http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:10:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 82547 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1920 on: September 09, 2013, 05:30:22 AM »

I really don't know what to say at this point. I could maybe try to spell out the realities of business for you, but you'd probably just steer the argument in a different direction and present another inane counterargument. Let's just make it simple:

Developers are not equal to publishers, even if it's an internal studio. Publishers benefit from maximum amounts of sales. Publishers do not benefit from used sales. Online only stops used sales.

Let's see you try and steer that argument off topic.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1921 on: September 09, 2013, 05:46:02 AM »

online-only < online+offline markets(by the very definition of inclusion), and with todays "license to play" schemes (eg: buy a used copy of a game, and then pay for an online license) pubs can-and-do get paid, so NO, you're wrong.

Why are you in this thread again? To discuss a console you have no interest in?

In Canuckistan, we might call that trolling.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: September 09, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 08, 2013, 08:33:35 PM

Xbox One UI on Youtube. Watch it before it gets pulled. Could be a matter of minutes.

It looks almost exactly like the Windows 8 UI which nobody likes. Microsoft will have an uphill battle convincing people that this is the way to go, but if they can do it somehow, it'll probably translate into bigger acceptance of Windows 8, which is probably their plan anyway.

Edit: It's been pulled.

Once is on the internet it's never really gone

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: September 09, 2013, 02:43:06 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 09, 2013, 05:46:02 AM

online-only < online+offline markets(by the very definition of inclusion), and with todays "license to play" schemes (eg: buy a used copy of a game, and then pay for an online license) pubs can-and-do get paid, so NO, you're wrong.

Why are you in this thread again? To discuss a console you have no interest in?

In Canuckistan, we might call that trolling.
At least he's consistent in his hatred of the xbox one haha. Gotta give him that. I've stopped responding to him on oo because he has proven to be a fan boi nothing more. Does the same thing at oo. Or rather did before it was pointed out how ridiculous it was becoming to simply bash bash bash about a console that will do well that the person has no intent of buying and likely never did.

I for one am very excited about the xb1. More so as the time approaches. Can't wait for forza. Especially can't wait for titanfall next year. And don't get me started on project spark.

I'm glad ms changed its tune but its just delaying the inevitable. Discs are a thing of the past, I for one am ready to move on from them.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1924 on: September 09, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »

One of my biggest gripes about my 360 (and my old PS3Phat) was the sound of the disk spinning - sometimes I had to turn the sound down, and that was distracting.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: September 09, 2013, 03:21:23 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 09, 2013, 03:20:07 PM

One of my biggest gripes about my 360 (and my old PS3Phat) was the sound of the disk spinning - sometimes I had to turn the sound down, and that was distracting.

I just installed every game, helped a ton.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1926 on: September 09, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 09, 2013, 10:33:18 AM

Xbox One UI on Youtube. Watch it before it gets pulled. Could be a matter of minutes.

It looks almost exactly like the Windows 8 UI which nobody likes. Microsoft will have an uphill battle convincing people that this is the way to go, but if they can do it somehow, it'll probably translate into bigger acceptance of Windows 8, which is probably their plan anyway.

You know what? That tile system is LIGHTYEARS better than the 360 - it's how it works properly. If I want Netflix and a couple games I'm playing up on the main screen right at the beginning so I can get into them right away, PERFECT. *HOW* you interact with the tiles to customize them is the big question, and that's something we'll have to wait and see on - I hate the "Pins" subsection on the 360 - a total waste. I'd also like to point out that there is far less advertising (from what I can see) on that video clip.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1927 on: September 09, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 09, 2013, 03:21:23 PM

I just installed every game, helped a ton.

Me too - but if I had a new game (or deleted one because of space issues on my 250GB addon to my 4GB 360-S) I'd still have to put up with drive noise. RB3 takes up a hell of a lot of space on that drive with all the songs I've dl'ed for drunken revelry.

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: September 09, 2013, 03:44:34 PM »

Yeah mine is behind glass in a cabinet so I never hear it but if I leave the cabinet open I sometimes will look down thinking "what the heck is that noise?" Before realizing it's the xbox disc drive.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: September 09, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »

Quote from: Chrisoc13 on September 09, 2013, 03:44:34 PM

Yeah mine is behind glass in a cabinet so I never hear it but if I leave the cabinet open I sometimes will look down thinking "what the heck is that noise?" Before realizing it's the xbox disc drive.

Are you guys talking about a "slim" model here? While it was certainly an issue for the original design, I don't have an issue with the drive in my Slim. Heck, I seldom bother to install things to the hard drive anymore.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1930 on: September 09, 2013, 04:14:27 PM »

From my limited understanding of this, I think the main source of the noise was that a DVD needs to spin faster than a blu-ray, and that can get loud with some drives. Now that both consoles use more advanced blu-ray technology, it shouldn't be a problem for either. I suspect fan noise is a bigger risk. The Xbox One has bigger fans, which typically translates into less noise, but its memory architecture should produce more heat. The PS4 has smaller fans but a somewhat more ambitious design in its air throughput, not to mention its extremely experienced hardware teams. Nobody has been able to reach any consensus on noise levels for either consoles at this point, and it could definitely go either way, if any way at all.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: September 09, 2013, 05:00:05 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 09, 2013, 04:07:41 PM

Quote from: Chrisoc13 on September 09, 2013, 03:44:34 PM

Are you guys talking about a "slim" model here? While it was certainly an issue for the original design, I don't have an issue with the drive in my Slim. Heck, I seldom bother to install things to the hard drive anymore.
I'm still rocking my original xbox 360. No problems ever with it other than the noise so I've never changed, no reason to.

Honestly since mine is behind glass it doesn't even bother me and isn't something I've even thought about next generation. It is so low on my list of considerations it doesn't even register. But dang my 360 is loud when I keep the cabinet open!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: September 09, 2013, 05:40:49 PM »

To represent the other side of things: noise has been an annoyance for me with both the PS3 and the 360.  It's bad enough when I'm gaming--it's offset a bit by how loud most games are--but when I'm watching movies the fan noise detracts from the experience.  When it comes time for me to finally make a next-gen purchase, if all else ends up being fairly equal between the two I could easily see the system noise being what tips the scales.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: September 09, 2013, 06:33:18 PM »

yikes that contoller looks big, like the original xbox big...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1934 on: September 09, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »

Quote from: naednek on September 09, 2013, 06:33:18 PM

It's clearly not.  If you have been paying attention and watching other footage, screenshots and presentations it's about the same size as the 360 controller, but slightly smaller in some areas. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1935 on: September 09, 2013, 08:00:10 PM »

I think that was the camerawork at play there - it isn't at all like the original Xbox controller.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: September 09, 2013, 08:04:12 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 09, 2013, 08:00:10 PM

I think that was the camerawork at play there - it isn't at all like the original Xbox controller.

that guy probably has small, girlie hands.  here's a side by side:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1937 on: September 09, 2013, 08:11:33 PM »

here's some more size comparisons - you can see that the PS4 and XB1 controllers are basically the same size, though the PS4's looks slightly larger.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: September 09, 2013, 09:08:53 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 09, 2013, 04:14:27 PM

From my limited understanding of this, I think the main source of the noise was that a DVD needs to spin faster than a blu-ray, and that can get loud with some drives. Now that both consoles use more advanced blu-ray technology, it shouldn't be a problem for either. I suspect fan noise is a bigger risk. The Xbox One has bigger fans, which typically translates into less noise, but its memory architecture should produce more heat. The PS4 has smaller fans but a somewhat more ambitious design in its air throughput, not to mention its extremely experienced hardware teams. Nobody has been able to reach any consensus on noise levels for either consoles at this point, and it could definitely go either way, if any way at all.

bluray actually has the disadvantage here because though it stores more, the slower spinning is a 'bad' thing.  It meant that games can't/couldn't stream enough data on the fly and HAD to be installed just to run.  I suspect mandatory installs on both systems this time around.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1939 on: September 09, 2013, 09:29:58 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 09, 2013, 09:08:53 PM

bluray actually has the disadvantage here because though it stores more, the slower spinning is a 'bad' thing.  It meant that games can't/couldn't stream enough data on the fly and HAD to be installed just to run.  I suspect mandatory installs on both systems this time around.

Yeah, I was talking about noise only. I think both Sony and Microsoft have confirmed that there will be mandatory installs on their systems this coming generation, but I may remember wrong. We should be grateful for that. Developers will be able to design their games for the faster HD read speeds instead of making compromises for reading from disc.

As for the blu-ray speeds, I'll have to take your word on that. I was led to believe that blu-ray could read with low speeds because it gathered comparatively much more data over a shorter "distance" on the disc, eliminating any speed difference between the two. I never really bothered to research that. In any case, from what I understand both systems will have 6x blu-ray drives this time around, which should be 3 times as fast as the PS3 drive. I suspect neither of them will do much reading from that disc during gameplay, instead storing any actively used data to the HD.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1940 on: September 09, 2013, 09:43:01 PM »

Haven't heard both companies talk about mandatory installs specifically, but we do know they're both doing it. This will be fine, it's not the same crappy process as with the 360 and PS3 where you have down time before playing the game. Instead, both consoles have technology that will stream data to the hard drive while playing, and both consoles have hardware compression systems to compress and decompress data on the fly, resulting in higher bandwidth overall.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: September 09, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »

PS3's blu-ray drive is a 2X which has the same speed as the min speed of a 12X dvd drive that XBOX 360 use but slower than the max speed (DVD-DRIVE read much faster on the outer edge than the inner edge). So the PS3's drive is same or slower than XBOX 360 but if they use a 4X blu-ray drive then it is the same as the max speed of a 12 X dvd drive.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1942 on: September 10, 2013, 12:02:01 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on September 09, 2013, 10:30:00 PM

bluray actually has the disadvantage here because though it stores more, the slower spinning is a 'bad' thing.  It meant that games can't/couldn't stream enough data on the fly and HAD to be installed just to run.  I suspect mandatory installs on both systems this time around.

PS3's blu-ray drive is a 2X which has the same speed as the min speed of a 12X dvd drive that XBOX 360 use but slower than the max speed (DVD-DRIVE read much faster on the outer edge than the inner edge). So the PS3's drive is same or slower than XBOX 360 but if they use a 4X blu-ray drive then it is the same as the max speed of a 12 X dvd drive.

IIRC the Xbox reads from the outside first, where the data reads faster. May be wrong - that might have been the Original Xbox (appropriately shortened to OX).

Tossing this in here for future reference - didn't want to actually have to go and look it up - and was looking for info on disk limitations while typing this reply.

Spoiler for Don Mattrick's Xbox One Policy change:
Your Feedback Matters – Update on Xbox One

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:
•An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
•Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console — there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: September 10, 2013, 02:47:16 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 09, 2013, 08:11:33 PM

here's some more size comparisons - you can see that the PS4 and XB1 controllers are basically the same size, though the PS4's looks slightly larger.

after seeing the original (been a long time) I take back my statement.  From the video it just looked bigger. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1944 on: September 10, 2013, 04:20:25 AM »

Quote from: naednek on September 10, 2013, 02:47:16 AM

after seeing the original (been a long time) I take back my statement.  From the video it just looked bigger. 

I forgot about the LB/RB being Black and White.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: September 10, 2013, 09:07:47 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 09, 2013, 08:04:12 PM

Quote from: Purge on September 09, 2013, 08:00:10 PM

that guy probably has small, girlie hands. 

yup,because this video on here,it looks quite small
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-16074-Xbox-One-vs--PlayStation-4--The-Battle-of-the-Controllers.html

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1946 on: September 10, 2013, 09:58:50 AM »

I have large hands and held both at PAX, to me, they both felt fine. The PS4 actually felt small due to grips, the XB1 is a different controller, but familiar enough. The new dpad is a godsend. Didn't get enough time to comment on specifics though, since I was too absorbed into Titanfall jetpack parkour. Tongue

Changing the B&W buttons to LB RB was a great decision.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: September 10, 2013, 10:46:18 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 10, 2013, 09:58:50 AM

I have large hands and held both at PAX, to me, they both felt fine. The PS4 actually felt small due to grips, the XB1 is a different controller, but familiar enough. The new dpad is a godsend. Didn't get enough time to comment on specifics though, since I was too absorbed into Titanfall jetpack parkour. Tongue

I would have thought Microsoft would of stuck with the twisty D-Pad,because that seemed popular,although if you have a D-Pad that just works without pissing about with it,then i guess that is a bonus

you made me remember when playing original xbox games on my 360,i made a little ...thing.... that helped me remember which was which

"Right is not white" Tongue
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:53:51 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: September 10, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »

I just sold another of my Jeep parts on ebay for an additional $150.     I have now saved $800 towards the purchase of both consoles through sales of various Jeep parts, games, etc on eBay.   

I am $100 away from being enemy bait for Harkonis.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: September 10, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 10, 2013, 04:20:25 AM

Quote from: naednek on September 10, 2013, 02:47:16 AM

I forgot about the LB/RB being Black and White.

yeah, those were the days.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1950 on: September 10, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 10, 2013, 09:58:50 AM

this.  they were always out of place.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: September 10, 2013, 10:53:07 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 10, 2013, 05:23:48 PM

I just sold another of my Jeep parts on ebay for an additional $150.     I have now saved $800 towards the purchase of both consoles through sales of various Jeep parts, games, etc on eBay.   

I am $100 away from being enemy bait for Harkonis.

Hmm this is an interesting concept. I thought the only option was just to increase spending! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: September 13, 2013, 04:15:43 AM »

play the Xbox One early.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: September 20, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »

This is interesting

remember that HDMi in port?,well apparently one of the things you can connect to it is....the PS4

which means that you could 'play' a PS4 game with the "Xbox One Overlay"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/430305/ps4-can-feed-into-xbox-one-microsoft-exec-confirms/

Xbox One can read the HDMI signal from a PS4 and thus allow Microsoft's console to host Sony's, an executive has confirmed.

Because of the Xbox One's HDMI-in port, users will be able to feed the PS4's HDMI cable into the rival system. The on-screen result would be a PS4 running within an Xbox One overlay.

Microsoft executive Albert Panello confirmed that Xbox One users could theoretically multi-task between both consoles.

"Any application can be snapped to a game... so if you wanted to be playing Ryse and Killzone at the same time, you could snap that," he said, as quoted by Gamespot.

Killzone is a PlayStation-owned IP, with a new instalment in the series due for the PS4's launch.

Panello's comments also imply that any games console outputting through an HDMI cable can be displayed on the Xbox One, from Xbox 360 to PS3.

The Xbox executive, who was speaking to gathered journalists at the Tokyo Game Show, also warned users against vertically standing their Xbox Ones.

and yeah,no Vertically standing the Xbox One
Vertically stand the Xbox One at your own risk...it's not designed for that

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: September 20, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »

interesting.  wonder if Sony will find a way to block that, or if they'd want to.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:47:49 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1955 on: September 20, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »

They can't, and won't block it. There's probably some legal obligation to not messing with proper HDMI connectivity.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1956 on: September 20, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »

Well, that will make multiplatform side-by-side comparisons easier! Tongue

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1957 on: September 20, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »

this bit about not standing your console up vertically annoys me and I'm not even buying an XB1.  is the disc tray that badly designed that a vertical position is going to be a problem?  I've had both my 360 and PS3 vertical the entire time I've owned them and the PS3 is a slot loader.  It's the only way they can be arranged on my entertainment center. 

I love the justification that "only" 20% of people have theirs vertical means they don't have to design for it.  seeing has how Kinect sales are "only" 10% higher than this, I suggest that MS re-evaluate their decision to only have systems with Kinect bundled as clearly, the market isn't strong enough to warrant the expense.   Roll Eyes

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: September 20, 2013, 04:44:47 PM »

It increases the mechanical engineering requirements quite a bit since you have to take into account a lot of additional factors to just the tray.

99% of other electronics only works horizontally. I always thought it was kind of silly of console manufacturers to even have this option. Lots of additional expense for zero additional revenue.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1959 on: September 20, 2013, 06:41:43 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 20, 2013, 04:35:39 PM

this bit about not standing your console up vertically annoys me and I'm not even buying an XB1.

I'm pretty sure that if the article stated that they WERE allowing vertical and horizontal positions, you'd be annoyed at how they were copying the PS4 design, or how they were wasting engineering slywink. I keed, I keed.

I fully expect to have it horizontal allatime. The vertical position allows for some flexibility, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense and adds a level of awkwardness to switching disks (slot OR tray) as you generally address consoles that are below your eye level, so looking -and moving- downwards is natural.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 06:43:31 PM by Purge » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: