 05:55:26 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 25, 2013, 10:12:56 PM

I think this is the photo that you need to show. Unless it's an optical illusion, they look totally different in terms of size at least.

this may be a slightly better pic for you with regards to size

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 25, 2013, 10:58:15 PM

middle age fattening?  good example of the changes.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »

Here's a larger res version of the PS3/PS4 side-by-side:

People may still have some problems adjusting to not having offset analog sticks but I don't think there could be any complaints about the size this time around. It looks bigger than the Xbone controller!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »

I love my 360 controller,i love the offset sticks,and admittedly this gen i have just not gelled with the PS3 at all..just look at my Trophy list below for proof of that

but playing Final Fantasy 14 last weekend it was the first time i really settled down with a game and the controller for a long time on the PS3,and the controller was fine,sure i would prefer offset sticks,but i am fine as it is,and the PS4 controller has the sticks further away from each other which may help my gigantic hands...the triggers for me are the real concern on the PS3 controller(and always have been for me) but it looks like they are a lot better on the PS4

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2013, 01:30:38 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 26, 2013, 05:55:26 AM

I think this is the photo that you need to show. Unless it's an optical illusion, they look totally different in terms of size at least.

You realize that's the same picture I posted just turned sideways right?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2013, 01:39:03 PM »

To be honest, I don't think either of your pics is as useful for comparison as this one I found:

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2013, 01:47:11 PM »

thats the exact same picture i posted but rotated Tongue

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2013, 01:49:22 PM »

Just need someone to post the remaining way up

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2013, 01:56:35 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 26, 2013, 01:47:11 PM

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2013, 01:57:18 PM »

Booo-urns!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2013, 02:00:05 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 26, 2013, 01:56:35 PM

sorry,that was my joke as well,i was trying to continue it ..maybe i should of typed exactly what forgeforsaken wrote when telling me "You realize that's the same picture I posted just turned sideways right?"

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2013, 02:03:41 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 26, 2013, 02:00:05 PM

Yes.  That would have been much funnier.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 26, 2013, 02:03:41 PM

icon_lol

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2013, 03:04:37 PM »

The 360 controller has been one of my all time favorites in terms of comfort, especially for marathon stretches of gaming.  It's not the offset sticks that make the 360 controller my favorite of this generation, it's the space between the right stick and the face buttons.  My thumb cramps quickly due to the short distance between the right stick and face buttons of the ps3.  I have to lay my right thumb flat over the face buttons rather than arch it during longer play sessions.  I've never had that problem on the 360 controller. 

The ps4 controller looks bigger, which makes me optimistic that it will be a better fit for my hands.       
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 26, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 26, 2013, 03:04:37 PM

The 360 controller has been one of my all time favorites in terms of comfort, especially for marathon stretches of gaming.  It's not the offset sticks that make the 360 controller my favorite of this generation, it's the space between the right stick and the face buttons.  My thumb cramps quickly due to the short distance between the right stick and face buttons of the ps3.  I have to lay my right thumb flat over the face buttons rather than arch it during longer play sessions.  I've never had that problem on the 360 controller. 

The ps4 controller looks bigger, which makes me optimistic that it will be a better fit for my hands.       

I don't think I am entirely sure i understand what you mean(i have the 2 controllers in my hand trying to figure it out,LOL)do you not rest your right thumb on the right analogue stick(for either controller that is) while playing games?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 26, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 26, 2013, 01:56:35 PM

rotate please Tongue

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 26, 2013, 11:29:18 AM

People may still have some problems adjusting to not having offset analog sticks but I don't think there could be any complaints about the size this time around. It looks bigger than the Xbone controller!

hopefully the extra pad adds more weight to it too.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 26, 2013, 03:37:09 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 26, 2013, 01:30:38 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 26, 2013, 05:55:26 AM

You realize that's the same picture I posted just turned sideways right?

maybe if you mirror image it...

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 26, 2013, 02:03:41 PM

LOL!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 26, 2013, 03:36:05 PM

thumbsup

still feels like a Fisher Price controller compared to the 360(especially before the DS3 was released and it was just a sixaxis)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2013, 03:40:06 PM »

wait.. MS Paint doesn't let you invert colors anymore?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 26, 2013, 03:38:39 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 26, 2013, 03:36:05 PM

thumbsup

still feels like a Fisher Price controller compared to the 360(especially before the DS3 was released and it was just a sixaxis)

yep.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: