http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 05:45:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Guild Wars/Online Multi play question  (Read 1023 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2005, 05:11:42 PM »

Okay, I have never ever played an online multi rpg type of game like Guild Wars and the like.  Since this one is new on the block, looks sweet, and is free, I have one primary question with many parts to it.

How does it work?  What I mean is do you go online and just roam around by yourself tackling quests you stumble on or attacking whomever at will?  Or do you hook up with others and do all of that together?  Is there some 'mission' or 'story' that is played out or is it just a free-for-all?

Don't care much for games where there is not some kind of direction.  Not linearity so much as a goal to accomplish.  And by goal, I don't mean building up your stats where you are invincible and all of that.  Building up a character doesn't mean much to me.  What matters is the playing THROUGH a game, and not at it.  If you know what I mean.

The simplist way I know how to say it is, is there a single-player type of game to play through, only online with others?

If it is like Morrowing where you just roam around at will and you never know what you're gonna get, as Forest would say, then I will pass.  I need a direction.  Yes, I am a sheep in that regards.

I give up.  Any thoughts about the whole things would be appreciated.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 06:30:55 PM »

There is direction.  Basically, there are other human players in the cities.  If you form a group with them, then they accompany you into the same 'instance' of the world.  And the world is gigantic.  Even the newbie area is huge and you could easily spend 10+ enjoyable hours trying to complete all of the quests there.

There is an overarching 'story' quest and there are side quests.  The 'story' progresses as you complete those quests and move to different parts of the world.  If you want to wander the entire world by yourself, in your own 'instance,' then you're free to do so.  If you want to wander it with a guild or group, then that option is available, too.  If you have to travel a far distance and don't feel like walking the entire way, you can automatically travel between cities that you've previously visited.

The application is stable, the graphics are awesome (even on lower-end systems), the gameplay is fun, and the price is right, considering the amount of game that's there and the fact that there is no monthly fee.  Some complain a bit about the linearity of the characters, but frankly, I don't notice.  I'm not a super hardcore RPG player, and there's plenty of variety for me.  Gamesdomain.com suggests that there are over 150 skills for each character class, and you can dual class -- though you can only have 8 skills available for use at a time.  That adds some strategy in deciding how to equip your character (skill-wise) before you leave the city.  

It's fun!  I think that OO has a guild that you could probably get into.

Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 08:35:44 PM »

The development in Guild Wars is acquiring more skills for your character.Oh sure, you "level up" but you get a fixed amount of health per level and so it's not the big event that it is in other games. Each class has around 75 skills they can find - through questing or buying them at rare merchants or by actually "capturing" the skill from a boss.

Computer-controlled guys who have quests for you are marked with green ! over their heads, so it's easy to see when someone wants you to do something.

You don't ever fight other people unless you go into what's called an Arena. At the low to mid levels, the only arena fights are 4 on 4 or 6 on 6 randomly assembled teams. So you might end up with a guy you know, or you might not. One interesting thing is that you can roll a maxed out character right from the start, one who has all the Player-vs-Player arenas marked on his map. You can then go to the arranged team match area. But the interesting thing is this: those "instant 20"s only have a few skills unlocked - just enough so you can play with it (but not be some sort of powerhouse). Actually that's not quite true - they have a few skills unlocked PLUS any skills your lowbie guys have found in the world - so there's a reason you don't want to just make a maxed-out guy and PvP forever.

Anyway, it's quite a fun game, and even if you don't like it, you're not out more than the cost of the game.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 10:02:05 PM »

Is the combat realtime or turn-based?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 10:05:20 PM »

It's real time.  But not real time in the sense you have to command each attack becuase the characters will autoattack.  But you have special skills you can use also which can make or break a battle.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 03:44:50 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"

If it is like Morrowing where you just roam around at will and you never know what you're gonna get, as Forest would say, then I will pass.  I need a direction.  Yes, I am a sheep in that regards.

If you followed the main storyline, Morrowind is no different from any other single player RPG.  You didn't "have" to roam around.  Anyway GW does have a pretty good storyline in the form of missions.  There are side quests which don't advance the story and you don't have to do them.  The missions come with cut-scenes and your hero/party gets to star in them which is a pretty cool feature for an online game.  I would be lying if I said you could solo all the way to the end of the story.  Yes, you can have a party of AI characters but they won't cut it for some missions especially near the end.  Unless you have a really powerful solo build, you will need to group to get through some parts.  This is not a big deal, GW is by far one of the easiest games to find a group quickly.   You might change your mind about soloing once you find out how much fun it is to play with other humans in your group.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: