http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 12:12:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 67111 times)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: May 14, 2014, 05:34:43 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 14, 2014, 05:26:42 PM

Quote from: naednek on May 14, 2014, 04:03:22 PM

I think we all should be more upset about the lack of quality games..  On both platforms.

Sequel sequel sequel...

In the 1st 6 months of this console gen I've been kept busy with The Show, Need for Speed, Infamous, Lego Marvel, AC4, Fifa 14, Killzone, CD Ghosts, Child of Light, Outlast, and BF4. That's a lot of good games, especially considering that history shows us that the first 6 months is usually a total drought. So I don't really get all the talk about there not being any good games. If I had an Xbox180 then I would add Dead Rising and Forza to the list.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: May 14, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 14, 2014, 05:34:43 PM

Quote from: ATB on May 14, 2014, 05:26:42 PM

I think we all should be more upset about the lack of quality games..  On both platforms.

Sequel sequel sequel...

In the 1st 6 months of this console gen I've been kept busy with The Show, Need for Speed, Infamous, Lego Marvel, AC4, Fifa 14, Killzone, CD Ghosts, Child of Light, Outlast, and BF4. That's a lot of good games, especially considering that history shows us that the first 6 months is usually a total drought. So I don't really get all the talk about there not being any good games. If I had an Xbox180 then I would add Dead Rising and Forza to the list.

I agree, I'm not on the "there's no games" boat. If there's no games it has less to do with the platform and more to do with the global content pipeline.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: May 14, 2014, 06:02:24 PM »

As an owner of a Wii U I want to say don't complain about a lack of quality games. smile

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: May 14, 2014, 06:08:29 PM »

yeah.  not getting the lack of games complaint unless you are applying it to "Should I buy both consoles?" or "If I have a good pc, should I get a console?"

then, those are totally worthy questions to answer. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: May 14, 2014, 06:09:59 PM »

Maybe it's not a lack of games in total, but perhaps a lack of anything new or interesting.

HOpefully watch dogs lives up to the hype.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: May 14, 2014, 06:17:51 PM »

We're also trying to compare launch consoles to mature, 9 year old consoles. It's very easy to forget what good games were available for 360 in 2005 (hint - not many). In terms of launch lineups, I think you could argue this has been one of the strongest generations ever.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: May 14, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »

Ok, let me explain. I'm almost 6 months into owning this system and I have purchased exactly three games for it.

1. Ghosts...but that was for 10.00 and it was an upgrade from the 360. So maybe it shouldn't count
2. BF4- This game screams next gen (at least for me) given that it's 32 v 32.
3. Kinect sports rivals- It is fun with the kids, but is now pretty much DOA due to the kinect crash and burn

TitanFfall, one of the titles I was truly looking forward too appears to have had no longevity and did not differentiate itself well enough for me (who was right in the strikezone as the intended audience) to actually buy it.

Watch dogs is out this month and has appeal, but I'm fearful it will receive crazy awesome reviews up front and then in retrospect, not be anything that great or new...

And I realize we're only 6 months in but absolutely NOTHING announced in the E3 'leaks' is remotely interesting on either platform. My guess is the next game I buy (besides maybe watch dogs) will be COD Advance Warfare...and that makes me sad.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3367 on: May 14, 2014, 06:27:53 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 14, 2014, 06:21:16 PM

1. Ghosts...but that was for 10.00 and it was an upgrade from the 360. So maybe it shouldn't count
3. Kinect sports rivals- It is fun with the kids, but is now pretty much DOA due to the kinect crash and burn

TitanFfall, one of the titles I was truly looking forward too appears to have had no longevity and did not differentiate itself well enough for me (who was right in the strikezone as the intended audience) to actually buy it.

Based on those titles you just mentioned, I'd say you're into very mainstream AAA titles. You should get used to there being far less of them in the years to come. That market has become extremely hard to thrive in, and more and more companies are either folding or going into smaller games. Those big games will still be there, but you have to get used to the concept of them coming out far less often.

This isn't the fault of the new generation.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: May 14, 2014, 06:34:55 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 14, 2014, 06:27:53 PM

Based on those titles you just mentioned, I'd say you're into very mainstream AAA titles. You should get used to there being far less of them in the years to come. That market has become extremely hard to thrive in, and more and more companies are either folding or going into smaller games. Those big games will still be there, but you have to get used to the concept of them coming out far less often.

This isn't the fault of the new generation.

Fair. Funny I never thought of myself as being just a triple AAA guy, but it seems I've moved in that direction.  None of the smaller indy games appeal to me beyond a few initial play sessions...never finished Braid, or Bastion to name a few...  now I'm even more depressed about this. frown
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: May 14, 2014, 06:40:02 PM »

People keep talking the Titanfall is a fail, but I am enjoying the hell out of it.  I'm usually the guy that bails early in MP Shooters.  Love the genre, but I not very skilled, but something about Titanfall has it's hooks into me.  I can do 1-2  drops per day and I have fun.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: May 14, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »

CNet chimes in:

Ultimately, the end result of the widespread pressure for uniformity in the industry will be a perpetuation of the more malignant undercurrents entrenching console gaming in its bloated, risk-adverse traditions. Instead of fresh takes that incorporate new technologies and take bold chances, we're now likely to get more of the same: more cycles of selling sequels and turning riffs on established game genres into franchises, all for what have become overly marketed PCs that just happen to be plugged into our TVs.

The fight for the living room, for fully realized next-generation entertainment that transcends gaming, has been reduced to the same tired squabbles that render console war discussions vapid and self-defeating. More choice for consumers has become Microsoft's forced doublespeak for an offering that closely resembles that of its competitor, a decision made solely to boost sales and keep fanboys from foaming at the mouth.

Because by unbundling the Kinect from the Xbox One -- a splintering of the peripheral's install base that may kill Kinect's future and, at best, will undoubtedly hamper game development that incorporates motion control -- we're left with two video game consoles that are essentially identical. Granted, the PS4 has a graphical edge, and the Xbox One cable-box functionality, though the former is entirely negligible to the everyday consumer and the latter now jeopardized given the One's reliance on the Kinect's IR blasting functionality to control your television.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: May 14, 2014, 06:42:45 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 14, 2014, 06:40:02 PM

People keep talking the Titanfall is a fail, but I am enjoying the hell out of it.  I'm usually the guy that bails early in MP Shooters.  Love the genre, but I not very skilled, but something about Titanfall has it's hooks into me.  I can do 1-2  drops per day and I have fun.

I would not say TF is a fail (though I've heard absolutely no sales numbers) and I find what you said to be an indicator of it being actually a success- getting new/different players into those types of games...I just mean it was too much like what was already out there...at least from a gameplay/modes perspective.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: May 14, 2014, 08:29:26 PM »

Huh? The Kinetic still works and is still being made isn't it? Just people have the option of not getting one now? How is a game that is fun, dead now?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: May 14, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 14, 2014, 06:42:45 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 14, 2014, 06:40:02 PM

I would not say TF is a fail (though I've heard absolutely no sales numbers) and I find what you said to be an indicator of it being actually a success- getting new/different players into those types of games...I just mean it was too much like what was already out there...at least from a gameplay/modes perspective.

The same thing has happened to me as Soulchilde.  I don't usually last long in MP games.  In part, because the pack usually pulls away from me, since I only play casually.  In part, because I don't like their convoluted upgrade systems and alternate styles of play (I have yet to play a full level of Extinction, by the way. I tried last night, and the two other players bailed before the first batch of creatures finished.  I think I did something wrong).  In part, because I just find them tedious after a while (getting shot after a step or two will do that). 

I hear people talk about their miserable K/D ratio.  If I kill 3 guys in one life, I'm overjoyed.  Hell, if I can pull out a 1:1, it's a good day.  I'm lucky to get to level 15 in most of these games.

I am currently at Level 40 in Titanfall.  I could even see myself reaching that 50 cap (which is unheard of), but I think it may be getting raised in the DLC that comes tomorrow.  I am usually in the top half at the end of a round (I'm happy if I'm second to last in CoD) and have found myself in the number 2 slot more than once. 

I don't know what it is, but this game works for me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: May 14, 2014, 11:22:21 PM »

We're all almost 10 years older than when the Xbox 360 launched. Maybe we're just getting old.  icon_frown
TheRockFrog
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #3375 on: May 14, 2014, 11:53:03 PM »

38 years since the Atari 2600 came out....I was in high school...played pong with my best friend....where's my cane.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: May 15, 2014, 12:43:08 AM »

Quote from: Lee on May 14, 2014, 08:29:26 PM

Huh? The Kinetic still works and is still being made isn't it? Just people have the option of not getting one now? How is a game that is fun, dead now?

There will likely be no sequel...and probably no DLC. What's the incentive to do either of those things when the tool that is required for the game to work is now kaput?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: May 15, 2014, 01:50:24 AM »

Wow welcome to 1999 console war 2.0 lol. 

Tilt wasn't out of line at all, for the record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: May 15, 2014, 02:04:29 AM »

Quote from: ATB on May 15, 2014, 12:43:08 AM

There will likely be no sequel...and probably no DLC. What's the incentive to do either of those things when the tool that is required for the game to work is now kaput?

But on the 360, Kinect was an option, and there was obviously enough interest to make more games using it. If they make good games supporting it, whether Kinect is now an option or not, there will be more games and sequels that use it. People will buy a Kinect to play those games.

I guess I just don't see this is as being a big deal that a lot of people seem to be making it out to be. If they support it, people will buy it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: May 15, 2014, 12:24:20 PM »

Quote from: Lee on May 15, 2014, 02:04:29 AM

Quote from: ATB on May 15, 2014, 12:43:08 AM

But on the 360, Kinect was an option, and there was obviously enough interest to make more games using it. If they make good games supporting it, whether Kinect is now an option or not, there will be more games and sequels that use it. People will buy a Kinect to play those games.

I guess I just don't see this is as being a big deal that a lot of people seem to be making it out to be. If they support it, people will buy it.

But they've just dramatically done the opposite of supporting it.

I have seen articles from gaming news sites and traditional news sites talk about Kinect being dead.  In fact, I just saw a thing on my AP feed today about all motion gaming being dead.  I don't mean to say they know what they're talking about.  These sites often decry trends as dead when there's still a lot of life in them.  My point is that MS made the announcement, and this is the perception result.

The perception that Kinect is dead in the water is out there and it's getting to developers and stock holders and the public.  None of those are good.

Now MS could have some kind of hail mary lined up for E3, but if it's a good enough hail mary, why bother to drop kinect from the console?  Anything good enough to save Kinect would have been good enough to drive people to the console.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: May 15, 2014, 12:27:09 PM »

At least it's showing that MS is listening to its customers. I don't happen to completely agree with their customers, but at least they're making an effort. If that positive reception extends to games then win-win.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: May 15, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 15, 2014, 12:27:09 PM

At least it's showing that MS is listening to its customers. I don't happen to completely agree with their customers, but at least they're making an effort. If that positive reception extends to games then win-win.

True.  As I've said, I'm pleased that this new guy seems to have his heart in the right place.  However, this move seems to have caused more of a mess than seems to be good for them.  It's giving the impression that they're not confident in their product.  They're going to have to have a bit of slam-dunk messaging at E3 to turn it around. 

I can't imagine they don't know that, though.  After the disaster of last year's E3, that was going to be the case even if this hadn't happened.  It may be why they got this mess out of the way before E3 happens, giving them the chance to repurpose themselves in a rock-solid and exciting way.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3382 on: May 15, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 15, 2014, 01:42:50 PM

After the disaster of last year's E3

Actually, Microsoft's E3 presentation last year was pretty good. They got lots of positive feedback from it. Their problem was that Sony knocked out a presentation of their own that went into the history books as one of the most dramatic and invigorating E3 presentations ever.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: May 15, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 15, 2014, 01:48:51 PM

Actually, Microsoft's E3 presentation last year was pretty good. They got lots of positive feedback from it. Their problem was that Sony knocked out a presentation of their own that went into the history books as one of the most dramatic and invigorating E3 presentations ever.

I don't remember anything positive about last year's E3 presentation by MS. If you watched it in a vacuum maybe. But once Sony got up and pointed out everything that MS is doing wrong it really made MS look bad. The proof is in the sales numbers.

Even worse though was the XBO unveiling event where they focused almost entirely on TV. That was downright terrible for them.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: May 15, 2014, 02:50:05 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 15, 2014, 02:40:57 PM

I don't remember anything positive about last year's E3 presentation by MS. If you watched it in a vacuum maybe. But once Sony got up and pointed out everything that MS is doing wrong it really made MS look bad. The proof is in the sales numbers.

Even worse though was the XBO unveiling event where they focused almost entirely on TV. That was downright terrible for them.

This.  MS not only underwhelmed, they shot themselves in the foot right out of the gate.  Sony's spectacular pick up of the fumble let them carry the baton to the end of the high jump for a wicked googly.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3385 on: May 15, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »

I don't remember anything positive about last year's E3 presentation by MS. If you watched it in a vacuum maybe.

The only thing people remember from last year's E3 is Sony's victory run, and that means Microsoft's presentation has been forgotten. If you go back and read commentaries from the big sites back then, you'll see that most of them were pretty impressed with what Microsoft had to show. The general opinion seemed to be that Microsoft had the slightly stronger showing of the two, except for Sony's coup-de-grace at the end.

But it's easy to get their E3 show mixed up with the Xbox reveal, which was indeed a disaster in many ways. People were holding their breath until E3 to see if they had perhaps misunderstood what Microsoft had said, but it turned out they didn't. That really began to dominate the news a day or two after the presentation, and once again colored our perception of the whole thing in hindsight.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:17:29 PM by TiLT » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: May 15, 2014, 03:15:40 PM »

I definitely got my memories of the XB1 reveal and the 2013 E3 show mixed up.  I just dug through our E3 thread last year and it looks like our forum impressions here were generally positive until we threw up in our mouths at the $500 price tag announcement.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: May 15, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 15, 2014, 02:50:05 PM

This.  MS not only underwhelmed, they shot themselves in the foot right out of the gate.  Sony's spectacular pick up of the fumble let them carry the baton to the end of the high jump for a wicked googly.
They took the pole position, then totally scored a three-pointer on that field goal conversion for the trifecta goalllllllllll.

Yay, sports!

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: May 15, 2014, 04:18:44 PM »

Yeah, all we had was TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, Sports, Sports, TV Sports, Sports, Sports, TV, Sports, Sports!, TV, TV, Halo (TV), Sports, TVCall of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Dog, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, fish AI,

then they followed that up with Kinect$499?! <Crickets>

Here's the reveal highlight if you forgot. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3389 on: May 15, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 15, 2014, 04:18:44 PM

Yeah, all we had was TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, Sports, Sports, TV Sports, Sports, Sports, TV, Sports, Sports!, TV, TV, Halo (TV), Sports, TVCall of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Dog, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, fish AI,

Yeah, this is the Xbox One reveal event, not E3.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: May 15, 2014, 04:42:25 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 15, 2014, 04:24:55 PM

This..  MS E3 from last year was pretty good until Sony used a fatality on them

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: May 15, 2014, 06:11:45 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 14, 2014, 11:22:21 PM

We're all almost 10 years older than when the Xbox 360 launched. Maybe we're just getting old.  icon_frown

I think this may be part of it.  My 360 gets powered on maybe once every 2 or 3 months now.  I have hundreds of games in Steam staring back at me and I have no drive or impetus to play them.  A far cry from the daily 5pm-2am gaming marathons I would pull 12-15 years ago.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: May 15, 2014, 08:20:06 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 15, 2014, 04:42:25 PM

Quote from: TiLT on May 15, 2014, 04:24:55 PM

This..  MS E3 from last year was pretty good until Sony used a fatality on them

To me, the reveal was the launch of the Xbone and is therefore linked directly with the E3 event.  It doesn't matter what the actual timeframe was.  It's borderline semantics.  Irrelevant.

They launched the Xbone tragically.  Sony then curbstomped them.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3393 on: May 15, 2014, 08:22:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 15, 2014, 08:20:06 PM

To me, the reveal was the launch of the Xbone and is therefore linked directly with the E3 event.

That's fair. Microsoft clearly planned those two presentations to complement each other (the reveal focusing more on multimedia, while E3 focused on games), but when seen in isolation, the E3 presentation was good.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: May 15, 2014, 09:09:07 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 15, 2014, 08:22:04 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 15, 2014, 08:20:06 PM

To me, the reveal was the launch of the Xbone and is therefore linked directly with the E3 event.

That's fair. Microsoft clearly planned those two presentations to complement each other (the reveal focusing more on multimedia, while E3 focused on games), but when seen in isolation, the E3 presentation was good.

Honestly what I remember about Microsoft's E3 was them showing 90% multiplatform games and the Kinect. Followed with Ryse, Dead Rising, and Forza. I have no interest in Ryse or Forza, but Dead Rising looked good. In the end it wasn't even close to what Sony did. Sony came out, did a flying clothesline to MS and then while MS was down they did a swanton bomb off the top rope for good measure. Then they announced $399 as an added punch to the nuts.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: May 15, 2014, 09:11:41 PM »

In fact the only way they could have made the XBO reveal and E3 any worse would be if they had Jamie Kennedy host it.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: May 15, 2014, 09:14:26 PM »

I'll choose to believe that this creates a niche in the market that somebody may try to exploit.  Kinect owners will be looking for anything to play using their device and maybe that allows for a bit more sell though on a game owners may not usually buy.  A developer could try and capture that market with something/anything, could go either way though if crappy trash games are put out instead of quality Kinect titles.  I will hold out hope for a good fitness program, what I would really like is one that has streching and flexing as part of the program sorta like Fitness Evolved but better intergrated.

I agree with YellowKing that MS is trying to change with the market and listening to its customer/potential customer base, can't be all bad.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: May 15, 2014, 09:24:58 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on May 15, 2014, 09:14:26 PM

I'll choose to believe that this creates a niche in the market that somebody may try to exploit.  Kinect owners will be looking for anything to play using their device and maybe that allows for a bit more sell though on a game owners may not usually buy.  A developer could try and capture that market with something/anything, could go either way though if crappy trash games are put out instead of quality Kinect titles.  I will hold out hope for a good fitness program, what I would really like is one that has streching and flexing as part of the program sorta like Fitness Evolved but better intergrated.

I agree with YellowKing that MS is trying to change with the market and listening to its customer/potential customer base, can't be all bad.

The fitness potential is there with the Kinect. All it would take is one really good game/program and I would be sold. As it is I'm not going to pay $125 for P90X/whatever program you choose, plus the $499 for the XBO just to use the Kinect with my workouts. Make the program competitive with P90X, make it a $60 game, and make full use of Kinect, then release a new version of the program/game every year or so and I am sold.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: May 15, 2014, 09:27:50 PM »

I'm seriously considering shorting the absolute hell out of MS stock, just saying.

Seems they've no idea wtf they're doing (speaking as much about the shit that is W8 as anything).

When my company, a conservative regional bank is talking about moving us all to Macs, you know MSFT is in trouble.

I'm not at all rooting against the xbone, so don't take it as that.  MSFT is up there with Comcast in my opinion though.

By that I mean both companies have no freaking clue what is going on in the real world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: May 15, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »

My boss showed us an awesome TED talk about "The Golden Circle" concept. Imagine three circles, one inside the other. The inner circle is WHY? The middle circle is HOW? The outer circle is WHAT? Companies that succeed tend to market from inside out. They sell the why, then the how, then the what. Companies who fail tend to market from the outside in. They sell the what, then the how, then the why. This is very apt in this current console generation. Sony sold their vision of a console for gamers - that's the WHY. HOW are they doing that? No DRM, reduced price. WHAT is it they're selling? The PS4. Microsoft, by contrast, started from the outside in. They marketed the WHAT and not the WHY, which was the vision. This is why we need DRM, this is why we need Kinect? That message never came through.

I don't think MS is evil. I think they've just done a terrible job at conveying the WHY to consumers. And it's probably because they don't really have a cohesive vision themselves.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:53:13 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: