http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 05:56:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 81443 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: June 12, 2013, 07:37:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 12, 2013, 06:22:38 PM

Don't like Windows 8?  get Windows 7!
It's our good fortune as customers that we can do that.  Otherwise, we would just have to deal with it.

Xbone region availability by country seems to be blowing up today for MS.  It's seems like...oh nevermind, I can't even possibly begin to understand what MS executives are thinking.
e1123
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: June 12, 2013, 07:45:24 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 12, 2013, 07:35:26 PM

Quote from: msduncan on June 12, 2013, 07:19:36 PM

Concerning preordering from Amazon:

I have my orders set up as Second Day shipping.    Does this mean I get it the day after release day, or it ships the day after release day and I get it a few days later?

I really hate having to wait a few days after launch for something like this, but I can't swallow the Gamestop usual tricks of bundling the hell out of these machines.    So my
first instinct was to preorder both of them from Amazon.

At least for games, 2-day shipping can still mean release day arrival.  For example, my Last of Us preorder is showing as being prepped to ship out today to get at my doorstep on release day.

At the very least, if Amazon ends up providing a different release day shipping option, you'll still be able to change your shipping option after placing the preorder.
They normally don't have release day as an option until the date gets closer and they always upgrade my two-day shipping for games and movies for free.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: June 12, 2013, 07:53:26 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 12, 2013, 05:47:43 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen those in my local GAME/GAMESTOP store actually....I think it was something like this that I saw: http://gizmodo.com/5563483/power-a-makes-a-wireless-xbox-360-controller-for-the-ps3

Well, damn. I totally would have bought one of those.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: June 12, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »

I think Fraser Agar from Video Games Awesome really says what I've been thinking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oiKfef4ep3c#t=640s
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1164 on: June 12, 2013, 11:32:48 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 12, 2013, 07:53:26 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen those in my local GAME/GAMESTOP store actually....I think it was something like this that I saw: http://gizmodo.com/5563483/power-a-makes-a-wireless-xbox-360-controller-for-the-ps3

Gioteck made a couple too.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: June 13, 2013, 01:17:04 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on June 12, 2013, 11:55:32 AM

I'll be there at some point....but not at $500. Not with their DRM policy. If they ditch the DRM, I'd be open to getting one at launch....but there is no way that is happening at this point. They made their bed and they will have to lay in it.

Ill get one when either it is sub-$300....or they lose the DRM.

I'm in the same boat will get the PS4 first then later will pick up the xbox one when the price drops.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: June 13, 2013, 02:26:39 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 12, 2013, 02:46:03 PM

Microsoft's one advantage was that they would be able to get the publishers on their side but they can only use that to their advantage if they carve out the majority of the marketshare.  If Sony ends up with a larger market share than Microsoft then the publishers are going to tell them to go F#&$ themselves, DRM or no. And that battle doesn't begin in six months, it's already begun and is possibly over.  How many people have we seen on different forums saying that they've pre-ordered a PS4 and how many have we seen that have pre-ordered an Xbox? The gulf is huge. A pre-order isn't necessarily a sale of course but it's a pretty good indication of what's going to happen.
Well, I don't think there were a lot of XB1's available for pre-order to begin with, so the Gulf could just be lack of availability... XB1's are not available anymore except for some trickles here and there, but I can still go get a PS4 pre-order at my local GameStops... The only real way to determine pre-order popularity would be if there were an equal number of both consoles available for pre-order.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: June 13, 2013, 02:32:19 AM »

Actually, Amazon is sill taking day 1 XB1 orders.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: June 13, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on June 13, 2013, 01:17:04 AM

Quote from: Hetz on June 12, 2013, 11:55:32 AM

I'll be there at some point....but not at $500. Not with their DRM policy. If they ditch the DRM, I'd be open to getting one at launch....but there is no way that is happening at this point. They made their bed and they will have to lay in it.

Ill get one when either it is sub-$300....or they lose the DRM.

I'm in the same boat will get the PS4 first then later will pick up the xbox one when the price drops.

That is basically my plan as well..i have no doubt that i will have both systems,but because the Xbox One has not impressed me,its could be up to 6 months to a year late to the console wars in my house icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: June 13, 2013, 10:32:31 AM »

word on the new achievement system

Xbox One Achievements will be split into two types - achievements and challenges - and offer new kinds of rewards, including extra game content such as maps, characters and stat boosts.

saywhat

so the best players will get the most content Tongue

t isn't clear whether you can actually earn Achievements for watching films and playing music, but it sounds to me like other Xbox One applications are only involved with Achievement rewards.

Only game achievements (lower-case - a specific type of Achievement) will award you Gamerscore, though. This is still "a critical part of the Xbox gaming experience", McDonald wrote, reiterating that Gamerscore will carry across from Xbox 360 to Xbox One.

Challenges differ in that they're time-limited but can also be shared across different games and earned by multiple people - communities.

"Imagine, for example, a game releases a headshot weekend challenge that requires players to cumulatively headshot 1 million baddies in a three-day period. And every person who participates and meets the challenge's goals gets the unlock on his or her Achievement history and reaps its reward," McDonald explained.

There's no Gamerscore awarded for challenges because challenges expire, which wouldn't be fair on Sally and Jim who were on holiday when the challenge was added, for instance.

Xbox One Achievements are cloud-powered so they're less rigorously a nailed to a game upon release, which is why challenges can be cross-game and involve multiple people. It also means developers can add new achievements to existing games and not have to bung them in paid DLC. You'll save money and developers will be able to react to how the community is playing a game.

Finally, the Xbox One dashboard apparently "greatly improves" how you discover and view Achievements, and will present you with progression data outside of - and before - you launch a game. You'll be able to see how your Xbox One Friends are getting on as well.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: June 13, 2013, 04:39:12 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 12, 2013, 11:32:48 PM

Quote from: ATB on June 12, 2013, 07:53:26 PM

Gioteck made a couple too.

damn those are ugly.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: June 13, 2013, 04:40:59 PM »

Xbox One Achievements will be split into two types - achievements and challenges - and offer new kinds of rewards, including extra game content such as maps, characters and stat boosts.

it'll probably be stuff they sell as DLC.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: June 13, 2013, 05:05:46 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 13, 2013, 02:32:19 AM

Actually, Amazon is sill taking day 1 XB1 orders.

yesterday they had two offerings for it too- the standard and day one.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: June 13, 2013, 05:09:33 PM »

icon_lol

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: June 13, 2013, 05:29:28 PM »

A joke from Microsoft's Xbox Canada website:

Why is it called the Xbox One? Because Microsoft took 359 steps back.
   icon_razz
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: June 13, 2013, 09:32:06 PM »

I'm trying to be careful about phrasing things in absolutes, but I just can't get over how terribly Microsoft has approached this unveiling.  It's like their high-level investors fell so in love with the amount of money and usage data their relentless DRM tracking would bring in that they earnestly began to view them as selling points for the average consumer.

Every single detail I know about the Xbox One falls into one of two categories: stuff I couldn't care less about, like the multimedia features and live game streaming; and things I actively do not want to have, such as constant Kinect monitoring, internet verifications, and usage terms that suffocate lending and resale potential.  And it's more expensive!

Why are we supposed to want this console?  Does anyone here know?  I mean, nominally I'd like to play more Halo or Dead Rising or Gears of War, but considering that I have Halo 4, Dead Rising 2, and the last two Gears of War games waiting in my backlog already, their distant sequels aren't even remotely compelling.

Sometimes a company's messaging is just weirdly out of step with the actual product.  I thought Thief: The Dark Project and Dead Space looked awful in their pre-release showings.  The new Tomb Raider struck some pretty sour chords with some of their marketing too.  All those games turned out wonderfully.  Maybe the Xbox One will turn out to be great too.

It's just real hard to imagine at the moment.

-Autistic Angel
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 13, 2013, 10:56:40 PM »

I've asked around and from what it seems, Microsoft is not trying to sell the console to US, the gamers, because we're going to buy it anyway.  They're trying to sell it to the nongamer who wants a fancy box in their living room so Microsoft can "own the living room."  This sort of makes sense since they used to own the office and don't own that anymore, so they've gotta try dominating at something.

The problem for them is that they forgot they have a real strong competitor in Sony and that the assumption that we're 'going to buy it anyway' was probably a shitty one.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: June 13, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »

This was a post over on Octopus Overlords by Gavin.   I thought it summarized the situation nicely:

Let's not forget that Microsoft's desire to push cloud processing into the market will mean that not only are you going to need a decent connection, but you're going to need one for even single player games. I can't imagine a future where lag becomes a factor in single player experiences and yet Microsoft is setting the stage for that just because they want to force their cloud computing on developers/publishers.

I think it's important to note that the Xbone will be fun. It'll have good games and when everything works it'll be just like old times. But the problem afoot is that they've actively taken the steps to take control and choice away from the customer. When we have alternatives like the PS4 and computers it really just doesn't make sense to pay them more for things we don't want. While no single step (except the preowned games bit) are specifically death blows to the console, it's the combination of all of them that each put them at a slightly greater disadvantage. At the end of the day, I look at the ps4 and the Xbone that are competing for the same market space and I don't see any victory on MS's side this time around.

It's ridiculous. The ps3/360 generation made me think that Sony had no idea what customers wanted and suddenly with this generation they're responding in real time to our complaints with Microsoft. It shows they've changed and recognise who ultimately pays their bills. They even got our humor right with things like the instructional video on how to transfer preowned games. A company expressing humor has been a rare thing, but they're doing ok at it and that's surprising. Microsoft not only isn't getting us, but they're solving problems we don't have.

1. I have no desire/neet to run my cable through any other box before it gets to my TV. That's just another step for me. My DVR already records up to four channels and shows recorded it are playable anywhere in the house. Hell, my cable company allows me to watch any of my shows, live, from any internet streaming device.

2. Microsoft's dashboard is infuriating. Say what you will about the ps3 but the dashboard is clean and simple. Very easy to navigate. The 360 has a really cluttered environment that we have no control over and it is stuffed full of ads that so much as hovering over will blast a trailer/commercial your way. This meant my ps3 was my main media source and my 360 only saw action for the kinect of the few exclusives it had.

3. Pushing cloud computing for all games means Always Online DRM. They're the same thing. The fact that they purposely targeted weaker hardware just to push this feature AND are charging us more is insulting.

4. Forced kinect use. It is required during regular gameplay and is always on if your Xbox is anything other than completely powered off (not the sleep mode that it'll go to by default). Microsoft says that you can change the privacy settings but we have no way of knowing if maybe we missed a setting that still sends information or if they'll do what Facebook has done a few times where all the privacy settings got reset without you knowing and all the data gets sent then. If all games have to use kinect, what kind of stupid and gimmicky features will even good games try to throw in at the behest of microsoft? Either way, the fact that you can't turn it off while using the system is just Microsoft forcing something on consumers because they believe it's the way to go. Shame on them.

5. The 2 new games per month for Gold membership lie/misdirect. They clearly marketed this to detract from Sony's deal. See, PS+ members have been getting a really great list of high-profile titles for free ($50/year) for over a year now as well as access to a lot of neat features. The one-game per month thing just keeps happening and sometimes it's more. The fact that Microsoft announced that and hid the fact that it ends this December brings to mind the thinly veiled deceit that a company like EA would pull to justify doing something wrong.

6. The cost: Weaker machine = $500, the more powerful machine = $400. Sure, the kinect comes with the $500 but there's no choice in the matter.

7. Used Games shenanigans: Microsoft has created a tool that will give companies like EA the power to make sure we never own a game again. Instead, we're paying for a non-transferrable membership that allows us to play a game. That ability to give away a game? That's only if the developer allows it.

8. Hardware: Both systems have access to cloud computing (Gaikai for Sony) so Microsoft's promise of cloud computing doubling/tripling the system performance is a red herring. The PS4 is estimated to be around 50% more powerful than the Xbone. You and I won't really notice a difference there. I don't think so anyways. But developers will and we certainly won't see poorer performance on the ps4 since it's the same architecture as the Xbone and PCs. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... s-xbox-one

Sony isn't even expecting to take a hit per console like they did with the ps3 so that the Xbone came in so weak is ridiculous. This is microsoft, they had the partners to make cost efficient hardware. There's really no exuce.

9. Their competitor, Sony, is providing every reason to give them a shot. They're trying to get out of the customers way and just let us enjoy the thing in our way. The only negatives with them are things Microsoft is doing too or already has been doing and it makes sense.

10. Microsoft's promiscuity. By making all these anti-consumer/privacy concern issues defineable at the developer/publisher level, they are essentially making Xbone owners also trust every company that microsoft is in bed with. I do not put it past EA to try to collect information we don't want them having that we wave away with some pre-game license agreement.

Both consoles have great exclusives though I also prefer Sony's titles. But everything preceding this would have been enough to make me pass on the Xbone, at least for the first several years, even if they had a noticeable advantage. But as is, for me, all roads lead to Sony.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: June 13, 2013, 11:02:07 PM »

Here's what I feel is the difference between Sony and Microsoft after this E3:

Sony is listening to what gamers want.

Microsoft is telling gamers what they think they need.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 13, 2013, 11:16:20 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 13, 2013, 10:56:40 PM

I've asked around and from what it seems, Microsoft is not trying to sell the console to US, the gamers, because we're going to buy it anyway.  They're trying to sell it to the nongamer who wants a fancy box in their living room so Microsoft can "own the living room."  This sort of makes sense since they used to own the office and don't own that anymore, so they've gotta try dominating at something.

The problem for them is that they forgot they have a real strong competitor in Sony and that the assumption that we're 'going to buy it anyway' was probably a shitty one.

That's interesting because back in 2001 or 2002 when the first Xbox was in development, I was a Microsoft employee in the old WebTV group in the SF Bay Area. I remember going to an internal group meeting/presentation where Xbox was unveiled (there wasn't even a prototype ready yet)  and even back then, over 10 years ago, it was made pretty clear during the presentation that the Xbox would be the first step in a long range goal of putting an entertainment hub in everyone's living room. Xbone sounds like the final iteration of that goal.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 14, 2013, 12:28:16 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on June 13, 2013, 11:02:07 PM

Here's what I feel is the difference between Sony and Microsoft after this E3:

Sony is listening to what gamers want.

Microsoft is telling gamers what they think they need.

I think this is a very true statement, but for once I'm actually going to defend M$.  I think what's fairly clear is they are trying to build on their gaming platform to push further into the elusive "one box for the living room" that has been talked about for years.  Unfortunately by doing so they are alienating a part of the gaming audience, but the upside for people like me who are both gamers and general entertainment enthusiasts, is that theoretically they are delivering a full one-stop shop.  And even further, using the Kinect and its voice recognition to create a simpler refined interface to all of the entertainment content.  Its not just Sony that they are targeting, but more importantly they are going after Apple before it releases whatever TV trick it may or may not have.  Personally I think if they can pull it off, it's a great strategy to strike first and leverage off a known technology (Kinect).  At least for once they are taking a gamble and trying to get to the forefront instead of always coming from behind.

I know there are solutions around this, but in my present configuration, I have to hit about 3 or 4 buttons to get from watching live TV to watching Netflix (on my Apple TV or on PS3).  Same thing if I want to go from playing a game on the PS3 or watching a Blu-Ray to the DVR.  It sounds silly/lazy, but it's one of those "path of least resistance" things.  Imagine instead of finding another remote and hitting buttons, I just say "Xbox, I want to play Halo 5" and boom it's there.  Maybe an hour later I remember there's an NBA game on, so I hold my hand up to pause the game, then say "Xbox I want to watch the Miami Spurs game" and boom it's there.  If one box can really unify my gaming, movies and music (both streaming and hard media) and live TV seamlessly, I'm definitely all for it.  If it puts the pressure on Apple to deliver something more spectacular for Apple TV, all the better. 

Anyway, this article from Wired has some interesting stuff in case it wasn't linked before:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 14, 2013, 01:03:20 AM »

Have they addressed how they are going to work with DVRs?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 14, 2013, 01:17:58 AM »

do NSA agents get to watch you have sex on the couch?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: June 14, 2013, 01:30:18 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 14, 2013, 01:17:58 AM

do NSA agents get to watch you have sex on the couch?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 14, 2013, 01:34:48 AM »

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: June 14, 2013, 01:48:24 AM »

I didn't know this free games thing was a promotion that'll end in December.  That's pretty underhanded.

There were two moments for me that signalled Sony was finally getting it compared to the last launch.  The first, believe it or not, was having the head of Sony Entertainment coming out on stage.  This was meant to be a sign that the higher ups were actually on board now.  Last go 'round, one of the big issues was that the other divisions didn't care about the little console side of things, but were the ones making the decisions about it.  This was definitely a humbling moment saying to investors that they get it.  That CEO was terrible on stage, of course, but it didn't matter. 

The guy who wasn't terrible was the big doofy guy who demoed a lot of the games with a gamers attitude (not "attitude"), showing excitement and humor.   This showed that they weren't taking themselves too seriously, but they were taking the gaming seriously.  They drove it all home with the final mea culpa of referencing the giant crab and massive damage. 

It was sly, but in the right way.  Well done.  They deserved to win E3.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 14, 2013, 02:31:01 AM »

Ok this wouldn't apply to me because I don't have this many friends period, much less over at my house at the same time....   

HOWEVER.... this disturbs and angers me just for the principle of the thing:

http://gamingtrend.com/2012/11/10/new-microsoft-patent-to-limit-kinect-audience-raises-concerns/
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 14, 2013, 02:36:50 AM »

just have everyone wear pillow cases on their heads.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1188 on: June 14, 2013, 05:51:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2013, 02:36:50 AM

Well, that will certainly make the NSA handlers spying you feel at home.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 14, 2013, 05:57:12 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on June 13, 2013, 11:16:20 PM

Quote from: gellar on June 13, 2013, 10:56:40 PM

That's interesting because back in 2001 or 2002 when the first Xbox was in development, I was a Microsoft employee in the old WebTV group in the SF Bay Area. I remember going to an internal group meeting/presentation where Xbox was unveiled (there wasn't even a prototype ready yet)  and even back then, over 10 years ago, it was made pretty clear during the presentation that the Xbox would be the first step in a long range goal of putting an entertainment hub in everyone's living room. Xbone sounds like the final iteration of that goal.

I remember back when Bill Gates was in charge, and he stated several times that the goal was exactly this - Get his products that will become a major hub of the household into every single household. He was talking about landline phones with video and an entertainment unit all rolled into one back then, so yeah, they have always as far as I can tell, been about this.

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: June 14, 2013, 07:07:01 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 14, 2013, 02:31:01 AM

Ok this wouldn't apply to me because I don't have this many friends period, much less over at my house at the same time....   

http://gamingtrend.com/2012/11/10/new-microsoft-patent-to-limit-kinect-audience-raises-concerns/

Jeez,thats awful!!,and no it probably wouldn't apply to me either,but still

Is that still true though?,as that article is from last year and probably when one of the early leaks happened

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1191 on: June 14, 2013, 07:58:53 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 14, 2013, 07:07:01 AM

Quote from: msduncan on June 14, 2013, 02:31:01 AM

Jeez,thats awful!!,and no it probably wouldn't apply to me either,but still

Is that still true though?,as that article is from last year and probably when one of the early leaks happened

It's just a patent. Sony has patents for all kinds of crazy shit too, like DRM chips in game discs, but that doesn't mean they're going to actually use them in a commercial product.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 14, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »

Has this been gone over already? Some people are claiming that when you buy a copy of a game you're essentially getting a free copy for a "family" friend as well.  I'm looking at this quotation and I'm not sure that I'm seeing it. Also, I don't think that if you have 9 other friends on your family list that all 10 of you can play at the same time even if you're playing different games:
Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friendís house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games.  You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
The last sentence is key. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
First, notice (according to the way it's written anyways) it doesn't say "anyone" but "any one". This suggests to me that you may have 9 other family members on your account but only one of them can play a game from your library at one time. Secondly, he says that they can be "playing from your shared library". He doesn't actually say "playing the same game".  So there's a good possibility that you won't be able to buy a copy of COD XX and have you and your son playing using the same copy at the same time.  I don't think MS has any fucking clue what they're saying to be honest.  This all seems completely by the seat of their pants.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 14, 2013, 08:32:58 AM »

BTW, is Purge ok? I haven't seen any posts from him since E3.  I hope he didn't do anything drastic when Sony announced "No DRM and $399!"
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: June 14, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 14, 2013, 08:32:58 AM

BTW, is Purge ok? I haven't seen any posts from him since E3.  I hope he didn't do anything drastic when Sony announced "No DRM and $399!"

I had the same thought - well, not about Sony but in general!

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1195 on: June 14, 2013, 08:45:41 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 14, 2013, 08:27:54 AM

Has this been gone over already? Some people are claiming that when you buy a copy of a game you're essentially getting a free copy for a "family" friend as well.  I'm looking at this quotation and I'm not sure that I'm seeing it. Also, I don't think that if you have 9 other friends on your family list that all 10 of you can play at the same time even if you're playing different games:
Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friendís house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games.  You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
The last sentence is key. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
First, notice (according to the way it's written anyways) it doesn't say "anyone" but "any one". This suggests to me that you may have 9 other family members on your account but only one of them can play a game from your library at one time. Secondly, he says that they can be "playing from your shared library". He doesn't actually say "playing the same game".  So there's a good possibility that you won't be able to buy a copy of COD XX and have you and your son playing using the same copy at the same time.  I don't think MS has any fucking clue what they're saying to be honest.  This all seems completely by the seat of their pants.

I wouldn't expect the MS family thing to give you anything beyond what you'd get with a retail disc.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1196 on: June 14, 2013, 10:02:44 AM »

The whole entertainment centre while commendable and may work in the US looks like it may struggle in the st of the world.

With stuff like the BBC and no adverts, commercial television, sky, virgin, free view, free view hd and so on its a long and complicated list. It just looks like it ends up being a not happening. So if you boil it down to a games console it is way behind the PS4.

I mean half of europe isnt even going to be available at launch. Poland, Portugal, Malta, Cyprus and so on. My dad lived in cyprus and bought a PS3 at 65 to use as a blu ray and media player along with his pc.

As a retail and now business manager some of their decisions seem like madness. Its almost like no one has stood up to be counted and said this is madness, why are we doing this. It reminds me of an episode on tv about a bakers in the uk called Greggs. They were opening a new cafe style shop and in the upper management meeting they were discussing strategy and the top bod said to save cost no plates or knives and forks. There was silence from the room. You could tell everyone was thinking WTF but said nothing. On opening day the amount of complaints about no plates or cutlery was astronomical and it en ded up being changed when in reality it should have been challenged when suggested.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: June 14, 2013, 10:17:33 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 14, 2013, 08:37:26 AM

Quote from: Canuck on June 14, 2013, 08:32:58 AM

I had the same thought - well, not about Sony but in general!

He's in a WW game with me on OO and he stated E3 and other personal issues would limit his internet access

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 14, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 14, 2013, 05:51:55 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2013, 02:36:50 AM

Well, that will certainly make the NSA handlers spying you feel at home.

especially if you wear black ones.

Because I can,
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1199 on: June 14, 2013, 11:10:05 AM »

5. The 2 new games per month for Gold membership lie/misdirect. They clearly marketed this to detract from Sony's deal. See, PS+ members have been getting a really great list of high-profile titles for free ($50/year) for over a year now as well as access to a lot of neat features. The one-game per month thing just keeps happening and sometimes it's more. The fact that Microsoft announced that and hid the fact that it ends this December brings to mind the thinly veiled deceit that a company like EA would pull to justify doing something wrong.

Wait... they didn't hide anything unless I'm misunderstanding the complaint.  It was known on the same day they announced the free games that the promotion would be over at the end of the year.   Yeah, it's a response to the Instant Game Collection - so? People have complained about not getting their money's worth with Gold, so MS sweetens the pot.  I fail to see the problem.  As long as your rights to play the games don't disappear come Dec 31, that's fine.

And I disagree with Sony's "really great list of high profile titles for free" - the IGC is quite a value, no doubt.   But the list of games the US has gotten is average at best, with only a handful of "high profile titles" sprinkled in as the next gen battle for hearts and minds heats up.  Yeah UC3 and XCom are great, but there were months and months of tripe like Bloodrayne Betrayal, Knytt, Frogger Returns, etc. with very few AAA titles.  I'm not complaining - free is free (well, $50/year), but let's not exaggerate the overall quality of the titles included.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: