http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 04:54:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 72047 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1680 on: August 19, 2013, 12:51:01 AM »

Latest leaks from confirmed insiders at GAF state that MS is still far behind. The reason why they aren't streaming the gamescom conference and are limiting attendance is that the latest SDK release tanked performance by 15%-20%. However this is normal in development and will be fixed. Other aspects of OS are behind, resulting in big park studio canceling a MOBA they were working on and focusing on TV features. Should all still be ready for launch in November.

Also, the low number of launch countries is not due to translation issues, but low yields on hardware.

No chance of a SKU without the kinect 2 but there's enough traction in the company that there is a real chance for a SKU without it for next year.

Good news is that MS is money hatting Japanese developers similar to what they did early in with 360. Only solid taker so far is Platinum with bayonetta. Expect the xb1 to have games from Japan as timed exclusives.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: August 19, 2013, 12:58:01 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 19, 2013, 12:51:01 AM

Good news is that MS is money hatting Japanese developers similar to what they did early in with 360. Only solid taker so far is Platinum with bayonetta. Expect the xb1 to have games from Japan as timed exclusives.

The 360 was at its best when Mistwalker had Blue Dragon,Lost odyssey and Square had Infinite Undiscovery and the timed exclusive Star Ocean 4 and Last Remnant..nothing could touch the 360 at that time

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: August 19, 2013, 01:25:57 AM »

Good news is that MS is money hatting Japanese

money hats?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: August 19, 2013, 01:47:10 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 19, 2013, 12:58:01 AM

The 360 was at its best when Mistwalker had Blue Dragon,Lost odyssey and Square had Infinite Undiscovery and the timed exclusive Star Ocean 4 and Last Remnant..nothing could touch the 360 at that time

only played Snore Ocean 4 out of those; have Remnant on Steam but haven't gotten to it yet.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: August 19, 2013, 02:19:25 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 19, 2013, 01:47:10 AM

only played Snore Ocean 4 out of those; have Remnant on Steam but haven't gotten to it yet.

Didn't like Last Remnant but i know plenty of people who did

I liked Star Ocean,good graphics,decent enough story,PS3 got it eventually

Blue Dragon was great-the music in the Hospital level is on par with Gridania's music in FF14

Infinite Undiscovery was excellent,really need to play that again

and Lost Odyssey was one of the best JRPGs these gen

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: August 19, 2013, 02:19:58 AM »

man, if I had a money hat I could walk around all pimp style....

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: August 19, 2013, 02:21:14 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 19, 2013, 02:19:25 AM

Blue Dragon was great-the music in the Hospital level is on par with Gridania's music in FF14

IU into the queue!  LO, you too!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: August 19, 2013, 02:35:33 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 19, 2013, 02:21:14 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 19, 2013, 02:19:25 AM

IU into the queue!  LO, you too!

take into account JRPGs are my favourite video game genres

and your Money hat has just arrived,Sir

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: August 19, 2013, 02:35:53 AM »

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: August 19, 2013, 02:36:08 AM »

like that one better.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: August 19, 2013, 02:37:08 AM »

or at least the form of it, needs to be made of real money.  I wonder if the japanese make one.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: August 19, 2013, 02:40:19 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 19, 2013, 02:36:08 AM

like that one better.

Tough,you're wearing the hat in the first pic and like it!!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: August 19, 2013, 02:41:06 AM »

maybe they have one like this:

probably made in Korea though....

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: August 19, 2013, 03:05:50 AM »

How is this good news? It pisses me off that Microsoft does that. I don't know what the Japanese developers are thinking. For more actiony games like Bayonetta I can see it but for RPGs I can't imagine that the developers would be better off going exclusive with MS rather than releasing on both platforms. Especially when it comes to Japan where NO ONE is going to buy an Xbox One.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: August 19, 2013, 03:14:59 AM »

If they announced a sequel to Enchanted Arms I'd buy an XB1 just to play that. Not that it would ever happen, but...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: August 19, 2013, 03:55:16 AM »

In case you're actually not aware of the origin of money hat:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2000/10/23

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1696 on: August 19, 2013, 05:15:21 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 19, 2013, 03:05:50 AM

How is this good news? It pisses me off that Microsoft does that. I don't know what the Japanese developers are thinking. For more actiony games like Bayonetta I can see it but for RPGs I can't imagine that the developers would be better off going exclusive with MS rather than releasing on both platforms. Especially when it comes to Japan where NO ONE is going to buy an Xbox One.

It's good news for MS and people who are buying the XB1, which is what this thread is for.

Overall though, I think there will be less takers on this deal. The main reason why the 360 was able to nab so many deals was that it was out a year early, and MS had things together. The same is not true now, where Sony really has things together, the small amount of money MS can offer to go timed exclusive isn't worth as much anymore. Either the exclusivity period will be shorter, or fewer developers will take it. Sony is likely going about offering the same deals.

Another reason why Japanese developers will take such deals is that the console and dedicated gaming handheld is on a major downswing right now in Japan. It's all about smart phone based games. Even the 3DS is struggling against it. It's also why Sony, a Japanese company, is pushing Americas and Europe so heavily for release.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1697 on: August 19, 2013, 05:52:03 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 19, 2013, 05:15:21 AM

It's good news for MS and people who are buying the XB1, which is what this thread is for.

I think you'll need to walk us through this one. How exactly is it a good thing for Xbox One owners that Microsoft is paying companies to make their games timed exclusives? Oh there's no doubt that it's bad for PS4 owners, but that's something only Microsoft benefits from.

IMO, timed (paid) exclusives are never a good thing for the customers, only for companies. This is the primary reason why Microsoft has built a lot of distaste with me throughout this generation. They pay money to developers specifically to deny software to their competitors, unlike companies like Sony that fund studios throughout the entire development process to create exclusive software. Only the latter benefits customers as it leads to games that might not otherwise have been made. The former causes games to be artificially held back, hurting roughly half the user base in the process.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:55:11 AM by TiLT » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1698 on: August 19, 2013, 06:21:33 AM »

It's good for MS's business, which means they're willing to spend more on getting stuff for the system.

Timed exclusives are proven to work in terms of mindshare. Also, due to the current situation in consoles, and the nature of Asian development, a lot of those games wouldn't even come to the XB1 if the PS4 ends up dominating the market, since MS has very little market share in those areas.

Also, many of those early 360 JRPGs that MS gave money wouldn't have been made, so it creates new games and studios for those willing to spend 6 months to a year on one console. It also reduces dev costs to at least be a timed exclusive, where you focus on one console for a time while still being paid.

Admittedly, almost all those early 360 JRPG studios have either disappeared, or just haven't done anything interesting since. I can't remember a single one that's got a game

It's a dark side of this industry competition that there are these eclusives and timed exclusives, but the reality is, they sometimes do help developers, and consumers, by simply getting new studios or games off the ground. The manufacturers put money out there and are looking to nab things for their console, with the big 3rd parties already set to do whatever they do already, that means MS and Sony are both money hatting new things they can find, or otherwise offering more lucrative deals than usual.

Doesn't matter if you don't like the artificiality of exclusives, but we're not in some one console utopia.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:28:38 AM by Turtle » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: August 19, 2013, 01:18:23 PM »

I'm still pissed that Culdcept Saga never came to the PS3.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: August 19, 2013, 01:44:52 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 19, 2013, 06:21:33 AM

Admittedly, almost all those early 360 JRPG studios have either disappeared, or just haven't done anything interesting since. I can't remember a single one that's got a game

So MS gained nothing in paying some Japanese devs to make a few games for them.. The 360 has done nothing in Japan yet they are trying it again? When will they realize its just not going to happen for them or any outside company when it comes to the video game market there.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: August 19, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »

Mistwalker(Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon) moved to the Wii with The Last Story

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: August 19, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on August 19, 2013, 01:44:52 PM

So MS gained nothing in paying some Japanese devs to make a few games for them.. The 360 has done nothing in Japan yet they are trying it again? When will they realize its just not going to happen for them or any outside company when it comes to the video game market there.

I think this will be more about getting a Japanese game that was a cult success in the US, like a Vanquish 2 perhaps.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: August 19, 2013, 02:38:57 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 19, 2013, 02:31:48 PM

Mistwalker(Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon) moved to the Wii with The Last Story

yep.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1704 on: August 19, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »

Consider instead of timed release, that they're seeding a marketplace with new games. Much like indie games, they don't all see full market value based on sales alone - instead, they allow some flexibility in trying new things.

MS did the same thing with the original Steel Battalion. Nintendo did this with the new WiiU-only Bayonetta (which was shelved - and it was N asking Sega to develop it that brought it into being).

Timed exclusive is good for the company in trying to sway people to their platform, and nothing else. However, if that content wouldn't have been made at all, then the benefit extends to everyone, even those on other platforms that have to wait a bit.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1705 on: August 19, 2013, 05:19:34 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 19, 2013, 03:57:19 PM

Timed exclusive is good for the company in trying to sway people to their platform, and nothing else. However, if that content wouldn't have been made at all, then the benefit extends to everyone, even those on other platforms that have to wait a bit.

Yeah, but Microsoft isn't in the habit of funding titles. They mostly stick to paying for stuff that's already almost completed. If there's any risk involved, they're out. They only fund titles that are already proven to be AAA, such as Gears of War and Halo. This is what I'm talking about, and what truly separates them from Sony. Microsoft would never, ever in a million years have funded or supported a game like Heavy Rain. Their business strategy has only one winner: Microsoft.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: August 19, 2013, 05:43:11 PM »

TiLT is doing a great job of illustrating something I was just talking about with a friend of mine.  When I think of system exclusives for the 360, Halo, Gears of War, and Forza are all pretty good.  On the PS3, however, Heavy Rain, Sly Cooper, The Last of Us, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, and Ni no Kuni have ultimately done more to define this generation for me, and I enjoyed the hell out of the Resistance and Killzone games too.

Assuming cross-platform games continue to be comparable in the next generation, I think Sony's policies are ultimately producing games I like better than Microsoft's play-it-safe strategy.  As much as Microsoft has done to correct their course these last few months, it'll take more than Dead Rising 3 to win me back at this point.

-Autistic Angel
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: August 19, 2013, 06:51:49 PM »

CVG Sources: Microsoft to reveal 'major game' comes free with Xbox One

Each new Xbox One console sold in Europe (and perhaps the US) will come free with the title that alone will retail at 40 or higher, in an attempt to kick away at the 80 premium Xbox One has over Sony's PS4.

EDIT:

Xbox One to launch with FIFA 14 in Europe - rumour

well i was pleasantly surprised for all of 3 minutes....I pissing hate FIFA
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:54:21 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: August 19, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »

fuckin' FIFA.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1709 on: August 19, 2013, 07:58:13 PM »

I would have been more likely to bet that they'd include the new Kinect Sports or something.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1710 on: August 19, 2013, 08:51:21 PM »

at this point, I'm already committed to PC/PS4 as I would expect most if not all XB1 console exclusives to be ported over.  Free game is nice, but not enough for me to switch over/go dual console next gen.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: August 19, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »

Smart move from Microsoft if true. I'm sure Europeans are addicted to FIFA on the other hand, what is the sense in doing that if you are selling all that you can produce? Surely MS has sold out their pre-orders in Europe. Keep the pressure on, MS! Up the ante! I want to see a $500 Vita/PS4 bundle!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1712 on: August 19, 2013, 11:58:04 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on August 19, 2013, 02:36:26 PM

Quote from: Jumangi on August 19, 2013, 01:44:52 PM

I think this will be more about getting a Japanese game that was a cult success in the US, like a Vanquish 2 perhaps.

MS gained a huge market that would have normally sat back and waited for the PS3 from nabbing those early JRPGs on the 360. It paid off huge for them. By funding those JRPGs, they took a market that was considered core for Sony and got people to believe that JRPGs and RPGs in general would be on the 360. Heck, they even published Mass Effect 1, too.

Not to mention, all the JRPG studios were going through a time of major upheaval. Square losing money and combining with Enix, most other JRPG developers and publishers imploding or restructuring. Very few 360 games in development, let alone PS3 which was a pipe dream at that point. Massive increases in development costs for these traditionally long and costly games.

Sure, even if only 1 or 2 of those developers stayed afloat afterwards, it definitely paid off in the long run for the 360 in market share of the larger global market. For us gamers, we would have seen none of these games had MS not put the money out.

FIFA will do well if bundled. However, it's still cheaper to just buy a PS4 and the game.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: August 20, 2013, 12:37:07 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 19, 2013, 11:33:30 PM

Smart move from Microsoft if true. I'm sure Europeans are addicted to FIFA on the other hand, what is the sense in doing that if you are selling all that you can produce? Surely MS has sold out their pre-orders in Europe. Keep the pressure on, MS! Up the ante! I want to see a $500 Vita/PS4 bundle!

The idea would be to stop give people an incentive to wait and not get a PS4, I'm not sure it's really going to work though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: August 20, 2013, 01:40:04 AM »

well, MS's Gamescom event will be at 4am EST.  who needs sleep?

Because I can,
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: August 20, 2013, 01:52:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2013, 01:40:04 AM

i don't believe MS is streaming any of their events.   Sony is streaming there's though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: August 20, 2013, 02:03:14 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on August 20, 2013, 01:52:39 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2013, 01:40:04 AM

i don't believe MS is streaming any of their events.   Sony is streaming there's though.

yeah, saw that, and that's making me think we won't hear a release date for the XB1.  I think they'd want a bi more pomp for that.  I'm not sure I'll be home for Sony's, not going to go out of my way to do so as I doubt they're going to have anything to change my mind about getting a PS4 anytime soon.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1717 on: August 20, 2013, 02:18:40 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 19, 2013, 05:19:34 PM

Quote from: Purge on August 19, 2013, 03:57:19 PM

Yeah, but Microsoft isn't in the habit of funding titles. They mostly stick to paying for stuff that's already almost completed. If there's any risk involved, they're out. They only fund titles that are already proven to be AAA, such as Gears of War and Halo. This is what I'm talking about, and what truly separates them from Sony. Microsoft would never, ever in a million years have funded or supported a game like Heavy Rain. Their business strategy has only one winner: Microsoft.

So Ryse is... or wait, Crimson Dragon is... nono, that's right. Killer Insti.., Project Spark. No, that's not right. We're not seeing them take any risks as a company - clearly the new Halo is what we're seeing day one. Oh, and two of those are free. You know that, right? That's investment right there.

In your example, we'd be getting Halo this fall, and Gears. You know that when the publishing arms of the big three put out cash, it's not for cash hats, but to push development and raise the quality, right? Hiring better programmers, artists, managers and publicists? Market research and all kinds of other key elements are involved, and when you look at the Japanese market, it's all about risk/reward. If MS didn't show up and put up, they'd never EVER be taken seriously there.

As has been pointed out, this cash outlay from our North American behemoth (hint, they aren't as big as you might expect) that goes towards Japanese developers isn't fruitless - the games that come out are less weird (Noby-Noby-Boy), though they don't necessarily hit as hard as, say, the next FF game.

I don't recall off the top of my head, but seem to remember reading about some "timed" exclusives that simply wouldn't have happened had MS/Sony/Nintendo ponied up cash for it. This is to the benefit of all, since they were timed and not simply console exclusive.

Since game players can't play cross-platform (console-wise, anyways), it doesn't fragment the developers' customer base beyond lines already drawn - so if you're on the wrong side of the "early" release, think about the fact that the game/DLC/addon had ever happened. In the case where it is MS who contributes to the content, why should they NOT get a timed exclusive?

TiLT, that's where I don't understand your begged question. If I were Sony and chose not to ante up for the latest COD DLC exclusivity, then I let my customers down. Whether it be because I didn't pay the last time so I(as Sony) wasn't invited to the party, or whether it was a bidding war, or if I simply didn't see the monetized value in dropping money on it, the developers and publishers still need money to make the product. Sure, Infinity Ward is probably given Carte Blanche in this example, but that isn't the case for every game DLC out there, and at the end of the day there are bills to pay. But, if you recall the Sony E3 brief, they've dropped a bunch on "exclusive" PS4 DLC/hats/perks, so it's not like this is a one-sided thing.

It's an open market - expect them to work to provide competitive advantage.

So are you now considering getting an Xbox One with all the policy changes in effect? Is it available in your region on launch day? Is the PS4? For being in Canada, we have the luxury of not worrying about this since we're part of the NA distribution machine.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: August 20, 2013, 04:13:13 AM »

Quote from: Purge on August 20, 2013, 02:18:40 AM

[
So are you now considering getting an Xbox One with all the policy changes in effect? Is it available in your region on launch day? Is the PS4? For being in Canada, we have the luxury of not worrying about this since we're part of the NA distribution machine.

Was this question for Tilt or everyone?
My thinking hasn't changed in the least. Microsoft tried to screw me and all other gamers. They only backed down when they saw the pre-order numbers. I only plan on getting one console as I don't game that often these days and I don't think the wife would appreciate seeing two consoles under the TV. I saw very little reason to get a 360 last gen and I see even less these days now that the consoles are so similar and the exclusives are so far and few between. For me,  Microsoft's is the "shooter"  console and I don't feel the need to get one. I know I'll miss out on Gears of War and Halo but I have little interest in that.
For me the PS4 is cheaper, more powerful and will have the better selection of games plus a lot of free games. That's enough for me.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1719 on: August 20, 2013, 05:25:14 AM »

Quote from: Purge on August 20, 2013, 02:18:40 AM

So Ryse is... or wait, Crimson Dragon is... nono, that's right. Killer Insti.., Project Spark. No, that's not right. We're not seeing them take any risks as a company - clearly the new Halo is what we're seeing day one. Oh, and two of those are free. You know that, right? That's investment right there.

It's the launch window of a new console. Rules are always thrown out the window at that point, and always have been. Investments are seen as necessary at that point, even with risk. Having said that, can you name which of the mentioned titles are being funded by Microsoft? Them being a publisher doesn't mean they're actually paying for the thing. Also, which ones of them have an AAA budget? That's what I'm really talking about. Sure, they can help out a title that costs just a couple of million. That's not much of a risk. I mentioned Heavy Rain. That's an AAA title, with an AAA budget. The only title you mentioned that compares in that regard is Ryse, and that's a 3rd person macho brawler made by an established company with their own engine. It's hardly a risk even if the sales numbers fail, because of the attention it gives the Xbox One.

If you believe Microsoft has changed from what I described and will be funding anything except established shooters (or the occasional Kinect game to desperately keep the idea alive) after the Xbox One launch window, you're wonderfully naive.

So are you now considering getting an Xbox One with all the policy changes in effect?

There are multiple obstacles in the way of me getting an Xbox One at any time. Prime among them is the Kinect, which I don't need, don't want, and certainly don't want to pay for or install in my living room. Current rumors indicate that Microsoft is working on a Kinect-less version of the Xbox One, but it'll probably end up being limited due to developers requiring Kinect in their titles. We'll see.

Second, I don't really see why I need an Xbox One when I have a PS4. The only exclusive title that caught my interest among what Microsoft showed us, and I do mean the only title, is Project Spark, and that's coming for the PC too. I don't want to give Microsoft a bunch of my money for a device that doesn't give me anything new, and the PS4 is better suited to do the multiplatform titles due to its more powerful specs (which is comparable in this generation due to both systems being so similar in design).

Thirdly, Microsoft's asshole behavior is inexcusable and will need time to be forgiven. Oh I'll forgive it eventually, just like I forgave Sony for their absurdly arrogant PS3 launch. What I won't do is pretend that Microsoft did nothing wrong just because they realized they weren't getting away with being dicks and did a 180 months before launch. It takes more than that.

So after a year or two, if Microsoft has dropped the Kinect and the console has exclusives that I absolutely must play, then sure. I'll get an Xbox One. Until then, there's no chance in hell I'll do so.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: