http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 01:19:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you pre-ordered a next gen console?
Yes, a PS4. - 39 (34.8%)
Yes, an Xbox One. - 5 (4.5%)
Yes, both. - 20 (17.9%)
No I'm going to wait for a while. - 23 (20.5%)
I don't plan on pre-ordering. - 25 (22.3%)
Total Voters: 112

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next gen purchase poll  (Read 9147 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2013, 02:50:34 PM »

Just curious to see how the winds are blowing on this forum. Somehow I've ended up ordering a PS4 (my first console pre-order ever) despite the fact that I play console games less than I ever have before.  I guess the price just blew me away and if PS+ keeps churning out free games every month I don't think I'll actually need to purchase any games (almost) over the life of the system.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 04:26:16 PM »

It seems trivial, but my problem right now is that I used a monitor that has no speakers and therefore I can't accept HDMI as the only output option. I use the Xbox360 component cables to jury-rig a connection to a set of speakers, but I'm not sure how to do that with HDMI.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

PS4 for all of the reasons that have been discussed.  I was an early original Xbox adopter, and got a lot of use out of my 360.  I've been playing mostly PC games (thank you Steam sales) and PS3 exclusives the past couple of years though. 

I am really turned off by the direction that MS has been going with the Xbone.  Their communication has been terrible, and they seem really disorganized & flat-footed this time around.  They also are pushing their own agenda rather than listening to customers and the community, and I don't have any tolerance for that.  I didn't even purchase a PS3 until late in this generation, and skipped the PS2, so I don't have a history of being a Sony supporter. 

Regarding the pre-purchase, I don't want to have to deal with camping out in lines for hours like I did for the 360.  I have no interest in doing that again.  I'll wait for Amazon to deliver the PS4 to my house.         
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »

Interestingly, Amazon is OUT of day one editions of the PS4 but still is taking orders for the XBox One.  Oopsies, Microsoft.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »

Waiting for the first price drop and RROD/YLOD-style fiascos to shake out.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 05:12:01 PM »

PS4
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 05:37:32 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 12, 2013, 04:46:00 PM

Interestingly, Amazon is OUT of day one editions of the PS4 but still is taking orders for the XBox One.  Oopsies, Microsoft.

they were out of XB1D1's yesterday, so either there were a lot of cancellations or they got a  better idea of what they've got coming.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 06:26:22 PM »

Will wait till the "slim" versions of these consoles come out. So 2yrs from release at the earliest. By then they should have worked out any major issues that crop up - you know there's gonna be several.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »

I've received multiple emails today from retails.  All of them talking about the PS4 being available for pre-order.  Not a single one has mentioned the Xbone.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 07:55:04 PM »

I pre-ordered the PS4 at Gamestop the other day and they were out of XB1 pre-orders.. Went in today to pay for my pre-order of Last of Us and they still didn't have XB1's available.. Then while I was looking around, the girl at the counter went out of her way and checked there email/notification system again and BAM.. they got notice that they could accept 2 more pre-orders, so good timing for me, I now have both pre-ordered... That being said, I don't know what I will actually do come release time... It's just nice to have an option... and too be honest, I wasn't too heart broken about missing the XB1... Every other Xbox was a day 1 purchase for me with no doubt and Playstations were always "later on".. Just too many things I don't like about the XB1.. Don't like the 24 hour thing... what if my Net is down for a few days?.. Don't like the no backwards compatibility.. don't have room for 2 XBoxes. Plus no used games or rentals or borrowing....Blah...
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »

The only console manufacturer that hasn't burnt me with faulty hardware, or that I trust enough to purchase a system day 1 is Nintendo. Since I didn't even preorder the Wii U in the Fall, no preordering for me this gen.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 11:49:25 PM »

what if my Net is down for a few days?

Allow me fellas.   /clears throat

They have a console for that.    Xbox 360
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 01:32:38 AM »

2 PS4s one for me the other for my son.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 02:00:22 AM »

Not buying a PS4 or XBone.  Absolutely no reason to at this point.  The 360 and PS3 (plus my PC) totally fulfill my needs.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 02:12:16 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 12, 2013, 11:49:25 PM

Yeah, already have that, a PS3, a Wii(that's packed away some where), and a good gaming rig... so, yeah, I'm not down and out if my Net goes, unless I happen to want to play one of the XB1 games.. still sucks.. same as Ubi's always on DRM and Simcity's... Plus, forget my Net, I also have to rely on MS's Net and servers....
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 02:14:05 AM »

What about the Ouya?   icon_twisted

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 02:39:27 AM »

PS4 for the obvious reasons...

Why would I pay $100 more for a less powerful machine that has horrible DRM? Crazy.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 03:46:08 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on June 13, 2013, 02:12:16 AM

Yeah, already have that, a PS3, a Wii(that's packed away some where), and a good gaming rig... so, yeah, I'm not down and out if my Net goes, unless I happen to want to play one of the XB1 games.. still sucks.. same as Ubi's always on DRM and Simcity's... Plus, forget my Net, I also have to rely on MS's Net and servers....

I think msd is referencing how Microsoft's brilliant PR department made that exact declaration.  "Don't have the internet connection needed for the XBone?  Get a 360!"
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 03:54:58 AM »

I follow Kato.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 04:17:33 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on June 13, 2013, 03:54:58 AM

I follow Kato.

Woot! smile

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 04:32:48 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 13, 2013, 04:17:33 AM

I follow Kato.

Woot! smile

Kato if you make the crew go XBone, I swear there will be spider pictures everywhere in the forums from that day on.  Or in your home mailbox.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 05:25:08 AM »

Souchilde, come to the dark side with us!!!  Fear not the green eye of the One, embrace it.
I know you want to join us Soul. Harkapedia is readily available, Jarrodhk with his outstanding tactical awareness, and I promise to lower my kill stealing shenanigans by 1%.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 05:52:41 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 13, 2013, 05:25:08 AM

Souchilde, come to the dark side with us!!!  Fear not the green eye of the One, embrace it.
I know you want to join us Soul. Harkapedia is readily available, Jarrodhk with his outstanding tactical awareness, and I promise to lower my kill stealing shenanigans by 1%.

Can I ask why an ex-army guy wants to support the machine that the army people can't use? At least, its my understanding that Internet isn't a given when on missions.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 05:56:46 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 13, 2013, 05:52:41 AM

Can I ask why an ex-army guy wants to support the machine that the army people can't use? At least, its my understanding that Internet isn't a given when on missions.
neither is electricity or a Tv. In that case he should buy a Gameboy!

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 05:57:57 AM »

Ah, I just understood that lots of army bases had Xbox's as relaxation for the troops, but internet was a scarce commodity.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 06:18:30 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 13, 2013, 05:52:41 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Of all the people to embrace the Xbox One, USMC Kato would be among the last I'd expect.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 06:27:46 AM »

I'm a huge gamer and I have the excess income so I will be getting both.  The 360 will be for ever day use with cable tv, but I have a feeling I will use the PS4 more for games, particularly because I like their first party exclusives more.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 06:29:08 AM »

Had a bunch of a Navy guys that shopped at my store. I was thinking earlier they'd all be getting PS4s.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 08:42:54 AM »

I follow Kato.

Woot! smile

I was including you, Hark and Jarrod in my normal gaming crew... crybaby

Its already preordered

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »

I follow Kato.

Woot! smile
Is Titanfall that big of a draw?  I mean that's going to be on PC and probably PS4 after a year.  I'm just trying to understand what the pull of the XB1 is for you guys outside of that and brand loyalty.  PS4 is more powerful hardware for less money.   Games like The Division (best thing shown at e3 IMO) and Destiny are going to look and run better on PS4.  BF4 too most likely.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 13, 2013, 12:10:30 PM

I follow Kato.

Woot! smile
Is Titanfall that big of a draw?  I mean that's going to be on PC and probably PS4 after a year.  I'm just trying to understand what the pull of the XB1 is for you guys outside of that and brand loyalty.  PS4 is more powerful hardware for less money.   Games like The Division (best thing shown at e3 IMO) and Destiny are going to look and run better on PS4.  BF4 too most likely.

why resist... we all play together, Forge

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 01:54:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 13, 2013, 03:46:08 AM

Quote from: Punisher on June 13, 2013, 02:12:16 AM

I think msd is referencing how Microsoft's brilliant PR department made that exact declaration.  "Don't have the internet connection needed for the XBone?  Get a 360!"

Ah.. I get it now... I guess this is MS's version of "Let them eat cake"?
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 01:56:26 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on June 13, 2013, 12:25:40 PM

I follow Kato.

Woot! smile

I could never get into console FPS's in general... After years of mouse/keyboard, I just can't get the hang of playing them with a controller... frown
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »

I just went to my local Game (a European gaming store) and preordered the PS4. Preorders aren't a very common phenomenon around here, so when they happen they are usually small scale. I ended up being number 39 in line for the console. In comparison there were 10 preorders for the Xbox One, but two of those were from the same customer. The guys behind the counter were as dumbfounded as the rest of us about Microsoft's decisions in this console race, and they really couldn't see a single reason for purchasing an Xbox One at this point. They were laughing and joking about the Cloud arguments too, which I found refreshing. It's a feature that is seriously overhyped by people who don't understand it, IMO.

Btw, the Xbox One is being sold by Microsoft for 3990 NOK here in Norway, which is traditionally the equivalent of $399 (not when converted properly, but in terms of how prices are traditionally converted). This surprises me, and seems to indicate that Microsoft is making a targeted effort to take a larger share of the Norwegian market (not that it appears to be working). We don't know the local price for the PS4, but if this is any indication, I'd expect it to go for 3490 NOK. These prices are unusually cheap for Norway.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on June 13, 2013, 01:56:26 PM

I follow Kato.

Woot! smile

I could never get into console FPS's in general... After years of mouse/keyboard, I just can't get the hang of playing them with a controller... frown

it takes me awhile to get the hang of an FPS on the console after not playing one for awhile; most of the time I just give up before all the rust is shaken off and go back to the PC.

Because I can,
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »

I follow Kato.

Woot! smile
Is Titanfall that big of a draw?  I mean that's going to be on PC and probably PS4 after a year.  I'm just trying to understand what the pull of the XB1 is for you guys outside of that and brand loyalty.  PS4 is more powerful hardware for less money.   Games like The Division (best thing shown at e3 IMO) and Destiny are going to look and run better on PS4.  BF4 too most likely.

Yeah, I really don't understand it....outside of blind loyalty to the Xbox brand.

The PS4 is $100 cheaper and quite a bit more powerful than the XB1. Multiplats should look much better on the PS4 and what exactly does MS have for exclusives that would make you buy a XB1? I'm sure that Dead Rising will eventually be on the Ps4 or at least the PC....same with Titanfall. Those are hands down the best games for the XB1 right now. The PS4 has Killzone and Infamous....which will never be on the Xbox or PC. That is not even touching the HUGE franchises like: Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War....etc....

XB1 has Halo, Fable and maybe Gears of War. Which are also bound for the PC at some point. I'm just not seeing the appeal....but to each his own...   icon_confused
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:55:38 PM by Hetz » Logged

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 12:58:30 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on June 13, 2013, 01:56:26 PM

I follow Kato.

Woot! smile

It's funny. I now am the opposite. It was hard to play with a controller at first...but now when I go back and play FPS's on the PC, it feels weird due to playing with a controller so much for the last few years!

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 03:25:34 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on June 14, 2013, 12:53:14 PM

...what exactly does MS have for exclusives that would make you buy a XB1? I'm sure that Dead Rising will eventually be on the Ps4 or at least the PC....same with Titanfall. Those are hands down the best games for the XB1 right now.

Seriously, you're joking right? Halo has been the flagship game since the debut of the original Xbox. It's right there amongst the all time top selling franchises on a single console platform. There will be many fans buying a XB1 for Halo 5 alone, even buying them day 1 despite the game not releasing until Fall 2014. I don't know how you missed that, unless you were just trying to tactically strengthen your argument.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:33:48 PM by kronovan » Logged
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »

I pre ordered a PS4 today. Wife wasnt impressed but son was.  ninja

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 14, 2013, 03:25:34 PM

Quote from: Hetz on June 14, 2013, 12:53:14 PM

...what exactly does MS have for exclusives that would make you buy a XB1? I'm sure that Dead Rising will eventually be on the Ps4 or at least the PC....same with Titanfall. Those are hands down the best games for the XB1 right now.

Seriously, you're joking right? Halo has been the flagship game since the debut of the original Xbox. It's right there amongst the all time top selling franchises on a single console platform. There will be many fans buying a XB1 for Halo 5 alone, even buying them day 1 despite the game not releasing until Fall 2014. I don't know how you missed that, unless you were just trying to tactically strengthen your argument.

I did mention Halo....along with Fable, in the next paragraph. I also mentioned them separately since they are also on the PC...not Xbox only franchises. That is the thing. Halo, Fable and Gears of War are all on the PC.

God of War, Uncharted, The Last of Us etc.....they are all ONLY available on Sony systems.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: