http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 07:05:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 56614 times)
Zinfan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: August 21, 2013, 12:51:34 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 21, 2013, 12:30:33 AM

I'll have an automated Titan to follow me around, I won't need you anymore...  ninja

Who are you going to shoot in the head then?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: August 21, 2013, 01:18:42 AM »

When does Titanfall come out?   It's not on the launch list?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: August 21, 2013, 01:40:01 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 21, 2013, 01:18:42 AM

When does Titanfall come out?   It's not on the launch list?

it's a Q1 2014 game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: August 21, 2013, 03:17:06 AM »

cross posting my oh my

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/gamescom-call-of-duty-ghosts-will-have-dedicated-servers-on-xbox-one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1764 on: August 21, 2013, 05:13:38 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 20, 2013, 07:01:51 PM

Whoa, whoa! Hang on! Are you trying to claim that AAA status has anything at all to do with Metacritic scores? You're far off the mark. AAA is only used in games to refer to development costs. A game title is AAA only if it has an AAA budget. What Metacritic score the game has is completely irrelevant.

Quote from: TiLT on August 20, 2013, 07:53:27 PM

Wikipedia sums it up neatly in one sentence: "AAA game, a lingo in the video game industry for games developed for major platforms with enormous marketing budgets."

Your reality check just bounced.

You talk dev costs, you rail on about MS not paying devs, yet here you stand using a reference to publishing cost and claim I've got it "so amazingly wrong". Funny that.

Here's something that should help you - one line in a Wikipedia article does not define AAA, since it's definition is fairly open to interpretation. I found another one that supports your original development idea.

A AAA game, or pronounced "triple-A game", is generally a title developed by a large studio, funded by a massive budget.

These games will have a marketing budget in the multiple-millions of dollars, and are planned to earn out in excess of one million titles sold. Investors/publishers expect a multiple-of-cost return on their investment. In order to recoup general development costs, publishers will generally produce the title for the major platforms (currently Xbox 360, PS3, and PC) to maximize profits, unless it is a console exclusive, in which case the console maker will pay for exclusivity to offset the loss of potential profit to the developer.

Basically, the scale of development and marketing is larger, and is generally reserved for multi-platform games to recoup costs (by this definition). On top of that, exclusive games require monies to lock it up.

So these eight EXCLUSIVE games, by the definition above, are being PAID DIRECTLY to keep the games exclusive, and only two of the IP's are owned by MS. Done. Argument over. Not all of them (Lococycle, for instance, which didn't interest me enough to pick up and play) are going to fall into the "millions" mark of an AAA launch. Crimson Dragon may, depending on how hard they sell it - how much they spend to actually push it forward. For me, I don't think it will be AAA by that definition, though the game itself may earn its place beside it's predecessor as a must-play experience.

So you have some of the games that land in the AAA dev/pub pile - none of which being Halo or Gears (your comment, not mine).

As for Forza? Dude, you can't argue Forza isn't AAA, both in development and in publishing and licensing costs. They had a MacLaren P1 sitting right beside their theater for Forza 5 - only one of two in the world at that time. Yeah. That's some homely budget they've got going there, with their hundreds of licensed cars across more than a dozen car manufacturers. This is above and beyond the teams dedicated to getting every single track right, or the Top Gear licensing and voice work etc.

Dead Rising 3 is being advertised all over, and Capcom is more than capable of publishing multi-platform, so you KNOW money is changing hands to keep that locked down. You should have seen the floor space dedicated to their theater, or the actors dressed up as zombies and their handlers - frankly Castlevania LOS2 looked pathetic by comparison (and was right beside it).

Ryse is from Crytek, and as I understand it, FarCry and Crysis might just be AAA games Roll Eyes. D'ja think Ryse is going to be some "off in the corner, the interns decided to make a cinematic Roman game on their break" kind of game?

All of the eight listed games, and their respective developers are not indie status - they also aren't new to making games. MS is paying them as an investment in their new platform. If these games sell, they'll get licensing revenues from the sales, but chances are, MS still will have LOST money since these games cater only to one of several gamer markets. That's how it works.

If you want to include the non-MS published games, any single one of the multi-plat games getting exclusive content (Ghosts, for instance) is ALSO money spent by MS, on AAA games to ensure their customers get a potentially better experience (thus drawing them to that platform).

If your position is that MS hates gamers, you're gonna come up short, buddy - though the proof will be in the pudding. If your statement instead is, they aren't doing what they can to cater to their customer base, then these reversals seem, oh-I-don't-know, kind of contrary to your statement? Even giving a free-full-new game, which is full cost for everyone else in the EU markets who've preordered that aren't getting Day One seems generous, no? It's not even theirs (MS's) - they'll be paying EA for that.

Indie/Self-publishing is a totally different topic, and not relevant to the crux of this particular matter. If you'd like to discuss that next, be my guest, but I'm pretty sure that horse is dead too.

[edit] to add (MS's) as otherwise I'd be implying the game wasn't the gamers - which isn't incorrect per se, but beside the point.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:03:02 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1765 on: August 21, 2013, 05:40:24 AM »

Let's be frank, no matter the amount MS is willing to pay, the vast majority of these titles will go multiplatform on the PS4. MS simply cannot pay enough to secure full exclusivity, period. No corporation is willing to pay that amount, and most simply cannot. The current market is for 3rd parties to go multiplatform to maximize profits, they see these exclusivity deals as a way to offset costs, not to pay for the game entirely.

The same goes for any 3rd party games on PS4, all timed.

That's not to say that the timed exclusive won't be effective. But this generation more than any, these games will show up quickly on the other platform. MS is mainly paying for the impression of full exclusivity this generation, and likely a year of only being on the XB1.

As for the AAA discussion, don't care. A good game is a good game, and both consoles have some good games to show. Haven't even bothered to follow that argument.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:42:38 AM by Turtle » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: August 21, 2013, 06:22:17 AM »

Timed exclusives do absolutely nothing for me. I'll wait and then pick it up on the console that I own (probably as a GOTY edition to boot!)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: August 21, 2013, 11:00:07 AM »

ditto.  if it's an indie on PSN I know I can wait to grab it for the PC.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: August 21, 2013, 11:38:53 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 21, 2013, 03:17:06 AM

This makes me happy...

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: August 21, 2013, 06:44:37 PM »

So at this point my plan is to hook my PS4 directly into my computer monitor and have it be a part of my computer/gaming hub at my desk.

The Xbox One will be hooked to my bedroom TV because of the Kinect.   I'll integrate it with my Direct TV box, TV, etc so that I'm sure I get total use out of the functionality.    I will probably have to toss my wife's shirt over the camera during intimate activities though.   The NSA doesn't need to see any of that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: August 21, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 21, 2013, 06:44:37 PM

I will probably have to toss my wife's shirt over the camera during intimate activities though.   The NSA doesn't need to see any of that.

DAMMIT.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: August 21, 2013, 06:58:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 21, 2013, 06:47:50 PM

I will probably have to toss my wife's shirt over the camera during intimate activities though.   The NSA doesn't need to see any of that.

DAMMIT.

You laugh but I guarantee they have the ability to do it. Why they would want to watch MsD naked is anyone's guess. Now Mrs. MsD is another story.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1772 on: August 21, 2013, 07:06:31 PM »

DAMMIT.

... Did you just admit to wanting to see msduncan naked? Is there something you're not telling us, CeeKay? slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: August 21, 2013, 10:02:22 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 21, 2013, 07:06:31 PM

DAMMIT.

... Did you just admit to wanting to see msduncan naked? Is there something you're not telling us, CeeKay? slywink

I was going to redub the videos with the sounds of monkeys having sex and try to make a new viral sensation.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: August 21, 2013, 10:28:38 PM »

'Confirmed'
 Xbox One will never come without Kinect

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/08/21/phil-harrison-xbox-one-will-never-come-without-kinect.aspx#comments

Confirmed Metallicorphan not buying it then until the price drops massively

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: August 21, 2013, 10:28:46 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 21, 2013, 06:58:26 PM

DAMMIT.

You laugh but I guarantee they have the ability to do it. Why they would want to watch MsD naked is anyone's guess. Now Mrs. MsD is another story.

icon_lol  IIRC he wife is hotter than Drivers.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: August 21, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »

She is definitely hot.   Getting hotter in fact.   I'm not sure how she's doing this reverse aging thing.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1777 on: August 22, 2013, 12:11:41 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 21, 2013, 05:40:24 AM

Let's be frank, no matter the amount MS is willing to pay, the vast majority of these titles will go multiplatform on the PS4. MS simply cannot pay enough to secure full exclusivity, period. No corporation is willing to pay that amount, and most simply cannot. The current market is for 3rd parties to go multiplatform to maximize profits, they see these exclusivity deals as a way to offset costs, not to pay for the game entirely.

The same goes for any 3rd party games on PS4, all timed.

That's not to say that the timed exclusive won't be effective. But this generation more than any, these games will show up quickly on the other platform. MS is mainly paying for the impression of full exclusivity this generation, and likely a year of only being on the XB1.

As for the AAA discussion, don't care. A good game is a good game, and both consoles have some good games to show. Haven't even bothered to follow that argument.

Which of the eight are you suggesting is going to go multiplatform?

I doubt DR3 will. Lococycle is meh, and Forza will not. Neither will Ryse - clearly it's a locked-in exclusive through Crytek - I'd wager it was similar to the Gears of War deal with Epic. Zoo Tycoon is being done by Frontier (Kinectimals dev house) and while they do other platforms, I think they're in the same boat as Grounding - where the MS truck of money is more than enough to keep the IP on Xbox One exclusively.

Killer Instinct is (basically) owned by MS - and they're planning seasonal content releases. That's also not going anywhere.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: August 22, 2013, 01:04:16 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 21, 2013, 03:17:06 AM

This is the first thing other than Titanfall that's made me say 'sort of wish I was getting an Xbone.'  That's pretty awesome.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1779 on: August 22, 2013, 05:33:18 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 21, 2013, 10:28:38 PM

'Confirmed'
 Xbox One will never come without Kinect

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/08/21/phil-harrison-xbox-one-will-never-come-without-kinect.aspx#comments

Confirmed Metallicorphan not buying it then until the price drops massively

I guess that eliminates the Xbox One from future purchase for me. Kind of disappointing. I'm hoping the Xbox One crashes and burns for Microsoft so they can go back to focusing on the right things again for their next console.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: August 22, 2013, 09:22:03 AM »

the Gamescom showcase.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: August 22, 2013, 10:55:54 PM »

crossposted from the feelings thread:

Thrustmaster VG Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition: Premium Official.

Developed in close collaboration with Microsoft, this 7:10 scale replica of the emblematic Ferrari 458 Italia wheel is fully dedicated to Xbox One, including Binder ID and Xbox One Guide button
Designed for true racers, it features metal gas and brake pedals, and gear sequential paddle shifters
This new generation wheel will deliver unrivalled feelings in Forza Motorsport 5 and future racing games on Xbox one: Racing sensations at a level never seen before
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:18:12 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16:17 PM »

That's one tasty steering wheel. Maybe a little eggy.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: August 22, 2013, 11:19:09 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on August 22, 2013, 11:16:17 PM

That's one tasty steering wheel. Maybe a little eggy.

well the yolk's on me biggrin

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: August 22, 2013, 11:43:33 PM »

I'll stick with the cheaper madcatz one.  Sad that the $400 doesn't even have a clutch or gated shifter
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: August 22, 2013, 11:50:25 PM »

400.00 dollars.. wtf

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: August 22, 2013, 11:54:41 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 22, 2013, 11:43:33 PM

I'll stick with the cheaper madcatz one.  Sad that the $400 doesn't even have a clutch or gated shifter

I thought we didn't have a price on the madcatz one yet.  I've seen pictures, how much do you think it'll be?

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 23, 2013, 12:11:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 22, 2013, 11:54:41 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on August 22, 2013, 11:43:33 PM

I thought we didn't have a price on the madcatz one yet.  I've seen pictures, how much do you think it'll be?

my guess would be $120-200, with my bet being $169
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: August 27, 2013, 01:35:42 AM »

And MS just refuses to atop following in Sony's footsteps. Just hours after Sony announced that they're giving free PS4s and games to all Gamestop managers, MS has no announced that they're also giving free Xbox Ones to all Gamestop managers (no mention of games). Lead, Microsoft, lead!  smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 27, 2013, 01:38:20 AM »

Tapatalk won't let me edit but there's supposed to be a "stop" and "now"  in there.  smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 27, 2013, 01:49:02 AM »

what, MS is just supposed to let Sony do all the bribing?  heck, I bet Misguided misses being a Gamestop manager right about now biggrin

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 27, 2013, 01:53:11 AM »

what's wrong with doing something your competition does that works?  You seem like a bitter fanboy at this point. frown
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: August 27, 2013, 02:05:58 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 27, 2013, 01:53:11 AM

what's wrong with doing something your competition does that works?  You seem like a bitter fanboy at this point. frown
Ahh yes, the old "fanboy" retort. So nice to have something to fall back on. Actually my initial post was more in jest (hence the smiley smile ) but in all seriousness, MS has been on the reaction side of things this whole generation (well except for the initial disaster and the FIFA giveaway).
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1793 on: August 27, 2013, 02:21:39 AM »

Well, let's just hope that MS follows Sony all throughout this generation and actually pays for new games to be made throughout the generation, instead of stopping the moment they've secured a lead.

MS has recovered, as I thought they would, but not as much as MS *extra doublequotes fingers* fanboys *extra doublequotes fingers* think they have.

This is a good thing, but MS will still have to go beyond parity to make up for their shenanigans to the majority, but it is nice to have them around to keep Sony on its toes.

And as I said before, both MS and Sony pouring money into game development for exclusives and timed exclusives is still a good thing overall for the industry, even if games don't make it, or take longer to reach one platform or another, it creates new studios that will eventually make games for all, and train a new generation of developers.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 27, 2013, 02:26:22 AM »

On a side note, what are the chances I could "become a gamestop manager" just in time to get the Xbox One, then say 'oh, I have to quit cause I have an actual career over at this other place'.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: August 27, 2013, 02:27:53 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 27, 2013, 02:26:22 AM

On a side note, what are the chances I could "become a gamestop manager" just in time to get the Xbox One, then say 'oh, I have to quit cause I have an actual career over at this other place'.

you could always find out when they are receiving them then coldcock the local manager as he is leaving for the day with his gifts.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 27, 2013, 02:28:01 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 27, 2013, 02:05:58 AM

Ahh yes, the old "fanboy" retort. So nice to have something to fall back on. Actually my initial post was more in jest (hence the smiley smile ) but in all seriousness, MS has been on the reaction side of things this whole generation (well except for the initial disaster and the FIFA giveaway).

Which means they are not making the same mistakes Sony did when PS3 launched.   Back then, Sony steadfast REFUSED to acknowledge any advantage M$ had until years down the road.   The result was a struggle much longer than it needed to be.

Microsoft is demonstrating flexibility and responsiveness to competition and consumer demand.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: August 27, 2013, 07:53:26 AM »

release date roulette continues.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: August 27, 2013, 08:08:48 AM »

It's certainly a possibility as it is a day which falls in November. On the other hand, how many date release rumors were there for Sony and they were all dead wrong. I won't believe a date until it's officially announced.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1799 on: August 27, 2013, 08:19:20 AM »

Keep in mind that the only date in that email that isn't confirmed is the Xbox One date. It appears to be mere speculation.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: