http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:34:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Xbox coming in 2010? Xbox Natal?  (Read 2644 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:40:21 AM »

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/19960/Rumor-New-Xbox-Console-in-2010-We-Tell-You-the-Truth/

I don't know about you, but it sounds like a good idea to me.  The launch won't cost anywhere near as much as an entirely new system since the new console will mostly be the same as as the 360, but with a bit more power.  It'll come with the natal standard, but no doubt it will use the 360 controllers just fine to save on design and launch costs for new peripherals.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »

At first when I was reading that article, I had a thought that, well sure, why would'nt the 360 be in constant upgrade mode?  MS is the home of the constantly refreshing operating system, with numbers like #something.point.something, or with names like Vista.  It seems the 360 would be capable of similar evolutions.

At the end of the article though:

Today, I can tell you that I have obtained the first details on the next Xbox (info that we'll reveal in the coming weeks) and that's why we can confirm that the rumor reported by 1UP is false. Microsoft is NOT launching a new, upgraded Xbox 360 disguised as a new Xbox in 2010 (although built-in Natal technology is a possibility for a new edition of the Xbox 360, similar to the Elite or Arcade flavors).

It's not our intention to tease you, but for now the only thing I'm going to say about everything I heard regarding the next Xbox is that it won't launch until a certain type of television becomes more widespread because... (be sure to check out our Twitter account to learn more)

So they are working on a "new" 360, but they really aren't - plus we need to wait for everyone to get HDTVs before anything happens.  And here I thought I was only waiting for a Jasper unit.  icon_eek

I've already bought one HDTV thanks to devs making games that you can only read text in HD tech.  But with two 360s... sigh...  tear

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:01:42 PM »

unless my TV blows up,i wont be getting a HDTV for a long time

kotaku have also posted about 'no new xbox'

http://kotaku.com/5292223/microsoft-respond-to-new-xbox-rumors

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »

That sounds like they're waiting for 3D TVs more than HDTVs.  If they catch on (big IF) that could be in <5 years, or the proposed end of current gen.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 05:47:25 PM »

Microsoft has made it abundantly clear that you won't have to invest in a new console when Natal comes out, Natal will be it's own seperate purchase and they will most likely start bundling them.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:14:15 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on June 16, 2009, 02:18:03 PM

At first when I was reading that article, I had a thought that, well sure, why would'nt the 360 be in constant upgrade mode?  MS is the home of the constantly refreshing operating system, with numbers like #something.point.something, or with names like Vista.  It seems the 360 would be capable of similar evolutions.

At the end of the article though:

Today, I can tell you that I have obtained the first details on the next Xbox (info that we'll reveal in the coming weeks) and that's why we can confirm that the rumor reported by 1UP is false. Microsoft is NOT launching a new, upgraded Xbox 360 disguised as a new Xbox in 2010 (although built-in Natal technology is a possibility for a new edition of the Xbox 360, similar to the Elite or Arcade flavors).

It's not our intention to tease you, but for now the only thing I'm going to say about everything I heard regarding the next Xbox is that it won't launch until a certain type of television becomes more widespread because... (be sure to check out our Twitter account to learn more)

So they are working on a "new" 360, but they really aren't - plus we need to wait for everyone to get HDTVs before anything happens.  And here I thought I was only waiting for a Jasper unit.  icon_eek

I've already bought one HDTV thanks to devs making games that you can only read text in HD tech.  But with two 360s... sigh...  tear

Here's the post from the Twitter account:

...in addition to built-in Natal tech, a key feature of the next Xbox would be full HD stereoscopic 3D visuals similar to 3D movie theatres.

Not to brag or anything... icon_biggrin

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:25:11 AM »

Okay, so looks like my initial link is just fishing to clicks, same for the info about stereoscopic gadgets.

However, there is new info that does suggest there's a new xbox in the works.  But, as already discussed, it basically looks like a 360 but with built in Natal camera.  The wording of the speaker seems to indicate new hardware, but we'll see how "new" it is.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 03:54:08 AM »

While I believe that a new Xbox sku may be coming out in 2010, there is no way that the next generation of the Xbox will be out that soon. Publishers certainly don't want the next generation that soon, as each successive generation leads to an increase in development costs. And none of the Big Three, with perhaps the exception of Nintendo, has a first party development core strong enough to carry the weight of a new console. And while I'm sure that MS would love to leave this generation's hardware debacle behind them, they cannot afford to kneecap all these third party developer's when the system is finally creating a large core audience.

My shot in the dark is holiday season 2011 at the earliest.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 06:43:52 AM »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10268494-56.html?tag=mncol
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 05:05:12 PM »

The Brits think they have some leaked details.

Our sources say the innovative controller-free 360 camera will be released worldwide in November 2010.
The device should cost under £50 when sold solo. One publishing source says Microsoft is “trying to get as close as possible to ‘impulse buy’”. Another even says the camera could even retail for just £30.
14 games are being readied for launch.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 12, 2009, 05:05:12 PM

The Brits think they have some leaked details.

Our sources say the innovative controller-free 360 camera will be released worldwide in November 2010.
The device should cost under £50 when sold solo. One publishing source says Microsoft is “trying to get as close as possible to ‘impulse buy’”. Another even says the camera could even retail for just £30.
14 games are being readied for launch.

I like if it's true; it's Microsoft tearing a page from the Nintendo and Sony (pre-PS3) marketing history books. 14 games sounds like a decent line up too - far better that the poor showing for the Wii Motion Plus. This is the type of marketing MS should be doing more of, and the approach they really shoud have taken for the Xbox.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 05:56:20 PM »

I read just yesterday over here: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36466/Natal-launch-details-leak-from-secret-Microsoft-tour

that MS will have the NATAL camera as a standalone upgrade and that the price point 'should' be $50-100

Roman

OOPS - just read the post above mine  Roll Eyes

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »

looks like we will indeed be seeing Natal this holiday season.  I wonder how long it will be before they have it available for pre-order.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 03:52:06 PM »

Not interested!
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 03:55:35 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 07, 2010, 03:52:06 PM

Not interested!

Say what? This seems like it'd be a really cool thing to have, especially if they continue to refine it's ability to mimick your actions. I watched them demo it last year and it looked pretty slick.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 04:04:16 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on January 07, 2010, 03:55:35 PM

Not interested!

Say what?

not interested!!!...

you either like motion control, & all the infinite possibilities it offers... or you don't smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 04:22:38 PM »

Yeah, can't get very excited about this..

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »

Confirmed for 2010 !!!

Denoginizer's lack of interest in Natal.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »

Probably not a surprise, but I am IN!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 04:31:06 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on January 07, 2010, 03:55:35 PM

Not interested!

Say what? This seems like it'd be a really cool thing to have, especially if they continue to refine it's ability to mimick your actions. I watched them demo it last year and it looked pretty slick.

Eyes and fingers.  That's all I want to move when playing games on my couch.  Unless there's a beer on the coffee table.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 04:35:20 PM »

I'm beginning to suspect there will be a distinct lack of naked avatars emanating from these boards...

Tongue

Because I can,
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 04:35:27 PM »

I am 100% in.  I'll have it pre-ordered, and I'll pick it up on the midnight release (assuming there is one).  Hell, I'll probably even sit in one of those Wii Launch lines if it exists.  I'm drinking Natal's kool-aid!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 04:39:54 PM »

If the games are cool I'll check it out, but I'd rather have traditional games to play instead.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 04:58:24 PM »

... like a fat kid on a smartie...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 05:19:39 PM »

You know what kind of sold me on it?  I was playing Forza 3 the other day and was wishing I could look a little bit over to the right.  If they used Natal, it could watch my head tracking and do that.  I don't think every game has to only use Natal.  It can be used to add to the games we already play.

KC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 05:46:14 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 07, 2010, 05:19:39 PM

You know what kind of sold me on it?  I was playing Forza 3 the other day and was wishing I could look a little bit over to the right.  If they used Natal, it could watch my head tracking and do that.  I don't think every game has to only use Natal.  It can be used to add to the games we already play.

If you turn your head to the right, how will you see the screen?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 05:48:28 PM »

Quote from: KC on January 07, 2010, 05:46:14 PM

Quote from: The Grue on January 07, 2010, 05:19:39 PM

If you turn your head to the right, how will you see the screen?

Not all the way, silly.  Just slight adjustments.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 05:49:35 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 07, 2010, 04:30:46 PM

Probably not a surprise, but I am IN!

I guess you'll have to waight for the night vision version, you dark-residing tooth-gnasher.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 05:56:06 PM »

I'm excited for Natal, my only gripe with the Wii is the shitty graphics so having motion control on the true next-gen systems sounds swell to me.

Sean Lama
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »

Less than 0 interest. In fact, if this becomes so prevalant that most games start requiring it, I'll probably have to find a new hobby. Gamepad only tnx.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 08:29:17 PM »

I'm not sure why people are definitively out on this without actually having tried it (of course, definitively in is odd, too, but at least it's positive).

I know people still are against the Wii (despite some outstanding games), but that number is far fewer than the number who were dismissing it before it arrived.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 08:40:03 PM »

Give me a game with good virtual mech or flight sim controls and I'm in.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 09:21:08 PM »

I just got my 3rd RROD today so I'm not too excited by anything Microsoft right now.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 09:49:51 PM »

For those of you with no interest... I see this as Star Trek TNG's Holodeck version 0.001 alpha. If games progress to something that resembles the Holodeck, would you then be interested?

Theoretical question, obviously.

xbox live: nude rick james
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 09:57:27 PM »

Quote from: Clay on January 07, 2010, 09:49:51 PM

For those of you with no interest... I see this as Star Trek TNG's Holodeck version 0.001 alpha. If games progress to something that resembles the Holodeck, would you then be interested?

Theoretical question, obviously.

No. I don't play games to get exercise or move around. That's why I have a gym membership. I play games to sit there with my gamepad in a comfy couch with a cold beer within arm's reach. I'm not interested in anything more than that.

This is why I never caught on much with the drums in Rock Band. Fake plastic guitar is about as far as I'm willing to go, and even then I find I really need to be in the mood now to pick it up.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2010, 10:00:14 PM »

After playing Forza with the wheel I couldn't possibly want to play it with a controller, much less no controller at all.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »

This from Destructoid:

We met with Microsoft's Xbox Director of Product Management, Aaron Greenberg, during the 2010 CES, and it was there that I threw him some nifty game ideas for their upcoming body-sensing control scheme that they call Natal. I don't think he dug any of them, but it got us chatting about how Natal will work in today's games.

I said that the full-body sensing tech could be really cool in something like the upcoming thriller Alan Wake. I suggested that you could use your hand to point your flashlight around. But how would you walk? March in place? Yikes. No. Wouldn't you need a controller to move around in-game? Greenberg told me that I was on the wrong track. He said that they looking at fresh new uses for Natal, and they didn't think much of trying to shoehorn it into games as we know them today.

He also stressed that they are not out to replace games as we know them today. "The controller is not going away," Greenberg assured.

When I tried to ask about what to expect from Natal, Greenberg told me that I couldn't even imagine what was on the horizon. "You have no idea yet," he teased. "We are working on completely new types of entertainment that go beyond the controller."

I tried to guess anyway. I suggested some kind of hybrid game that could use both controllers and Natal together. Greenberg said that this was a definite possibility, and then proceeded to give other examples, reminding me that I'm forgetting about Natal capabilities like facial detection. Hypothetical, I'm sure, but maybe he was hinting at something.

Since he was giving me nothing, I asked when we could see an example of what they have been working on. I noted it had to be soon, as they announced that Natal would be ready for Holiday 2010. It turns out that seeing Natal in action at E3 2010 is a strong possibility.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 10:52:02 PM »

I like the hybrid idea. It would be cool if there were Natal enhanced sections of a game. For example, you're looking through a window (pick your scenario) that's fogged up, the game prompts you to use your real hands in a wiping motion which wipes the fog from the window.

I can imagine plenty of great uses for Natal specifically because you can have the standard controller in your hands and still make use of the motion controls.

Sean Lama
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 11:36:15 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 11, 2010, 10:52:02 PM

I like the hybrid idea. It would be cool if there were Natal enhanced sections of a game. For example, you're looking through a window (pick your scenario) that's fogged up, the game prompts you to use your real hands in a wiping motion which wipes the fog from the window.

yeah! - just imagine some of the other things you could wipe smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »

they recently had the ball game shown here in the beginning part of the video on Smallville.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: