http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:02:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 65733 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: August 20, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »

well IGN said 4am for the MS showcase, now they're saying 5am, so I imagine it is finally underway.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: August 20, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »

Sounds like the new exclusive is a Fable spin-off.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: August 20, 2013, 09:38:13 AM »

from Gamescom:

With the new kinect sensor, the thing will scan you in and make a new digital recreation if you, with hair and skintone

icon_twisted

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: August 20, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »

I'm following live blog here:
http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/gamescom-2013-microsoft-showcase-liveblog/
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: August 20, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 20, 2013, 09:39:17 AM

yeah, that's who I found too.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:17 AM »

FIFA rumors true:  free w/ pre-order, only in Europe.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: August 20, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »

and that's it apparently.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: August 20, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »

Gotta hand it to MS. They know the Euros' weakpoint.  They probably love soccer so much that they don't even realize that a PS4 with a copy of Fifa is actually cheaper than a Xbox 1 with a free copy of Fifa! smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: August 20, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »

So it's over? Hmm I was expecting something more. I guess liveblogging just can't do presentations justice.  When was the last time that a console launch included a free game that came from a third party publisher? Are MS marketing geniuses or amazingly desperate?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: August 20, 2013, 09:51:54 AM »

what they need to do is make team themed versions of the consoles.  Imagine how well a Manchester Arsenal's one would sell slywink

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: August 20, 2013, 09:54:36 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 20, 2013, 09:50:43 AM

Are MS marketing geniuses or amazingly desperate?

Idiot Savants maybe?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: August 20, 2013, 10:30:15 AM »

official list of expected day one titles:

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
    Battlefield 4 (DICE, Electronic Arts)
    Call of Duty: Ghosts (Infinity Ward, Activision)
    Crimson Dragon (Grounding/Land Ho!, Microsoft Studios)
    Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft)
    FIFA 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
    Fighter Within (AMA Ltd., Ubisoft)
    Forza Motorsport 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios)
    Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft)
    Killer Instinct (Double Helix, Microsoft Studios)
    LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (TT Games, Warner Bros. Interactive)
    Lococycle (Twisted Pixel, Microsoft Studios)
    Madden NFL 25 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
    NBA 2K14 (Visual Concepts, 2K Sports)
    NBA LIVE 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
    Need for Speed: Rivals (Ghost Games, Electronic Arts)
    Peggle 2 (Popcap, Electronic Arts)
    Powerstar Golf (Zoe Mode, Microsoft Studios)
    Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)
    Skylanders: Swap Force (Vicarious Visions, Activision)
    Watch Dogs (Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft)
    Zoo Tycoon (Frontier Developments Ltd., Microsoft Studios)
    Zumba Fitness: World Party (Zoë Mode, Majesco)

definitely in for Dead Rising 3, Forza 5 and Ryse, with a serious thought given for Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon and Just Dance 2014 (figure might as well wait for the new Kinect version over the 360 version).  a tentative maybe for CoD: Ghosts depending on who gets the XB1 version; I dislike first person shooters on the console but usually have enough of a blast playing with the usual group to make it worth a try.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: August 20, 2013, 11:05:42 AM »

ID@Xbox Independent Developers publishing program info.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: August 20, 2013, 02:51:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2013, 10:30:15 AM

Zumba Fitness: World Party (ZoŽ Mode, Majesco)

definitely in for Dead Rising 3, Forza 5 and Ryse, with a serious thought given for Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon and Just Dance 2014 (figure might as well wait for the new Kinect version over the 360 version).  a tentative maybe for CoD: Ghosts depending on who gets the XB1 version; I dislike first person shooters on the console but usually have enough of a blast playing with the usual group to make it worth a try.

That's a good sized launch lineup. Remember when the N64 launched with something like 2 or 3 games?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: August 20, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »

Yeah I wonder of this gen will have the best launch day line up in console history. Has there ever been a console launch with a lot of great games? I don't remember one.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1735 on: August 20, 2013, 03:49:49 PM »

Nope, no other console generation has had this number of titles. What's even more interesting is that two separate consoles have this number of launch games, and good ones at that.

Chalk it up to both systems being very PC-like, and both having a combination of architecture and API that's easy to work on.

Also, middleware, both external (3rd party) and internal (publisher specific) is a huge deal in getting things running. It also helps that a number of these games are being built for a previous spec of console that shares some similarities, allowing for some code porting.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: August 20, 2013, 04:19:05 PM »

So they got out of there without telling us which day in november it's coming out?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1737 on: August 20, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 20, 2013, 05:25:14 AM

Quote from: Purge on August 20, 2013, 02:18:40 AM

So Ryse is... or wait, Crimson Dragon is... nono, that's right. Killer Insti.., Project Spark. No, that's not right. We're not seeing them take any risks as a company - clearly the new Halo is what we're seeing day one. Oh, and two of those are free. You know that, right? That's investment right there.

Having said that, can you name which of the mentioned titles are being funded by Microsoft? Them being a publisher doesn't mean they're actually paying for the thing. Also, which ones of them have an AAA budget? That's what I'm really talking about. Sure, they can help out a title that costs just a couple of million. That's not much of a risk. I mentioned Heavy Rain. That's an AAA title, with an AAA budget. The only title you mentioned that compares in that regard is Ryse, and that's a 3rd person macho brawler made by an established company with their own engine. It's hardly a risk even if the sales numbers fail, because of the attention it gives the Xbox One.

I can certainly guess:

Of the list posted above for the 23 day one releases, they are publishing 8 of them, all of which are exclusive to MS consoles (XBOne, some have 360 releases)

You imply the games in my original message weren't AAA. Heavy Rain got 87% on Metacritic. Panzer Dragoon Orta is the spiritual source for Crimson Dragon (with the same creator), which ranks at 90/100 on metacritic. AAA? Guess so. Forza 4? 91%. Neither Project Spark nor the original Killer Instinct have any recent relevant games to mark them as such, but both are in VASTLY different directions from your Gears/Halo hypothesis, so, you know, there's that.

Crytek's legacy is that of building fantastic engines, and all but Crysis 3 rank mid-to-high eighties on all platforms for Far Cry and Crysis series. AAA? Gamers seem to think so - and given this recent article from IGN from gamescon this morning on Ryse it sure seems like what Sean and I played at E3 is headed in a fantastic direction and will likely be its own AAA title.

As for discounting the "publishing" aspect: let me help you with that. Regardless of whether they directly fund the game development or not, they are doing the heavy lifting with marketing, manufacturing, distribution. This is investment, this is money, and that is where you're begging the question.

If their name is the publisher, it cost them money. Sometimes that money is an initial loss as it is seed money - such as paying for a crap title to be published to get in good with a developer to build something they really want, or it's a gamble. Regardless, it all resides in the definition "investment" and that costs.

They have skin in the game.

Yes, they need to invest in their launch. They also need to invest in games like Titanfall, in Quantum Break, in AAA titles (often DLC). I don't get what you're driving at, and given your response to my set of "are you buying an XBOne" question, I ask again - what is your motivation in this thread?

Dude, it's OK. You can *not* like Microsoft. There are some very stupid things they've done, are doing, and will continue to do. But pretending to know what they are spending money on, or that their all sitting around in a boardroom going "How can we screw TiLT even moar?" is truly silly.

Now back to our regularly scheduled XBOne bashing.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1738 on: August 20, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »

I like the idea of a coop fable game where one person is the hero and the other is the villain. I also like a bunch of ideas put forth by Fable. Let's see if they can deliver.

I'd love it if MS developed a Black and White using a combination of controller, Kinect, and smartglass. I think RTS games in general may move more easily to the consoles of this next gen simply with the inclusion of tablet-companion-apps (eg: SmartGlass, UAV controls in The Division).

There was an interview posted this morning on OXM where Phil Harris clammed up when Crackdown 3 was mentioned (page 4).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1739 on: August 20, 2013, 07:01:51 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 20, 2013, 05:04:00 PM

Of the list posted above for the 23 day one releases, they are publishing 8 of them, all of which are exclusive to MS consoles (XBOne, some have 360 releases)

I can pretty much guarantee that Microsoft didn't fund even half of those titles. You may not be aware of Microsoft's previous (and still active) indie policy. They do not allow (yet) developers to self-publish to the Xbox 360. The few indies that are allowed through the system must do so either by signing up with an established publisher (that all have limited publishing slots on the 360) or with Microsoft Studios. The latter means that the indies sign away just about every right possible to the game for the right to be published on Microsoft's console, and they're given next to nothing in return. That marketing, manufacturing and distribution you're bragging about? Manufacturing and distribution is a non-issue since most games that Microsoft doesn't directly fund (which is most of them) are digital releases through XBLA. It costs Microsoft nothing. In fact, up until very recently the developers had to pay Microsoft to offer their games, DLC and patches for download. And marketing? Have you heard the outcry against Microsoft for their lack of developer support recently? Indies are complaining that Microsoft isn't doing squat to promote their games.

Being published by Microsoft Studios is not a privilege. It's a cost.

You imply the games in my original message weren't AAA. Heavy Rain got 87% on Metacritic.

Whoa, whoa! Hang on! Are you trying to claim that AAA status has anything at all to do with Metacritic scores? You're far off the mark. AAA is only used in games to refer to development costs. A game title is AAA only if it has an AAA budget. What Metacritic score the game has is completely irrelevant.

Why did you even think Metacritic had anything to do with it? Did you think a game was in a vague state of flux until the review scores started pouring in? Did you think a game's status could change back and forth from AAA based on reviews?

If their name is the publisher, it cost them money.

XBLA titles cost Microsoft so little money that it's hardly worth mentioning in their budgets. A few small budget posts that make little to no difference to Microsoft's bottom line is not a risk. It's a statistic. When you've got budgets in the hundreds of millions of dollars, then you're talking risks. Microsoft doesn't take those unless they can more or less show evidence that it will pay back the investment. In other words, they don't take risks with software they publish.

You've got a vastly inflated view of the realities of being published by Microsoft.

what is your motivation in this thread?

Right now? To act as a reality check for you. It is sorely needed, apparently.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: August 20, 2013, 07:43:32 PM »

Tilt, I would argue that a fair amount of people (including myself and obviously Purge as well) identify the AAA tag as a reflection of quality as much as, if not more so than, budget. I'm not sure what empirical evidence you're basing off of to claim otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:46:14 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: August 20, 2013, 07:51:27 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 20, 2013, 03:02:53 PM

Yeah I wonder of this gen will have the best launch day line up in console history. Has there ever been a console launch with a lot of great games? I don't remember one.

I loved the Dreamcast launch lineup, myself. A lot of my love for it was due to the number of original, unique IPs, even if they weren't necessarily the best games ever made. Soul Calibur, Power Stone, Sonic Adventure, arcade perfect port of Marvel Vs. Capcom... Yumm.

Sean Lama
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1742 on: August 20, 2013, 07:53:27 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 20, 2013, 07:43:32 PM

Tilt, I would argue that a fair amount of people (including myself and obviously Purge as well) identify the AAA tag as a reflection of quality as much as, if not more so than, budget. I'm not sure what empirical evidence you're basing off of to claim otherwise.

Your lingo is a bit unusual then. AAA is consistently used for high budget games in the games industry, and never for games with smaller budgets. Someone might say that a cheaper game has "AAA-quality graphics" or "AAA-like production values", but that doesn't make it AAA. Wikipedia sums it up neatly in one sentence: "AAA game, a lingo in the video game industry for games developed for major platforms with enormous marketing budgets."

I've never seen the AAA terminology applied wrong that I can remember, particularly not by people in the industry. The meaning has always been clear. That's why I was so surprised to see Purge get it so amazingly wrong.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: August 20, 2013, 08:27:52 PM »

Off the prevailing topic here, but:

Anyone else here find the One design to be damned sexy?   Honestly I like the looks of the thing better than the PS4 for some reason.    Sony always goes for these jagged oddly shaped boxes for some reason...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: August 20, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 20, 2013, 08:27:52 PM

Anyone else here find the One design to be damned sexy?   Honestly I like the looks of the thing better than the PS4 for some reason.    Sony always goes for these jagged oddly shaped boxes for some reason...

The PS3 Phat had some curves.  Actually I think all the PS3 versions were somewhat curvy.  The new super slim is ribbed for your gaming pleasure, which makes it kind of odd.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: August 20, 2013, 08:30:05 PM »

I know plenty of people (all non-industry) that refer to AAA as both a quality and a budget thing.  I don't often side with Purge, but I don't see the mistake as being huge.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »

well i have been at a Funeral today,so i missed all the fun

Is that Zoo Tycoon as in Rollercoaster Tycoon?,same gametype?..'cos i would be in for that,the Xbox needs some good ol' sim stuff

hmm,now i want to play Jurassic Park:Operation Genesis again

Anyone else here find the One design to be damned sexy?   Honestly I like the looks of the thing better than the PS4 for some reason.    Sony always goes for these jagged oddly shaped boxes for some reason...

sorry,no exact opposite for me,I don't like the squareness of the Xb1(guess it goes with their new Metro look),but i do love the PS4 design,i think it looks great and of course so much better than the PS3 design(either model)...but i think the 360 looks better than the XB1

so IMO,the xbox has gone down in design while the Playstation has gone up

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »

Heavy Rain wasn't a AAA title?  The bits I've seen looked quite impressive.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: August 20, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 20, 2013, 08:31:19 PM

well i have been at a Funeral today,so i missed all the fun

Is that Zoo Tycoon as in Rollercoaster Tycoon?,same gametype?..'cos i would be in for that,the Xbox needs some good ol' sim stuff

hmm,now i want to play Jurassic Park:Operation Genesis again

Anyone else here find the One design to be damned sexy?   Honestly I like the looks of the thing better than the PS4 for some reason.    Sony always goes for these jagged oddly shaped boxes for some reason...

sorry,no exact opposite for me,I don't like the squareness of the Xb1(guess it goes with their new Metro look),but i do love the PS4 design,i think it looks great and of course so much better than the PS3 design(either model)...but i think the 360 looks better than the XB1

so IMO,the xbox has gone down in design while the Playstation has gone up

I disagree.   I also think the One will look great sitting up there with the Kinect sitting squarely on top of it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: August 20, 2013, 08:47:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2013, 08:31:49 PM

yeah but then you played it

okay yeah i hated that game

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: August 20, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »

I heard it was quite good though.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: August 20, 2013, 08:58:43 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 20, 2013, 02:51:54 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2013, 10:30:15 AM

Zumba Fitness: World Party (Zoë Mode, Majesco)

That's a good sized launch lineup. Remember when the N64 launched with something like 2 or 3 games?

I think they also just confirmed a mid to late November release with the declaration that those will be 'day one' titles.  Watch Dogs won't be out until the 19th.

[edit] or maybe it got moved up....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:01:49 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: August 20, 2013, 09:03:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2013, 08:49:25 PM

I heard it was quite good though.

yeah it is,if you like setting the table,shaking the controller to brush your teeth or shaking it to dry yourself after a shower

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: August 20, 2013, 09:04:44 PM »

or maybe they meant to say launch window for that list of games.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: August 20, 2013, 09:24:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2013, 08:31:49 PM

Yes, but how big was the marketing budget? That is the question  icon_twisted

I've seen AAA used interchangeably to describe quality and budget. And that Wikipedia entry has no reference so, sorry Tilt, your evidence is still considered anecdotal. Let's just agree to disagree smile

Sean Lama
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: August 20, 2013, 09:40:06 PM »

I've gotta say, TiLT is right about the meaning of AAA.  Games are AAA before release.  Frequently, they are also of good quality because of the time and money spent making them so, which may be where the confusion comes in.

Also, Purge is right about Microsoft spending money on the titles it's publishing.  You keep going on about the XBLA titles, TiLT, but Purge listed a bunch of titles that are not XBLA.  MS is part of the money picture on those for sure.  At the very least, they're paying for exclusivity.  Game companies aren't paying for that privilege. 

And on a completely unrelated note: I have to say that Microsoft's f-up of the Xbone launch has even soured my enjoyment of the 360.  I find I'm not wanting to buy games for it and not playing it as much.  That really makes me sad.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: August 20, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 20, 2013, 09:40:06 PM

Games are AAA before release. 

Excellent point!

Sean Lama
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: August 20, 2013, 11:11:19 PM »

Yes COD could be a steaming pile but that doesn't mean it's not a AAA release.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: August 20, 2013, 11:45:26 PM »

OH MY GOD TITANFALL LOOKS GOOD.

I can already anticipate playing with Kato and Hark on this one.   

Funding update:   I have $650 saved towards system purchases.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: August 21, 2013, 12:30:33 AM »

I'll have an automated Titan to follow me around, I won't need you anymore...  ninja
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: