http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 02:07:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Xbox reveal next year?(and Timesplitters 4 for next gen)  (Read 2638 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »

and SONY say they are confident they will have the PS4 out before the new Xbox
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-02-playstation-4-to-release-before-next-xbox-report

all i know is that i wont be paying £425 for a launch machine this time SONY

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »

agreed.
Fool me once.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

And just because I want to assure y'all that even my country's past leaders are also prone to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX6XMIldkRU

So in summation: Sony fooled me once and the proof of that is the proof of the proof in the proof....

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »

I'm having trouble seeing the Kinect being built into the console.  you need to put the current version in a spot that gives a good view of the playing area, which usually means either right underneath the TV screen in front of the TV base or on a ledge above the screen.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 05:46:12 PM »

They have had awhile to tinker with and improve upon the Kinect technology.  Its possible that theyve improved it to the point that positioning may not be as critical as the 1st edition models are.  I guess we will know soon enough.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 06:04:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 02, 2012, 05:00:20 PM

I'm having trouble seeing the Kinect being built into the console.  you need to put the current version in a spot that gives a good view of the playing area, which usually means either right underneath the TV screen in front of the TV base or on a ledge above the screen.

I fairly confident by "built-in" they mean built-in support and bundled similar to how the Kinect is now with the 360 S. No seperate power adapter required like the older 360.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on April 02, 2012, 06:04:34 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 02, 2012, 05:00:20 PM

I fairly confident by "built-in" they mean built-in support and bundled similar to how the Kinect is now with the 360 S. No seperate power adapter required like the older 360.

Also, USB3.x. The Kinect 2.0 can apparently even detect facial expression and lip synching. They were pretty open about how they had to dumb down the current Kinect version to keep costs down.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 04:20:58 PM »

So I see a lot of recent news in this thread, but its all about the next 360 which I'm far less interested in than Timesplitters 4. Was a date confirmed for TS4 and will it be a X360 title? Oh, and I highly doubt the next Xbox console will be required to always be connnected to the Internet - if only because that runs counter to almost every OS MS has designed to date.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »

TimeSplitters 4 is NOT in development-Crytek

"For Timesplitters 4, with ever spiralling development costs, massive teams and endless crunch we decided on a more radical development strategy. In short, the experiment was to implement the infinite monkey theorem.

"With cloning being a far too expensive option, we spent all of the development budget on buying monkeys on the black market. Those seven monkeys are now sat in a room with typewriters and lots of mirrors, and we fully expect TimeSplitters 4 to be finished soon. Rumours are that they haven't written any code but just tease the press from time to time. Those damn monkeys.

"PS: anyone got any bananas?"

and the add on from CVG

Quizzed for a more serious answer, the company confirmed: "No, it's not in development."

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2012, 03:35:34 PM »

Ah crap, was really looking forward to a new game in the series. I wouldn't feel as bummed if TS Future Perfect or TS2  were actually BC on the 360, but they're not.  icon_evil
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »

just saw this on GameInformer

Microsoft may have a controller in the works that can recognize the person holding it.

A recently discovered patent shows an Xbox 360 controller that can recognize a player, "using a hand-pressure signature." If it can remember who you are, then it may have some memory built into it. Microsoft similar interactivity with the Kinect, but personally, I have never been able to get it to recognize me, so I am skeptical about this new idea.

cool tech an' all,but i can't really say its needed just so it knows who has picked up the controller,i wish MS would spend all this money securing Game Exclusives(and not just Timed Exclusive map packs for COD)

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012, 07:35:18 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 09, 2012, 09:21:57 AM

cool tech an' all,but i can't really say its needed just so it knows who has picked up the controller,i wish MS would spend all this money securing Game Exclusives(and not just Timed Exclusive map packs for COD)

Why would they do that? Aside from fanboy contests, it's something of a waste of money. Let's be honest, what 3rd party publisher wants to cut potential sales by not selling it on as many platforms as possible...

If MS wants to spend boatloads of money on something, it should be backward compatibility. Just being able to say 'you can play all of the existing XBLA and 360 titles!' puts it ahead of their competitors.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012, 07:52:51 PM »

My kinect recognizes me... and begs me to play with it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 09, 2012, 09:21:57 AM

just saw this on GameInformer

heh, the size of the controller compared to the hands in that pick is inducing original Xbox controller flashbacks.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »

more 720 rumors:

Beyond the stuff you'd expect, the document also claims Microsoft has Augmented Reality glasses in the works named "Fortaleza" (presumably built at Brazil-based Innovation Center Fortaleza) – the document says we won't see through MS' AR until some time in 2014, post-console launch. Additionally, it claims the "Xbox 720" will have some form of "always on" functionality, as well as the ability to run apps at the same time (read: multitasking).

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2012, 10:24:26 AM »

At least one site has been ordered to take down the leaked roadmap:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/21/website-ordered-to-remove-xbox-720-leaked-document/

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2012, 06:26:37 AM »

Actually, 2GPUs is a problem on PCs due to lack of standardization resulting in the vast array of hardware configurations and developers having no incentive to support it.

If it's built into a console standard, developers would make use of it.

I think it's going to require some kind of always on connection if you want to play online, however there will be a single player route. The numbers just aren't right for that kind of major switch to have it required in that way considering they make a lot from casual sales of games in store. However, they might be willing to ditch those for the lucrative online media box concept they've been pushing.

It's also been shown that the kinect sensor, when you actually give it real CPU power to use, can be pretty accurate and fast, unlike it's current implementation in the 360. One look at Steel Battalion's reviews shows how much we need to be careful with this tech.

Also, Sony will absolutely not allow MS to launch a year ahead this time. It's not a question of when, it's a question of how much will Sony spend to launch alongside the 360 due to their financial issues. If they can pull it together, and consolidate their services and network into something that can push the PS4 as the set top media and gaming box to get over the 360, then we'll see some really fierce competition this generation.

All I can say is, bring on the games! I'm really looking forward to playing console games with actually good AI due to abundance of cores. Oh and real HD resolutions too.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 06:29:04 AM by Turtle » Logged
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2012, 06:54:48 AM »

I'd be happy if we didn't see the next generation of consoles until 2014 or even 2015. There's so much more life left this generation and tons of games I still haven't gotten around to.

If they come anytime before, hopefully they at least give us proper BC so we can still play all these games we've been paying $60+ for.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2012, 07:13:41 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 23, 2012, 06:26:37 AM

It's also been shown that the kinect sensor, when you actually give it real CPU power to use, can be pretty accurate and fast, unlike it's current implementation in the 360. One look at Steel Battalion's reviews shows how much we need to be careful with this tech.

yeah, they should have either bitten the bullet and put in the processing power or held off until next gen.  about all mine gets used for is the voice controls for Netflix.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2012, 05:25:58 AM »

Pachter – next Xbox will cost $99, will be your television, internet

“Console will have to be multiple purpose devices, though. The Xbox 720, this is my prediction, is going to be your television as well. You’ll be able to tune into television through it. You won’t need a ‘smart TV’ when you’ve got an Xbox 720, it will be your television and your internet. It’s going to be open architecture and I think it’s real trick will be that one Xbox will be able to display television to as many screens as you have in your possession.

“The next Xbox will be Windows for sure, and you’ll be able to open up multiple TV channels in different windows and you’ll use SmartGlass to shoot off different channels to how ever many screens you want. That is happening, that I’m certain of.

“I’m pretty confident that in the US Microsoft is going to partner with a cable TV provider, so I expect that the console will be priced like a smart phone. I expect you’ll be paying $99 for the console with a cable TV subscription.”

Because I can,
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2012, 08:32:27 AM »

Translation: Securities analyst gets quoted "predicting" the current company line.

I really like the third quote. It's basically "Their current strategy is to try and subsidize the box using Gold Subs to get the box price as low as possible. They also let you use the 360 as a STB on U-Verse and have partnered with Verizon and Comcast. I bet they'll subsidize the next box with a cable operator instead of their retail partners!" Can I has millions of dollars for my insight?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2012, 06:04:15 PM »

new Xbox within next 18 months?

"Over the next eighteen months Microsoft will release new versions of all of our most significant products including Windows (Client, Server, Phone and Azure), Office and Xbox, along with completely new offerings like Microsoft Surface," reads the blurb.

they commented on it though:

Microsoft later insisted that the remarks were "not understood in their intended context", and that Hall was actually referring to new Xbox services like Xbox SmartGlass and Xbox Music. This seems plausible. But then again, so does a winter 2013 Xbox 720 release date.

why not say 'Xbox services' then?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2012, 06:42:47 PM »

delayed before even being announced?

Xbox 720 hasn’t even been unveiled by Microsoft yet, but a fresh report suggests that the reveal itself could be delayed due to a manufacturing issue that has led to ‘painfully low’ processor quality.

Tech news site SemiAccurate has stated – by way of OXM – that Xbox 720 will house AMD manufactured processors, rather than the Xbox 360′s IBM chips. The site claims that the processors were due to enter production this December, but delays have set in.

The site also claims that AMD’s Xbox 720 processor goes by the internal codename ‘Oban’, and is being developed at several locations in the East, but that the build quality is – as the site describes it – ‘painfully low’. The site’s source went so far as to say the build quality wasn’t even up to “horrid” yet.

This could mean delays in the Xbox 720 launch – which may sound daft as we don’t even know when it’s due in the first instance – but the site also claims that proper processor testing takes about eight weeks before they are shippable. A source has told the site that Microsft is currently targeting a September 2013 launch for Xbox 720.

Because I can,
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2012, 08:22:58 PM »

That has the sound of RRoD all over it. I guess I won't be an early adopter yet again.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2012, 04:18:33 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on September 06, 2012, 08:22:58 PM

That has the sound of RRoD all over it. I guess I won't be an early adopter yet again.

No... RRoD was a heat dissipation design flaw, not a chip yield issue or even manufacturing defects....

... and that problem affects a lot of companies (Nvidia for example) - you just might not be familiar with it. All it means is that they aren't going to be able to make as many of them, so it becomes more expensive and requires a much more stringent test (most chips, including most of the ones in the device you're reading this one) don't get individually tested through a battery of tests. It also drives up the cost ... think of it as a slab cake, and rather than 90% being sellable, only 30% is. Your material cost is still the same though, so instead of each of the 90 pieces aborbing the 10% waste, you have 30% absorbing the cost of the 70% on top of their own material cost.

If device A is produced (lets say a 4 x 16 sheet of PCB with SMT parts) then what normally happens is that one of the devices from that sheet is plugged in and tested. If it passes, then it passes for the batch. batch sizes vary - it may be 1 in a 1000, or 1 in a day per production line, or 1 per refill of the pickers... that's all based on contractual obligation and any number of factors negotiated with/and by the buyer.

Now, if products start being returned and its determined that the mfgr processing is to blame, you can bet someone's losing their contract unless reparations are made.

With RRoD, it was the design of the system that didn't take into account the head generated, and allowed the chips to heat up too high and "float" on their contacts. They were coming out of the plants just fine though.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:24:16 AM by Purge » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2012, 04:30:38 AM »

Microsoft boosts security at Xbox HQ to new level, gearing up for next console

Microsoft has been officially silent about plans for a successor to its Xbox 360 video-game console, but here’s a telltale sign that things are ramping up behind-the-scenes: The company is boosting security to an unprecedented level in the area of the Redmond campus that is home to the Xbox team, GeekWire has learned.

The company notified employees this week that it will be implementing new physical security measures — limiting employee access at four key Xbox and Interactive Entertainment Business buildings to ensure confidentiality of upcoming products.

It’s the first time Microsoft has taken this step on such a broad scale. The move represents a cultural shift, giving Microsoft’s key consumer products a level of security more along the lines of those implemented by Apple.

Microsoft hasn’t said when its next console is launching, and executives didn’t reference any specific product plans in their communications with employees this week. However, if the company were aiming for a fall 2013 launch of a new console, it would make sense for preliminary systems to start arriving soon for internal use and testing.

The changes will affect Microsoft Studios A, B, C, and D, on the west side of state Route 520, starting early next month with Studio A and rolling out to the other buildings by the end of the month.

Under the new policy, only employees and vendors in Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business or assigned to the buildings will have open access. Other employees and vendors who need to enter the buildings for business reasons will need to go through an online registration process or register at the buildings as visitors, escorted by another employee with access to the buildings. The changes don’t impact the Commons area in the middle of the Xbox campus.

it's all speculation of course.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: