http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 05:53:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 69525 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: November 23, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 22, 2013, 01:35:18 AM

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 22, 2013, 01:07:09 AM

Just brought Killer Instinct and Xbox Fitness since they are free.  Should be ready to download to my XB1 tomorrow

thumbsup

I supposedly am getting Killer Instinct with all the characters unlocked for free from MS.

I just got my code from MS through email,thankfully because i don't have a XB1 yet,the expiry date for the code is next June(30/06/14)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: November 23, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »

Did one workout using Xbox fitness,  Seems OK but not much different than working out to a DVD.  Tracking is much improved but the Kinect lost me once for no reason I can figure out and having to stream the videos lead to a couple of hiccups of less than 5 seconds while the vid buffered.  Far too early to tell but I would like to see a workout program that combined multiple workouts, as it is now it looks like you just pick and choose with no real guidance.  The 360's EA Sports Active got most of my time simply because they had a 9 week series of workouts building as you went along, need something like that on the XBone.  Only tried the heartbeat tracker once and didn't get it to respond, it was taking long enough that I felt my heartrate was droping while I waited.

I need to explore further but I'd also like to see a quick series of videos that gave an idea of the exercises in a workout before starting that workout, that way I can decide if that is what I want to do.  Fitness could work well but I feel they need something that tracks your workouts better, EA Sports Active used a dedicated heart rate monitor and at the end of the workout you could see how your pulse tracked over the entire time and in what zone it was.  Xbox Fitness as I said above seems like workout DVD's with Kinect snapped to the right showing your body position, not really as intergrated as I'd hoped.  Lots of potential and as I said only having one workout in so far so lots to figure out going forward.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: November 23, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »

Oh yeah the code thing, finally looked at the card and it says right on it "Xbox, use a code" and it worked flawlessly and was so fast.  Cool tech.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: November 23, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »

Still trying to figure out how to follow/friend people.  My list from the 360 account ported right over but have yet to see how to add additional people to follow.  Pretty confusing setup for that stuff.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2524 on: November 23, 2013, 11:38:04 AM »

The new friends system is now like twitter. You basically "follow" people, they don't have to accept. However, if two people follow each other you open up some traditional friend functionality.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: November 23, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on November 23, 2013, 12:43:23 AM

My Xbox One should arrive tomorrow. However not sure when I'll open it. Probably store it next to my unopened PS4

mine came yesterday and I still haven't opened it.  too much other stuff to do right now frown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: November 23, 2013, 11:39:09 AM »

although I may get a chance to hook it up tonight...

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: November 23, 2013, 11:51:28 AM »

Loving the system so far...  Only command that gives me issues is Xbox On. The rest work flawlessly and I can actually see myself playing more games on my xbox since I can jump right in

Anyway, time will tell

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: November 23, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »

PowerStar Golf is really fun if you like arcade-style golf games. Take every basic video game golf mechanic (swing meter, putting grid, etc), put them into one game, then add characters and leveling, and that's what this is.

One of the really fun this about it is that each hole it shows you your friends' records (longest drive, closest approach, longest putt, etc) as well as the world record for the hole. If you break a record you get bonus XP and you become the new record holder. Adds a bit of competition to the single player game.

Seems to be a lot of content as well. There are many different golfers (9 maybe?) each with a caddy. Golfers and caddies each have unique powers that can be used sparingly on the course. For instance, a super powered up shot, or the ability to predict exactly where your ball will land. Each course corresponds to a themed golfer, and by beating that golfer on their signature course you unlock them for play.

YMMV but for my money I'm having a blast with it and wound up playing it almost as much as Forza last night.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: November 23, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 23, 2013, 10:28:40 AM

Quote from: Hetz on November 22, 2013, 01:35:18 AM

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 22, 2013, 01:07:09 AM

Just brought Killer Instinct and Xbox Fitness since they are free.  Should be ready to download to my XB1 tomorrow

thumbsup

I supposedly am getting Killer Instinct with all the characters unlocked for free from MS.

I just got my code from MS through email,thankfully because i don't have a XB1 yet,the expiry date for the code is next June(30/06/14)

Yeah, I ended up getting my code about 5PM yesterday.

Killer instinct is awesome. I wasn't even planning on getting it as I remember playing it in the arcade, but I wasn't that huge a fan at the time (though I did love the announcer on it, ULLLLTRAAAA COMBO!!!!!!). Glad I got it free from MS, cause it's great fun! I ended up playing it most of the night.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: November 23, 2013, 01:51:55 PM »

Is this code sent out randomly or is everyone suppose to get it?
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: November 23, 2013, 02:08:10 PM »

Quote from: BuckeyeShane on November 23, 2013, 01:51:55 PM

Is this code sent out randomly or is everyone suppose to get it?

It's the code that MS awarded to certain players.  They never revealed the criteria.  They stated more were to be awarded, but nothing came out of it...yet

NiM$
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: November 23, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »

I own both the PS4 and the Xbox One now. My impression of the Xbox One is that it feels like a next generation system whereas the PS4 feels like a PS3 with better graphics.

The hardware that MS presents to us feels better built, and they included a proper headset. When I saw those cheap little ear buds that Sony included with the PS4 I tossed them.  The Azure (Microsoft's cloud) network is effing fast, much faster than PSN. It was rock solid on launch day with no connectivity issues and everything I watched streamed beautifully. (The Wolverine is really good.) Also, after seeing the Xbox One in person, it looks better than the PS4.  The Xbox One's UI is way better than what Sony is doing with their PS4 in my opinion, and the Kinect is a hoot!

The ONLY thing that Sony has going for it is a marginal advantage in gaming performance, and in time I think the devs will close that gap even further. Even now, it's hard to see the difference between the games. With a TV that is properly configured, it's near impossible without doing side-by-side comparisons.

Also, I noticed that the Xbox One supports 36-bit color depth, does the PS4 or is it locked at 24-bit?

And a tip for those of you who are watching blu-ray's on the xbox one, go to the settings menu and make sure to turn on the 24fps setting for blu-ray playback.

If your TV supports 36-bit color depth (if it is an HDTV made in the past 6 years it should) then turn that on and also PC (RGB Full) for wide gamut colors.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: November 23, 2013, 03:24:43 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 23, 2013, 02:50:58 PM

I own both the PS4 and the Xbox One now. My impression of the Xbox One is that it feels like a next generation system whereas the PS4 feels like a PS3 with better graphics.

The hardware that MS presents to us feels better built, and they included a proper headset. When I saw those cheap little ear buds that Sony included with the PS4 I tossed them.  The Azure (Microsoft's cloud) network is effing fast, much faster than PSN. It was rock solid on launch day with no connectivity issues and everything I watched streamed beautifully. (The Wolverine is really good.) Also, after seeing the Xbox One in person, it looks better than the PS4.  The Xbox One's UI is way better than what Sony is doing with their PS4 in my opinion, and the Kinect is a hoot!

The ONLY thing that Sony has going for it is a marginal advantage in gaming performance, and in time I think the devs will close that gap even further. Even now, it's hard to see the difference between the games. With a TV that is properly configured, it's near impossible without doing side-by-side comparisons.

Also, I noticed that the Xbox One supports 36-bit color depth, does the PS4 or is it locked at 24-bit?

And a tip for those of you who are watching blu-ray's on the xbox one, go to the settings menu and make sure to turn on the 24fps setting for blu-ray playback.

If your TV supports 36-bit color depth (if it is an HDTV made in the past 6 years it should) then turn that on and also PC (RGB Full) for wide gamut colors.

My sentiments are pretty much captured in this post.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: November 23, 2013, 04:16:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 23, 2013, 11:39:09 AM

although I may get a chance to hook it up tonight...

damn will power... should be writing about paraphilias instead I reworked the tv stand, hooked up the XB1 and currently updating (rather speedily, from 5 to 50% as I typed this).

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: November 23, 2013, 04:21:06 PM »

I like the new thumbsticks on the controller... d-pad feels a bit off, mainly because it is so clicky.  not a big fan of the mic attacher thingy they use for the headset, feels really cheap.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: November 23, 2013, 04:25:51 PM »

also, kinda annoyed that none of the headsets are due out until February.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: November 23, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »

and dangit.  got a metal fence I keep around the TV to keep the cat out of all the wires, and the new Kinect is low enough to pick it up.  Guess I'll have to order a TV mount for it... of course it's not due out until December 4th.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2538 on: November 23, 2013, 04:42:48 PM »

Wait what, you've built a Faraday cage around your wifi-enabled electronics? slywink
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: November 23, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »

Have messed around with the TV stuff a bit more. Here are my thoughts:

- Voice control in terms of changing channels, etc can be a little wonky. When it works, it works. When it fails, you'll find yourself wanting to watch ESPN and instead trying to open up a party chat. Note that voice recognition with the rest of the system is pretty stellar, which makes the TV issues more glaring.

- Controlling DVR stuff with voice is pretty awesome. I watch recorded shows a lot while doing chores and the ability to fast forward and change volume without picking up a remote is really handy. The voice recognition for this particular use case is really good. Of course, the inability to pull up recorded shows or schedule recordings is a big minus.

- I have run into some general bugginess while watching TV. For instance, having the "toolbar" for TV commands get stuck on the bottom of the screen, or lack of responsiveness in other apps (though to be fair, I've seen this lack of responsiveness occur outside of TV - it usually manifests as pressing A to initiate an action such as reading a message and it just does nothing).

I'd say right now it's an interesting complement to TV watching, but not yet a replacement for your real cable box menus.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: November 23, 2013, 05:00:47 PM »

Powerstar is basically a Hot Shots clone, which is not necessarily a bad thing, especially since there is no new Hot Shots on PS4. For $20 it is a good deal. The downsides would be no online play or tournaments, but you can challenge your friends' scores for XP - if you fail, they get XP, which is neat. The level of polish is a little lower, such as a loading screen between every hole which is not egregious but is annoying and a bit too many intermediate steps between shots which has you mashing A after every shot to skip them. The lengthy calculation at the end of each round can also not be fast-forwarded, again something that Hot Shots allows.

Looks like there is a cash shop but it doesn't seem to be up and running yet. However, the in-game currency looks pretty easy to come by from playing, so it appears to be more of a convenience for the impatient rather than necessary to play the game.

The World Records are kind of silly because at this point it seems like almost every hole has already had either a hole in one or a ridiculous hole out, so they were probably set for good before most anyone played the game.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: November 23, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 23, 2013, 04:42:48 PM

Wait what, you've built a Faraday cage around your wifi-enabled electronics? slywink

heh, got to keep the NSA out somehow.

just notice the d-pad on my controller makes a twanging sound when I hit right.  also, may be slightly OCD, but the right bumper's clicking noise is slightly louder than the left bumper's clicking noise.

hooked my 360 up to the throughput, may eventually move the cable box there but not right now.  I noticed the green power light on the 360 was pulsing after I powered it down.

oh, and how do I use hand gestures?  do they work on the dashboard, or only in certain apps?

Because I can,
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: November 23, 2013, 05:39:06 PM »

YK the channel surfing works much better when you add the channel to your favorites.. Trust me on this.  Btw, anyone notice that Netflix doesn't display on the App Channel?

NiM$
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: November 23, 2013, 06:25:51 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 23, 2013, 05:39:06 PM

YK the channel surfing works much better when you add the channel to your favorites.. Trust me on this. 

Yes, I had mentioned this previously in one of these threads.  It's a must to get channels that are extensions of a base channel to even work.  For instance, if you want to watch ESPN Classic.  If you say it, it will launch ESPN, uness you add ESPN Classic to your favorites.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2544 on: November 23, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 23, 2013, 10:27:29 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 23, 2013, 06:21:16 AM

After waiting over 2 hours for Support to call me back, they finally called back just to shunt me to a "We're no longer in the office" message.

And the online chat just got back to me as well, but it's no better than an automated system.  "Have you tried power cycling?"  frown

Oh,that's not good,you are not one of these unlucky people are you?

http://news.sky.com/story/1172485/xbox-one-bricked-by-update-users-claim

Yeah, that's basically what happened to me.  The console just won't finish it's update which means I can't even get to the dashboard to do anything, so I'm shit out of luck and have to send it back.

I'm not really clear why Support can't have me do the USB drive update that was floating around the net earlier this week, but maybe they decided that was just too problematic and it's easier to just replace it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: November 23, 2013, 06:38:57 PM »

I think my XB1 is toying with me.  Put in DR3 to install, sat there as it stayed at 0%.  got up and went to grab a drink, got back about 10 seconds later and it was at 11%.  sat down, nothing.  got up, left the room, came back... 22%....

I think it may be watching me paranoid

Because I can,
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: November 23, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 23, 2013, 11:38:04 AM

The new friends system is now like twitter. You basically "follow" people, they don't have to accept. However, if two people follow each other you open up some traditional friend functionality.

It seems my friends/followers screen was a bit messed up, it wasn't until I pressed the select (or whatever it is called now) button that I got a menu to search for a person.  After I did that I can see a "find a person" icon whenever I bring up the followers screen, was not there before.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: November 23, 2013, 08:01:18 PM »

loving the QR codes.  I just say 'Xbox, go to store', 'use a code' and then I flash code at the screen.  it is odd that the Forza 5 7 day XBL Gold trial card still uses those primitive things... what do you call them... 'numbers' and 'letters'...  so archaic.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: November 23, 2013, 09:29:31 PM »

Twice I've had a game just turn off and put me back at the dashboard.  It isn't just minimizing it, it's shutting the game down completely.  NBA 2k14 and Forza both did it.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: November 23, 2013, 09:30:47 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 23, 2013, 09:29:31 PM

Twice I've had a game just turn off and put me back at the dashboard.  It isn't just minimizing it, it's shutting the game down completely.  NBA 2k14 and Forza both did it.

You are playing them wrong
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: November 23, 2013, 09:51:14 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 23, 2013, 09:30:47 PM

Apparently too much 'win'
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: November 23, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »

Thus far I've only been experimenting with the non-gaming features.  For the most part the voice commands seems to register, though it can be a bit hit or miss.  I haven't seen anything involving the gesture commands like they showed in the video, but maybe I missed something.  I like that you can navigate the TV Guide with commands like page down or jump down, and the whole system of highlighting things you can say in green is actually quite intuitive.  Sometimes it goes away too soon though, and I don't think "Xbox Select" is the set choice for a default to get things back.  I wish you could access a full set of available commands and just choose what you want to say.  I mean wouldn't it be fun to say "Xbox Lick My Balls" to make the menu pop up?  OK I guess my idea is fun is different from others.

The other thing that is bothering me is that the pass through seems to lock me into always using the Xbone for TV, unless I missed something.  With the unit off, I tried my regular remote and turned on cable box + TV but got nothing.  I thought generally passthroughs would also behave passively like a true "thru" with the power off but apparently not in this case?  Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how my receiver works.  This isn't really a major problem except that it means everyone else is also forced to use the Xbone to watch TV.  It's fine for me, but I don't want my non-gaming partner forced into using it.  Then again maybe I can trick him into gaming with me this way lol.

I thought about splitting the cable signal but even if it worked that would mean I'd need to switch HDMI spots on the TV and that was the whole thing I wanted to get away from with this new design.  I'm wondering if there's some way I can somehow route everything through the receiver and have that be the "universal" connection to the TV.  I think someone posted a suggestion earlier so I'll take a look, but I have a feeling it will just introduce some other issue.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: November 23, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 23, 2013, 09:51:14 PM

Quote from: msduncan on November 23, 2013, 09:30:47 PM

Apparently too much 'win'

Xbox, F- around with Hark's Xbox
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: November 24, 2013, 12:13:59 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 23, 2013, 11:51:28 AM

Loving the system so far...  Only command that gives me issues is Xbox On. The rest work flawlessly and I can actually see myself playing more games on my xbox since I can jump right in

Anyway, time will tell

Ha! The Xbox Off is giving me problems. Not the "off" command itself but the "Yes" to confirm. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: November 24, 2013, 12:43:03 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 23, 2013, 10:53:58 PM

The other thing that is bothering me is that the pass through seems to lock me into always using the Xbone for TV, unless I missed something.  With the unit off, I tried my regular remote and turned on cable box + TV but got nothing.  I thought generally passthroughs would also behave passively like a true "thru" with the power off but apparently not in this case?  Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how my receiver works.  This isn't really a major problem except that it means everyone else is also forced to use the Xbone to watch TV.  It's fine for me, but I don't want my non-gaming partner forced into using it.  Then again maybe I can trick him into gaming with me this way lol.

That's by design.  MS wants to control/track all your media consumption, so letting the cable signal through while the XB1 is off would defeat that purpose.
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: November 24, 2013, 02:12:07 AM »

Is there anyway to see your controller battery life and also how do you see the how much space you have left on hard drive?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: November 24, 2013, 02:22:41 AM »

Definitely not the second one. They have to patch it in.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: November 24, 2013, 04:06:18 AM »

Welp, my xbox one will no longer recognize disk in the drive.  Started whirring loudly when I inserted Forza...  Now it no longer is reading the disk.   Now on the long hold of Shame with MS support

crybaby

NiM$
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: November 24, 2013, 04:33:56 AM »

I'm guessing in situations like this it is better if you have bought it from a store because you can just take it back and exchange it?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2559 on: November 24, 2013, 04:50:36 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 24, 2013, 04:06:18 AM

Welp, my xbox one will no longer recognize disk in the drive.  Started whirring loudly when I inserted Forza...  Now it no longer is reading the disk.   Now on the long hold of Shame with MS support

crybaby

Aw man, sorry to hear that Soulchilde!  I guess on the up side you at least got to play it for a couple days? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: