http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 07:07:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 56615 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: November 08, 2013, 07:39:08 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 08, 2013, 04:03:45 PM

Another video about the TV integration.   This looks really impressive to me

I'm on the other end... this was the one thing that would've gotten me to buy an Xbox One sooner rather than later (or never) but the actual innovative stuff is still TBD. Oh well.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: November 08, 2013, 07:46:20 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 08, 2013, 06:17:59 PM

I'm mostly getting the Xbox One for the TV integration.  Mostly.

DVR control would be awesome but even without it, I'm looking forward to not having to switch HDMI channels on the TV between TV and Blu-Ray and gaming.  Hopefully I can pass the Apple TV through too?  Does anyone know?

I believe the XBone only has a single HDMI input.

I've been basically thinking that I'd run all of my other stuff through my receiver and then run that output to the Xbone, but then I'd have to still use my receiver remote to change inputs, which sort of defeats the purpose.

That's part of my issue with the architecture, it seems that a) they didn't really think about A/V receivers as a part of the ecosystem (which might be fair, I'd bet that's a relatively small portion of the market) and b) they assume that you will have an XBone, a cable/directv box, and nothing else. Which might make sense in the long run when everything is integrated, but in the short term does not at all work for me.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: November 08, 2013, 07:47:07 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 08, 2013, 07:39:08 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 08, 2013, 04:03:45 PM

Another video about the TV integration.   This looks really impressive to me

I'm on the other end... this was the one thing that would've gotten me to buy an Xbox One sooner rather than later (or never) but the actual innovative stuff is still TBD. Oh well.

Same here. I want to see the real innovation that they were hyping. That would be awesome and would really drive me to get a Xb1 sooner.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2243 on: November 08, 2013, 08:31:48 PM »

They haven't yet revealed volume controls, or TV turning on etc. I'm not sure they're done revealing things yet.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: November 08, 2013, 09:21:03 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 08, 2013, 07:46:20 PM

Quote from: rittchard on November 08, 2013, 06:17:59 PM

I'm mostly getting the Xbox One for the TV integration.  Mostly.

DVR control would be awesome but even without it, I'm looking forward to not having to switch HDMI channels on the TV between TV and Blu-Ray and gaming.  Hopefully I can pass the Apple TV through too?  Does anyone know?

I believe the XBone only has a single HDMI input.

I've been basically thinking that I'd run all of my other stuff through my receiver and then run that output to the Xbone, but then I'd have to still use my receiver remote to change inputs, which sort of defeats the purpose.

That's part of my issue with the architecture, it seems that a) they didn't really think about A/V receivers as a part of the ecosystem (which might be fair, I'd bet that's a relatively small portion of the market) and b) they assume that you will have an XBone, a cable/directv box, and nothing else. Which might make sense in the long run when everything is integrated, but in the short term does not at all work for me.
This is odd, since don't you need an AV receiver in order to do surround sound? I suspect that a lot of people have this, since there are cheap sets for under $300..
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: November 08, 2013, 10:51:27 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 08, 2013, 08:31:48 PM

They haven't yet revealed volume controls, or TV turning on etc. I'm not sure they're done revealing things yet.

wai... we'll be able to turn on the TV? if only the TV people had thought of some way to do this beforehand? Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: November 09, 2013, 12:15:37 AM »

As pointed out in Soulchilde's video, they had to start somewhere with TV integration. Once it's in a lot of homes and customers start to demand features, it's much easier to get content providers on board. I have no doubt we'll eventually see better DVR integration, but Rome wasn't built in a day.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:17:42 AM by YellowKing » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: November 09, 2013, 12:19:31 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 09, 2013, 12:15:37 AM

As pointed out in Soulchilde's video, they had to start somewhere with TV integration. Once it's in a lot of homes and customers start to demand features, it's much easier to get content providers on board. I have no doubt we'll eventually see better DVR integration, but Rome wasn't built in a day.
The problem is they really need to ship with a cable tuner card in the box, the XB1 should be capable of being your cable box.  Now we may see support of that in the future but it's going to require all new hardware, in which case the early adopters will need to upgrade.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: November 09, 2013, 12:39:15 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 09, 2013, 12:19:31 AM

The problem is they really need to ship with a cable tuner card in the box, the XB1 should be capable of being your cable box.  Now we may see support of that in the future but it's going to require all new hardware, in which case the early adopters will need to upgrade.

That's a good point actually. I wonder why they didn't do that. Wouldn't help me as I'm a DirecTV customer, but TiVo has used cable cards for years so I'm a bit confused there.

And yeah YK I agree with that point in the video, but it doesn't help me justify buying one right now. The integration in that video just doesn't add value for me. Hopefully later.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: November 09, 2013, 12:42:05 AM »

Yeah but that would lock you in to specific cable companies which is definitely not a good thing...  particularly for satellite, fiber, etc providers.  I think the hardware situation is actually decent given the amount of variation that's out there.  The question is how to get the software integration going.

For instance, one thing I don't get: given that they have control over the IR blaster, it seems like the Xbone should be able to generate any command that the remote normally does, which would include on/off, volume, etc.  And for that matter why wouldn't you be able to access the DVR functionality in the same way?  If Logitech can get their remotes to do stuff like that, certainly Microsoft can get the Xbone to do the same?  The only difference seems like using verbal commands or movements to substitute for specific button presses, which they clearly can do.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2250 on: November 09, 2013, 12:44:16 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 09, 2013, 12:42:05 AM

Yeah but that would lock you in to specific cable companies which is definitely not a good thing...  particularly for satellite, fiber, etc providers.  I think the hardware situation is actually decent given the amount of variation that's out there.  The question is how to get the software integration going.

For instance, one thing I don't get: given that they have control over the IR blaster, it seems like the Xbone should be able to generate any command that the remote normally does, which would include on/off, volume, etc.  And for that matter why wouldn't you be able to access the DVR functionality in the same way?  If Logitech can get their remotes to do stuff like that, certainly Microsoft can get the Xbone to do the same?  The only difference seems like using verbal commands or movements to substitute for specific button presses, which they clearly can do.

Probably because it'd be hilariously clunky.

Xbox List
Xbox down
Xbox down
Xbox down
Xbox Enter
Xbox Enter

Yeah I'd rather press the buttons.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: November 09, 2013, 12:51:28 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 09, 2013, 12:44:16 AM

The problem is they really need to ship with a cable tuner card in the box, the XB1 should be capable of being your cable box.  Now we may see support of that in the future but it's going to require all new hardware, in which case the early adopters will need to upgrade.

Yeah but that would lock you in to specific cable companies which is definitely not a good thing...  particularly for satellite, fiber, etc providers.  I think the hardware situation is actually decent given the amount of variation that's out there.  The question is how to get the software integration going.

For instance, one thing I don't get: given that they have control over the IR blaster, it seems like the Xbone should be able to generate any command that the remote normally does, which would include on/off, volume, etc.  And for that matter why wouldn't you be able to access the DVR functionality in the same way?  If Logitech can get their remotes to do stuff like that, certainly Microsoft can get the Xbone to do the same?  The only difference seems like using verbal commands or movements to substitute for specific button presses, which they clearly can do.

Xbox List
Xbox down
Xbox down
Xbox down
Xbox Enter
Xbox Enter

Yeah but we know it has speech recognition as well, so really just List is enough, maybe having access to Enter would be useful.

So I'm thinking:

Xbox List - brings up the full list of my recorded shows
Xbox Watch XXX - starts the show (of course this gets tricky with multiple episodes in a folder...)

edit: and also don't forget about using hand motions, etc to move the cursor around like they show in the one video.  So maybe you make a scroll down gesture to move down, and then a "stop" gesture for enter.  The point being this is all clearly very doable already through software.  All they would need is some way to allow user customization of assigning a specific motion or verbal command to a DVR command, similar to the way Logitech lets you custom program buttons to commands.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:58:44 AM by rittchard » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: November 09, 2013, 01:02:55 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 09, 2013, 12:51:28 AM

Quote from: gellar on November 09, 2013, 12:44:16 AM

Yeah but that would lock you in to specific cable companies which is definitely not a good thing...  particularly for satellite, fiber, etc providers.  I think the hardware situation is actually decent given the amount of variation that's out there.  The question is how to get the software integration going.

For instance, one thing I don't get: given that they have control over the IR blaster, it seems like the Xbone should be able to generate any command that the remote normally does, which would include on/off, volume, etc.  And for that matter why wouldn't you be able to access the DVR functionality in the same way?  If Logitech can get their remotes to do stuff like that, certainly Microsoft can get the Xbone to do the same?  The only difference seems like using verbal commands or movements to substitute for specific button presses, which they clearly can do.

Xbox List
Xbox down
Xbox down
Xbox down
Xbox Enter
Xbox Enter

Yeah but we know it has speech recognition as well, so really just List is enough, maybe having access to Enter would be useful.

So I'm thinking:

Xbox List - brings up the full list of my recorded shows
Xbox Watch XXX - starts the show (of course this gets tricky with multiple episodes in a folder...)

edit: and also don't forget about using hand motions, etc to move the cursor around like they show in the one video.  So maybe you make a scroll down gesture to move down, and then a "stop" gesture for enter.  The point being this is all clearly very doable already through software.  All they would need is some way to allow user customization of assigning a specific motion or verbal command to a DVR command, similar to the way Logitech lets you custom program buttons to commands.

The Xbox has no way of knowing what the show is on your DVR, you select shows on a DVR by a visual list.  Whatever the XB1 would be doing, it would be replicating button prompts.  The reason you can do voice control for live TV shows is that it has the TV guide built in for your provider.

Which reminds it sounded like not all cable providers would be supported.  I wonder if mine is, as my cable company is my town.  Hypothetical really as I'm not planning on getting an XB1 any time soon.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:12:04 AM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2253 on: November 09, 2013, 03:04:50 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 08, 2013, 10:51:27 PM

Quote from: Purge on November 08, 2013, 08:31:48 PM

wai... we'll be able to turn on the TV? if only the TV people had thought of some way to do this beforehand? Tongue
"Xbox on" turns on your receiver, tv, and console apparently.

Also, die, smartass, die.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: November 09, 2013, 03:10:07 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 09, 2013, 03:04:50 AM

Also, die, smartass, die.

Fabulous

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: November 09, 2013, 05:17:08 AM »

Target shipped this XB1 early.  Owner tried selling on eBay but eventually pulled it

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: November 09, 2013, 07:46:55 AM »

I see there was an other one out in the wild and a YouTube unboxing but it has been removed due to a copyright complaint by Microsoft. Copyright on an unboxing? WTF? I don't know if I'm more upset at Microsoft or Google.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: November 09, 2013, 07:54:25 AM »

Apparently they've already banned his account as well. Did MS rehire their old PR team?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2258 on: November 09, 2013, 08:37:23 AM »

*sigh* More fuel for the fire.

He'll be unbanned soon, unless MS has completely lost it.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: November 09, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »

Yeah, his console has been banned. There is no lift date on console bans....so that console of his is basically a brick now.

Poor PR move, MS.   thumbsdown

His account is fine, it was not banned....yet.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:24:24 PM by Hetz » Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: November 09, 2013, 12:39:57 PM »

Now that's just fucked up.  Not his fault Target broke street date

NiM$
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2261 on: November 09, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »

Target gets penalized with a pretty heavy fine for doing that.

I do think MS will lift the ban. They have to unless their enforcement team is made of idiots, and their marketing team is also made of idiots unable to see how much bad PR this is.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: November 09, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »

As I saw one MS rep explain, an early released console is essentially beta product. If that guy starts reporting issues that are not representative of the final patched product, MS could lose sales.

Pretty confident he'll be unbanned on launch day. I don't think this is a punishment as much as it is a protection mechanism for MS.

The good news is that most of his impressions were very positive.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2263 on: November 09, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »

Larry Hryb confirmed he's simply cut off till launch date.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: November 09, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 09, 2013, 01:16:54 PM

I do think MS will lift the ban. They have to unless their enforcement team is made of idiots, and their marketing team is also made of idiots unable to see how much bad PR this is.

People will be fired at Target for this. We were told at Best Buy that anyone that breaks street date on a next gen console--even someone who reserves a console for themselves during launch day--will be fired. Heads will roll at Target for this fuck up.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: November 09, 2013, 10:57:27 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 09, 2013, 08:12:59 PM

Quote from: Turtle on November 09, 2013, 01:16:54 PM

People will be fired at Target for this. We were told at Best Buy that anyone that breaks street date on a next gen console--even someone who reserves a console for themselves during launch day--will be fired. Heads will roll at Target for this fuck up.

maybe they'll be shipped out with the XB1's that ship when they're supposed to.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: November 11, 2013, 02:03:24 PM »

Every2Minutes.com  Mtn Dew is running their campaign again for the new MS console.  I only point this out cause I actually won my first 360 from their Every10Minutes contest

NiM$
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2267 on: November 11, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »

Well, I do have a friend that drinks a lot of mountain dew, so I'll ask him for any codes he ends up with.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2268 on: November 11, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »

I sure hope there is a "If you can see my naughty bits disable the Kinect Camera" option.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: November 11, 2013, 04:50:02 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 11, 2013, 02:03:24 PM

Every2Minutes.com  Mtn Dew is running their campaign again for the new MS console.  I only point this out cause I actually won my first 360 from their Every10Minutes contest

it's been running for awhile.  I wonder how many caps I through away without realizing it.

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: November 11, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »

I sure hope there is a "If you can see my naughty bits disable the Kinect Camera" option.

I don't care. If Kinect wants to stare at my hot bod, let it. In fact, I may just play in my silk boxers just to give her a little thrill. (Yes, my Kinect is a girl).
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: November 11, 2013, 06:08:56 PM »

Is there going to be a 360voice equivalent for XB1?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: November 11, 2013, 06:13:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 11, 2013, 06:08:56 PM

shouldn't the existing system work? 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2273 on: November 11, 2013, 06:51:10 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 11, 2013, 06:13:15 PM

It should. The damn thing reports on my WP8 live gaming.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: November 11, 2013, 08:39:50 PM »

I have no idea!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: November 12, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »

Quote from: ATB on November 11, 2013, 08:39:50 PM

I have no idea!
it won't work because you want it to work!

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2276 on: November 12, 2013, 04:52:27 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Vlsqft27I&feature=player_detailpage

Skydrive app.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: November 12, 2013, 05:06:00 AM »

Sweet! About six months ago I moved all of my photos and videos to my Skydrive account for backup, not even thinking about it integrating with the Xbox. My wife is going to absolutely love that feature.

I'm still pretty impressed with the voice recognition.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: November 12, 2013, 05:09:15 AM »

sweet!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: November 12, 2013, 05:20:04 AM »

XB1 games being shipped to retailers.  I wonder if Amazon will start shipping them out early.  of course, without the console it doesn't matter much.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: