http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 06:26:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you pre-ordered a next gen console?
Yes, a PS4. - 39 (34.8%)
Yes, an Xbox One. - 5 (4.5%)
Yes, both. - 20 (17.9%)
No I'm going to wait for a while. - 23 (20.5%)
I don't plan on pre-ordering. - 25 (22.3%)
Total Voters: 112

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next gen purchase poll  (Read 8494 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 15, 2013, 05:56:59 PM

OK, so that was kinda mean.  Sorry Ms, hug?

icon_lol
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 15, 2013, 01:31:21 PM

I really want to get excited about the Xbone.   I was ultra excited about the 360 when it launched.   I stood outside in 33 degree rain overnight at a Best Buy and came up 3 places short in line to get one.   I then spent the next month on a holy crusade to get one.   

I STUMBLED across a PS3 while looking for it, so I ended up with both consoles.   

I REALLY REALLY want to develop a reason to keep my preorder for the Xbone for this fall.   Hark has given me one reason because when I'm playing multiplayer on the 360 it's usually with him and his merry band of snipers.    However, I'm still waivering because Microsoft has given me plenty of reasons to get angry at what they are trying to feed me, and not enough reasons to think this system is anywhere close to what the 360 was when it launched.

I have to say that I am still sitting on both launch day preorders but I'm extraordinarily torn.

Maybe this perspective from an xBone engineer will help:

The thing is we suck at telling the story. The whole point of the DRM switch from disc based to cloud based is to kill disc swapping, scratched discs, bringing discs to friends house, trade-ins for shit value with nothign going back to developers, and high game costs....

...Google TV + PS4 + Minority report level gestures, that combined with a sick second screen experience (which is really hot for TV, I know I know.. tv tv tv tv tvÖ but itís fucking sick when you have it). Games will be the same, there are more exclusives to MS then PS atm, and Kinect 2 makes Kinect 1 look like a childs toy...

...Current plan is basically youíre fucked after 24 hours. YeahÖ I know. Kind of sucks. I believe they will probably revist the time period and / or find a diff way to ďcall inĒ to ensure you havenít sold your license to gamestop or somethingÖ but there is no plan YET. Iím hoping the change it, but I donít work on that so I donít have much influence there /sigh...

...THe original intention was to get all the Multiplayer servers not requiring 3rd party costs (Like EA shutting down game servers to cut costs), as well as taking all the games that servers hosted by the clients (Halo, etc), and have all that compute done in the cloud allowing more CPU cycles for gameplay. That will really expand what developers can do. Anything that doesnít need per frame calculation and can handle 100ms delays can be shifted to the cloud. Thatís huge....

...SmartGlass + IE is going to be pretty freaking sweet. 1 finger cursor, 2 finger direct manip. Basically if you think of a laptop trackpad where your phone/ slate is the trackpad and the monitor is your TVÖ itís that. The tech is there, just needs to be applied. There is some really cool shit going on with Petra + controllers that pairs people with controllers. So if person with controller two trades controlers with controller 1, their profiles magically switch. Itís sick. What does this matter? Now if you lean left/right it knows which person is leaning, even if 4 people are all int he same room. Itís awesome...

...New service using Azure for cloud compute. Allows developers to not use clients for hosting multiplayer servers, or other tasks that do not require per frame calcuations. Itís pretty sweet.

It at least sounds better that way than the PR flak idiots.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »

The thing is we suck at telling the story. The whole point of the DRM switch from disc based to cloud based is to kill disc swapping, scratched discs, bringing discs to friends house, trade-ins for shit value with nothign going back to developers, and high game costs....

High game costs my ass! Xbox One games cost $60, which is also the upper price level for PS4 games. This quote is filled with misdirection and lies. They do indeed suck at telling the story, because the way they told it made it very easy to see the truth behind their words, and I'm not just talking about price here. What this guy is saying is "we should have done a better job of making you not notice the bad stuff we're throwing your way".

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2013, 10:25:37 PM »

I have to admit that the Kinect Minority Report possibilities are appealing.    It's one of the parts of the package that has me curious.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2013, 12:09:57 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 15, 2013, 10:25:37 PM

I have to admit that the Kinect Minority Report possibilities are appealing.    It's one of the parts of the package that has me curious.

To be fair though, they said the exact same thing about the original Kinect though before it came out......and we all know how that turned out. I would love for the new Kinect to actually be something special, but color me highly skeptical at this point, given all the BS they seem to be spewing about the XB1 in general and the original Kinects track record.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2013, 02:30:59 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on June 16, 2013, 12:09:57 AM

I have to admit that the Kinect Minority Report possibilities are appealing.    It's one of the parts of the package that has me curious.

To be fair though, they said the exact same thing about the original Kinect though before it came out......and we all know how that turned out. I would love for the new Kinect to actually be something special, but color me highly skeptical at this point, given all the BS they seem to be spewing about the XB1 in general and the original Kinects track record.

But we were saying that about the first Kinect E3 announcement, where what was described seems to be on par (or even below) what the new Kinect seems capable of.  It all fell to shit during the pre-launch E3 after they'd neutered the hell out of the thing.

They should never have released that first version.  Imagine if our first glimpse of Kinect was this new version, and we hadn't already been let down by its baby brother.  I think folks'd be getting pretty excited for it, actually.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »

The amount of negativity and vitriol in these new console threads is so discouraging and off putting.  One fact that all the expert Gamestop genius employees that get quoted all the time seem to miss in the PS4 vs XB1 Pre-order war is that what I buy won't cost anyone else a red cent.  That's right whatever I choose will incur no cost or obligation to others, so why try to make a big issue about which one is best when we won't see either one for 5 months at least? 

I guess it is fortunate that consoles only get updated every 7 years, this is ridiculous to follow.  Gaming Trend doesn't seem to have a younger audience so I will assume that the users here can be relied upon to make their own decisions in regards to their own monies and desires.  I see no need to descend into mudslinging just because you don't like someone elses choices. 

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on June 16, 2013, 09:26:10 AM

The amount of negativity and vitriol in these new console threads is so discouraging and off putting.  One fact that all the expert Gamestop genius employees that get quoted all the time seem to miss in the PS4 vs XB1 Pre-order war is that what I buy won't cost anyone else a red cent.  That's right whatever I choose will incur no cost or obligation to others, so why try to make a big issue about which one is best when we won't see either one for 5 months at least? 

I guess it is fortunate that consoles only get updated every 7 years, this is ridiculous to follow.  Gaming Trend doesn't seem to have a younger audience so I will assume that the users here can be relied upon to make their own decisions in regards to their own monies and desires.  I see no need to descend into mudslinging just because you don't like someone elses choices.
people here don't like some folks choices because they enjoy playing online with them and want to be able to continue to do so without compromising their own choice,  thus we see some ribbing.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »

I dont' mind anyone else's choices, they can play whatever they want with whoever they want to.   ninja  If I cared that much I'd try harder to get people to play Smite since that's all I've been playing for the last month and a half  icon_twisted
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2013, 01:33:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 15, 2013, 05:55:05 PM

Quote from: msduncan on June 15, 2013, 05:50:40 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 15, 2013, 05:31:26 PM

Quote from: msduncan on June 15, 2013, 05:18:34 PM

You are the 2013 Hetz.

(no offense to Hetz)

no, you're the 2013 Hetz.

(I'm sorry Hetz)

Hey, I know a Hetz when I see one.

(sorry Hetz)

and I know an Auburn loving Hetz when I see one.

(apologies Hetz)

I know a crazy, post addicted, reverse Hetz when I see one. (Sorry Hetz, at least I didn't call you crazy or post addicted).

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2013, 01:41:45 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 16, 2013, 02:30:59 AM

I have to admit that the Kinect Minority Report possibilities are appealing.    It's one of the parts of the package that has me curious.

But we were saying that about the first Kinect E3 announcement, where what was described seems to be on par (or even below) what the new Kinect seems capable of.  It all fell to shit during the pre-launch E3 after they'd neutered the hell out of the thing.

They should never have released that first version.  Imagine if our first glimpse of Kinect was this new version, and we hadn't already been let down by its baby brother.  I think folks'd be getting pretty excited for it, actually.

I have absolutely no interest in the Kinect or the new PS Eye (Whatever they are going to call it). So Sony's decision to leave it out of the base unit is a good one to me, I bet it was the final thing they needed to get the system in at $399. I'll take $399 over $450 any day, and I'll buy the camera eventually if I feel like I want some games that support it. It's all about choice.

Also, kinect 2.0 or no there is no way to make games like Star Wars Kinect any better than the total P.O.S. that it is. There are exactly two types of games that I prefer motion controls for, Golf and Light Gun Shooters, and when I want to play Tiger Woods 20XX then I will think about getting the kinect or eye.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2013, 02:08:27 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 16, 2013, 01:41:45 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 16, 2013, 02:30:59 AM

I have absolutely no interest in the Kinect or the new PS Eye (Whatever they are going to call it). So Sony's decision to leave it out of the base unit is a good one to me, I bet it was the final thing they needed to get the system in at $399. I'll take $399 over $450 any day, and I'll buy the camera eventually if I feel like I want some games that support it. It's all about choice.

Also, kinect 2.0 or no there is no way to make games like Star Wars Kinect any better than the total P.O.S. that it is. There are exactly two types of games that I prefer motion controls for, Golf and Light Gun Shooters, and when I want to play Tiger Woods 20XX then I will think about getting the kinect or eye.

But part of the reason we got a bunch of crap for the Kinect was that was all that worked on the shitty device.  Not to say we wouldn't have gotten some crap anyway, but if it worked like it was supposed to, something like Steel Battalion might have been really great, which might have led to other cool games, too.  If it had been innovative and exciting, it might have inspired game makers. 

Unfortunately, now, even if the new Kinect is what it should have been in the first place, it's certainly not as exciting as it might have been and the shine is off the innovation, too.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2013, 02:12:39 PM »

1.  People try to get their buddies (online or real) to buy the same console so that they can play multiplayer together.
2.  People try to boost the console of their liking up so that they are healthy platforms and get the good exclusives
3.  Microsoft has the PR (rightly or wrongly) that they betrayed their loyal fans by coming out with all this DRM, online, used-game-restrictive-friendly crap.    These are the same fans that abandoned Sony in favor of Microsoft because they seemed more in tune with the gamer (and more consumer friendly) than Sony.    This PR disaster that is Microsoft this time around totally betrayed the very thing that made the 360 successful.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2013, 02:21:17 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 16, 2013, 02:12:39 PM

1.  People try to get their buddies (online or real) to buy the same console so that they can play multiplayer together.
2.  People try to boost the console of their liking up so that they are healthy platforms and get the good exclusives
3.  Microsoft has the PR (rightly or wrongly) that they betrayed their loyal fans by coming out with all this DRM, online, used-game-restrictive-friendly crap.    These are the same fans that abandoned Sony in favor of Microsoft because they seemed more in tune with the gamer (and more consumer friendly) than Sony.    This PR disaster that is Microsoft this time around totally betrayed the very thing that made the 360 successful.

Yeah, I have to say, people are upset, so it's understandable if their ire is up.

OTOH, I haven't seen a lot of people genuinely attacking others on this forum for their opinions or purchasing decisions.  Some joking, sure, but not to the level you're complaining about, Zinfan.

Even TiLT, who should be strutting around like the cock of the walk and ending every post with "I told you so" has been surprisingly rational.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 16, 2013, 02:21:17 PM

Even TiLT, who should be strutting around like the cock of the walk and ending every post with "I told you so" has been surprisingly rational.

I'm saving my "I told you so" for the Ouya. slywink

Honestly though, I didn't expect Microsoft to fuck up this badly. I was as surprised as anyone. When I tuned in for their press conferences (both the early one and the one at E3) I expected them to pull some awesome trump card out of their hat, but they didn't. Saying "I told you so" would have been silly, because I honestly had no idea how bad it would be.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 16, 2013, 12:26:30 PM

If I cared that much I'd try harder to get people to play Smite since that's all I've been playing for the last month and a half  icon_twisted

what about all those dead squirrels nailed to doors with the note 'play Smite or else' dangling from them?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »

Bullwinkle just hit on something and it came on like a light bulb.

The last generation launch had a bunch of fanbois insulting each other, fighting tooth and nail, being completely irrational just to defend their chosen system, etc.

This time around it's almost universal disdain for Microsoft.   Even the people planning to still purchase the Xbone are doing so in a passive way (ie saying "I understand why you guys are buying the PS4, but I'm sticking with Microsoft").

This can't be a good sign for Xbone.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2013, 04:14:22 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 15, 2013, 06:14:21 PM

And we all agree that Super Mario Sunshine never happened.

I'd go as far as saying it was a forgettable Mario game. Both of my kids loved it though, so I still have a copy somewhere in storage.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2013, 04:22:18 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 16, 2013, 04:14:22 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on June 15, 2013, 06:14:21 PM

And we all agree that [REDACTED] never happened.

I'd go as far as saying [REDACTED]. Both of my kids loved it though, so I [REDACTED].

Hmm...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 16, 2013, 01:33:45 PM

You are the 2013 Hetz.

(no offense to Hetz)

(I'm sorry Hetz)

(sorry Hetz)

(apologies Hetz)

I know a crazy, post addicted, reverse Hetz when I see one. (Sorry Hetz, at least I didn't call you crazy or post addicted).

Amateurs, all of you! slywink

I don't know if anyone will top my epic flameout back in 2007...but to be fair you don't have Kobra or jblank here anymore (I don't think)....and that really helped me along with my decent into madness.....  icon_twisted

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on June 16, 2013, 06:44:40 PM

Quote from: Scraper on June 16, 2013, 01:33:45 PM

You are the 2013 Hetz.

(no offense to Hetz)

(I'm sorry Hetz)

(sorry Hetz)

(apologies Hetz)

Amateurs, all of you! slywink

I don't know if anyone will top my epic flameout back in 2007...but to be fair you don't have Kobra or jblank here anymore (I don't think)....and that really helped me along with my decent into madness.....  icon_twisted

yeah, unlike Hetz I only have one garage!

* CeeKay ducks

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »

I agree. I enjoy reading about the new Xbox and Playstation, but now I avoid GT and don't feel like visiting here anymore

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »

You don't visit Gt'rs in games any more either!  ninja
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 16, 2013, 08:22:09 PM

You don't visit Gt'rs in games any more either!  ninja

I haven't been, either.  crybaby

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2013, 10:26:25 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 16, 2013, 08:10:14 PM

I agree. I enjoy reading about the new Xbox and Playstation, but now I avoid GT and don't feel like visiting here anymore

lol
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2013, 12:30:37 AM »

This guy gets it: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-every-game-company-gets-wrong-about-gamers/
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2013, 12:48:16 AM »

The internets love a good pile-on.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2013, 12:50:19 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 16, 2013, 03:47:39 PM

Bullwinkle just hit on something and it came on like a light bulb.

The last generation launch had a bunch of fanbois insulting each other, fighting tooth and nail, being completely irrational just to defend their chosen system, etc.

This time around it's almost universal disdain for Microsoft.   Even the people planning to still purchase the Xbone are doing so in a passive way (ie saying "I understand why you guys are buying the PS4, but I'm sticking with Microsoft").

This can't be a good sign for Xbone.
I dunno... between the $599 price tag, the giant enemy crabs, "RIIIIDGE RACER" and the boomerang controller, Sony pretty much stunk the place up and had a similar reaction from gamers at the PS3 reveal.  It just wasn't as amplified back then - we're far more connected now with social media and whatnot.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2013, 01:19:45 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 17, 2013, 12:30:37 AM

Wow.  That article is brilliant.    I wish the console manufacturers would read it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2013, 03:16:56 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on June 14, 2013, 05:15:55 PM

Oh yeah, and Ryse looks cool....but I just read today on NeoGaf that those QTE's that popup whenever you attack someone....complete themselves, cause the devs say "they don't want anyone to be frustrated".  So it doesn't really matter if you hit the buttons or not, you will still kill the guy you are fighting. icon_lol

Also, Deep Down looks F'ing incredible!!!

The QT events are executions, and you're supposed to complete them before the Y or X even show up. The better the flow, the better the reward.

Read Sean's (Ridah's) article on the front-page to get an idea of how much it swayed him.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2013, 03:53:55 AM »

Here's the point missed: because every single console will have Kinect 2, developers can COUNT on it and not alienate their gaming audience.

Think about that for a moment.

What was wrong with the Eye Toy, or the Motion+ controller on the Wii, or even the PS Move? Fragmented market means little gain for developers to put aside critical time to develop for these enhanced controls, and even then, they pretty much had to be "optional."

Developers are creating games which can utilize the cloud computing (which is pretty frickin' sweet, and I'll tell you why later), knowing that their audience has internet connectivity, PLUS they all have Kinect. Dragon shouts and inventory swaps on Kinect 1 with Skyrim was about the best "hardcore" game experience enhancement - but it was optional. Now that they can rely on it, they can use it for games as a requirement.

In one of the behind-closed-doors sessions, both Ron and I got to see the tech demos for Kinect integrated controls and cloud gaming enhancements. One of the things that they highlighted was that the human spine now acts as the third joystick. Leaning in any direction can now be read as part of the game controls. That is pretty huge, though the tech visuals were clearly just for illustration.

Consider the idea of a game like gears. Should the developers choose to enhance the controls with Kinect, they could do something like this:

While running full tilt at a wall, by moving your controller down, you'd dive and slide to take cover, but if you held your controller up, you'd vault over the half-wall, continuing your charge without interruption. Leaning would also make more sense, and since the fidelity is much higher (even in dark rooms - the Fantasia demo showed that off nicely), it doesn't need to be overly exaggerated movements.

Titanfall will likely leverage cloud gaming - I wouldn't hold my breath on PS4 - as well as with DR3. It'll be interesting to see how things develop on those titles.

Frankly, I think MS should push their 24hour time to 72 hours (so you can game for the weekend sans internet, even if you did just trade in your game to gamestop), and the 1 hour live check-in for remote access sounds reasonable.

FWIW, I will own both consoles, though Second Son is the only game which sells me on the PS4 (in the exclusive category) at the moment. Last of Us is a PS3 title (and out now, IIRC). I can wait for more exclusives - in the meantime there is a lot to be excited about for both consoles.

I wonder how the new PSN+ pay-to-play is going to work. Has that been explained? I've been a little busy over the last week.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2013, 04:01:13 AM »

Quote from: Purge on June 17, 2013, 03:53:55 AM

One of the things that they highlighted was that the human spine now acts as the third joystick. Leaning in any direction can now be read as part of the game controls. That is pretty huge, though the tech visuals were clearly just for illustration.

Consider the idea of a game like gears. Should the developers choose to enhance the controls with Kinect, they could do something like this:

While running full tilt at a wall, by moving your controller down, you'd dive and slide to take cover, but if you held your controller up, you'd vault over the half-wall, continuing your charge without interruption. Leaning would also make more sense, and since the fidelity is much higher (even in dark rooms - the Fantasia demo showed that off nicely), it doesn't need to be overly exaggerated movements.

So you're the second person I've seen tout this... but I cannot for the life of me figure out why I'd want it.  The controller works fine.

Literally the only thing I can see benefit with the Kinect is eye tracking for hardcore racing/flight sims, none of which actually exist on consoles anyway.  And even if they did I'd still need a wheel or a flight stick, which I'm not buying.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2013, 04:06:10 AM »

Here's the point missed: because every single console will have Kinect 2, developers can COUNT on it and not alienate their gaming audience.

And as counter point to this - your statement only applies for exclusives.  The PS4 does NOT have this so at the very least half of a 3rd party developers audience/buyers (more than half, most likely) won't see/use/care about the feature.    EA isn't going to make Madden reliant on Kinect when their PS4 buyers won't have it.  Neither is Activision with Call of Duty.  They aren't going to develop two drastically versions of the game. 

The only way this changes is if Microsoft sells the crap out of the XBone OR Microsoft first party titles with fancy Kinect integration DO sell like hotcakes.  Possible, but in no way a guarantee.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2013, 04:09:53 AM »

Sit and watch someone play a game. Totally ignore the screen. It takes advantage of motion that already exists. Also, do you want to have things which should be simple be complex? Raven Shields' voice commands were a welcome enhancement, and being able to affect the games outcome naturally is not a bad thing.

The big thing, once again, is that the control methods presented aren't fragmented anymore. Why hit LB to say "Archers, loose arrows!" when you could simply say it? Or respond to questions asked in an RPG with your natural speaking voice? It's not complicated to imagine - it's simply the execution I'm concerned about (looking at the horrid design of Steel Battalion for Kinect1).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2013, 04:12:24 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 17, 2013, 04:06:10 AM

EA isn't going to make Madden reliant on Kinect when their PS4 buyers won't have it. 

but they can enhance it for the Kinect.  they have already been doing it for other titles:  Madden 13, Dead Space 3 and Mass Effect 3 are three that I have seen.  Ubisoft did it with Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.  I am sure there are more.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2013, 04:14:30 AM »

And as counter point to this - your statement only applies for exclusives.  The PS4 does NOT have this so at the very least half of a 3rd party developers audience/buyers (more than half, most likely) won't see/use/care about the feature.    EA isn't going to make Madden reliant on Kinect when their PS4 buyers won't have it.  Neither is Activision with Call of Duty.  They aren't going to develop two drastically versions of the game.  

The only way this changes is if Microsoft sells the crap out of the XBone OR Microsoft first party titles with fancy Kinect integration DO sell like hotcakes.  Possible, but in no way a guarantee.

So...you're saying the Kinect controls don't exist for every Xbox One version of the game, so they can't develop the game to include the Kinect enhancements on that side of the development? Interesting point - but your assumption is that EA, Ubi, etc don't have two different versions being released.

If your argument held water, all 360 developed as multi-console would see hit A instead of X, even on both consoles.

Consider Skyrim - it has Kinect voice controls. It's there, it's optional - multiplatform benefits still intact. Difference is, they could now not have it as optional on the XB1 - instead, it could be part of the game controls and baked right in.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2013, 04:16:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 17, 2013, 04:12:24 AM

EA isn't going to make Madden reliant on Kinect when their PS4 buyers won't have it.  

but they can enhance it for the Kinect.  they have already been doing it for other titles:  Madden 13, Dead Space 3 and Mass Effect 3 are three that I have seen.  Ubisoft did it with Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.  I am sure there are more.

Yeah all of those superficial and mostly worthless integrations.

Software development is zero-sum.  You don't spend a ton of money developing a feature that doesn't sell your product to the biggest total addressable market.  You might develop something hokey so you can throw 'KINECT' on the box if it helps sell a few more copies, but you're probably going to spend that money on the next microtransaction DLC instead cause that's worth more money.

Quote from: Purge on June 17, 2013, 04:09:53 AM

The big thing, once again, is that the control methods presented aren't fragmented anymore. Why hit LB to say "Archers, loose arrows!" when you could simply say it? Or respond to questions asked in an RPG with your natural speaking voice? It's not complicated to imagine - it's simply the execution I'm concerned about (looking at the horrid design of Steel Battalion for Kinect1).

Frankly, and I may be the minority on this, but any game that REQUIRES me to speak to my television is a game I will absolutely not be purchasing.  I feel stupid enough talking to my friends on the internet via game chat... I don't want to talk to a machine.  That's where I draw the line for this hobby.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2013, 04:25:10 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 17, 2013, 04:16:55 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 17, 2013, 04:12:24 AM

but they can enhance it for the Kinect.  they have already been doing it for other titles:  Madden 13, Dead Space 3 and Mass Effect 3 are three that I have seen.  Ubisoft did it with Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.  I am sure there are more.

Yeah all of those superficial and mostly worthless integrations.

that pretty much comes down to personal opinion; like you said you don't like talking to your TV so it's fair enough that you feel that way.  Voice commands in ME3 were fun, and were almost enough to get me to double dip until BiowarEA decided to rickroll everyone with the ending.  granted they weren't anything you couldn't do with the controller, but it did add to the immersion.

just don't get mad at Kaidan and tell him to bite you, talk about character twists....

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2013, 04:37:31 AM »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm still waiting for Purge's promised explanation of why the Xbox One cloud computing is "fricking sweet", despite PS Plus having had the same technology since it was introduced and the rest of the Internet and the journalistic world having caught up with the fact that the cloud (got how I hate that buzzword. It's just a server cluster dammit!) is next to useless for anything but remote storage.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2013, 05:38:47 AM »

Quote from: Laner on June 17, 2013, 12:50:19 AM

I dunno... between the $599 price tag, the giant enemy crabs, "RIIIIDGE RACER" and the boomerang controller, Sony pretty much stunk the place up and had a similar reaction from gamers at the PS3 reveal.  It just wasn't as amplified back then - we're far more connected now with social media and whatnot.

We were just as connected via social media back then, just different kinds of social media. I can assure you that the level of internet rage over Sony's announcements at the start of the PS3 is pretty much equal to the rage that's being felt at the start of the One. The only difference here is that if you're an Xbox fan, you're feeling the brunt of it, rather than being a bystander or participant.

Also, noise cancelling never works that well in real life, give me a boom mic any day. As much as I like the PS4, I actually am very interested in whether the Kinect 2 can actually deliver.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: