http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:02:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 77496 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: August 27, 2013, 09:10:48 AM »

they'll probably make it the day COD comes out and we'll be screwed with the most horrific midnight launch ever.  It will also make me feel odd for having preordered both versions of COD slywink
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1801 on: August 27, 2013, 09:37:04 AM »

Keep in mind that there were plenty of pretty reputable leakers talking about Oct 21 for the PS4, and that turned out false.

This might happen, but I doubt it. Or, if it does release on that date, there's going to be some problems considering word about their current software issues.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 27, 2013, 03:09:40 PM »

Question for those pre ordering. I have a day one edition pre ordered and I was looking at what else us available and I noticed there is a day one edition gold card. I already have xbox live and will just be transferring it over obviously. Do I not get the freebies unless I pre order the card?

I prefer just paying on my credit card each time but if the only way to get the freebies is the gold card I guess I could pay that way this year, although I don't think my live membership is up for another 3 months or so after launch.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 27, 2013, 05:44:50 PM »

Quote from: Chrisoc13 on August 27, 2013, 03:09:40 PM

Question for those pre ordering. I have a day one edition pre ordered and I was looking at what else us available and I noticed there is a day one edition gold card. I already have xbox live and will just be transferring it over obviously. Do I not get the freebies unless I pre order the card?

I prefer just paying on my credit card each time but if the only way to get the freebies is the gold card I guess I could pay that way this year, although I don't think my live membership is up for another 3 months or so after launch.

You can use both...  I stacked up on cheap live cards (3 years at one point) without removing my credit card info, MSFT will use your stored live cards before charging your membership.  So my opinionis get the card and don't worry about it

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 27, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »

Cool thanks for the info. That's what I will do it seems.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 27, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 27, 2013, 09:10:48 AM

they'll probably make it the day COD comes out and we'll be screwed with the most horrific midnight launch ever.  It will also make me feel odd for having preordered both versions of COD slywink

and then Sony could move up to the same date for the PS4 release.... many a Gamestop would implode that night icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 28, 2013, 05:08:22 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 27, 2013, 07:53:26 AM

Shocking news that nobody expected:
http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-will-not-launch-on-november-8-after-all-1211069173
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 28, 2013, 05:15:58 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 28, 2013, 05:08:22 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 27, 2013, 07:53:26 AM

Shocking news that nobody expected:
http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-will-not-launch-on-november-8-after-all-1211069173

like I said, release date roulette.  put your chips on a date, cover enough and you're sure to win!

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1808 on: August 28, 2013, 09:13:04 AM »

I think Sony was actually ready to release on Oct 21 as per the original rumors if they thought MS was anywhere near releasing on the Nov 8 rumored release date.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 29, 2013, 12:14:38 AM »

Kinect 2.0, ladies and gentlemen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xYctLfM7ufA

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 29, 2013, 12:46:13 AM »

Quote from: gellar on August 29, 2013, 12:14:38 AM

That looks utterly dumb and useless.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 29, 2013, 12:48:02 AM »

SLAPFIGHT!

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1812 on: August 29, 2013, 01:35:31 AM »

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA...

Oh that looks like such shit.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 29, 2013, 02:04:36 AM »

The Kinect 2 finally has the fidelity to accomplish Wii Sports waggle-boxing from 2008!
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 29, 2013, 02:12:30 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 29, 2013, 12:46:13 AM

That looks utterly dumb and useless.

It shows some potential for Kinect Mudwrestling. When are they going to demo that?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: August 29, 2013, 03:25:41 AM »

I had fun with my Kinect 1.0 in only two instances: dancing games, and fitness games. Not surprisingly, those are two genres in which a traditional controller is practically useless. Any other application is, in my mind, always going to be an unnecessary gimmick.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: August 29, 2013, 03:49:21 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 29, 2013, 03:25:41 AM

Any other application is, in my mind, always going to be an unnecessary gimmick.

The motion control concept behind Steel Battalion on the Kinect was pretty nifty; it just didn't work at all.  I really like the idea of a hybrid controller + Kinectification.  If they release an Xbone Steel Battalion and the new Kinect can actually pull off what they attempted the first time?  Could be a really tempting.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1817 on: August 29, 2013, 04:56:06 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 29, 2013, 03:49:21 AM

Any other application is, in my mind, always going to be an unnecessary gimmick.
The motion control concept behind Steel Battalion on the Kinect was pretty nifty; it just didn't work at all.  I really like the idea of a hybrid controller + Kinectification.  If they release an Xbone Steel Battalion and the new Kinect can actually pull off what they attempted the first time?  Could be a really tempting.

Except I'd still rather just push B. Or X or Y or whatever button they use.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: August 29, 2013, 05:37:23 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 29, 2013, 04:56:06 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on August 29, 2013, 03:49:21 AM

Except I'd still rather just push B. Or X or Y or whatever button they use.

While I'm right with you for just about every attempt at this stuff that's ever been done, if someone actually achieves non-shitty motion sensing you would be able to have B, X, and Y doing some other important function while the theoretical "it actually works" motion sensing gives you additional intuitive commands.

Just brainstorming off the top of my head, but imagine a squad based shooter that lets you control your own guy with the controller like any other shooter and give commands to your team with hand signals, rather than having to deal with radial command menus via the controller.  Or imagine having some kind of combat racing game: for the driving component you have a standard steering wheel peripheral with fewer buttons and no analog stick, but the motion sensing gives you an ability to aim and shoot weapons with one hand while keeping the other hand on the wheel.

Again, this is all with the gigantic caveat of "if it works."  Mainly I'm just saying that I'm more excited about the idea of hybrid controller + motion controlled games than I am about more motion-only games.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: August 29, 2013, 05:47:57 AM »

I see kinect as something that would be usefull the day we add holograms to the consoles as well, giving us Minority Report-style interfaces. Then I'm all aboard (As an aside - Minority Report the movie is scary in how close to actual user interfaces on touch screens of today it actually was. I wonder if it inspired Iphone developers and Gesture controlling UI's like Kinect ?).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:50:38 AM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1820 on: August 29, 2013, 05:57:53 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 29, 2013, 05:37:23 AM

Just brainstorming off the top of my head, but imagine a squad based shooter that lets you control your own guy with the controller like any other shooter and give commands to your team with hand signals, rather than having to deal with radial command menus via the controller.  Or imagine having some kind of combat racing game: for the driving component you have a standard steering wheel peripheral with fewer buttons and no analog stick, but the motion sensing gives you an ability to aim and shoot weapons with one hand while keeping the other hand on the wheel.

The first is poor because you're taking a hand off of the controller. Thus, using hand signals is again much slower than just pushing B. Also if you get surprised you're no longer in position to do anything about it as your hands are out of position of the controller.

The second could actually work. Although it won't be quite as easy to drive the car with using say, L1 for gas and L2 for brake. That said, yes, if you had real pedals that wouldn't be an issue anymore. Then it would be kinda fun.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: August 29, 2013, 06:23:15 AM »

I could see Kinect being useful for head tracking - and nothing else. Ok yes it could be useful for dancing games and fitness games but I'm not interested in the first and I'll just go for a jog if I need the second.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: August 29, 2013, 06:46:36 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 29, 2013, 05:57:53 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on August 29, 2013, 05:37:23 AM

The first is poor because you're taking a hand off of the controller. Thus, using hand signals is again much slower than just pushing B. Also if you get surprised you're no longer in position to do anything about it as your hands are out of position of the controller.

Some loss of control can fit with the game.  A person making a hand signal in real life is a person who isn't ready to shoot his gun.  And the "just push B" oversimplifies games that have numerous commands being awkwardly crammed into the controller.  Once you start getting into having to press modifier buttons to make other buttons do other things, hand motions could potentially be quicker or more intuitive.  Controller-commands can be so cumbersome that some games just break down and pause the action when you start to input certain commands.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: August 29, 2013, 12:01:09 PM »

squad commands are something I see being handled by the PS4 touchpad in a much better capacity.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: August 29, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »

I still have zero desire for or interest in anything Kinect related. Don't have one on my 360 and the forced inclusion of it in the XB1 is keeping me from pre-ordering it. So far. I'm sure I'll get one eventually... gotta have my toys.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: August 29, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »

From the Xbox One official site.

*6  Xbox voice commands will not be available in all markets on the product release date. Voice commands will be available at launch in US, UK, CA, FR, and DE.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: August 29, 2013, 08:06:15 PM »

audio quality comparison between the 360 and the XB1.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1827 on: August 29, 2013, 08:24:11 PM »

At last the quality is moving past old-school telephone quality. Tongue It's nice to see a bit of focus added to something like audio quality for chat though. I wonder how the PS4's chat quality will compare.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: August 30, 2013, 02:43:59 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on August 29, 2013, 03:24:57 PM

From the Xbox One official site.

*6  Xbox voice commands will not be available in all markets on the product release date. Voice commands will be available at launch in US, UK, CA, FR, and DE.
At the risk of being called a fanboy it's pretty obvious that MS has not got their shit together. First it was mostly a worldwide release, then NA and Europe, then only 13 countries (in Europe?)  and now voice commands only work for 8 of those countries. The "Xbox on" command will work in even fewer than that (how is that even possible).
I'd love to know what's going inside MS. Is it due to all the changes they've made? Did they overestimate their ability to finish on time? Were they not expecting Sony to release as early as they actually are going to? Or did they just not realize that voice recognition is hard?
All of these little steps back make it seem like they're a chicken running around with their head cut off. If it were any other company acting like that I would not touch their hardware with a 10 foot pole. I suppose MS deserves the benefit of the doubt.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: August 30, 2013, 02:47:45 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 30, 2013, 02:43:59 AM

At the risk of being called a fanboy

and now voice commands only work for 8 of those countries. The "Xbox on" command will work in even fewer than that (how is that even possible).

well if everyone would speak American it wouldn't be a problem.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: August 30, 2013, 03:43:31 AM »

So what's going to happen when people are talking on the phone and say "let's play some Xbox on Sunday".
smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: August 30, 2013, 04:12:57 AM »

by now you should realize you don't talk on your phone in front of it because the NSA will be watching and listening; the whole 'you can disKinect the Kinect' was just a ruse to hide the fact they put cameras and mics in the actual console.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: August 30, 2013, 05:05:16 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 30, 2013, 04:12:57 AM

by now you should realize you don't talk on your phone in front of it because the NSA will be watching and listening; the whole 'you can disKinect the Kinect' was just a ruse to hide the fact they put cameras and mics in the actual console.
This was funnier when I read it the first time-in the wrong thread! :p
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: August 30, 2013, 06:57:15 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 30, 2013, 04:12:57 AM

so your new plan now to push your post count up is that you are just posting the same thing in different threads? icon_wink

(This is where you respond with a smiley) Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: August 30, 2013, 11:23:31 AM »

yep.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: August 30, 2013, 11:33:20 AM »

I said a smiley damn it!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: August 30, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »

Nope.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: August 31, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »

Xbox One to be released 'late'  November?
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/08/30/xbox-one-launching-in-late-november-2013
Pretty much the only new console information left to find out is the xbox release date. At first I thought they were being coy but Sony has shown their hand. Do THEY know when the release date is, I wonder? When does PAX start?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: August 31, 2013, 09:30:50 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 31, 2013, 09:15:50 PM

When does PAX start?

yesterday.  at this point I'm guessing TGS 2013 for the announcement.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: August 31, 2013, 09:56:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2013, 09:30:50 PM

Quote from: Canuck on August 31, 2013, 09:15:50 PM

When does PAX start?

yesterday.  at this point I'm guessing TGS 2013 for the announcement.

That would be ironic given it may never even be released in Japan.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: