http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 05:30:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 67772 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: March 01, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »

If you have the update preview installed, go to system settings and choose 'update controller' and follow the prompts.  This is the firmware fix for controllers and won't be able to be automatically done otherwise.  Bet a lot of people will miss this.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: March 01, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »

Wow.  I just read up on what the controller update does.  Yet another Titanfall related move by MS?

The "fix" has been added specifically at the request of Titanfall's development team, The Verge reported, in another sign of just how crucial Microsoft is treating the game's launch.

"It's just fixing the controller input, really," Titanfall design lead Justin Hendry explained. "It wasn't really where we felt it should be; it was a little overly twitchy with the current controls. Now it's fixed. We're happy with it."

It's almost like March 11 is turning into the true XB1 launch day.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: March 01, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »

It really is, and I think it will pay off big time. They should be able to ride the wave of Titanfall goodwill right into E3, where they'll get people hyped on Halo and Gears news. It was a rough start, but I believe MS is finally starting to right this ship.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: March 01, 2014, 08:45:49 PM »

All they're missing is a killer Kinect game to release in March.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: March 02, 2014, 12:27:18 AM »

The demo for sports rivals is a hoot. Not march, but it might be the 'killer ap'.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: March 02, 2014, 12:05:07 PM »

Don't know if anyone is interested but me, but it appears that my biggest complaint has been partially solved. Beta update allows Dolby surround sound through the optical out so older surround headphones work properly now. Unfortunately, the new batch connect to the controller, which will be stereo for the foreseeable future. As the mic doesn't work for the old headsets, there is still no complete surround sound headset with microphone solution for the Xbox one.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:06:59 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: March 02, 2014, 03:06:24 PM »

Don't forget the official headset mic adapter comes out on Titanfall Day. Not sure if that's what your headset needs, but it's what I've been waiting for for my Astro A40.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: March 02, 2014, 07:03:28 PM »

Yay.....hard drive space now shows  thumbsup

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: March 04, 2014, 10:17:08 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 02, 2014, 03:06:24 PM

Don't forget the official headset mic adapter comes out on Titanfall Day. Not sure if that's what your headset needs, but it's what I've been waiting for for my Astro A40.

I believe that the headset adapter doesn't do surround sound, only stereo.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: March 04, 2014, 01:28:24 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 04, 2014, 10:17:08 AM

Hmm, Astro took down their setup walkthrough I linked a few pages back in the thread, so now I'm all kinds of confused.  With the 360, I used optical out to go to my Mixamp for Dolby surround game audio, and I'd run a separate cord from the 360 controller to the headset so it could record my voice.  I assumed I'd be able to do the same arrangement with this new adapter, but I'm admittedly unsure now.  The only Astro official word I can find on their forums seems to support what I'm saying, but it's so sparse on details it's hard to be sure.

My impression was that I would still be getting game audio via optical out, same as I do now, and that I'd voice audio would go
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: March 05, 2014, 07:50:14 PM »

Is anyone trying to run another console through their X1? I just hooked my PS3 up to it for Stick of Truth and the lag is pretty noticeable (causes me to royally screw up the real time battle presses).

Of note: I am A) the current production software, not the beta B) Running 5.1 sound passthrough (noted as a beta feature) and C) Running through an AV receiver on top of that.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: March 05, 2014, 07:57:58 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 05, 2014, 07:50:14 PM

Is anyone trying to run another console through their X1? I just hooked my PS3 up to it for Stick of Truth and the lag is pretty noticeable (causes me to royally screw up the real time battle presses).

Of note: I am A) the current production software, not the beta B) Running 5.1 sound passthrough (noted as a beta feature) and C) Running through an AV receiver on top of that.
I thought that was known from launch and not really a recommended configuration because of that.  TV isn't impacted by lag and why it is fine for that.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: March 05, 2014, 07:59:44 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on March 05, 2014, 07:57:58 PM

Quote from: gellar on March 05, 2014, 07:50:14 PM

I thought that was known from launch and not really a recommended configuration because of that.  TV isn't impacted by lag and why it is fine for that.

Yeah I'd read some posts from people saying it worked for them in another forums... oh well.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: March 05, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »

Everything I ever read on the subject is that you could do it, but you won't want to because the lag is awful.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: March 05, 2014, 09:08:23 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 04, 2014, 01:28:24 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 04, 2014, 10:17:08 AM

Hmm, Astro took down their setup walkthrough I linked a few pages back in the thread, so now I'm all kinds of confused.  With the 360, I used optical out to go to my Mixamp for Dolby surround game audio, and I'd run a separate cord from the 360 controller to the headset so it could record my voice.  I assumed I'd be able to do the same arrangement with this new adapter, but I'm admittedly unsure now.  The only Astro official word I can find on their forums seems to support what I'm saying, but it's so sparse on details it's hard to be sure.

My impression was that I would still be getting game audio via optical out, same as I do now, and that I'd voice audio would go

It looks like the standard 25mm cord for Xbox 360 headset microphones will plug into the adapter, so if you're using SPDIF out for surround sound through your headset, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.  Yet, the MS support page only talks about stereo.  I'm willing to pick up an adapter and see what happens.  I'll let you guys know.

Gamertag = IkeV
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: March 05, 2014, 09:19:52 PM »

Well I think the idea is that you can just plug in regular headphones into the controller and listen to all game audio that way.  Listening that way would be just stereo, similar to how even optical out right now doesn't output surround (unless you've got the patch early access installed).  But just to make things more confusing, Astro says its stuff is smart enough to still get surround out of MS's stereo Dolby signal, and I can't tell if they're just blowing smoke or using an a looser definition of what surround sound is.

I guess we'll find out for sure in a week one way or another.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: March 05, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »

I had the patch early access last week, and the surround sound appeared to work through the SPDIF through by TB X42s.  Couldn't use the mic though. 

Gamertag = IkeV
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: March 05, 2014, 11:29:33 PM »

The patching system these guys use is so dumb. It supposedly went up last night, but I have it on Standby and it never downloaded anything.  Major Nelson has this to say:

How do you get the new update? For the vast majority of Xbox One owners who use “Instant On” (the low power state that allows you to instantly power up your console by saying “Xbox On”), the console automatically checks for updates when customers turn it off. This means that once we’ve made the March update available (late tonight, Pacific Time), the next time you turn your console off it will take the update during off-peak hours in your local time. Ultimately, you’ll see it sometime in the next day or two.

Great, so I have to just wait and hope by box downloads this thing.  Meanwhile, Sony lets me know there's a new patch and you can't get online until you update.  They also have a Check for Update option.  MS really should go this route.

I tried shutting the box down fully this morning and booting back up and it didn't prompt me to update.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: March 05, 2014, 11:50:05 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 05, 2014, 11:29:33 PM

The patching system these guys use is so dumb. It supposedly went up last night, but I have it on Standby and it never downloaded anything.  Major Nelson has this to say:

How do you get the new update? For the vast majority of Xbox One owners who use “Instant On” (the low power state that allows you to instantly power up your console by saying “Xbox On”), the console automatically checks for updates when customers turn it off. This means that once we’ve made the March update available (late tonight, Pacific Time), the next time you turn your console off it will take the update during off-peak hours in your local time. Ultimately, you’ll see it sometime in the next day or two.

Great, so I have to just wait and hope by box downloads this thing.  Meanwhile, Sony lets me know there's a new patch and you can't get online until you update.  They also have a Check for Update option.  MS really should go this route.

I tried shutting the box down fully this morning and booting back up and it didn't prompt me to update.

Wait, how does the PS4 do it?  It's not the same as the PS3, is it?  Despite the drawbacks of what you're describing about the XB1 way, that's vastly superior to the PS3 way.  When I turn on my console I almost always intend to use it right away.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: March 06, 2014, 12:51:58 AM »

Yeah the PS3 system was awful...especially since it had to update the entire firmware EVERY time, IIRC.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: March 06, 2014, 01:43:06 AM »

I messed around with the Project Spark beta a bit tonight. I had ZERO interest in this when it was announced at E3, but I must admit it's quite intriguing in practice. I'm not sure I'll ever have the patience to get serious and create any sort of deep game with it, but the toolset is pretty cool and I can't wait to see what other people with more time and motivation do with it.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: March 06, 2014, 02:40:23 AM »

Quote from: ATB on March 06, 2014, 12:51:58 AM

Yeah the PS3 system was awful...especially since it had to update the entire firmware EVERY time, IIRC.

I'm not talking about the fact that you had to download a huge file and apply it every time.  Both the PS3 and PS4 let you know there's a patch out there and even if it didn't, as soon as they put the patch up, you can ask it to go grab it.  You can't do that on the XBO.  I have to wait for the fates to deem it's time for my box to go grab it.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: March 06, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 06, 2014, 02:40:23 AM

Quote from: ATB on March 06, 2014, 12:51:58 AM

I'm not talking about the fact that you had to download a huge file and apply it every time.  Both the PS3 and PS4 let you know there's a patch out there and even if it didn't, as soon as they put the patch up, you can ask it to go grab it.  You can't do that on the XBO.  I have to wait for the fates to deem it's time for my box to go grab it.

They had the same system with WP7 back in the day (not sure about their follow up phones, since I dropped the platform as quickly as they did).  IIRC, it was tied to carrier, but even then, I remember waiting weeks after an update came out before actually being able to apply it.  Weeks filled with mounting frustration.

I'm sure it won't be weeks waiting for an Xbone update, but a staggered system is just ridiculous.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: March 06, 2014, 04:11:26 PM »

For the folks that don't like online FPS, MS is going to be offering Forza as a bundle as well in the near future
http://majornelson.com/2014/03/06/coming-soon-purchase-xbox-one-in-the-u-s-and-get-forza-motorsport-5/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:24:41 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: March 07, 2014, 02:43:20 PM »

I think I am finally going to turn the Quick Start feature off.  I know it's labeled as a beta, but I figured it would get better with each patch.  Instead, it has actually gotten worse.  Since the patch the other day, I have had two or three times where I turn it on and it just gets stuck and never turns on the TV/satellite/audio receiver and even when I manually turn them on, nothing is being displayed.  Have to power it fully down, turn it back on, and it works.  When I hear word that it is no longer a beta, I will turn it back on.  As much as people complained Sony didn't live up to their promise of suspending games across standby, I think they probably couldn't get it working right and instead of slapping it in as a beta, just kept it out until they can make it right.  I've had way too many times of having games crash when I launch them on the XBox and having to power down to get them to actually boot properly.  At least on the PS4, the Standby feature makes the console boot quicker and I have no issues with it.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: March 07, 2014, 04:39:10 PM »

I went to go turn the feature off and I don't see Beta next to the feature anymore.  Or maybe that was only on the 5.1 passthrough thing and I am misremembering?  Reading about turning it off and it will get rid of the XBox On feature, which I know my family really likes.  I'm torn between having this thing be easy for them to use and having to deal with all the issues that seem to come with it.  Maybe at the very least I will turn the game suspend thing off, but thinking about it, my issue yesterday with Killer Instinct wasn't like I had suspended that game.  I was launching it for the first time in a long time and it crashed when trying to start it multiple times.  Makes me think the Quick Star is the culprit.

Other XBO users...have you guys pretty much turned this feature off or do you use it (Quick Start).  If  you use it, do you have glitches like this?  I doubt it's the hardware as it seems like a very software-based thing.  Especially since a full power down seems to fix any issue I ever run into.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: March 07, 2014, 04:46:14 PM »

It was definitely a beta feature and definitely was shitty. Maybe they think its better with the new update?

I don't believe it changes the Xbox On functionality... I think its specific to game quick starts.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3107 on: March 07, 2014, 04:52:38 PM »

When you say Quick Start do you mean the Instant On power feature?  If so, I have that on and haven't had any problems.  But I certainly never enabled any beta game suspend features and can't find anything about that in the Settings now.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: March 07, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 07, 2014, 04:46:14 PM

It was definitely a beta feature and definitely was shitty. Maybe they think its better with the new update?

I don't believe it changes the Xbox On functionality... I think its specific to game quick starts.

The description for Energy Saving Mode vs. Quick Start says that Quick Start enables update downloads, XBox On, and turning on your TV box.  Maybe someone who has it on Energy Save can comment on whether you can turn it on with voice?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: March 07, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 07, 2014, 04:53:35 PM

The description for Energy Saving Mode vs. Quick Start says that Quick Start enables update downloads, XBox On, and turning on your TV box.  Maybe someone who has it on Energy Save can comment on whether you can turn it on with voice?

I don't think that was the beta feature... it was something to do with game suspending.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: March 07, 2014, 04:59:05 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 07, 2014, 04:52:38 PM

When you say Quick Start do you mean the Instant On power feature?  If so, I have that on and haven't had any problems.  But I certainly never enabled any beta game suspend features and can't find anything about that in the Settings now.  

I think it used to say Beta next to one of the options, but doesn't anymore.  I just checked the setting I am talking about and it is Energy Savings Mode vs. Instant On.  Having it on Instant On seems to lead to all kinds of issues which I have to resolve by doing a power down.  The things I have had happen:

1) Games crashing when I try to load them, even if I am not resuming them from a previous power-on.
2) Video not displaying.
3) Sound not happening
4) Miscellaneous other minor things.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: March 07, 2014, 05:00:03 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 07, 2014, 04:56:23 PM

The description for Energy Saving Mode vs. Quick Start says that Quick Start enables update downloads, XBox On, and turning on your TV box.  Maybe someone who has it on Energy Save can comment on whether you can turn it on with voice?

I don't think that was the beta feature... it was something to do with game suspending.

Game suspending is a checkbox you can check or uncheck if you have Instant On enabled.  I could have sworn it said Beta next to it in the past.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3112 on: March 07, 2014, 06:08:07 PM »

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I didn't see an option for Game Suspending, but maybe I missed it. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: March 07, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 07, 2014, 05:00:03 PM

Quote from: gellar on March 07, 2014, 04:56:23 PM

Game suspending is a checkbox you can check or uncheck if you have Instant On enabled.  I could have sworn it said Beta next to it in the past.

It did, but I think it's not there any more because it's on by default.  Also if you have energy savings on you can NOT use 'Xbox turn on' because the system actually turns off when you turn it off instead of suspending to await downloads and voice commands.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: March 07, 2014, 06:21:21 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 07, 2014, 06:17:20 PM

It did, but I think it's not there any more because it's on by default.  Also if you have energy savings on you can NOT use 'Xbox turn on' because the system actually turns off when you turn it off instead of suspending to await downloads and voice commands.

What settings do you run with in that regard?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: March 07, 2014, 09:09:31 PM »

LOL you stupid fucks: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/03/07/microsoft-is-using-your-data-to-target-political-ads-on-xbox-live/
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: March 07, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »

It's not like not having Xbox Live is going to prevent you from being the target of political ads from every other media stream you consume.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: March 07, 2014, 09:58:10 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 07, 2014, 06:21:21 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on March 07, 2014, 06:17:20 PM

What settings do you run with in that regard?

they are slowly getting better, but the suspend and voice on function still can cause some issues with games due to the way it is not releasing memory.  So many of the glitches with the XB1 have the 'turn it off and back on' solution and this is avoided by just turning it on manually when I want it.  The boot-up is quite a bit slower, but I just turn it on then read the web for a bit.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3118 on: March 07, 2014, 10:31:18 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 07, 2014, 09:41:23 PM

It's not like not having Xbox Live is going to prevent you from being the target of political ads from every other media stream you consume.

Oh well, that sure makes it okay then.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: March 07, 2014, 11:58:55 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on March 07, 2014, 09:41:23 PM

I have never encountered a political ad arriving through PSN, Steam, Origin, uPlay, Stardock, or GoG.  Until that changes, deciding not to have XBox Live will at least prevent me from being the target of political ads while I'm gaming.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: