http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 10:36:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 81224 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: November 24, 2013, 05:08:47 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 24, 2013, 04:06:18 AM

Welp, my xbox one will no longer recognize disk in the drive.  Started whirring loudly when I inserted Forza...  Now it no longer is reading the disk.   Now on the long hold of Shame with MS support

crybaby

That sucks!  Hope they get u back up and gaming soon....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: November 24, 2013, 05:17:40 AM »

Welp, my xbox one will no longer recognize disk in the drive.  Started whirring loudly when I inserted Forza...  Now it no longer is reading the disk.   Now on the long hold of Shame with MS support

crybaby

Come join the "No Next-Gen" thread! We're about to start up karaoke!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: November 24, 2013, 05:18:37 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 24, 2013, 04:33:56 AM

I'm guessing in situations like this it is better if you have bought it from a store because you can just take it back and exchange it?
Not really. Most stores don't have anything to exchange it with...
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: November 24, 2013, 05:23:03 AM »

Yeah... I'm going wait until March to get my next Gen gaming on. Look like I may just upgrade my Video Card in the mean time.
So much technology and advancement in one box that it cant spin something as primitive as a  CD\BD..SMH..

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: November 24, 2013, 05:56:08 AM »

New unit is on the way...   Hate they had to put a hold on the funds but I have a credit card specifically for this type of issues.   

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: November 24, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »

Sorry to hear that soul.  Crazy how many issues have come up during these launches in just our small community.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: November 24, 2013, 04:04:34 PM »

Really sorry to hear of your issues Soul. The perils of early adoption and all that.

I'll have to say it's been a long time since I've been so genuinely excited about a product. I actually feel kind of silly now about getting so worked up over the console wars - had I known how much I would enjoy this thing I wouldn't have cared a whit about what anyone else thought.

My wife has been such a rock star through this launch - she doesn't care about gaming but she loves to see my excitement and geeking out over this stuff. I found out that she spent days researching it and learning about it so she could make educated decisions on what accessories/games to get me for Christmas. Last night she surprised me with Dead Rising 3 as an early birthday present, just so I could spend all day tomorrow playing it while she was at work. How cool is that.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: November 24, 2013, 05:06:42 PM »

crybaby

Just been reading that the disc drive issues are increasing with people calling it the 'Disc Drive of Doom'

http://kotaku.com/reports-of-xbox-one-disc-drive-issues-increase-1470495704

With this and Engines bricked Xb1,I feel a bit low thinking "I hope MS iron out all these problems by the time i come to be able to afford one"

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: November 24, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »

the 3D!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: November 24, 2013, 08:16:30 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 24, 2013, 04:04:34 PM

I'll have to say it's been a long time since I've been so genuinely excited about a product. I actually feel kind of silly now about getting so worked up over the console wars - had I known how much I would enjoy this thing I wouldn't have cared a whit about what anyone else thought.

A breakthrough ladies and gentlemen!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: November 24, 2013, 08:33:53 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 24, 2013, 04:04:34 PM

I found out that she spent days researching it and learning about it so she could make educated decisions on what accessories/games to get me for Christmas. Last night she surprised me with Dead Rising 3 as an early birthday present, just so I could spend all day tomorrow playing it while she was at work. How cool is that.
What a cool wife!  I like hearing about significant others actively supporting gaming.  I think that's kind of rare with our generation.  Millennials and younger seem much more open and accepting of it.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: November 24, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »

So the drive works sometimes.. when it does eventually load a game is whines very loudly for a few minutes then goes quiet.  Typically I have to load and eject a disk a few times before it works.  Anyway, replacement is incoming by Fed Ex sometime this week so all isn't lost

NiM$
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2572 on: November 25, 2013, 12:14:42 AM »

Did anybody decide to give Zoo Tycoon a try?  I've heard some pretty good things about it and thought it might be a good game to play while my parents are around for Thanksgiving (unlike Dead Rising 3...).

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: November 25, 2013, 12:37:59 AM »

I hooked my TiVo through and the voice commands control DVR commands. Have to say that's cool. I'll give it a shot for a while. Beta surround is working fine as well.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: November 25, 2013, 03:06:22 PM »

This probably doesn't help the XBox's chances in Europe.

The Xbox One's TV integration suffers noticeable judder in the UK, tests have revealed.

Website HDTVTest.co.uk first flagged up the problem, which occurs when you run a live TV feed from your set-top box, such as a Freeview HD, Sky or Virgin Media box, into Microsoft's console using the HDMI-in port.

The UK and Europe use a 50Hz broadcasting system. The Xbox One outputs at 60Hz, so if you feed it a 50Hz HDMI source, one out of every six frames will be a duplicate, causing judder.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: November 25, 2013, 03:07:34 PM »

At the risk of being abused for posting negative xbox information, I'm going to leave this right here. It seems fairly significant if you are living in Europe (or just the UK?) I'm not familiar with this sort of thing so perhaps a fix is fairly easy to implement but if it is true then it really makes you facepalm. This type of North American-centric thinking seems pretty representative of the problems MS has had in the past (huge controllers and consoles in Japan) and possibly in the future with the Xbox One.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-xbox-one-tv-integration-suffers-noticeable-judder-in-uk?page=comments

Edit - Ahh Ralph beat me to it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2576 on: November 25, 2013, 04:10:20 PM »

Will probably take a few weeks for them to code a software patch to fix it. These new consoles are so much more driven by software now than ever before, more easily updated because of it.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: November 25, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 25, 2013, 04:10:20 PM

Will probably take a few weeks for them to code a software patch to fix it. These new consoles are so much more driven by software now than ever before, more easily updated because of it.

Since the TV runs as an app I agree. 

NiM$
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2578 on: November 25, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »

If anyone hears about a Kinect 2.0 extension cable, let me know. The included cable is about 10 feet too short for my needs and as far as I can tell MS doesn't have an extension available.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: November 25, 2013, 04:25:02 PM »

Be forewarned MS might ban you if you swear  using Skype and Upload Studio MS is stupid 

I can understand Upload Studio... not really but okay, but private Skype calls..  WTF MS

NiM$
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2580 on: November 25, 2013, 04:42:04 PM »

wow.  on the one hand, great.  this addresses the 14yo asshat from posting a video where he bashes people on live.   thumbsup  on the other hand, this is ridiculous that you can be banned for swearing.  had they done this when MW first came out and banned you from swearing in chat, we would have seen populations drop and I doubt it would be the juggernaut it is now. 

this makes me wonder if they have nudity recognition in the Kinect software and could ban you for that.  or at the least, send you male enhancement emails.   icon_twisted

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: November 25, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »

If they apply that to party chat there are a few GT folks I expect to never be able to play online again.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2582 on: November 25, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 25, 2013, 04:51:52 PM

If they apply that to party chat there are a few GT folks I expect to never be able to play online again.

yeah, I could imagine that FuzzballX would be gone in under a week.   icon_biggrin

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: November 25, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 25, 2013, 04:25:02 PM

Be forewarned MS might ban you if you swear  using Skype and Upload Studio MS is stupid 

I can understand Upload Studio... not really but okay, but private Skype calls..  WTF MS

Well shit.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: November 25, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »

Are we constantly being monitored? My dog, Jedi, is a scary lady and might make children cry. I don't wanna get banned!

My dog is a Dutch Shepherd and she looks like a cross between hyena and a brown wolf. So, yes she can be a bit terrifying if you saw her out in the wild. While I was out walking her one afternoon I ran into a family that was hanging out in their drive-way with their daughter. As I was passing them from across the street the little girl started to cry and shouted "That's a bad doggy!" The parents encouraged her fear by saying, "Yes that is a bad doggy." *sigh*

This is what Jedi looks like:

Same color pattern but a little more black hair than the one in the photo. Not scary, CUTEY!

I wonder if it is possible for my dog to accidentally turn on the Xbox One?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: November 25, 2013, 07:49:30 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 25, 2013, 07:42:50 PM

My dog is a Dutch Shepherd and she looks like a cross between hyena and a brown wolf. So, yes she can be a bit terrifying if you saw her out in the wild. While I was out walking her one afternoon I ran into a family that was hanging out in their drive-way with their daughter. As I was passing them from across the street the little girl started to cry and shouted "That's a badass doggy!" The parents encouraged her fear by saying, "Yes that is a badass doggy." *sigh*
fixed
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: November 25, 2013, 07:54:20 PM »

I think your dog would either have to nose the button (possible) or say "Xbox on" (unlikely).

Does anyone know how to change the way the xbox refers to you? When I sit down, instead of saying "Hi TeggyGah" (my gamertag), it says "Hi Firstname Middleinitial". I wouldn't mind it saying "Hi Firstname", it's just odd having the middle initial. Is it taking it off my credit card info?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: November 25, 2013, 07:57:23 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on November 25, 2013, 07:49:30 PM

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 25, 2013, 07:42:50 PM

My dog is a Dutch Shepherd and she looks like a cross between hyena and a brown wolf. So, yes she can be a bit terrifying if you saw her out in the wild. While I was out walking her one afternoon I ran into a family that was hanging out in their drive-way with their daughter. As I was passing them from across the street the little girl started to cry and shouted "That's a badass doggy!" The parents encouraged her fear by saying, "Yes that is a badass doggy." *sigh*
fixed

icon_lol 

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: November 25, 2013, 09:25:53 PM »

I had some ups and downs getting things setup, but so far I'm pretty happy.  I went with the SAT->XBONE->RECEIVER->TV config.

My goals is/was to have the Xbone be the "one entertainment unit" to rule them all so to speak.  For the most part it's been a success.  I tried playing a game (Ryze, graphics are fantastic), downloading misc apps, watching a DVD, listening to music, playing with Netflix, watching a Blu-Ray, watching satellite TV, downloading an update while pinning the TV screen to the side.  Voice commands are working fairly well thus far.  Haven't had to switch HDMI ports at all, which I love, and pretty much has made 2 or 3 other pieces of hardware I had now obsolete.

Things I haven't figured out, or that I assume are coming later:

- Issuing commands via gestures

- Having a dedicated remote for TV viewing that also controls the Xbone (presently I have to swap between controller, sat remote and receiver remote for volume).  I have an old Logitech and ordered a newer one that should hopefully alleviate this

- Watching video off a home server (surprised this wasn't ready for launch)

They probably could have used a good 6 months of additional beta testing and preparation to make for a stronger launch, but I'm still pretty impressed with what they've achieved so far.  Hopefully more good things to come.  
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: November 25, 2013, 09:31:54 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 25, 2013, 03:06:22 PM

This probably doesn't help the XBox's chances in Europe.

The Xbox One's TV integration suffers noticeable judder in the UK, tests have revealed.

Website HDTVTest.co.uk first flagged up the problem, which occurs when you run a live TV feed from your set-top box, such as a Freeview HD, Sky or Virgin Media box, into Microsoft's console using the HDMI-in port.

The UK and Europe use a 50Hz broadcasting system. The Xbox One outputs at 60Hz, so if you feed it a 50Hz HDMI source, one out of every six frames will be a duplicate, causing judder.

Since they already have put out at least one console in Europe previously, I'm pretty sure they know about this. As whenever Sony or other TV makers sell their products in Europe, they don't suddenly forget we use PAL where others use NTSC for instance. It'll be fine I'm sure.

If you want something damaging to MS when they do decided to release here in the Nordic countries, it will most probably be that pretty much none of their apps or their extra content has any use here. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but...I'm rather sure I'm not.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:33:36 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: November 25, 2013, 09:39:37 PM »

MS responded and said they do not monitor private Skype calls. More Xbox misinformation from the interwebz, shocker. I can understand the Upload thing since a kid could go in and access any clip.

Dead Rising 3 co-op is FUN AS HELL. I got up this morning to kill zombies with a buddy of mine and we put in like 5 hours straight. That's the longest continuous game session I've had since before my kids were born. So much fun. We've vowed not to even play single player because the co-op is where it's at.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: November 26, 2013, 12:35:50 AM »

(For those wondering I own a Wii, 360, and PS3 from the current/previous gen. I do not own the Wii U, PS4, or XBone.)

So I had a buddy in town this weekend who brought over is, as yet, unboxed XBone. After much alcohol, Doctor Who, and football Saturday we finally hooked it up late Saturday night. I was impressed with the look at the box, though it is definitely pretty large. Those are certainly some hardy/thick cables. Even the HDMI cable is surprisingly stout.

Once we fired up the XBone, we did initial setup and downloaded the 500 MB update. I was impressed with how quickly this went. I don't remember how long it was, but it did not seem long. We then started navigating the interface a bit. I absolutely hate the interface. It's not surprising. I've hated the 360 interface ever since they ditched the original one, which was just fine. I also pretty much detest metro on my Windows 8 PC. I can't believe that MS chose THIS look for their "unifying" interface across all platforms. YUCK~!

I was very frustrated that I couldn't find the settings menu anywhere (yes I was drunk). Finally I had a moment of inspiration and said "Xbox go to settings", and it worked! Plus 1 for that.

So after everything was set up we put in Call of Duty and it installed. AND THIS TOOK FOREVER. Granted after 20 minutes or so I think it was ready to play while being installed, but MAN it was slow. By that point, we were watching an online video that was around half an hour. After it was over, the game STILL wasn't done installing. WTF?! So after about 40-45 minutes, it was 100% done and we started it up. (Yes, we knew we could have begun playing earlier, but when it wasn't done after our video we wanted to see how long it would take...)

So we wanted to play local only split screen multi-player co-op. We couldn't find that mode. So, either it isn't in this game or we were just drunk and stupid (or both). I found this to be as much fun as getting a prostate exam since I would take 3 steps and get killed immediately by some player. Hardly an inducement to break my "There is no way in hell I will ever pay for Gold." policy. Anyway, I was pretty unimpressed with the graphics. It definitely didn't look next gen to me, although I am sure it probably looks better than the 360 version in some ways.

I will say the controller was AWESOME. Like the 360 but the sticks feel way better. Why oh why can't Sony give up the horrifically bad Dualshock design?! I am still yet to see a playable demo for either system anywhere, so I still haven't had a chance to hold the DS4.

So, after that we were pretty wiped out and went to sleep. Sadly, I didn't get to play DR3, which is the only launch game for either system that I have any interest in. He also had Ryse, which we didn't have time to play either.

So, I am lukewarm on the system as a whole. The MS network seemed more than solid, which is impressive given Sony's issues the previous weekend. I thought the controller was AWESOME. I think if you are already predisposed to pay for Gold, than the XBone is a better value for you. Since I never plan on ever paying a subscription for a console, and so many features on the XBone require Gold, I just think it's not a good value for me. On the other hand, I barely play any games on my PS3, due almost entirely due to the controller.

Definitely sitting out on this new gen for the immediate future. I still expect the Wii U will be the next console I get depending on if/when new quality Metroid/Zelda titles come out for it - hopefully after another price drop for the system. With the release of the fantastic new Link Between Worlds for the 3DS, I have some hope again that this might actually happen.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: November 26, 2013, 01:38:20 AM »

Great news for Soul and others...if your Xbone drive broke, MS will give you a free game!

http://kotaku.com/did-your-xbox-one-disc-drive-break-you-get-a-free-game-1471573359
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: November 26, 2013, 02:13:32 AM »

Ahhh, Soul, that sucks!!  icon_frown

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2594 on: November 26, 2013, 03:07:23 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 26, 2013, 12:35:50 AM

I will say the controller was AWESOME. Like the 360 but the sticks feel way better. Why oh why can't Sony give up the horrifically bad Dualshock design?! I am still yet to see a playable demo for either system anywhere, so I still haven't had a chance to hold the DS4.

If you had, you would know that they DID give up on the horrifically bad Dualshock design. The PS4 controller is excellent.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: November 26, 2013, 03:19:01 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 26, 2013, 03:07:23 AM

If you had, you would know that they DID give up on the horrifically bad Dualshock design. The PS4 controller is excellent.

They still have the left stick in the wrong, uncomfortable position, so I remain skeptical, but I would like to pick one up and feel it for myself.

-John

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: November 26, 2013, 03:27:20 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 26, 2013, 03:19:01 AM

They still have the left stick in the position that is not my personal preference so I remain skeptical, but I would like to pick one up and feel it for myself.
Fixed that for you. Essentially, the controller difference is down to personal preference now.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: November 26, 2013, 03:39:08 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 26, 2013, 03:27:20 AM

They still have the left stick in the position that is not my personal preference so I remain skeptical, but I would like to pick one up and feel it for myself.
Fixed that for you. Essentially, the controller difference is down to personal preference now.

Even Sony said the offset stick design tested better in focus groups, but they stuck with parallel out of tradition. Sounds liked they improved everything else aplenty, though, and moved the sticks apart enough to prevent most cases of thumby bumpy syndrome.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: November 26, 2013, 03:44:44 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 26, 2013, 03:27:20 AM

Sigh... yes, of course this is all in my opinion. I didn't really think that needed to be spelled out, but thanks. smile (added a smiley to make it clear I am just clowning around)

For the record the first gamepad I ever owned with an analog stick was a Dualshock 1, so it isn't like I had some MS/Nintendo preference before using a Sony controller. I just don't like having the main movement stick in the lower position since it feels so unnatural. Likewise, while I haven't yet held it, the new Wii U classic controller which has the right stick up where the buttons should be seems equally non-intuitive. In my oh so humble opinion of course. slywink
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:48:52 AM by JCC » Logged

-John

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: November 26, 2013, 03:47:37 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 26, 2013, 03:39:08 AM

Even Sony said the offset stick design tested better in focus groups, but they stuck with parallel out of tradition. Sounds liked they improved everything else aplenty, though, and moved the sticks apart enough to prevent most cases of thumby bumpy syndrome.

I really wish that Sony would acknowledge their own focus groups' results and simply make an alternative controller even if it's not the one included with the console. I always meant to pick up a 3rd party PS3 controller I saw in stores with the left stick in the correct (IMO~!) place, but it sold out before I pulled the trigger. Oh well. Even with their crummy (IMO~!) controller, they are the Higher Def console I am leaning towards... once there are many more than zero games I want to play on it.

-John

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: