http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 01:48:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 85116 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: June 27, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 27, 2013, 10:53:44 PM

Did anything come of the rumor that MS was going to drop the restrictive publisher requirements?
Doesn't seem so.   Seems to just have been the Unity announcement.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1481 on: June 28, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »

That's it? Unity on XB1?

That's just non-news. Everyone and their grandma knew unity was coming to all consoles. I'd have been more surprised if Unity didn't come to XB1.

Eh, that does mean porting my game to XB1 will be easier, but porting won't be the problem for me it seems.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: July 02, 2013, 03:41:56 AM »

no more redemption codes to enter.  Instead the new Kinect will scan QR codes.  not a big deal, but a nice change.  I assume you'll still be able to enter codes manually for codes you get online.

or maybe MS will just assume everyone has a printer.  Want to manually enter a code?  buy the 360.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:51:59 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: July 02, 2013, 03:43:48 AM »

That's actually pretty nifty. With the 360 I ended up keeping a spare USB keyboard nearby just for those occasional times I had to punch in a lengthy redemption code.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: July 02, 2013, 06:12:12 AM »

The consoles are getting more and more smart functions - I wonder how long before , if, they evolve into full fledged moving robots? I want a Robot man dammit!

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: July 02, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »

Oh man, and you could have the robot stack colored discs! Or stack colored discs in a different order! Or even pick up colored discs and put them back the way they originally were!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: July 02, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 02, 2013, 11:53:50 AM

Oh man, and you could have the robot stack colored discs! Or stack colored discs in a different order! Or even pick up colored discs and put them back the way they originally were!

Dream-crusher... :-(

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: July 04, 2013, 02:10:22 PM »

I dunno,everything you heard at E3,you may as well dismiss for now icon_wink

Microsoft changes mind again-Headsets now to be included with Xbox One

Microsoft has reportedly made another change of policy for Xbox One - the console will now launch with a headset included.

Microsoft's official Xbox One headset.

Today's news of the headset's inclusion with Xbox One comes from a revised product specification for the console, as posted by Electronic Theatre. This was revealed by Gem, the official UK distributor for Microsoft Studios and Xbox products.

Microsoft previously stated that customers would have to buy a headset separately from the 429 console, with the reasoning given that you could use the included Kinect sensor to chat instead.

Xbox One will not be compatible with Xbox 360 headsets, Microsoft has said, although the company later changed its mind on that, too, and said that it was working to develop some kind of adaptor.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: July 04, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »

That headset article may not be accurate
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: July 04, 2013, 03:08:06 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on July 04, 2013, 02:13:01 PM

That headset article may not be accurate

yeah it seems you are right,MVC say it was a mistake on their advertising icon_frown

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: July 04, 2013, 06:04:53 PM »

yay, headset!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: July 04, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »

oh wait, boo bad advertising!

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: July 04, 2013, 09:07:36 PM »

Speaking of advertising, I guess this means that Xbox Live will continue to be ridden with ads?
http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/04/xbox-one-built-with-advertising-in-mind-kinect-integral-to-next-gen-adverts/
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1493 on: July 05, 2013, 04:25:11 AM »

That annoys me to no end. The few times I use the 360, I find myself having to fight my way through pages upon pages of ads, or as Microsoft likes to call them, "targeted recommendations". Ironically, this happens on the one platform, out of three, to ask for a subscription to get access to all of its features. Now that a new generation is about to appear, it seems the Xbox One will still be riddled with ads (oh sorry, I meant "targeted recommendations") while its competitors will not.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: July 05, 2013, 05:00:44 AM »

today was the first day I actually went seeking out ads on the 360 menu.  most of the time there were in the lower right hand corner tile, easily ignorable; I think all the times except one the ad tile appeared it was for Magic the Gathering 2013.  Maybe I'm used to ads on the interwebs, but they did not seem intrusive at all.  Maybe Silver use or Euros get pages upon pages of ads, but I can't say I've ever had that happen.

[edit] if you want to see what I am talking about I can try making a video with either my iPhone or Lumia 920 and uploading it Friday night.

[edit 2] of course you could be talking about game suggestions or games that are new to the XBL marketplace I will grant you some may consider those ads but again I'm not sure how they could bug someone, and from what I remember the PS3 had the same thing with PSN store tiles when you started up the console.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:21:44 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: July 07, 2013, 07:30:36 AM »

think the name Xbox One is dumb?  A look at the names put forward for the original Xbox.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: July 11, 2013, 08:20:45 PM »

Digital Spy

An online petition has launched to reinstate Xbox One's DRM restrictions.

A group of fans have demanded that the controls over sharing and reselling games be reintroduced.

"This was to be the future of entertainment," reads the petition. "A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses.

"Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox. But consumers were uninformed, and railed against it, and it was taken away because Sony took advantage of consumers' uncertainty."

saywhat

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: July 11, 2013, 08:27:31 PM »

That was probably started by the new CEO of Zynga slywink

One thing that bothers me abut Xbox Live is the total lack of customizing it.  In other words, I'd love the ability to turn on my 360 and having to worry about my 3 or 5 year old seeing an undead Zombie or something else inappropriate for kids.  If you don't get this, you must not have kids.  We don't have a separate DVD player in the living room, so this is an issue.

Wake up.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: July 11, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 11, 2013, 08:20:45 PM

Digital Spy

A group of fans have demanded that the controls over sharing and reselling games be reintroduced.

"This was to be the future of entertainment," reads the petition. "A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses.

"Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox. But consumers were uninformed, and railed against it, and it was taken away because Sony took advantage of consumers' uncertainty."

saywhat

saywhat

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1499 on: July 11, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »

Just stupid people believing all the marketing hype of there being some kind of digital utopia that MS was going to usher in. The reality was that it was never going to be as good as MS promised, especially since all the info we got from it was after they had cancelled it, so all the rainbow stuff we're hearing now is stuff that if it was actually going in it would/should have been announced, or it likely wasn't going to be as extensive as they were now making it out to be.

Makes me angry because the digital revolution has already come. Steam, PSN, and XBL all will pretty much work the same for digital downloads, regardless of whatever weird stopgap disc system they have.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: July 11, 2013, 11:49:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 11, 2013, 08:50:00 PM

Digital Spy

saywhat

saywhat

saywhat
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: July 12, 2013, 12:01:35 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 05, 2013, 04:25:11 AM

That annoys me to no end. The few times I use the 360, I find myself having to fight my way through pages upon pages of ads, or as Microsoft likes to call them, "targeted recommendations". Ironically, this happens on the one platform, out of three, to ask for a subscription to get access to all of its features. Now that a new generation is about to appear, it seems the Xbox One will still be riddled with ads (oh sorry, I meant "targeted recommendations") while its competitors will not.

there are many games and dlcs that I would never have known about if not for these ads.  I think you're overreacting quite a bit.  They don't get in the way of anything you actually want to do if you know what you want to do.  Do you not know how to bring up the guide?  Do you not know how to use the shoulder buttons?  Seems like you're making a huge deal from nothing.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1502 on: July 12, 2013, 12:24:24 AM »

Wombat from the CAGCast talked about his little girl, wanting to play some 360 games for kids, with his permission, she turns on system herself. He turns around then hears her screaming, and covering her eyes. She yelling at him to turn it off, turn it off. There's the zombie head on the TV in one of the big ad spaces. She's traumatized and doesn't want to play games anymore.

That's not overreacting. Can you imagine being a parent and dealing with nightmares after that?

It does sound like a problem that's more with their content control, rather than the actual ads. But if you think about it, you're paying for XBL, you'd think they could pay someone to be more vigilant. Although, I hear that up until then it hasn't been an issue.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: July 12, 2013, 12:42:16 AM »

The way I see it, as a consumer I should be able to turn off those annoying recommendations. I payed for my 360 and I payed for my year of XBL Gold, and MS said nothing about turning either into a TV network when I did. I can't turn off the commercials for TV and guess what - I rarely ever watch TV any more. I don't give a rats ass about whether they're too obtrusive or not; it's the principle of the thing. Like I said before - IMO there's too many execs on the Xbox management team who think they're wearing the next big media mogul hat.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:45:06 AM by kronovan » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 12, 2013, 01:02:53 AM »

Microsoft going back their core market with the XB1...businesses.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/07/11/microsoft-deems-the-xbox-one-an-entirely-justifiable-business-expense/
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1505 on: July 12, 2013, 03:42:02 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 12, 2013, 12:24:24 AM

Wombat from the CAGCast talked about his little girl, wanting to play some 360 games for kids, with his permission, she turns on system herself. He turns around then hears her screaming, and covering her eyes. She yelling at him to turn it off, turn it off. There's the zombie head on the TV in one of the big ad spaces. She's traumatized and doesn't want to play games anymore.

That's not overreacting. Can you imagine being a parent and dealing with nightmares after that?

It does sound like a problem that's more with their content control, rather than the actual ads. But if you think about it, you're paying for XBL, you'd think they could pay someone to be more vigilant. Although, I hear that up until then it hasn't been an issue.

Did he have his console auto-log in to his account? I turned that off to avoid that very thing - and IIRC my son (who has his own profile) is a child account and doesn't get those ads (I think his doesn't even go online automagically, though I could be wrong), and I set up his pinned games.

I feel for the little girl though, regardless. We too often forget the impact of things that we're desensitized to.

I really hope they decide to use the "Kids Zone" of the WP8 in the XBONE - a fantastic baked-in innovation.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:57:05 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1506 on: July 12, 2013, 04:17:39 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 11, 2013, 08:27:31 PM

One thing that bothers me abut Xbox Live is the total lack of customizing it.  In other words, I'd love the ability to turn on my 360 and having to worry about my 3 or 5 year old seeing an undead Zombie or something else inappropriate for kids.  If you don't get this, you must not have kids.  We don't have a separate DVD player in the living room, so this is an issue.

There is actually a way to set the dashboard to "family" mode, so it won't show M/R rated material by default.  I think you can do that by going to Settings -> Family and setting a ratings limit there.  You can then go into Privacy & Online Settings -> Customize Content -> Filtering to set all content to the Family filter. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 12, 2013, 04:27:20 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on July 12, 2013, 01:02:53 AM

I honestly don't get what's going on with MS. Can they be so tone deaf?  All you hear from the Sony camp is how much they love the gamers, and how we're going back to the glory days of the PSOne with thousands of games and how any developer is also a publisher and how they have an open door policy with indie companies and every gamer also gets a unicorn.  And MS? You can use the Xbone as a great conference call tool. Really? Out of all of the Xbone preorders, how many were made because of the potential of making a conference call?  MS has been 10 steps behind this whole time.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1508 on: July 12, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »

It's the same thing that happened with Sony. MS was on top this generation. That's 7 years of being the leader. After that amount of time, with the way corporations work, either the people who truly gave them their lead have left, or weren't in power to begin with. Likewise, just like with the PS2 and a little with the 360, sometimes you don't get your lead by being the best, sometimes your competitors bungle things so hard you end up on top and ride the wave.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: July 12, 2013, 01:35:28 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 12, 2013, 12:24:24 AM

As others have said, what about Wombat not turning on the family filters?  Where's his responsibility?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: July 12, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 12, 2013, 12:01:35 AM

Quote from: TiLT on July 05, 2013, 04:25:11 AM

there are many games and dlcs that I would never have known about if not for these ads.  I think you're overreacting quite a bit.  They don't get in the way of anything you actually want to do if you know what you want to do.  Do you not know how to bring up the guide?  Do you not know how to use the shoulder buttons?  Seems like you're making a huge deal from nothing.

while i agree that you can skip stuff(but TBH i very rarely bring the guide up),I do need to scroll past it all to get to Netflix..it still annoys me seeing things i don't use,the entire Music section will not get touched by me one bit I would love the option to just delete that entire wall(whatever) the entire music scene today have people i hate to even look at..so don't need to see them on my 360 doing their crap gangsta shit poses or some slutty girl band who probably sell records for all the wrong reasons

And why is it that on the App section,the Apps i have are not there on that screen?(eg:Netflix)I have to go into the Apps to get the App i want,it's always some other crap they are trying to get me to download(or even stuff i have downloaded but never use..yes Internet Explorer,i mean you!!),PUT MY APPs THAT I USE ON THE FRONT!!!(I can see that there is still the option to get more apps if i want more)

Oh,and also we have the added bonus of having Sky and Lovefilm plastered all over the place as well(SKY NOW TV advertisement on the Games Section or 'Rich list top 10' and 'The Following' advertisement on the Home section where you play the disc..i mean why????)

One more thing,the Eurosports App came out yesterday so i am told(yup its there on the Apps wall),surprisingly enough,you need a subscription to view it(Eurosports app i mean,not just XBLG)..I am pretty sure its on for Free on all our services in Britain(Freeview,Sky Satellite and Virgin Cable...and whatever crap BT have just brought out)..I guess that maybe EuroSports side of things to charge for it,but still

Anyway................

I am not entirely going to let Playstation off the hook either as there is something on PS3 as well that cheeses me off as well,some crap SINGSTAR thing(App,hub i don't know),its there,i can't delete it,when i turn on my PS3 bam! its the default thing that it settles on when i turn the PS3 on,its there with two assholes pretending to sing on my TV screen(takes up the whole screen)

Guess what SONY,i don't want two Justin Bieber wannabe's on my TV,i come to play video games to avoid crap like Britains got Talent or the X Factor

there's even a Facebook page to get rid off it(from the comments,its UK,Australia,South Africa + Denmark probably more)
https://www.facebook.com/RemoveSingstarFromThePs3Xmb

Spoiler for Hiden:

As i say to most people trying to sell me stuff,if i need anything,i'll come to you!!

so...yeah,screw the system!!!

no..i mean ..rant over

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: July 12, 2013, 02:03:16 PM »

Digital Spy

saywhat

PlayStation 4 fans flock to sign petition demanding return of controversial Xbox One features.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1512 on: July 12, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on July 12, 2013, 02:03:16 PM

Digital Spy

saywhat

PlayStation 4 fans flock to sign petition demanding return of controversial Xbox One features.

LOL, of course. biggrin
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: July 12, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »

I honestly don't get what's going on with MS. Can they be so tone deaf?

Microsoft has never cared about games or gaming. I am thoroughly convinced of that. Their decision to make a game console from the very start has been to develop an all-in-one media box for the living room. They've come right out and admitted that.

On the PC side, you don't have to go very far to see their lack of commitment to gaming. Their lackluster efforts with Games for Windows Live, the "Experience Index" that never amounted to anything - it's all been a bunch of lip service to gamers while they proceed with their real plans in the background.

I loved the 360 and Xbox Live was all that and a bag of chips, but I've never been under the illusion that Microsoft puts gaming as a top priority.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: July 12, 2013, 02:26:50 PM »

I signed, just for the hell of it. I want to play with MS' mind.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: July 12, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »

Digital Spy

saywhat

LOL,that explains everything!!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: July 12, 2013, 03:15:35 PM »

Digital Spy

saywhat

well that just guaranteed MS won't take the petition seriously.

not that it ever was.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: July 12, 2013, 03:50:09 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on July 12, 2013, 02:25:31 PM

I honestly don't get what's going on with MS. Can they be so tone deaf?

Microsoft has never cared about games or gaming. I am thoroughly convinced of that. Their decision to make a game console from the very start has been to develop an all-in-one media box for the living room. They've come right out and admitted that.

On the PC side, you don't have to go very far to see their lack of commitment to gaming. Their lackluster efforts with Games for Windows Live, the "Experience Index" that never amounted to anything - it's all been a bunch of lip service to gamers while they proceed with their real plans in the background.

I loved the 360 and Xbox Live was all that and a bag of chips, but I've never been under the illusion that Microsoft puts gaming as a top priority.

No, when Ed Fries was there, he actually cared about the gaming and the image that Xbox was bringing to the table.

Not to say overtaking the living room wasn't always part of the big picture, but it's possible to do that and care about making good games.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: July 12, 2013, 07:40:57 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 11, 2013, 09:08:55 PM

Makes me angry because the digital revolution has already come. Steam, PSN, and XBL all will pretty much work the same for digital downloads, regardless of whatever weird stopgap disc system they have.

This. If you want to be all digital you can on the PC and mostly on consoles. This has been expanding for years on the Xbox/PS3 and I'm sure it will grow more on the upcoming systems. There's no reason they can't offer both ways to customers.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: July 12, 2013, 08:27:44 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 12, 2013, 04:17:39 AM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 11, 2013, 08:27:31 PM

There is actually a way to set the dashboard to "family" mode, so it won't show M/R rated material by default.  I think you can do that by going to Settings -> Family and setting a ratings limit there.  You can then go into Privacy & Online Settings -> Customize Content -> Filtering to set all content to the Family filter.

Thank you.  I should have investigated further.  I'll do this tonight.

Wake up.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: