http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:38:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 69192 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: November 26, 2013, 03:50:06 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 26, 2013, 03:27:20 AM

Quote from: JCC on November 26, 2013, 03:19:01 AM

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 26, 2013, 03:07:23 AM

Quote from: JCC on November 26, 2013, 12:35:50 AM

I will say the controller was AWESOME. Like the 360 but the sticks feel way better. Why oh why can't Sony give up the horrifically bad Dualshock design?! I am still yet to see a playable demo for either system anywhere, so I still haven't had a chance to hold the DS4.

If you had, you would know that they DID give up on the horrifically bad Dualshock design. The PS4 controller is excellent.

They still have the left stick in the position that is not my personal preference so I remain skeptical, but I would like to pick one up and feel it for myself.
Fixed that for you. Essentially, the controller difference is down to personal preference now.

Nah not really.   The Bone controller wipes the floor with even the improved DS4.    I could play the hell out of some Knack with the Bone controller.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2601 on: November 26, 2013, 04:51:29 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 26, 2013, 03:44:44 AM

They still have the left stick in the position that is not my personal preference so I remain skeptical, but I would like to pick one up and feel it for myself.
Fixed that for you. Essentially, the controller difference is down to personal preference now.

Sigh... yes, of course this is all in my opinion. I didn't really think that needed to be spelled out, but thanks. smile (added a smiley to make it clear I am just clowning around)

For the record the first gamepad I ever owned with an analog stick was a Dualshock 1, so it isn't like I had some MS/Nintendo preference before using a Sony controller. I just don't like having the main movement stick in the lower position since it feels so unnatural. Likewise, while I haven't yet held it, the new Wii U classic controller which has the right stick up where the buttons should be seems equally non-intuitive. In my oh so humble opinion of course. slywink

Trust me, I HATED Playstation controllers before this. I was extremely skeptical. Never thought I'd say I would like a Playstation controller as much as I like the DS4. It just feels really good in my hands. Not having offset sticks doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, either. After a significant amount of time with both new controllers I was shocked to realize that I much preferred the DS4.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2602 on: November 26, 2013, 04:53:05 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 26, 2013, 03:50:06 AM

I will say the controller was AWESOME. Like the 360 but the sticks feel way better. Why oh why can't Sony give up the horrifically bad Dualshock design?! I am still yet to see a playable demo for either system anywhere, so I still haven't had a chance to hold the DS4.

If you had, you would know that they DID give up on the horrifically bad Dualshock design. The PS4 controller is excellent.

Nah not really.   The Bone controller wipes the floor with even the improved DS4.    I could play the hell out of some Knack with the Bone controller.

the Bone's dainty little thumbsticks kill that controller for me. Cramp city.

Mike Dunn
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: November 26, 2013, 04:53:29 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 26, 2013, 04:51:29 AM

Quote from: JCC on November 26, 2013, 03:44:44 AM

Sigh... yes, of course this is all in my opinion. I didn't really think that needed to be spelled out, but thanks. smile (added a smiley to make it clear I am just clowning around)

For the record the first gamepad I ever owned with an analog stick was a Dualshock 1, so it isn't like I had some MS/Nintendo preference before using a Sony controller. I just don't like having the main movement stick in the lower position since it feels so unnatural. Likewise, while I haven't yet held it, the new Wii U classic controller which has the right stick up where the buttons should be seems equally non-intuitive. In my oh so humble opinion of course. slywink

Trust me, I HATED Playstation controllers before this. I was extremely skeptical. Never thought I'd say I would like a Playstation controller as much as I like the DS4. It just feels really good in my hands. Not having offset sticks doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, either. After a significant amount of time with both new controllers I was shocked to realize that I much preferred the DS4.

I've sort of ended up the same.  I just used my 360 controller again and it felt weird.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #2604 on: November 26, 2013, 05:22:06 AM »

I don't get the "dainty" or cramp city. Just played DR3 for the better part of today, including LS and RS button pushing.

The LB/RB however, should have been a bit more solid and extended a little wider.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: November 26, 2013, 05:23:58 AM »

I'm really liking the XB1 controller myself.  I wonder if they'll make a wireless adapter for the PC like they did for the 360 controller.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: November 26, 2013, 05:48:36 AM »

Experimented tonight with snapping TV while using the fitness app.  Video was choppy and the audio was too loud on the snapped TV feed.  I can see it working if they fix the audio issue.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2607 on: November 26, 2013, 06:28:01 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 23, 2013, 08:05:26 AM

So, it turns out my issue is a known issue and they need to send me a replacement.  frown  At least they are sending it to me immediately as an advance exchange and then I send my broken one back, but that's still a really shitty launch experience.

According to the replacement support lady I talked with, this issue (getting stuck updating around 79%) is really common for them tonight and they're just replacing the systems whole hog no questions asked.

So, I checked the status of this today and apparently the support lady was not quite so nice and instead put me in for a Standard Exchange instead of the Advance.  Which means it may take up to 2 weeks to get my new console...

crybaby

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: November 26, 2013, 07:40:31 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 26, 2013, 06:28:01 AM

So, it turns out my issue is a known issue and they need to send me a replacement.  frown  At least they are sending it to me immediately as an advance exchange and then I send my broken one back, but that's still a really shitty launch experience.

According to the replacement support lady I talked with, this issue (getting stuck updating around 79%) is really common for them tonight and they're just replacing the systems whole hog no questions asked.

So, I checked the status of this today and apparently the support lady was not quite so nice and instead put me in for a Standard Exchange instead of the Advance.  Which means it may take up to 2 weeks to get my new console...

crybaby

As Leo posted on the last page MS are giving free games to those affected from the Disc Drive of Doom,however if your Xbox Bricked Engine you don't get to play on your purchase either,i would ring Customer Support up again,explain everything and demand your free game

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: November 26, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 25, 2013, 03:06:22 PM

This probably doesn't help the XBox's chances in Europe.

The Xbox One's TV integration suffers noticeable judder in the UK, tests have revealed.

Website HDTVTest.co.uk first flagged up the problem, which occurs when you run a live TV feed from your set-top box, such as a Freeview HD, Sky or Virgin Media box, into Microsoft's console using the HDMI-in port.

The UK and Europe use a 50Hz broadcasting system. The Xbox One outputs at 60Hz, so if you feed it a 50Hz HDMI source, one out of every six frames will be a duplicate, causing judder.

Pretty sure my TV has 60hz,as i am sure i remember certain games needing it

its a SONY Bravia KDL-32X300 if that means anything to anyone

EDIT: Yeah my 360 copy of Oblivion has the 60hz logo on the front cover,as does Final Fantasy 11

pretty sure i played them on my old SONY Wega as well

so i should be okay with this problem people seem to be having?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:18:16 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2610 on: November 26, 2013, 08:23:34 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 26, 2013, 08:11:33 AM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 25, 2013, 03:06:22 PM

This probably doesn't help the XBox's chances in Europe.

The Xbox One's TV integration suffers noticeable judder in the UK, tests have revealed.

Website HDTVTest.co.uk first flagged up the problem, which occurs when you run a live TV feed from your set-top box, such as a Freeview HD, Sky or Virgin Media box, into Microsoft's console using the HDMI-in port.

The UK and Europe use a 50Hz broadcasting system. The Xbox One outputs at 60Hz, so if you feed it a 50Hz HDMI source, one out of every six frames will be a duplicate, causing judder.

Pretty sure my TV has 60hz,as i am sure i remember certain games needing it

its a SONY Bravia KDL-32X300 if that means anything to anyone

EDIT: Yeah my 360 copy of Oblivion has the 60hz logo on the front cover,as does Final Fantasy 11

pretty sure i played them on my old SONY Wega as well

so i should be okay with this problem people seem to be having?

I'm no expert on this, but I don't think you're okay. That your TV can show 60hz is nothing special today, but it makes no difference to the problem itself, which has to do with the source. By the time the Xbox One feeds your TV with a 60hz signal, it's already been messed up because the Xbox One converts the 50hz signal to 60hz by duplicating frames. If you feed the 50hz source directly to your TV, it will automatically detect this and display at 50hz instead of its usual 60hz, resulting in no issues at all.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: November 26, 2013, 08:28:07 AM »

hmm,that's a bit disappointing,hopefully MS can patch this before i get myself a xb1

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: November 26, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 26, 2013, 01:38:20 AM

Great news for Soul and others...if your Xbone drive broke, MS will give you a free game!

http://kotaku.com/did-your-xbox-one-disc-drive-break-you-get-a-free-game-1471573359

sweet I need to call back for me free code

btw, my drive worked perfectly yesterday.  Both games I inserted worked without any issues, but I am still returning it..  I have a feeling its a slip gear not engaging properly

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: November 26, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »

crybaby
that sucks.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: November 26, 2013, 11:52:16 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 26, 2013, 10:46:48 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 26, 2013, 01:38:20 AM

Great news for Soul and others...if your Xbone drive broke, MS will give you a free game!

http://kotaku.com/did-your-xbox-one-disc-drive-break-you-get-a-free-game-1471573359

sweet I need to call back for me free code

btw, my drive worked perfectly yesterday.  Both games I inserted worked without any issues, but I am still returning it..  I have a feeling its a slip gear not engaging properly
it's probably better to play it safe, even if it seems to be working fine.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: November 26, 2013, 11:53:22 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 26, 2013, 05:22:06 AM

I don't get the "dainty" or cramp city. Just played DR3 for the better part of today, including LS and RS button pushing.

it's because

Spoiler for Hiden:
it doesn't say PS4 or Sony on it slywink

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: November 26, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 25, 2013, 04:25:02 PM

Be forewarned MS might ban you if you swear  using Skype and Upload Studio MS is stupid 

I can understand Upload Studio... not really but okay, but private Skype calls..  WTF MS
It sounds like you don't get banned for for swearing on Skype but if you're Gold account gets banned as a result of swearing then you can no longer use Skype as it requires Xbox Live Gold. All the more reason not to have all of your apps behind a paywall.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: November 26, 2013, 01:36:20 PM »

Once you move your account to the XB1 can you still login on the 360 as well? Or is it one and done?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: November 26, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 26, 2013, 01:36:20 PM

Once you move your account to the XB1 can you still login on the 360 as well? Or is it one and done?

You don't move accounts.. You just log into your live account.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2619 on: November 26, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 25, 2013, 03:07:34 PM

This type of North American-centric thinking seems pretty representative of the problems MS has had in the past (huge controllers and consoles in Japan) and possibly in the future with the Xbox One.

The S controller was designed specifically for the Japan launch.  I don't deny that there are examples of Microsoft being tone-deaf to other parts of the world, but that wasn't one of them.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: November 26, 2013, 03:57:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 26, 2013, 11:53:22 AM

Quote from: Purge on November 26, 2013, 05:22:06 AM

it's because

Spoiler for Hiden:
it doesn't say PS4 or Sony on it slywink

Come on, now.  It was clearly a response to the baiting comment just before it.

Nah not really.   The Bone controller wipes the floor with even the improved DS4.    I could play the hell out of some Knack with the Bone controller.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2621 on: November 26, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 26, 2013, 07:40:31 AM

crybaby

As Leo posted on the last page MS are giving free games to those affected from the Disc Drive of Doom,however if your Xbox Bricked Engine you don't get to play on your purchase either,i would ring Customer Support up again,explain everything and demand your free game

Yeah, I did call them last night to figure out wtf was going on and ask how long it would be and they offered me the free game as a concession.  The sad part is that they were apparently not going to give that out to anybody except those affected by the disc drive error.  So they figure people whose console is just totally screwed as a result of bad firmware aren't worth retaining as customers or something...

Anyway, I chose a free copy of Ryse since I already have DR3 and Zoo Tycoon and I'm waiting on Forza.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: November 26, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 26, 2013, 07:40:31 AM

So, it turns out my issue is a known issue and they need to send me a replacement.  frown  At least they are sending it to me immediately as an advance exchange and then I send my broken one back, but that's still a really shitty launch experience.

So, I checked the status of this today and apparently the support lady was not quite so nice and instead put me in for a Standard Exchange instead of the Advance.  Which means it may take up to 2 weeks to get my new console...

crybaby

Yeah, and if still unresponsive, I would make sure to (very nicely) explain to them that you will be sure to use the 2 weeks you have to wait to go on every single gaming site, article comment section, and forum you can find to rail against the Xbox One and advise people to save their money.

Nicely.   Always be a gentleman.

I'm going for a Seinfeld approach here when he was renting the car and they didn't hold a standard size for him.   They asked him if he wanted insurance and he very nicely said 'yeah you better give me the insurance because I'm going to beat the hell out of this thing'.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: November 26, 2013, 05:13:47 PM »

While I'm calling on Hetz in the Ryse thread, I'll summon him here as well.

What do you think of the Bone?    You have a PS4 like I do, and also a Bone.   You decided to get the Bone on the eve of launch.   What are your impressions after playing it over the weekend?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: November 26, 2013, 05:42:20 PM »

Something we realized while playing last night - you can't talk about the xbox while playing the xbox, because it keeps bringing up the menus smile

So we need to come up with an appropriate code word for the xbox. Something along the lines of "sham-boogie" or "sleestak" might work.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2625 on: November 26, 2013, 05:43:13 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 26, 2013, 05:42:20 PM

Something we realized while playing last night - you can't talk about the xbox while playing the xbox, because it keeps bringing up the menus smile

So we need to come up with an appropriate code word for the xbox. Something along the lines of "sham-boogie" or "sleestak" might work.

how about.... 'xbone'?

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2626 on: November 26, 2013, 05:57:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 26, 2013, 05:23:58 AM

I'm really liking the XB1 controller myself.  I wonder if they'll make a wireless adapter for the PC like they did for the 360 controller.
probably when they officially support the controller on PC next year.  too bad they had to go and change that as well.  I'm waiting to see how well they support it on PC before I get one as if it's not integrated in natively, it's a bit of a hassle to set it up each time.  hoping the DS4 also gets better in this regard as the touchpad would make an awesome steam-box controller.

in any case, I need to try one out myself, but when comparing the DS4 to the current line up, it's like this for me
DS3<<<<<360=<DS4

It is a huge improvement over the DS3, so much so that I feel they should patch full support back into the PS3.  compared to the 360, it's much sleeker and has a better set of analog pads, comparable triggers and shoulders and a much better D-pad. 

I think Sony should have launched the system with both equal and offset analog sticks.  it would beat having to modify a 360 controller or go 3rd party. 

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: November 26, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »

I don't think I understand the offset sticks vs. not-offset sticks debate, possibly because I have no preference on way or another.  I just put my thumbs on the sticks wherever they happen to be.  The angle difference just never registered with me, and the 360 and PS3 controllers always seemed equally comfortable.

What is it that people are debating exactly?  Is it a matter of wrist comfort, directional accuracy, or just an issue of habit?

-Autistic Angel
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: November 26, 2013, 10:09:39 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 26, 2013, 10:03:55 PM

I don't think I understand the offset sticks vs. not-offset sticks debate, possibly because I have no preference on way or another.  I just put my thumbs on the sticks wherever they happen to be.  The angle difference just never registered with me, and the 360 and PS3 controllers always seemed equally comfortable.

What is it that people are debating exactly?  Is it a matter of wrist comfort, directional accuracy, or just an issue of habit?

-Autistic Angel

I think it's partly a false issue.  The DS3 was just bad and there's some false association that the reason it was was because of the stick placement, whereas the 360 controller was good with the offset placement.   Now the DS4 is a good controller (great even) and it uses the symmetrical sticks and I think goes a fair way to prove that the offset v symmetric argument is kind of meaningless, when really it's more about the overall quality of the controller.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: November 26, 2013, 11:14:59 PM »

I have always preferred offset vs next to each other. I greatly prefer the Wavebird and 360 controller to that of the Wii classic controller and dual shocks 1-3. It just feels more natural and comfortable to me. I truly hope the ds4 is different, but i have my doubts. I still haven't held one yet.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: November 26, 2013, 11:18:46 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 26, 2013, 11:14:59 PM

I have always preferred offset vs next to each other. I greatly prefer the Wavebird and 360 controller to that of the Wii classic controller and dual shocks 1-3. It just feels more natural and comfortable to me. I truly hope the ds4 is different, but i have my doubts. I still haven't held one yet.

plus Nintendo just has to be different with the buttons placement. B where A should be, X where Y should be.  I don't know how many times I've been playing a game on the Wii/Wii U and exited a menu thinking I was hitting A when I was hitting B.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: November 26, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »

I picked up my DS4 today and I think what my real problem with it is that it's a bit slippery. If there was more grip to the handles I would have less of an issue keeping my fingers on the triggers.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: November 26, 2013, 11:21:24 PM »

-Autistic Angel

I'm with you on this one.  I don't care either way.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: November 27, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »

My main issue with parallel sticks is that your thumbs can hit if you're looking left while moving right.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2634 on: November 27, 2013, 12:52:01 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 27, 2013, 12:36:20 AM

My main issue with parallel sticks is that your thumbs can hit if you're looking left while moving right.

They are wider apart from each other on the DS4. Not really an issue now. (Yeah, I had the same problem with the DS3)

Mike Dunn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2635 on: November 27, 2013, 01:08:51 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 26, 2013, 05:42:20 PM

I suggest we pick one of these:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Father of Lies
Sightblinder
Lord of the Grave
Lord of the Twilight
Shepherd of the Night
Heartsbane
Soulsbane
Ba'alzamon
Heartfang
Old Grim
Grassburner
Leafblighter 
Father of Storms
Caisen Hob or "Old Hob"
Lighteater

slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: November 27, 2013, 01:16:04 AM »

Voldemort!  or maybe Derek Smart!

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2637 on: November 27, 2013, 01:19:00 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 26, 2013, 11:21:24 PM

I don't think I understand the offset sticks vs. not-offset sticks debate, possibly because I have no preference on way or another.  I just put my thumbs on the sticks wherever they happen to be.  The angle difference just never registered with me, and the 360 and PS3 controllers always seemed equally comfortable.

What is it that people are debating exactly?  Is it a matter of wrist comfort, directional accuracy, or just an issue of habit?

-Autistic Angel

I'm with you on this one.  I don't care either way.

If it were habit, for me the DS3's shoulder buttons were awkward on my hand position as well as the stick position.

Now, if we were going to cast habit issues on table, I tend to hate the Nintendo reversal of X/O or A/B and often accidentally "cancel" instead of "OK".

Edit: Apparently CeeKay and I are on the same wavelength. I didn't catch up to the end of the thread before posting. ninja

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: November 27, 2013, 02:08:11 AM »

Yep. biggrin

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2639 on: November 27, 2013, 04:37:34 AM »

ok.  got a chance to try the XB1 controller tonight, at least the mockup.  the weight is good, much lighter than the bulky 360.  the triggers seem to be ok, but without a chance to play at the demo kiosk, it's hard to know how well.  face buttons are better, as is D-pad.  the only thing I don't like right off the bat is the bumpers.  they aren't angled such that my fingers rest on them; they keep slipping off. 

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: