http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 09:52:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 57453 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: November 20, 2013, 12:39:20 AM »

just got a new email from Amazon, along with one reminding me to make sure my payment info is up to date:

Customers who signed up to be notified of Xbox One console availability might like to know that we will have units of the Xbox One available for pre-order on Wednesday, November 20.

Quantities are limited so you will need to pre-order while supplies last, starting at 8 a.m. ET / 5 a.m. PT.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: November 20, 2013, 03:08:09 AM »

Rolling Stone breaks embargo with the first major Xbox One review. They made a mistake on a statement about certain launch titles running 1080p/60fps, but if you can overlook that cringe-worthy error it's a good read.  dude
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: November 20, 2013, 03:37:48 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 20, 2013, 03:08:09 AM

Rolling Stone breaks embargo with the first major Xbox One review. They made a mistake on a statement about certain launch titles running 1080p/60fps, but if you can overlook that cringe-worthy error it's a good read.  dude

#excited as hell

Honestly I've been underwhelmed with the PS4 interface.   They went too simplistic -- no ability to customize.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: November 20, 2013, 03:38:50 AM »

bah, it was obviously paid for.  fake!  lies! Torches and Happiness!

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: November 20, 2013, 03:48:30 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2013, 03:38:50 AM

bah, it was obviously paid for.  fake!  lies! Torches and Happiness!

Fortunately they are all playing Knack and are too busy to pan this article.

slywink
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: November 20, 2013, 05:15:36 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2013, 12:39:20 AM

just got a new email from Amazon, along with one reminding me to make sure my payment info is up to date:

Customers who signed up to be notified of Xbox One console availability might like to know that we will have units of the Xbox One available for pre-order on Wednesday, November 20.

Quantities are limited so you will need to pre-order while supplies last, starting at 8 a.m. ET / 5 a.m. PT.

Got the same.   Didn't get this for the PS4.   I checked my payment option thinking my card info might be wonky but it looks fine.

Maybe this email is precautionary to avoid problems they had with the PS4 launch?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2366 on: November 20, 2013, 05:50:39 AM »

Adam Sessler's review on Rev3Games.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
g2gdotcom
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: November 20, 2013, 09:53:26 AM »

PS4 is having issues now..  icon_confused  icon_cry
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: November 20, 2013, 10:08:08 AM »

Quote from: g2gdotcom on November 20, 2013, 09:53:26 AM

PS4 is having issues now..  icon_confused  icon_cry

You keep saying that in various threads. What issues?

A new one
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: November 20, 2013, 02:48:02 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 20, 2013, 03:37:48 AM

Quote from: YellowKing on November 20, 2013, 03:08:09 AM

#excited as hell

Honestly I've been underwhelmed with the PS4 interface.   They went too simplistic -- no ability to customize.

I guess you want your UI plastered with tons of squares instead of a few and littered with ads?  To each his own.

After reading reviews of the system, I am definitely holding off until Titanfall.  Was reading that the HDMI passthrough only outputs in stereo.  For a box that is supposed to be the "One" thing for entertainment, cutting out Dolby Digital from my DirecTV PVR seems like a huge oversight.  Also not liking what I am reading about Kinect.  Hopefully they get this stuff ironed out by Titanfall, but if the box still has these kinds of issues, I will pass.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: November 20, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »

So this came up in the "other" thread but I think this is relevant for future XB1 owners.  The XB1 does not support Surround Sound for the cable/satellite.  http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/live-tv/digital-sound-not-working

So if you have a home theater setup you'll want to weigh using that pass-through or not as, as of right now, there are tradeoffs.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: November 20, 2013, 03:38:56 PM »

One review I read said that the guy found a beta option for Surround Sound through HDMI pass through buried in the menus somewhere. I'm not sure if this is on retail boxes or just the review box he was testing, but its inclusion makes me think it's very likely this will get corrected.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: November 20, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »

Man, I would be pissed to find this out at this late date.  I'm assuming this is something they can fix, though, and not a permanent hardware issue.

Is it just for the cable/satellite, then?  I thought I'd read that it was not outputting for anything passing through.  I assume the games and such are working fine in 5.1.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: November 20, 2013, 03:44:44 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 20, 2013, 03:40:39 PM

Man, I would be pissed to find this out at this late date.  I'm assuming this is something they can fix, though, and not a permanent hardware issue.

Is it just for the cable/satellite, then?  I thought I'd read that it was not outputting for anything passing through.  I assume the games and such are working fine in 5.1.

It's just for cable/satellite

UI Video from Polygon.  She's using the controller instead of the voice commands

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: November 20, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »

Reviews!

http://www.polygon.com/a/xbox-one-review#console

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/20/review-xbox-one/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/20/xbox-one-review_n_4297108.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

Looks like a great console.  

Edited to add another review I found.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:30:50 PM by farley2k » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: November 20, 2013, 04:29:09 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 20, 2013, 02:53:55 PM

So this came up in the "other" thread but I think this is relevant for future XB1 owners.  The XB1 does not support Surround Sound for the cable/satellite.  http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/live-tv/digital-sound-not-working

So if you have a home theater setup you'll want to weigh using that pass-through or not as, as of right now, there are tradeoffs.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: November 20, 2013, 04:33:21 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 20, 2013, 03:45:24 PM

with some marks against Kinect.  I thought this was supposed to be the refined version?  it has some great new features like the user recognition and logon, but the voice commands sound just as bad as before.  the IR blaster is great but as the Kotaku review points out, only if everything else it controls is already off.  so if you play both systems and wanted to swap over for some XB1 gaming from a different system, it turns those devices off.  and when you consider that most tv's feature that HDMI command pass through, that will make it turn off as well.  that sounds pretty frustrating, especially if you like to swap between both.  

they do mention that the surround pass-through is likely coming in a patch, so that should be addressed soon.

the polygon review points out that the exclusives are flawed but fun.  

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: November 20, 2013, 04:37:26 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 20, 2013, 05:15:36 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2013, 12:39:20 AM

Got the same.   Didn't get this for the PS4.   I checked my payment option thinking my card info might be wonky but it looks fine.

Maybe this email is precautionary to avoid problems they had with the PS4 launch?

probably.  sounds like the XB1s they put up for pre-order today sold out very quickly.

Because I can,
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: November 20, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »

No storage management on the XB1:

http://www.neowin.net/news/xbox-one-lacks-proper-storage-management-microsoft-says-it-is-automatic

You can't upgrade the storage and you have no way of telling how much space you have left.  thumbsdown

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: November 20, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »

http://www.neowin.net/news/xbox-one-lacks-proper-storage-management-microsoft-says-it-is-automatic

Xbox One was designed to make storage management automatic. For saved games, settings, and other information that Xbox One customers save to the cloud, space is virtually unlimited. On the internal hard drive in each Xbox One, games and apps can be uninstalled or reinstalled instantly with the click of the Xbox One menu button. Saved games and settings information is retrieved from the cloud for any game as its being reinstalled. By being smart about how storage is managed, Xbox One keeps everyone playing, watching, and sharing their entertainment content rather than worry about limitations. You can also see how much storage any app uses by pressing the menu button on that app.

that sounds interesting in theory.  Having the saved games being re-downloaded automatically instead of having to leave them laying around will be nice.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: November 20, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2013, 04:45:05 PM

Xbox One was designed to make storage management automatic. For saved games, settings, and other information that Xbox One customers save to the cloud, space is virtually unlimited. On the internal hard drive in each Xbox One, games and apps can be uninstalled or reinstalled instantly with the click of the Xbox One menu button. Saved games and settings information is retrieved from the cloud for any game as its being reinstalled. By being smart about how storage is managed, Xbox One keeps everyone playing, watching, and sharing their entertainment content rather than worry about limitations. You can also see how much storage any app uses by pressing the menu button on that app.

that sounds interesting in theory.  Having the saved games being re-downloaded automatically instead of having to leave them laying around will be nice.

yeah, this is a cool feature.  automatic management will be great for save games.  I've got a good chunk of my Elite's now-meager 120gb used by games I haven't played in years. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2381 on: November 20, 2013, 05:00:56 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 20, 2013, 04:46:52 PM

yeah, this is a cool feature.  automatic management will be great for save games.  I've got a good chunk of my Elite's now-meager 120gb used by games I haven't played in years. 

Sorry about barging into this thread (where I admittedly don't belong), but I find this to be a too fascinating topic to ignore.

It is a cool feature for most people, though the "hardcore" players should probably have an option to manage this for themselves. I'm sure it'll be coming. Here's the biggest problem with this kind of thing: Downloads.

Take Rock Band 3. I've got that game with a whole lot of DLC, but I don't play it very often. Sometimes I'll get the urge to sit down and play a few tunes though. What if my console had decided to delete the game and its DLC in the meantime? I would have to go through the install again, as well as have to download and install the DLC all over again. Sure, it would all be automatic, but how long would it take? My sudden urge to play the game would likely fizzle and die on the spot.

This goes for downloadable games too. Imagine downloading a 40GB game for your console, something that is going to be pretty common in this new generation. Then suddenly the console decides to delete it because you haven't played it in a while and you've been playing a bunch of other games instead. If you want to play it again, you have to download those 40GBs all over again. That's not good.

Don't get me wrong, I like the feature and find it wonderfully clever. I can even imagine Sony copying this concept in the future. It should just be possible to override for those who like control, IMO.

Alright, I'll step back out now. Enjoy the Xbox One, guys! I still have over a week to wait for my own console. Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: November 20, 2013, 05:08:13 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 20, 2013, 04:46:52 PM

I think it is also going to be great with rentals.  There have been plenty of times I've rented a game, played some of it, returned it before finishing it and ended up either buying it cheap at some point or renting it again, but in the interim I ended up removing the savegames.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: November 20, 2013, 05:24:50 PM »

cross-posted shorthand version from other thread:

the auto management stuff should be restricted from downloaded games and DLC.  they should also let you set exceptions for games so games like Rock Band don't get wiped out.  anything else is a hassle at best and a deal-breaker at worst. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: November 20, 2013, 08:04:33 PM »

and my console has shipped along with Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 should be shipping soon.  for some reason they didn't box everything together, so I'll have 3 packages coming.

still wondering what the 'Promotion Applied:    -$20.00' is from, not complaining though.

Because I can,
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: November 20, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »

I'll be picking my Xbone up at Best Buy on Friday. It's nice to not have to worry about waiting in line all day Thursday and dealing with crowds. biggrin

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: November 20, 2013, 09:01:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2013, 08:04:33 PM

and my console has shipped along with Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 should be shipping soon.  for some reason they didn't box everything together, so I'll have 3 packages coming.

still wondering what the 'Promotion Applied:    -$20.00' is from, not complaining though.

No shipping info on anything but Battlefield 4 yet, I'm actually thinking of taking Friday off so Amazon had better get on the stick, I don't need a forgeforsaken event on Friday.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: November 20, 2013, 09:44:52 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on November 20, 2013, 09:01:50 PM

No shipping info on anything but Battlefield 4 yet, I'm actually thinking of taking Friday off so Amazon had better get on the stick, I don't need a forgeforsaken event on Friday.

I like that forge has his own "event" forever listed in the history books lol.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: November 20, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »

Albert Penello clarifies:

That's not how it works.

We do automatically sync Save Games and Upload clips, so there is no need for storage management on that - it's all in the cloud.

For full downloads and Aps we do NOT automatically delete anything. You get a prompt when you run out of space, and you can manually uninstall what you want.

Keep in mind, external storage support is coming post-launch. This is a short-term issue we know needs to get better, but just for clarity we don't auto-delete anything.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: November 20, 2013, 10:21:35 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 20, 2013, 10:04:29 PM

That's not how it works.

We do automatically sync Save Games and Upload clips, so there is no need for storage management on that - it's all in the cloud.

For full downloads and Aps we do NOT automatically delete anything. You get a prompt when you run out of space, and you can manually uninstall what you want.

Keep in mind, external storage support is coming post-launch. This is a short-term issue we know needs to get better, but just for clarity we don't auto-delete anything.

Are you telling me that the knee-jerk anti-Microsoft reaction here on these forums was premature?

NONSENSE!!!!  

Yellowking!   Set Teggy straight please!  slywink
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: November 20, 2013, 10:32:16 PM »

The good news is that if finally showed up late Monday, but it was a total bummer not having it for the weekend.  Good luck to you all.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2391 on: November 20, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »

Got a call from EB games. I show up tomorrow night at 11:45, and get my console at 12. Platinum cards get called to the front.

Also: Stereo out only is clearly not the final product intent:

Support for digital surround sound from your cable or satellite box is currently available as a beta. By default, only stereo sound will be received.

Follow these steps to enable digital surround sound:

From Home, say “Xbox, go to Settings” or select the Settings tile from My games & apps.
Select TV & OneGuide.
Select Troubleshooting.
Select the Surround Sound (BETA) option.
Note Your Xbox One can produce digital surround sound for games and Blu-ray or DVD movies. Only the digital audio pass-through from your cable or satellite box is in beta.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: November 20, 2013, 11:13:31 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 20, 2013, 10:32:16 PM

The good news is that if finally showed up late Monday, but it was a total bummer not having it for the weekend.  Good luck to you all.

Btw, glad you got your unit

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: November 20, 2013, 11:33:24 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 20, 2013, 10:21:35 PM

That's not how it works.

Are you telling me that the knee-jerk anti-Microsoft reaction here on these forums was premature?

NONSENSE!!!!  

Yeah, not defensive at all...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: November 21, 2013, 01:04:09 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 20, 2013, 11:33:24 PM

Quote from: msduncan on November 20, 2013, 10:21:35 PM

That's not how it works.

NONSENSE!!!!  

Yeah, not defensive at all...

Not defensive.   Sick of the bullshit piling on that is going on in this forum.    Yellowking and Soulchilde would agree with me I think.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: November 21, 2013, 01:14:46 AM »

XBox One will allow you to update offline

Xbox Support step by step instructions

NiM$
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: November 21, 2013, 01:15:44 AM »

A couple of more days and maybe the console war bickering will simmer down or one could hope at least.  Here look at some help doc for downloading and installing the day one update from a usb drive - http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/emergency-offline-update.

I am looking forward to the three day one games myself and against my better judgement will probably download Crimson Dragon as well.  If anyone needs a drivatar(?) friend feel free to add me as a XB1 friend.

Beaten by Soulchilde smile
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: November 21, 2013, 01:27:55 AM »

Look, here's the deal.

Ever since E3 we've heard nothing but shit against the Xbox. Some of it warranted, some of it not. But on the Internet in general, those of us who decided to go Xbox have had to put up with a constant stream of negativity surrounding our choice. CONSTANT.

Over time a pattern emerged where negative press against the PS4 was dismissed or glossed over, while every tidbit of negative Xbox news was amplified. Why? I don't know - I honestly don't know why PS4 fans felt that the only way to feel good about their choice was to tear down the competition at every opportunity, but that's what happened.

When the PS4 launched I made a conscious choice not to say anything negative about it, even when I had ample opportunity to do so. (Note, I've said very little negative against the PS4 even before launch). I thought that by not raining on other's parade, I might be afforded the same courtesy. I was wrong. Xbox reviews come out, they are equal or better than the PS4, and what do we get? Congratulations? High fives? No, we get bitching about voice recognition, we get bitching about 5.1 pass through, we get bitching about storage management. It's almost comical the lengths the PS4 crowd will go to to negate those good reviews.

I came in and said one small thing - that both consoles could have used more time - an opinion echoed by many independent reviewers. I was then met with a diatribe of attacks against the Xbox, including such unfounded statements that voice recognition was broken when it is clearly not.

I lost my temper. I shouldnt have - I should have known I was being baited, but I lost my cool because I was so tired of months of this shit day after day. Defensive? Hell yes, it would make anyone defensive when they know every bit of good news they post will be shot down and every negative will be amplified.

But I'll tell you this - my defensiveness stops today, because I don't have a damn thing to be defensive about. The Xbox reviewed equal or better than the PS4. The launch titles have reviewed comparably, and the Xbox has more disc-based exclusives. And there have been no rumors of hardware issues or software crashes comparable to the PS4 (knock on wood.) That's fact, it can be independenty confirmed, and no amount of fanboy spin can change it.

This weekend I'll be posting impressions good and bad about the console. I won't be responding to any more trolling or snide comments. And if anyone wants to question what it does or doesn't do well when I'm playing it and you're not then all I can say is "Come at me bro!" The time for rumor, gossip, and Internet trolling is over. Shit is real now. God bless this forum, God bless America, hallelujah, holy shit, where's the Tylenol.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: November 21, 2013, 01:42:44 AM »

Yes I don't understand why you're being defensive either. I don't think anyone has spared Sony. Tons of people said that they wouldn't get the PS4 if it didn't have local streaming which as an extremely valid point.
Also, why are you expecting congratulations for good reviews? Did you make the game?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: November 21, 2013, 01:46:36 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 21, 2013, 01:27:55 AM

I was then met with a diatribe of attacks against the Xbox, including such unfounded statements that voice recognition was broken when it is clearly not.
Based on what I've seen, it clearly is. If you're going to do voice control, it can't be 80% accurate.  It has to be 99.5% accurate or else it just becomes a hassle.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: