http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:18:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 75301 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: June 19, 2013, 08:55:31 PM »

I guess I am just not a grudge holding type of person.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1321 on: June 19, 2013, 08:57:20 PM »

There were some casualties in this announcement.

Family sharing is gone. Also, disc based games now require the disc in drive (imagine that).

Also, developers are going to have to make do without standard hard drive installs for every game.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:44 PM »

I did *not* see that coming! Thanks Sony for taking this battle for us all! Awesome of MS to actually realize they had gone a way their market didn't respond well to, and actually change course this crazy big.

I feel the consumers won this one(Well, except for Purge, since now the cloud thingie will never take off this generation if it ever was going to do anything).

Oh, and I, as others have noted, don't think Family Sharing was ever going to work the way it was thought by many, so I'm not sad that went away.

Now, all that MS needs is to make the console 100 dollars cheaper, and we have a contender!

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1323 on: June 19, 2013, 09:10:48 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 19, 2013, 09:07:44 PM

Now, all that MS needs is to make the console 100 dollars cheaper, and we have a contender!

They'd have to drop the mandatory Kinect for that. At that point the Xbox One would simply be a weaker PS4, so I don't think they want to go in that direction. Then again, my posts from within the last hour show that I'm not exactly the best person to predict what Microsoft will or won't do.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 19, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 19, 2013, 09:10:48 PM

They'd have to drop the mandatory Kinect for that. At that point the Xbox One would simply be a weaker PS4, so I don't think they want to go in that direction. Then again, my posts from within the last hour show that I'm not exactly the best person to predict what Microsoft will or won't do.

Hah, you are no longer my fortune teller cookie ;-)

Edit: I actually also meant a contender as in what console I wanted first :-)

A new one
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 19, 2013, 09:13:44 PM »

At $100 cheaper I'd probably move my preorder to the Xbone and buy a PS4 whenever Uncharted came out.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1326 on: June 19, 2013, 09:15:40 PM »

If, and only if, Kinect 2 is as accurate and responsive as they say, then in the long run it may be a good (maybe not better) choice for MS since they can secure a market that Sony can't touch. Although I'm not sure how much of a market there is for motion control games for a $500 console.

Thing is, digital is not going away. I foresee over half my games this coming generation being bought directly from MS and Sony digital stores. Especially so with the new streaming tech allowing you to play the game before it's fully downloaded (a must with the sizes of these modern games). I would't be surprised if they had pre-loading for games as well.

But the thing is, going back to no DRM means that console traditionalists aren't left out in the cold in this transitional console generation. The generation after this one, I don't think consoles will have disc drives, or even be recognizable as gaming consoles.

Also, neogaf has exploded. Tongue
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 19, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »

I am extremely happy to hear this and I am so in for my Xbox One now    nod

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:29:14 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1328 on: June 19, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »

Good on MS for listening to the consumer.  I'm still waiting until mid-2014 at the earliest to jump in, but glad to see it's competitive again.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 19, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »

Gamefly lives on yay!
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 19, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »

For someone who enjoys following the gaming industry almost as much as gaming itself the past 2 weeks have been awesome!
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 19, 2013, 09:44:40 PM »

Quote from: Laner on June 19, 2013, 09:26:29 PM

but glad to see it's competitive again.

Exactly this since gamer lose if Xbox One flops and Sony has no competition.

There is a still a lot of resistance to Kinect.  I think they would get even more support if they made it an option and offered a cheaper bundle.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 19, 2013, 09:51:30 PM »

1.   I'm ecstatic, and completely glad I pulled a Soulchilde and preordered both.
2.   I'm panicked, and trying to figure out how to raise the money for both.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1333 on: June 19, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 19, 2013, 09:44:40 PM

Exactly this since gamer lose if Xbox One flops and Sony has no competition.

I'd say it turned out rather well for the gamers with the PS2, and the threat of a comeback from a competitor would always cause these companies to strive for excellence. Now that both Sony and Microsoft have taken their separate punches to the nose, I'd think they've both learned their lessons.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 19, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »

Wow, did not expect this, at least not so soon. Now I have to decide what I want to do.

EDIT: well, Amazon still has Day One editions, so I preordered and I'll decide later.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: June 19, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »

Quote from: Laner on June 19, 2013, 09:26:29 PM

Good on MS for listening to the consumer.  I'm still waiting until mid-2014 at the earliest to jump in, but glad to see it's competitive again.

Same here! Good for Microsoft! smile

I'm still staying far away from it though at launch, since it's basically a gimped PS4, that is $100 more expensive....   'tarded!

Still, I'll pick it up sometime in 2014, for the exclusives.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 19, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »

But...the power of the cloud! Without it,  the xbone will just be an underpowered console! I'm guessing family sharing is dead. At least for disc based games anyways. Can MS completely change everything so soon before release and still make the release on time?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 19, 2013, 10:27:03 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 19, 2013, 10:21:02 PM

But...the power of the cloud! Without it,  the xbone will just be an underpowered console! I'm guessing family sharing is dead. At least for disc based games anyways. Can MS completely change everything so soon before release and still make the release on time?

Not without some red Kinects of death.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1338 on: June 19, 2013, 10:36:32 PM »

Considering that this announcement means that they have less to implement, not more, they can make this change. It won't exactly be easy, and there's stuff they've had to back away from that developers will now have wasted effort on, but it's easier than the other way around.

Although I wonder how much it is actually listening to consumers (or rather, trying to head off the total crap storm of bad publicity), and how much was that they were behind on implementing these systems in the first place. All reports indicate that they were way behind on development.

Still yes, a good thing overall. As much as I hate it now, I did make the same argument years ago with the PS3 that competition is going to be a good thing overall. Look at Sony back when it was on top of the heap, it was making mistakes just as bad. But, all through this console generation the competition between these two giants funded a plethora of games, and drastically increased the support developers got as these giants battled for exclusives, content, and market share.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:20:18 PM by Turtle » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 19, 2013, 10:49:23 PM »

Yep absolutely. I'm still sure that PS4 will win be the leader in overall sales this time around (heck it managed to do it last gen with a one year handicap and horrible price) but at least the xbone won't be completely blown out of the water and that will help keep Sony a little bit honest. Glad to hear that some people here are going to forgive MS for trying to screw over gamers because I'm sure not going to. Still, someone's gotta keep the scales a little bit balanced.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 19, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »

I am happy they listened to customers and will reward them with my money!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1341 on: June 19, 2013, 11:30:52 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 19, 2013, 10:49:23 PM

Glad to hear that some people here are going to forgive MS for trying to screw over gamers because I'm sure not going to. Still, someone's gotta keep the scales a little bit balanced.

Exactly - I have little intention on spending $500 after what Microsoft attempted to pull. And despite owning all 3 consoles last generation, I wanted to bring it down to 1 or 2 this time around.

As of right now, I'm perfectly fine just owning a PS4.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 19, 2013, 11:38:12 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 19, 2013, 10:21:02 PM

But...the power of the cloud! Without it,  the xbone will just be an underpowered console! I'm guessing family sharing is dead. At least for disc based games anyways. Can MS completely change everything so soon before release and still make the release on time?

Yeah, the whole cloud thing is basically dead now. Also, the Family Sharing thing has been axed as well. I can't believe how badly MS has screwed this whole launch up.

Kudos to them for ditching the DRM....but they have done tons of needless damage to their brand with this. They also now just killed the only thing that really could make them competitive with the brute power of the PS4.....the "power of the cloud".

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1343 on: June 19, 2013, 11:47:41 PM »

Family Sharing could NEVER have worked as described.

"Yes, you can take this one game you bought and allow up to TEN OTHERS play it when you're not."

The smart publishers would be all, "This is worse than Blockbuster. No way I'm allowing this." Either that or 'a multiplayer component' would be in every single game made period in an attempt to keep people playing instead of Family Sharing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 19, 2013, 11:47:55 PM »

Well this does make things more complicated.  icon_confused

I'm still leaning heavily toward PS4 at launch, Xbone at first price drop, but now selling blood or something to fund both is sounding more appealing. At the very least, MS's stance change has moved the Xbone from the 'boycott' column to the 'consider' column.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 19, 2013, 11:49:24 PM »

According to an article I just read on Polygon....MS is refusing to give any assurances they won't change the DRM policy back to the way it was in the future....

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Wow, how can a few of you be so willing to throw your cash at these fools?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 19, 2013, 11:53:21 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 19, 2013, 11:47:41 PM

Family Sharing could NEVER have worked as described.

"Yes, you can take this one game you bought and allow up to TEN OTHERS play it when you're not."

The smart publishers would be all, "This is worse than Blockbuster. No way I'm allowing this." Either that or 'a multiplayer component' would be in every single game made period in an attempt to keep people playing instead of Family Sharing.

pretty much this.  of course you can just as easily pass a disc around, but not to up to 10 people simultaneously unless you all live very close to each other.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1347 on: June 20, 2013, 12:01:02 AM »

Ultimate bait and switch if they turn on the DRM in the middle of the cycle.

Now, normally I'd say that would never happen, but just having MS drop these policies now is something amazing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:03:57 AM by Turtle » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 20, 2013, 12:05:50 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 19, 2013, 11:47:55 PM

Well this does make things more complicated.  icon_confused

I'm still leaning heavily toward PS4 at launch, Xbone at first price drop, but now selling blood or something to fund both is sounding more appealing. At the very least, MS's stance change has moved the Xbone from the 'boycott' column to the 'consider' column.
XB1 has always been "maybe eventually" depending on exclusives for me.  I just look at my game collection for 360/Ps3 and it's 80% multiplatform games, so I kind of got to go with the cheaper more powerful system.  The policy change really just means I won't feel quite as bad about getting an XB1 if I eventually do.  I'd still really like to see them follow Sony's approach to indie games as well and to allow them to self publish to the platform and also make it easier/cheaper for developers to roll out patches/title updates. 
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: June 20, 2013, 12:58:26 AM »

Doesn't change my mind since my choice was made on other factors, but that was one of the most triumphant "consumer victory" stories I've experienced in a long time. Bravo to the internet!!!
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: June 20, 2013, 01:12:29 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 20, 2013, 12:58:26 AM

Doesn't change my mind since my choice was made on other factors, but that was one of the most triumphant "consumer victory" stories I've experienced in a long time. Bravo to the internet!!!

Yep yep, I'm still going PS4 at launch, but now I will also get an Xbox One sometime within the next year.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: June 20, 2013, 01:26:46 AM »

Did anyone else catch this part of Mattric's comment
An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again.

So from that quote the Xbox will require a one time connection to the internet when you first get the system. I wonder how much that will impact people? It wouldn't bother me, but does this still lock the system out for people in the military and people in countries not supported by Live?

Also if the system is region lock free, DRM free, and 24 hour connection free, why does it need the initial connection?  

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:29:28 AM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: June 20, 2013, 01:30:40 AM »

I don't suppose there's any chance the 360 racing wheel will work with the xbone?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1353 on: June 20, 2013, 01:32:35 AM »

Sounds like that will just be for initial setup of the account, and passing the basic licensing/drm codes to the system.

Much like how steam requires you to at least get online once to setup your account (and grab a game).

It was already confirmed that older 360 peripherals, such as wheels, will not work on the XB1. This is also true for the PS4 last I checked.

However, I expect the manufacturers of certain higher end wheels to have conversion boxes available. Let's be frank, it's a wheel, the inputs and outputs can't be that different. Either that, or they'll just do a patch to allow them.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: June 20, 2013, 01:46:53 AM »

Meh - I'm not too eager to drop another $150+ for a racing wheel for Forza 5, if there even is one at launch. Game is not nearly as good without one.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: June 20, 2013, 02:12:41 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 20, 2013, 01:26:46 AM

Did anyone else catch this part of Mattric's comment
An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again.

So from that quote the Xbox will require a one time connection to the internet when you first get the system. I wonder how much that will impact people? It wouldn't bother me, but does this still lock the system out for people in the military and people in countries not supported by Live?

Also if the system is region lock free, DRM free, and 24 hour connection free, why does it need the initial connection?  

There is a required day 1 patch now that enables this "offline" mode.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: June 20, 2013, 04:07:13 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 19, 2013, 09:41:35 PM

For someone who enjoys following the gaming industry almost as much as gaming itself the past 2 weeks have been awesome!

Yeah, it's been really interesting watching the developments. Good on MS for changing their mind. It just goes to show that sometimes it's good to listen to your future customer. For something as personal as a console, what's offered can make a big difference. And just because something might sound good on paper doesn't always mean it would be good in practice.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1357 on: June 20, 2013, 04:20:59 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 19, 2013, 11:22:28 PM

You would have "rewarded" them with your money anyway.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 20, 2013, 04:34:19 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 20, 2013, 04:20:59 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 19, 2013, 11:22:28 PM

You would have "rewarded" them with your money anyway.

true, but now I shall wrap it in a bow and make sure none of it has touched a strippers ass.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: June 20, 2013, 05:26:45 AM »

I was glad to read that announcement from Microsoft today. They have had sense knocked into them. The Xbox One now has a fighting chance. I'm still leaning heavily towards a PS4 as my next console.. but this now makes Xbox One a possible option in the future.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: