http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 02:40:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 63591 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3240 on: April 08, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »

Well, this was fun.  And to be expected.

Seriously, though, even though I read through this tread in real time, I feel like I'm probably missing some obvious things.  Tips?  Was "tips" the wrong word again?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: April 09, 2014, 12:52:14 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 08, 2014, 10:44:43 PM

Seriously, though, even though I read through this tread in real time, I feel like I'm probably missing some obvious things.  Tips?  Was "tips" the wrong word again?

To be fair I chimed in and I don't even have a Bone to play with. (wait we're still talking about the Xbone right?)

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: April 09, 2014, 01:58:00 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 08, 2014, 10:44:43 PM

The UI is unintuitive but you pretty much need some direct trial & error to figure it out. You have to download a lot of apps (free) to get basic functionality, like playing blu-rays. You need to update the firmware on your controller. The Kinect needs to scan you nude for the initial setup. There used to be a lot more gotchas but the recent big UI update thankfully fixed a lot of them.
RuperT
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: April 09, 2014, 02:26:01 AM »

My favorite new feature has to be the trigger motors in the controllers; totally worth the money, and having the extra sticks on my coffee table.
I guess that's not fair.  The IR sync will also save me at least 8 button presses a year, plus I should count the environmental benefit of not producing the extra plastic required to prevent it from creaking in my hand like a wicker basket.
 thumbsdown
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:35:31 AM by RuperT » Logged

Live: MooseFoe
PSN: Rupyrt
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: April 09, 2014, 02:29:10 AM »

Brad Wardell (Galactic Civilizations/ Elemental Materials) claims that the DirectX 12 update will double the performance of the Xbox One:

“Xbox One is the biggest beneficiary; it effectively gives every Xbox One owner a new GPU that is twice as fast as the old one,” he added.
http://bgr.com/2014/04/07/xbox-one-directx-12-update/

TilT vs Brad faceoff anyone? smile
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: April 09, 2014, 02:35:50 AM »

I don't think Stardock has ever made a console game.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: April 09, 2014, 03:19:33 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 09, 2014, 01:58:00 AM

The UI is unintuitive but you pretty much need some direct trial & error to figure it out.

Good Lord, you can say that again. Emphasis on error until I turned off the "Instant On" option.  icon_frown

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: April 09, 2014, 12:23:51 PM »

Brad Wardell (Galactic Civilizations/ Elemental Materials) claims that the DirectX 12 update will double the performance of the Xbox One:

I'm really skeptical of claims like that. Other developers have spoken out against this article as well denying those claims. I think it will offer some improvement, but you have to be realistic.

However, I do think the Xbox's performance "woes" have been vastly over-exaggerated. There's only one title I think truly suffered from the Xbox hardware and that was Assassin's Creed IV - and that was mainly due to the oversharpening filter (which has been fixed) and not the resolution downgrade. I still sunk over 40 hours into that game.

I've seen the difference first-hand between Thief on PS4 and XB1 and if you didn't tell me which was which I doubt I could have told you. And the PS4 is not immune from frame rate issues - both Infamous and Thief have noticeable frame rate drops at times.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3248 on: April 09, 2014, 12:40:01 PM »

I'll try to stay out of this one (I've already made my view clear on DX12), but I'll say this: For Brad's sake, I hope he was either misquoted or taken out of context.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: April 09, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 09, 2014, 12:40:01 PM

I'll try to stay out of this one (I've already made my view clear on DX12), but I'll say this: For Brad's sake, I hope he was either misquoted or taken out of context.

If Brad made console games I would give some credence to that statement, but I seriously doubt his claims. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: April 09, 2014, 01:35:40 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 09, 2014, 12:48:50 PM

If Brad made console games I would give some credence to that statement, but I seriously doubt his claims. 

I'll second this. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: April 09, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »

even then, what would they port over that would begin to tax the console's capabilities?  SD isn't known for being a graphical powerhouse of gaming.  now, if Carmack or the CryTek guys had said this, I'd be more inclined to believe it. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: April 09, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 09, 2014, 12:48:50 PM

If Brad made PC games that demonstrated any sort of modern graphical prowess, I'd give some credence to that statement.  I've put 300+ hours into the Galactic Civilizations II trilogy, plus a few dozen into the Elemental debacle, and if he knows anything at all about producing bleeding-edge visuals or optimizations out of sophisticated hardware configurations, he's been keeping it a secret from his development team.

-Autistic Angel
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: April 09, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »

You won't get any argument from me, TiLT. That was a rather outlandish claim to make.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: April 09, 2014, 06:19:56 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 09, 2014, 05:21:36 PM

You won't get any argument from me, TiLT. That was a rather outlandish claim to make.

Dogs and cats living together!  Mass hysteria!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: April 09, 2014, 10:00:55 PM »

The only way the quotes make sense is if they are about the PC were DirectX has been a bone of contention with developers for years as becoming to bloated and inefficient. Hence we get the announcement of Mantle and now DX12.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: April 14, 2014, 07:56:16 AM »

Does anyone know if there's a way to calibrate the controller? One of mine is pulling to the left a little.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: April 14, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on April 14, 2014, 07:56:16 AM

Does anyone know if there's a way to calibrate the controller? One of mine is pulling to the left a little.

That comment next to a pic of Ron Jeremy speaks volumes.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: April 14, 2014, 11:21:06 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on April 14, 2014, 07:56:16 AM

Probably uder settings, but have you updated the controller yet?

NiM$
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: May 06, 2014, 07:49:34 PM »

Should it stay or should it go? When it comes to Microsoft’s Xbox business, that recurring question continues to haunt Microsoft executives. Investors have been making the case for breaking off the company’s Xbox division for some time now, and Xbox gamers continue to become enraged whenever the idea is mentioned. Now, Microsoft co-founder and former CEO Bill Gates has weighed in.

Speaking with Fox Business Anchor Liz Claman, Gates said that he would definitely support spinning Microsoft’s Xbox business into a separate company in the event that new CEO Satya Nadella made the decision to do so. “I’m absolutely for it,” he said.

http://bgr.com/2014/05/06/xbox-division-sale-bill-gates-opinion/

If Xbox is even slightly profitable for Microsoft, what would be the sense of spinning it off into it's own company?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: May 06, 2014, 08:31:16 PM »

For many companies, its not enough being profitable. In Denmark for instance Maersk (One of the worlds biggest shipping companies) divested itself of a retail chain that was profitable, but just not enough. The energy could be used on other parts that were MORE profitable.

Some companies create synergies though with other parts of their business, and I imagine Xbox does this.

A new one
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: May 06, 2014, 08:31:42 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on May 06, 2014, 07:49:34 PM

Should it stay or should it go? When it comes to Microsoft’s Xbox business, that recurring question continues to haunt Microsoft executives. Investors have been making the case for breaking off the company’s Xbox division for some time now, and Xbox gamers continue to become enraged whenever the idea is mentioned. Now, Microsoft co-founder and former CEO Bill Gates has weighed in.

Speaking with Fox Business Anchor Liz Claman, Gates said that he would definitely support spinning Microsoft’s Xbox business into a separate company in the event that new CEO Satya Nadella made the decision to do so. “I’m absolutely for it,” he said.

If Xbox is even slightly profitable for Microsoft, what would be the sense of spinning it off into it's own company?
I've been pondering the same question the past 2 days.  I think a primary advantage of spinning Xbox off as a separate entity would be to remove it as a constant target and distraction for the board and key shareholders.  It's an easy, high profile target.  Get the board focused back on MS core business.  

The downside would be that Xbox as a stand alone entity would be fully exposed without the insulation of the other MS divisions.  I think that's probably ok.  It might free the brand up to make better, consumer focused decisions without having to worry about having to seek approval from MS senior leadership.

If I were the CEO of Xbox, I'd want to get far away from the scrutiny of the current group of MS board members.  They're almost adversarial towards the Xbox brand.  MS senior leaders can do their best to act as a buffer, but board members can exert a lot of pressure and influence. Who would want to work in that environment?
fanneyjack
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: May 11, 2014, 06:54:18 AM »

The Xbox One is definitely better than the piece of garbage Xbox360.  I plan on buying the PS4  but I could possibly buy the Xbox One a few years later.  Definitely a much better system I must say.  I still don't understand why people bought the Xbox360 with it's Red Ring of Death, crapy controllers that take batteries, no Blu-ray player, poor graphics, and you have to pay money to play on line!  The Xbox One is definitely a step in the right direction for Microsoft.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:56:01 AM by fanneyjack » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: May 11, 2014, 03:11:50 PM »

Keep it up with the posts, you're bound to be real popular around here!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: May 11, 2014, 10:43:01 PM »

Quote from: fanneyjack on May 11, 2014, 06:54:18 AM

The Xbox One is definitely better than the piece of garbage Xbox360.  I plan on buying the PS4  but I could possibly buy the Xbox One a few years later.  Definitely a much better system I must say.  I still don't understand why people bought the Xbox360 with it's Red Ring of Death, crapy controllers that take batteries, no Blu-ray player, poor graphics, and you have to pay money to play on line!  The Xbox One is definitely a step in the right direction for Microsoft.

notsureifserious.gif
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: May 12, 2014, 02:08:58 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 06, 2014, 08:31:42 PM

Quote from: corruptrelic on May 06, 2014, 07:49:34 PM

I've been pondering the same question the past 2 days.  I think a primary advantage of spinning Xbox off as a separate entity would be to remove it as a constant target and distraction for the board and key shareholders.  It's an easy, high profile target.  Get the board focused back on MS core business.  

The downside would be that Xbox as a stand alone entity would be fully exposed without the insulation of the other MS divisions.  I think that's probably ok.  It might free the brand up to make better, consumer focused decisions without having to worry about having to seek approval from MS senior leadership.

If I were the CEO of Xbox, I'd want to get far away from the scrutiny of the current group of MS board members.  They're almost adversarial towards the Xbox brand.  MS senior leaders can do their best to act as a buffer, but board members can exert a lot of pressure and influence. Who would want to work in that environment?

I can't see spinning it off - in my mind,I see Kinect as part of Microsoft's next generation input tools.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: May 12, 2014, 07:15:57 AM »

Quote from: ATB on May 11, 2014, 10:43:01 PM

Quote from: fanneyjack on May 11, 2014, 06:54:18 AM

notsureifserious.gif
confused
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: May 13, 2014, 03:23:53 AM »

Sources: Xbox Live to remove Gold requirement for Netflix, Hulu

About FN time too, if you ask me.  This practice has been questioned by quite a few people inside MS and nobody ever responded with a decent, believable answer. 

although this probably means that other currently free services will be moved to the Gold service only.   disgust

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: May 13, 2014, 03:39:43 AM »

Quote from: Caine on May 13, 2014, 03:23:53 AM

Sources: Xbox Live to remove Gold requirement for Netflix, Hulu

About FN time too, if you ask me.  This practice has been questioned by quite a few people inside MS and nobody ever responded with a decent, believable answer. 

although this probably means that other currently free services will be moved to the Gold service only.   disgust

It's just incredibly hard to justify now that everything has Netflix on it, TVs, your Blu-Ray players, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, PS3/4, Wii, tablets, phones, refrigerators, toasters, microwaves...
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: May 13, 2014, 03:44:08 AM »

I've never understood the logic of someone buying a $500 console and paying $40/month for broadband and $60 a pop for games, then bitching about paying $5 a month for the online component.

I agree it shouldn't be part of the Gold requirement, especially since you can practically get Netflix on your vacuum cleaner these days, but I've never understood the total outrage it caused. It seemed so disproportionate to the actual "sin" they were committing.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: May 13, 2014, 04:30:50 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 13, 2014, 03:44:08 AM

I've never understood the logic of someone buying a $500 console and paying $40/month for broadband and $60 a pop for games, then bitching about paying $5 a month for the online component.

I agree it shouldn't be part of the Gold requirement, especially since you can practically get Netflix on your vacuum cleaner these days, but I've never understood the total outrage it caused. It seemed so disproportionate to the actual "sin" they were committing.

Because the Xbox is just a computer and every other computer/tablet/phone/desktop box doesn't charge me extra to use a pay service that more than likely costs them nothing to include. What is so special about the Xbox experience that I should have to pay even more to use Netflix on it? Is it that big of a deal? No, not really, just extremely poor customer relations. There are enough alternatives to the Xbox One that they need to try a bit harder for my money.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: May 13, 2014, 10:32:23 AM »

Quote from: Lee on May 13, 2014, 04:30:50 AM

Quote from: YellowKing on May 13, 2014, 03:44:08 AM

Because the Xbox is just a computer and every other computer/tablet/phone/desktop box doesn't charge me extra to use a pay service that more than likely costs them nothing to include. What is so special about the Xbox experience that I should have to pay even more to use Netflix on it? Is it that big of a deal? No, not really, just extremely poor customer relations. There are enough alternatives to the Xbox One that they need to try a bit harder for my money.

There is no MP experience (at least on the 360) nearly as complete, simple, and consistently excellent as that of XBL.  It can literally be had for 3.00 per month and is still the gold standard.  Amazing that they screwed it all up on the XB1.  But yes, netflix, amazon, etc should be available for silver.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: May 13, 2014, 11:31:49 AM »

I think the real reason is not because you can get Netflix on your toaster these days but because a particular toaster  called the PS4 is outselling the Xbox one by a wide margin.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: May 13, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 13, 2014, 11:31:49 AM

I think the real reason is not because you can get Netflix on your toaster these days but because a particular toaster  called the PS4 is outselling the Xbox one by a wide margin.

this

NiM$
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: May 13, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »

See what happens when your main competitor is kicking your ass.  Kinect-free version for 399.00

Hubris cost MS this round like Sony last gen.  Let's see if MS can continue to get better thumbsup

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: May 13, 2014, 03:15:20 PM »

Wow, how about that.  I really thought they were gonna dig in their heels on that one.  Maybe by the time they release the standalone Kinect add-on there will be some Kinect games out for it.   Tongue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: May 13, 2014, 03:15:45 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 13, 2014, 03:03:14 PM

See what happens when your main competitor is kicking your ass.  Kinect-free version for 399.00

Hubris cost MS this round like Sony last gen.  Let's see if MS can continue to get better thumbsup
:faceplant:   Beat that horse!
Oh, I imagine the threads on GAF are going nuclear right now as people dig up old posts of a 'kinect-less XB1 never gonna happen'

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: May 13, 2014, 03:21:04 PM »

Annnnd the horrible, terrible, useless shit that is Kinect is finally, mercifully, killed by its creator.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: May 13, 2014, 03:25:17 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 13, 2014, 03:21:04 PM

Annnnd the horrible, terrible, useless shit that is Kinect is finally, mercifully, killed by its creator.

I'd be happy with having paid extra for the Kinect if they'd just release some damn games. Hell, I'll take even an updated Kinectimals game to show the kids.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: May 13, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 13, 2014, 03:21:04 PM

I don't think it's useless as I get plenty of value using mines, but I understand your point.  Sadly, this generation is going to look like last gen with just better graphics.  I understand why MS had to change course, but I think the better option might have been dropping the Kinect version down to 399, but that's probably meant they would have been selling them for a loss.

Anyway, it's good that MS is responding to the consumer

NiM$
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: