http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 09:28:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 65965 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: May 13, 2014, 09:19:41 PM »

TiLT, you've kind of become an ass on these forums.  Whether or not you're right is irrelevant.  You talk down to everyone with levels of condescension and arrogance you didn't previously have here.  Not sure what happened to you.  It's probably the Kinect's fault.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: May 13, 2014, 09:21:48 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 13, 2014, 09:19:41 PM

TiLT, you've kind of become an ass on these forums.  Whether or not you're right is irrelevant.  You talk down to everyone with levels of condescension and arrogance you didn't previously have here.  Not sure what happened to you.  It's probably the Kinect's fault.

Didn't previously have??  Are you sure you're not confusing him with someone else?

He's actually been a lot more rational and calm in recent months compared to past issues.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: May 13, 2014, 09:23:52 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 13, 2014, 09:21:48 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 13, 2014, 09:19:41 PM

Didn't previously have??  Are you sure you're not confusing him with someone else?

Maybe it just depends what side of a particular argument you're on, but on multiple occasions I've even sent him PM pats on the back for handling tense forum moments in a respectful manner without losing his cool. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: May 13, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »

That's fine, you can take your ball and go home.

Although I'm still very curious about what this opinion is that I don't understand and what I'm trying to change.

I simply am stating fact. Microsoft is a business. It does not owe you a kinectless sku and are not forcing you to do anything. Putting out a single Xbox sku was not arrogant it's called a marketing plan (without comment on whether it was a good or not) And to say that they are forcing anything "down your throat" is needlessly melodramatic at best and kind of offensive at worst.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: May 13, 2014, 09:25:28 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 13, 2014, 09:18:15 PM

Teggy, I hate to say it, but you have missed TiLT's point.

Well then go for it, explain it to me.

EDIT: also just to note, my original reply was to Jaydee, not to Tilt, and it was specifically regarding the terms "forced down my throat". Tilt then proceeded to jump in as if he wrote the words.

EDIT2: and just to be fair I have read back through the thread. If the point that you believe I am missing is that Tilt/Jaydee don't want to buy an Xbone with a kinect because it somehow validates Microsoft's business strategy, no I didn't miss that. However, the conversation did stray away from that and I think my point was diluted/missed because of that. My initial response was specifically to the words "forced down my throat", which I really felt was the wrong way to describe what was going on. I have no problem in anyone expressing their disapproval of a product with their dollars, but I do think that the level of personal insult taken by a business decision can be taken out of hand.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:44:19 PM by Teggy » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: May 13, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 13, 2014, 09:25:28 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 13, 2014, 09:18:15 PM

Teggy, I hate to say it, but you have missed TiLT's point.

Well then go for it, explain it to me.

EDIT: also just to note, my original reply was to Jaydee, not to Tilt, and it was specifically regarding the terms "forced down my throat". Tilt then proceeded to jump in as if he wrote the words.

Right, but it seems like Jaydee had a similar point of view.  If he didn't, and TiLT co-opted it, you still continued with him.

The discussion started by everyone saying MS wasn't forcing Kinect down your throat, since you could just disconnect it.  It seems that TiLT's (and JayDee's) point was not about the price or whether he had to use it, it was that the Kinect and everything it represented was being forced on the system.  It was an issue of principle.  By including it in every package, Microsoft was, in fact, forcing the end user to either support it with a purchase (whether they connected it or not) or abstain.  

You came closest to his point when you said, "You make it sound like Microsoft made an assault on your civil liberties."

What drives the idea that you weren't getting it home are these statements next to each other:

TiLT: "He doesn't want to [have to] buy the Kinect. He's not talking about actually using it."

TEGGY: "You buy the box, you play the games, the kinect sits in the packaging forever or gets sold."

TiLT: "Some don't see the problem when corporations make choices for them. I do."

TEGGY: "...you don't want to buy a product at its current price and configuration"

TiLT: "...if I had decided to purchase, the only option would be for me to also buy a Kinect, or I wouldn't have gotten the product I really wanted. That's force."

TEGGY: "Microsoft does not owe you a Kinect-less Xbone, no matter how much you want one. They are not forcing you to buy one. If you don't want a kinect in your package, you don't buy the system."

Initially, there was a clear confusion with TiLT's issue with the concept that Microsoft was trying to impart on people vs. you saying that he didn't have to use the Kinect, problem solved.  TiLT seems to be continually saying that he was speaking with his dollars against Microsoft's stance on Kinect, and you seem to tell him he that he didn't have to buy it.

As for TiLT being an ass, multiple times in this very argument, he tried to get folks to let it go, when it was clear he wasn't being understood, but they kept coming back at him.

I don't actually have any strong feelings about this Kinect issue, so I'm not trying to say anyone is right or anything.  I was just following the argument from the sidelines, and it seemed pretty clear that TiLT was saying one thing and Teggy was hearing another.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:56:26 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: May 13, 2014, 10:06:33 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 13, 2014, 09:54:30 PM

I don't actually have any strong feelings about this Kinect issue, so I'm not trying to say anyone is right or anything.  I was just following the argument from the sidelines, and it seemed pretty clear that TiLT was saying one thing and Teggy was hearing another.

Fair enough, I went back and reread the thread while you were writing up your response and summarized in my edit above.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: May 13, 2014, 10:52:06 PM »

Is the problem with Kinetic that there aren't many games for it, or that's it's not a very good interface for the system (relative to the price)?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3328 on: May 13, 2014, 10:59:15 PM »

Quote from: Lee on May 13, 2014, 10:52:06 PM

Is the problem with Kinetic that there aren't many games for it, or that's it's not a very good interface for the system (relative to the price)?

To me, as someone who owns an Xboxne, I would say it's both.  There are no really good games available (or even announced) for it yet, and from what is available it doesn't seem like a terribly huge improvement over the previous Kinect.  It still has lag issues, still has consistency issues, and overall is still slower, more cumbersome and more inaccurate than a button press would be. 

There are times it's really cool, like when using voice with it to record something that just happened or pause a video, but as soon as I have to repeat something 3 times just to get it to work I'm going to mostly quit using it.  Basically, I expect consumer technology to work much better than even this improved Kinect does, especially after several years and a second iteration.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: May 13, 2014, 11:46:35 PM »

Am I the only one who got turned on by a bunch of hot nerdy guys talking about forcing things down each other's throats?   Tongue

Anyway my two cents is still what it was before.  I love the idea and ambition for what they tried to do with the XB1 and Kinect, it was just the poor implementation and even poorer user testing that made it such a loser.  I still use the vocal commands to turn my entire system on and off (TV, receiver, set top box and XB1), and I really like that.  Unfortunately no one else in the household seems to have gotten the hang of it which generally leads to all sorts of confusion and messes, and regular remote control solutions are still hit or miss.  I'm sure this could have all been avoided with proper testing.  If the motion sensing interface was well done, I could totally imagine it being a Minority Report-esque type of experience.  Play a game in the main window, move my hand to summon another window with the weather, move it over, summon another window to watch TV.  The potential is/was all there, particularly with the HDMI passthrough and TV control capabilities, to command the entire living room.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: May 13, 2014, 11:52:45 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 13, 2014, 11:46:35 PM

Am I the only one who got turned on by a bunch of hot nerdy guys talking about forcing things down each other's throats?   Tongue

LOL, you win.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: May 14, 2014, 12:40:11 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 13, 2014, 10:59:15 PM

Quote from: Lee on May 13, 2014, 10:52:06 PM

To me, as someone who owns an Xboxne, I would say it's both.  There are no really good games available (or even announced) for it yet, and from what is available it doesn't seem like a terribly huge improvement over the previous Kinect.  It still has lag issues, still has consistency issues, and overall is still slower, more cumbersome and more inaccurate than a button press would be. 

There are times it's really cool, like when using voice with it to record something that just happened or pause a video, but as soon as I have to repeat something 3 times just to get it to work I'm going to mostly quit using it.  Basically, I expect consumer technology to work much better than even this improved Kinect does, especially after several years and a second iteration.

I agree with this. I owned an Xbox one and while I never bought their whole "this time the Kinect will be AMAZING" BS, I was pretty shocked at just how bad it was. It's only a marginal improvement over the first Kinect and is pretty worthless as a game control device.

The concept of the Kinect is WAY better than its execution.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: May 14, 2014, 12:44:58 AM »

I must be in the minority because I love the Kinect - not for games or motion stuff, but for the voice integration. The only time I pick up a controller is to play a game - other than that it's all voice navigation. My wife loves it because she could never figure out how to use my universal remote or switch inputs on the receiver. With the XB1, she doesn't have to. She just tells it what she wants to do and it does it.

The thing that really irritates me about people being so vehemently against the Kinect is that I feel like they're intentionally hindering technological progress. So the voice integration may not be perfect, but it's a stepping stone to voice recognition in our devices that is close to perfect. And if you kill the Kinect, you scare companies away from improving that technology or innovating in other areas. Those people may be happy playing the same console they played in 1995 just with better graphics. I'm not.

It seriously sickens me that we've become so jaded and cynical as a society that we can't even be wowed by being able to speak to our game console or have our heartrate read through a motion sensor. Stuff that as a kid I would have seen as magical and wondrous. Now it's just FUCK THIS SHIT BEING FORCED DOWN MY THROAT! I WANT TO GO BACK TO THE PIONEER DAYS AND CHURN MY OWN BUTTER! WAAAAAHHHHHHH! Ironically these are the same people who get mad because Call of Duty 14 is the same thing as Call of Duty 13 with slightly better graphics.

But you know what? The people have spoken. They just want an incremental graphical upgrade to their previous console of TEN YEARS AGO. At least Microsoft can stop innovating now and we can all be mindless drones who just buy the same product over and over again as long as the model number is incremented by one.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: May 14, 2014, 12:54:09 AM »

I like technical progress and innovation when it's in a direction I like. I just personally am not at all for voice commands and gestures in video games. Nothing Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo has shown me in this arena for games has led me to say 'Yup, keep going. Do more of that.'
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: May 14, 2014, 01:06:27 AM »

Yeah, that's the thing.  They've had two shots at it now and it just hasn't gone well.  I think I would be fine if they figured out a way to maybe build it into the console footprint itself and limit it to voice recognition.  It's sad that the PS4 recognizes me instantly with their PS4 little camera and I have to often tell the XBO it didn't recognize me.  Voice recognition and the system itself has gotten better for sure with the patches (when I first brought it home, the system was riddled with issues where I basically had to hard reboot it every day).  With the patches, it's been a few weeks since I've had to hard reboot the thing and, in general, voice recognition seems to work better, though I wish it would lower the volume of the system when I say "XBox" so that it could then hear the rest of what I am saying.  Trying to talk when people are a room over talking loudly or even during commercials rarely works.

But, my worry here is now that they will sell this Kinectless SKU, that they won't continue to work on the voice, which I do think the best thing about Kinect is (and something you don't actually need the camera for).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: May 14, 2014, 01:27:01 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 14, 2014, 12:44:58 AM

I must be in the minority because I love the Kinect - not for games or motion stuff, but for the voice integration. The only time I pick up a controller is to play a game - other than that it's all voice navigation. My wife loves it because she could never figure out how to use my universal remote or switch inputs on the receiver. With the XB1, she doesn't have to. She just tells it what she wants to do and it does it.

The voice stuff could arguably be done a lot cheaper without the cameras etc, just look at the Amazon Fire TV.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: May 14, 2014, 01:31:47 AM »

Yeah, in my household the voice commands are relatively nifty and handy, but the Kinect camera gets zero use other than user identification (which is admittedly also relatively nifty and handy).  I haven't made my XB1 my One System to Rule All, though, so most of the time the voice commands speed up just the oh so rough task of launching a game or movie. Actually, blu-rays autoplay when I stick the disc in, so even that voice command isn't needed.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: May 14, 2014, 01:54:51 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 14, 2014, 12:44:58 AM

The thing that really irritates me about people being so vehemently against the Kinect is that I feel like they're intentionally hindering technological progress. So the voice integration may not be perfect, but it's a stepping stone to voice recognition in our devices that is close to perfect. And if you kill the Kinect, you scare companies away from improving that technology or innovating in other areas. Those people may be happy playing the same console they played in 1995 just with better graphics. I'm not.

It seriously sickens me that we've become so jaded and cynical as a society that we can't even be wowed by being able to speak to our game console or have our heartrate read through a motion sensor. Stuff that as a kid I would have seen as magical and wondrous. Now it's just FUCK THIS SHIT BEING FORCED DOWN MY THROAT! I WANT TO GO BACK TO THE PIONEER DAYS AND CHURN MY OWN BUTTER! WAAAAAHHHHHHH! Ironically these are the same people who get mad because Call of Duty 14 is the same thing as Call of Duty 13 with slightly better graphics.

But you know what? The people have spoken. They just want an incremental graphical upgrade to their previous console of TEN YEARS AGO. At least Microsoft can stop innovating now and we can all be mindless drones who just buy the same product over and over again as long as the model number is incremented by one.

We're not paying $400 to be beta testers.  

It is not acceptable to promise an technological gadget then deliver something that doesn't work and expect people to be okay with it because it might be cool some day when it does work.  People have a right to be upset about that.  Especially when, instead of working hard to make it better, to integrate it better, half a year later, they basically kill it.  It's not being jaded.

The first E3, when the Kinect was introduced, it looked revolutionary.  The promise of this thing was massive and readily apparent.  A year later at E3, it seemed less so.  Then they released a product that they admit was gimped to make it affordable.  Many bought and raved about it, even here.  Then, over time, it became apparent that it was kinda worthless.

But wait!  Remember how we said we had to keep things out of it?  Well, we're putting all that stuff into Kinect 2.0.  This is what Kinect was supposed to be all along.  Plus it's fantastically and permanently integrated with the console itself.

And barely feels any better at all.  Hands are still twitching all over the place.  Commands have to be repeated multiple times.  People aren't being recognized.  The thing still doesn't want to see my floor.

To say that we should be grateful that anything was given to us at all, that we should just grin and bear it and keep paying Microsoft until they get it right is just...no.  No.

Huh.  Maybe I do have some feelings about Kinect after all.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:44:18 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3338 on: May 14, 2014, 03:06:11 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 14, 2014, 01:54:51 AM

The first E3, when the Kinect was introduced, it looked revolutionary.  The promise of this thing was massive and readily apparent.  A year later at E3, it seemed less so.  Then they released a product that they admit was gimped to make it affordable.  Many bought and raved about it, even here.  Then, over time, it became apparent that it was kinda worthless.

I remember that. I was with my brother who won a contest and the prize was for two to go to see the Xbox Press Conference that year. The Kinect looked amazing. Utterly amazing. And Peter Molyneu's (however you spell his name anyhow) demo with it was even more so.

Of course his demo never came to life, and Kinect was...well, it was never properly supported...in both last generation and now this one. And it could never do the things shown on video, either (at least not to that accuracy, anyhow). It was a good idea, but the technology (still) isn't there. And it's really hurting the XB1 right now, as it eats a fair chunk of processing power to do pretty much nothing.

Wonder if the Kinectless-XB1s will have that processing power restored. I doubt it, now that I think about it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: May 14, 2014, 04:00:30 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 13, 2014, 06:58:29 PM

I'm not interested yet, but they are getting closer to being in a place that I will be.  They might be able to put together a compelling bundle for the holidays now.

I might be tempted for a holiday bundle if they have some games I really want to play by then.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: May 14, 2014, 05:15:56 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 14, 2014, 03:06:11 AM

Wonder if the Kinectless-XB1s will have that processing power restored. I doubt it, now that I think about it.

Dropping Kinect could free up extra processing power in Xbox One.

The console's architecture gives the game operating system a fixed reservation of CPU power and the same is true for Kinect, he said.

"We have special processors for Kinect that enables a bunch of really cool things like part of what you saw today, when Yusuf was like in Internet Explorer and said 'Go to home' or 'Go to ESPN'," Kilgore said at the time. "He also said 'Go to Halo' and when he was in Halo he could have gone somewhere else. So the system is always listening, kind of outside of the game, which is really different from the 360 model, once you get into the game, it's really only the game code that is running. So we can extend all that in our system versus it being tied up in the game code."

But Mehdi said that could change now.

"We are in discussions with our game publishers about what we might do in this space and we will have more to talk about soon," he said.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3341 on: May 14, 2014, 05:36:09 AM »

Interesting. Problem being is that you can't expect that extra processing power to be available to use in the first place. And people might be rather upset that the console without Kinect would get extra FPS/graphical details because they have the power to spare.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3342 on: May 14, 2014, 06:36:28 AM »

The CPU reserved for Kinect has actually been available to developers since before launch. This functionality was unlocked in one of the pre-release SDK updates, if I recall correctly. It used to be that the Xbox One reserved roughly 10% of the total CPU power for Kinect at all times, but that update changed it so that a game developer could turn off Kinect support in their game and reduce the reserved CPU to 3% instead of 10%.

One interesting difference between the PS4 and the Xbox One is that the former also has voice recognition (though a weaker implementation of it), but that it's accessible through any microphone. One has to wonder if Microsoft will do something similar now that they're partly abandoning the Kinect.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: May 14, 2014, 06:42:13 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 14, 2014, 05:36:09 AM

Interesting. Problem being is that you can't expect that extra processing power to be available to use in the first place. And people might be rather upset that the console without Kinect would get extra FPS/graphical details because they have the power to spare.
This is what I'm wondering. What a middle finger it would be to the first adopters to end up having a less powerful console than everyone who was smart enough to wait.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: May 14, 2014, 07:26:48 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 14, 2014, 06:42:13 AM

Quote from: Destructor on May 14, 2014, 05:36:09 AM

This is what I'm wondering. What a middle finger it would be to the first adopters to end up having a less powerful console than everyone who was smart enough to wait.

Yeah. Noones  perfect , but they certainly screwed up and now are painted into a corner . I remember reading that Microsoft said this impossible. Numerous times.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: May 14, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »

It WAS impossible if they wanted to follow their proposed business plan.  I don't think anyone said it was technically impossible to scrap it completely and free it up.  This is a bummer and sadly is where companies often end up when people get stubborn.  Given enough time I do think they could have made it work, they probably should have just continued with their original plan and release date instead of changing it up in the first place.  Their first compromises kinda forced their hand on these latest ones as well imo.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3346 on: May 14, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »

One interesting tidbit about this whole price cut is that in certain countries -- like Australia and Canada, and most likely also the Scandinavian countries when it's released there this fall -- the Xbox One will now be cheaper than the PS4 by roughly $50. This is a result of those markets using the popularity of the PS4, and its lack of supply, to bump up prices.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: May 14, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »

My keen powers of observation tell me this discussion is getting way far away from the pros and cons of the Xbox One.  I know some of you feel misunderstood or attacked but rather than trying to get people to understand each other lets just drop it for now and worry about if dropping the kinect will help or hurt the XBone.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: May 14, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on May 14, 2014, 02:27:32 PM

My keen powers of observation tell me this discussion is getting way far away from the pros and cons of the Xbox One.  I know some of you feel misunderstood or attacked but rather than trying to get people to understand each other lets just drop it for now and worry about if dropping the kinect will help or hurt the XBone.

what? But thats exactly what people are discussing?

edit: Nevermind - I apparently missed an entire page!

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: May 14, 2014, 02:34:54 PM »

Zumba developer's take:

Quote from: Zoe
"We've been closely involved with Microsoft over the last few years and I imagine this decision wasn't taken lightly, but it's understandable as they need to compete with the PS4 on price," he told Develop. "However, whilst it wasn't perfect, Kinect helped differentiate the platforms, which can only be a good thing.

"From a developer point of view its a shame, as it all but kills the chances of making an original Kinect title unless it is a major licensed Fitness or Dance product and even those will suffer as its unlikely well see Kinect 2 units even come close to the installed base of the original now. Even then it was a challenge.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: May 14, 2014, 03:27:12 PM »

Refund for XBL Gold Membership after the announcement of paywall coming down for some Apps.   Its prorated of course

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: May 14, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »

It's great to see these major shifts happening.  The new guy really does seem to want to make this work.

I'm going to assume they have some major announcements lined up for E3, otherwise I don't know why they wouldn't just wait a month to pop these announcements out then  Maybe they weren't confident in the public reaction.

Which actually brings me to one of the big problems I see with dumping the Kinect.  I think this hurts the Xbox more than helps it.  Sure, it's getting the price to a competitive point and getting rid of something that doesn't work and wasn't something most gamers wanted anyway, but I think the cost is that it makes the company seem like a follower at best and aimless to boot.

Getting rid of this thing that was meant to be a driving force of the system, that was a key part of their messaging, really makes it seem like they don't know what the hell the Xbone is. And why should the consumer know any better? 

Additionally, with all the me too actions they've been taking (free apps, no Kinect, Games with Gold), they really seem to be putting themselves into the runner-up slot firmly.  And with a similar price point (or even less in some markets) and continual reports of being the weaker machine, why would anyone who has to choose pick the Xbone?  Even if they put some of that processing power back into the system, it's going to be a long haul to overcome the perception, and it'll just make the product confusing to the casual gamer anyway.

Maybe this is all set up for a brilliant shift at E3.  Time will tell, I suppose.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: May 14, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 14, 2014, 03:39:55 PM

I'm going to assume they have some major announcements lined up for E3, otherwise I don't know why they wouldn't just wait a month to pop these announcements out then  Maybe they weren't confident in the public reaction.

The official line is that they wanted to get this announcement out of the way so that E3 could be just about the games.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: May 14, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »

Heh, just checking back here for the first time since I posted. Didn't realize my choice of words would cause such a discussion. To clarify I didn't mean I was forced to use the product if I bought it, I meant that in order to purchase an Xbox one I had to support MS's Kinect business strategy, which I had no interest in at all. I wanted a new Xbox but didn't want to support the direction they were taking because Kinect was bundled in, thus "forcing it upon me" (maybe "down my throat" was too melodramatic). Consumers like me voted with their dollars and MS is making a change because of it. I consider it a win.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: May 14, 2014, 04:03:22 PM »

I think we all should be more upset about the lack of quality games..  On both platforms.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: May 14, 2014, 04:11:32 PM »

Quote from: naednek on May 14, 2014, 04:03:22 PM

I think we all should be more upset about the lack of quality games..  On both platforms.

I think there have been plenty of great games. More than I have had time to play anyway.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3356 on: May 14, 2014, 04:18:33 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on May 14, 2014, 04:11:32 PM

I think there have been plenty of great games. More than I have had time to play anyway.

I agree, there have been quite a few good games already.  Besides, it's only 6 months into the new console lifetime, a dearth of quality games is typical at this point and is likely to be lengthened by much longer production cycles than in the past. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: May 14, 2014, 04:20:21 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on May 14, 2014, 03:55:05 PM

Heh, just checking back here for the first time since I posted. Didn't realize my choice of words would cause such a discussion. To clarify I didn't mean I was forced to use the product if I bought it, I meant that in order to purchase an Xbox one I had to support MS's Kinect business strategy, which I had no interest in at all. I wanted a new Xbox but didn't want to support the direction they were taking because Kinect was bundled in, thus "forcing it upon me" (maybe "down my throat" was too melodramatic). Consumers like me voted with their dollars and MS is making a change because of it. I consider it a win.

I bolded the key point that people who were debating Tilt were missing. That's how I understood your decision to not purchase a Kinect, even inadvertently as part of a discounted bundle package. You were signaling to Microsoft that not purchasing an XB1 was less about price and more about not supporting their Kinect strategy. I can dig that.

Also, like Tilt, I don't give a fuck about Halo, Forza, Gears of War, or Fable. Especially now that they aren't even being developed by the original teams. If Microsoft wants me to buy an XB1, I need an honest-to-God exclusive killer app (or two). Titanfall was a wet dream, not a Mario 64 or Final Fantasy 7 caliber system seller.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: May 14, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »

I'm happy and agree with Microsoft dumping Kinect. It has changed me from a "never buying" to a weak "maybe one day buying" an XBone. I think the lineups for all 3 consoles are so weak right now, even accounting for the earliness of the PS4/XBone lives to date.

I'm happy that the XBone is an option now since my buddy has one and loans me lots of 360 games. I am just in gaming doldrums now. There is no officially announced title that I am anticipating.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: May 14, 2014, 05:26:42 PM »

Sequel sequel sequel...
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: