http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 03:30:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 85637 times)
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: January 06, 2014, 02:29:26 PM »

At least with both consoles now you can simply plug the controller in and let it charge with the unit on standby. Apparently checking the charge level is another feature that MS will (allegedly) be adding in 'a future update'.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2961 on: January 06, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »

Quote from: Laner on January 06, 2014, 02:18:00 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 06, 2014, 08:15:25 AM

Quote from: Harpua3 on January 05, 2014, 09:06:37 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 05, 2014, 11:50:22 AM

I can't believe that Call of Duty Ghosts is nearly 40gig,WTF is up with that?..it doesn't look or run that much better than when i had the 360 version

And then there is Forza 5,again nearly 40gig,it makes me shudder that we are all asking for more tracks and wondering how much more space will be needed if Turn 10 do that for Forza 6

And another matter,we are what?..1 month into next gen and games are taking up 40 gig,with the Blu Ray being able to hold 50gig(That's still the case isn't it?),so sooner rather than later we could be back to 2+ discs per game,disc swapping and everything else

right?..or am i missing something?

and I am using Pin more than i did on the 360,just because i can get to stuff like Settings easier,rather than go looking for them in the apps or hope its been rotated on the Home screen

On ps4 I'm having the same thoughts. Not even two months in and I'm already only showing 242gb free...guess ill end up throwing a 1 or 2 tb drive in at some point. 1tb should have been the minimal for these drives if they require installs.

At least you can do that with the PS4,I understand you can't even use an external HDD on the One

It's coming in a system update

One thing I've been wondering about this feature is whether or not it will allow you to actually install games on external drives? Even USB 3.0 is considerably slower than an internal drive as far as I know, so how will games run from an external disk now that games rely much more on the HD than they did last gen?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: January 06, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »

Are you guys running into little weird issues here and there?  I came back home after two weeks away, turned on my XBO, and went to turn on TV for my daughter.  No audio from TV.  I could heard the system noises just fine.  Powered down the XBO completely and all was well.  I run into bizarre little issues here and there like this.  For instance, had an issue where IR stopped working for turning on and off the XBO until I completely powered it down and then turned it back on.  Just curious if you guys are running into little bugs like this.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2963 on: January 06, 2014, 03:25:27 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 06, 2014, 02:30:29 PM

Quote from: Laner on January 06, 2014, 02:18:00 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 06, 2014, 08:15:25 AM

Quote from: Harpua3 on January 05, 2014, 09:06:37 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 05, 2014, 11:50:22 AM

I can't believe that Call of Duty Ghosts is nearly 40gig,WTF is up with that?..it doesn't look or run that much better than when i had the 360 version

And then there is Forza 5,again nearly 40gig,it makes me shudder that we are all asking for more tracks and wondering how much more space will be needed if Turn 10 do that for Forza 6

And another matter,we are what?..1 month into next gen and games are taking up 40 gig,with the Blu Ray being able to hold 50gig(That's still the case isn't it?),so sooner rather than later we could be back to 2+ discs per game,disc swapping and everything else

right?..or am i missing something?

and I am using Pin more than i did on the 360,just because i can get to stuff like Settings easier,rather than go looking for them in the apps or hope its been rotated on the Home screen

On ps4 I'm having the same thoughts. Not even two months in and I'm already only showing 242gb free...guess ill end up throwing a 1 or 2 tb drive in at some point. 1tb should have been the minimal for these drives if they require installs.

At least you can do that with the PS4,I understand you can't even use an external HDD on the One

It's coming in a system update

One thing I've been wondering about this feature is whether or not it will allow you to actually install games on external drives? Even USB 3.0 is considerably slower than an internal drive as far as I know, so how will games run from an external disk now that games rely much more on the HD than they did last gen?

Quote from: wikipedia
USB 3.0 has transmission speeds of up to 5 Gbit/s, which is 10 times as fast as USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/s) before taking into account that USB 3.0 is full duplex whereas USB 2.0 is half duplex, giving USB 3.0 the potential total bandwidth if utilized both ways to 20 times that of USB 2.0.[5]

The bottleneck isn't the USB, it'll be the drive itself - and the internal drive is a Samsung 500GB internal 5400RPM drive, a 3GB/s throughput. I don't see USB.3 being an issue, except perhaps spin-up time if it puts the drive to sleep.

Also, MO, it was MS that stated they'll support external drives, and Sony has as well, though they stated back in sept. that you can't install games on external drives (so if you need more game space, go ahead and upgrade the internal one).

Frankly, I'd love to be able to drop an SSD into the XB1, but the cost for the size is yucky. If I can get away with an external USB3 housing, perhaps I'll be able to put some games on the external drive that will boot / read lickety-split.

This is all hypothetical of course.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: January 06, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 06, 2014, 03:13:29 PM

Are you guys running into little weird issues here and there?  I came back home after two weeks away, turned on my XBO, and went to turn on TV for my daughter.  No audio from TV.  I could heard the system noises just fine.  Powered down the XBO completely and all was well.  I run into bizarre little issues here and there like this.  For instance, had an issue where IR stopped working for turning on and off the XBO until I completely powered it down and then turned it back on.  Just curious if you guys are running into little bugs like this.

Yes, over the weekend I was watching Netflix and went back to watching TV, but the TV app wouldn't show the picture and was only sound.  I tried to do a soft reboot using my voice, but it wouldn't power down.  I eventually had to do a hard reboot

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: January 06, 2014, 05:53:25 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 06, 2014, 03:30:52 PM

Quote from: The Grue on January 06, 2014, 03:13:29 PM

Yes, over the weekend I was watching Netflix and went back to watching TV, but the TV app wouldn't show the picture and was only sound.  I tried to do a soft reboot using my voice, but it wouldn't power down.  I eventually had to do a hard reboot

Glad to hear it's not just me having this problem.  At launch I was getting it a lot, but I turned off the Beta Surround Sound and that seemed to cure it.  But lately it started happening again, and I've also had to do a hard reboot to make it go away.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: January 06, 2014, 07:20:18 PM »

Thanks for those who said about the External HDD coming to XB1,good to know,even if you can't put games on there,it's at least something

as for the controller,i will be getting a plug and play and just using the controller as a wired controller ..i had a wired controller for the past 3 years for 360 and loved it to pieces,no screwing about with the batteries(even the plug and plays for the 360 wouldn't last long,either the lead would stop working or the battery stopped charging,so i just got a wired controller)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2967 on: January 06, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »

No, it's Sony who said no to external game storage. MS hasn't said yes or no on games housed externally. With a .5TB internal drive (~360GB avail) they'd be stupid to NOT allow game installs on external disk.

The PnC lasts more than 30 hours (tested myself) on a single charge.

If you never EVER go wireless then don't bother with PnC, just get a long microUSB cable.
15 foot
10 foot
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:32:30 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: January 06, 2014, 07:56:20 PM »

Thanks Purge,sorry i got mixed up with the SONY/MS external games....gotta check out buying a MicroUSB cable,good idea and probably a lot cheaper than a PnC

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: January 06, 2014, 08:15:09 PM »

Two questions:

If one neglects to press the guide button when an invite pops up, what is the easiest way to find it again? 

HOw do you join a friend's party?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: January 06, 2014, 08:50:23 PM »

RTFM slywink

'Xbox, Show Notifications'

Go to the friends list, scroll right and there will be tiles of all the parties friends have, join them there unless they have been marked as invite only.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: January 07, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 06, 2014, 08:50:23 PM

RTFM slywink

'Xbox, Show Notifications'

Go to the friends list, scroll right and there will be tiles of all the parties friends have, join them there unless they have been marked as invite only.

This explains why i missed your invites, FWIW when I was on with Ike. smile
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: January 08, 2014, 07:49:38 PM »

This style of trolling was inevitable

http://kotaku.com/what-xbox-one-trolling-looks-like-1497193040
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2973 on: January 08, 2014, 08:04:03 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 08, 2014, 07:49:38 PM

Yeah, I've had similar things happen because of audio coming from my computer.  Frequently I'm listening to the GiantBombcast or watching some of their videos on my laptop as I play games on my Xbone, and they are always saying things that make my Xbox perk up its ears.  I think sometimes they are just trolling trying to shut off people's Xboxes.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2974 on: January 09, 2014, 08:34:44 PM »

Makes me glad that I don't own anything that's always listening to what's going on around me at all times. I really like being able to control what happens when I want it to happen.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2975 on: January 09, 2014, 10:59:58 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 09, 2014, 08:34:44 PM

Makes me glad that I don't own anything that's always listening to what's going on around me at all times. I really like being able to control what happens when I want it to happen.

It's a feature you can turn off, you know.   Roll Eyes

Sandwiches do fix everything.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: January 10, 2014, 02:42:39 AM »

People can also grab the remote while you're watching TV and change the channel. It doesn't mean remotes are terrible, it just means people can be assholes.  icon_biggrin
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: January 10, 2014, 10:59:21 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 09, 2014, 08:34:44 PM

I watched this video on my XB1 and it attempted to sign me out... I actually laughed.. It was kind of fun

NiM$
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: January 11, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 10, 2014, 02:42:39 AM

People can also grab the remote while you're watching TV and change the channel. It doesn't mean remotes are terrible, it just means people can be assholes.  icon_biggrin
this is why I carry Mace!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #2979 on: January 11, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »

I prefer Morningstar. Better range.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: January 16, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »

This box sure likes to do some goofy things sometimes.  Was watching a video on YouTube and my son walked in the room.  It logged him in and switched to his YouTube profile, killing the video I was watching.  I then switched back to my profile, but it wouldn't switch back to my YouTube profile, so I had to go to the home, kill the YouTube app, and then relaunch it.  Why did someone think it was a good idea to switch profiles just because someone else walked into the room?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: January 16, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 16, 2014, 03:26:25 PM

This box sure likes to do some goofy things sometimes.  Was watching a video on YouTube and my son walked in the room.  It logged him in and switched to his YouTube profile, killing the video I was watching.  I then switched back to my profile, but it wouldn't switch back to my YouTube profile, so I had to go to the home, kill the YouTube app, and then relaunch it.  Why did someone think it was a good idea to switch profiles just because someone else walked into the room?

Let's all pause for a moment and marvel at how The Grue is having issues with the Xbone seeing him.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: January 16, 2014, 04:05:52 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 16, 2014, 03:29:09 PM

Let's all pause for a moment and marvel at how The Grue is having issues with the Xbone seeing him.

Third time's the charm!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: January 16, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 16, 2014, 04:05:52 PM

Third time's the charm!

Each iteration of this joke is a unique snowflake with its own special qualities.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: January 16, 2014, 06:56:25 PM »

none of this stuff happens to me, no idea how yours is doing it.

If I'm watching something and my fiance walks in, it just has a pop up that says 'Hi Happy!' (her name on there) at the bottom, but everything continues as it should.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: January 16, 2014, 07:16:20 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 16, 2014, 06:56:25 PM

none of this stuff happens to me, no idea how yours is doing it.

If I'm watching something and my fiance walks in, it just has a pop up that says 'Hi Happy!' (her name on there) at the bottom, but everything continues as it should.

Just did a Google search on the subject and first reply was:

I set my wife up a profile so she can have her own favorites/pins/etc. I'd like kinect to auto sign her in too. That works fine, but there is a problem. I'll be mid match in killer instinct and she will walk in to the room and it will detect her and immediately switch to her profile... Killer instinct says profile changed so it must immediately return to the main menu... Shouldn't it just sign her in in the background or something? I have the controller in my hand, so shouldn't I stay as active profile? Is there a setting I'm missing? Thanks! -VK

Others saying they have the same issue in reply.  Looks like you have to turn of Kinect auto-sign-in for people to fix it.  I guess I expected it would just sign them in when they walk in and that's it...not actually switch over to their profile.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: January 16, 2014, 09:03:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 16, 2014, 04:38:09 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 16, 2014, 04:05:52 PM

This box sure likes to do some goofy things sometimes.  Was watching a video on YouTube and my son walked in the room.  It logged him in and switched to his YouTube profile, killing the video I was watching.  I then switched back to my profile, but it wouldn't switch back to my YouTube profile, so I had to go to the home, kill the YouTube app, and then relaunch it.  Why did someone think it was a good idea to switch profiles just because someone else walked into the room?

Third time's the charm!

Each iteration of this joke is a unique snowflake with its own special qualities.

We're all special!

Except for Grue.  Clearly his wife is the special one.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: January 16, 2014, 09:11:12 PM »

just odd, I have auto-signin on and it doesn't do that.  Maybe it's tied to the inability to see you?  It sees her enter and thinks you left? 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: January 16, 2014, 09:30:25 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 16, 2014, 09:11:12 PM

just odd, I have auto-signin on and it doesn't do that.  Maybe it's tied to the inability to see you?  It sees her enter and thinks you left? 

Could be.  It seems like Kinect has issues seeing me at times, for whatever reason.  The room it is in is usually fairly dark.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: January 17, 2014, 12:09:54 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 16, 2014, 09:30:25 PM

Could be.  It seems like Kinect has issues seeing me at times, for whatever reason.  The room it is in is usually fairly dark.

Well you're The Grue .. should be expected.

Seriously I hope your issues clear up

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: January 17, 2014, 02:39:45 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 17, 2014, 12:09:54 AM

Quote from: The Grue on January 16, 2014, 09:30:25 PM

Well you're The Grue .. should be expected.

Unique snowflake!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: January 24, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »

Does my Xbone distinguish between different voices?  Or maybe somehow do some magic with the camera to know who is talking?

Or put another way, can I do something up front to make sure my console doesn't obey my 3-year-old's commands?
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:24 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 24, 2014, 05:25:11 PM

Does my Xbone distinguish between different voices?  Or maybe somehow do some magic with the camera to know who is talking?

Or put another way, can I do something up front to make sure my console doesn't obey my 3-year-old's commands?

I don't think so.  Stupid question, but does your 3yr old have a gamertag?

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: January 24, 2014, 05:52:15 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 24, 2014, 05:41:24 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on January 24, 2014, 05:25:11 PM

I don't think so.  Stupid question, but does your 3yr old have a gamertag?

No, but if I can't block her entirely I'll at least make a profile for her so I can put parental controls on it.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: January 24, 2014, 06:21:31 PM »

It tries to tell who is talking.  My guess is it looks to see who has moving lips.  For example if my fiancee and I are both in the room and I say 'show my stuff' it puts my stuff up there.  If she says 'show my stuff' everything switches to her colors.  It definitely knows who is speaking.

Supposedly you can actually have it lock out non-age appropriate stuff simply when it detects the kid in the area.  Downside would be that would mean if your child walks in, it might dashboard your game if you are playing an inappropriate one.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: January 24, 2014, 06:27:40 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 24, 2014, 06:21:31 PM

Supposedly you can actually have it lock out non-age appropriate stuff simply when it detects the kid in the area.  Downside would be that would mean if your child walks in, it might dashboard your game if you are playing an inappropriate one.

Reminds me of the panic button hotkeys to bring up boss screens in games back in the day.  They should take it a step further and make my games swap over to a censored mode when a kid is present.  "I'm going to assassinate you with this sword--I mean, snuggle you with this cardboard tube so you'll take a nappy nap!"
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: January 24, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 24, 2014, 06:21:31 PM

For example if my fiancee and I are both in the room and I say 'show my stuff' it puts my stuff up there.

Nah. Too easy icon_twisted

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: February 02, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »

Man, is there an "Xbone Dashboard for Dummies" book out there? I wanted to buy my first digital download game and I had to go to the internet to see how to do it. Silly me, I had this crazy idea that the "Store" section would be the place to buy things. smile  You'd think they'd at least have a sticky note in the store section telling you where to go if you were looking for games.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: February 02, 2014, 10:58:10 PM »

I'm hopeful their big March update is going to overhaul all that. It boggles my mind they couldn't just steal the 360 dashboard (more or less), vs taking such a giant step backwards.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: February 02, 2014, 11:29:54 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 02, 2014, 09:28:54 PM

Man, is there an "Xbone Dashboard for Dummies" book out there? I wanted to buy my first digital download game and I had to go to the internet to see how to do it. Silly me, I had this crazy idea that the "Store" section would be the place to buy things. smile  You'd think they'd at least have a sticky note in the store section telling you where to go if you were looking for games.

I think your time away from gaming has affected things. (or effected things?  not sure how YOU prefer it)

I had no problem buying stuff when I first tried. It was in the Store section...
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: