http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 11:43:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 67916 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #800 on: May 24, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 24, 2013, 02:47:44 PM

Cloud DRM? Explain how what their (assumed) DRM strategy has anything to do with cloud computing, or how you feel their DRM differs from today's XBLA and full download titles.

Uh, they already talked about this during their conference, and afterwards in interviews. Utilizing the cloud is an optional part of creating Xbox One games that Microsoft "hopes developers will use". Any game that uses this will instantly be protected by their DRM schemes by the very nature of being in the cloud. Of course, the entire Xbox One is wrapped in layers of DRM already (as is expected on a console), but they've taken it many steps further. This is the argument they'll use to argue why you should be always online ("otherwise your games that use the cloud wouldn't work. We're just protecting you here, honest!"). How this differs from XBLA and full download titles should be obvious. Those are downloaded from the cloud, and then they're done. Xbox One games that use the cloud, use it all the time. You can't go offline, so you'll have no chance of playing these games without buying the entire thing, no matter what you do. And what if the servers go down? Can you imagine what would have happened if the Sony server crash hadn't just affected the ability to use PSN, but the ability to play your own singleplayer games on your own PS3? If you think Microsoft is immune to this kind of thing, think again. A reliance on the cloud for Xbox One games will make them one of the most attractive hacker targets in the world. The victims will be the customers, no matter what. There's no gain here, only loss.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 24, 2013, 04:13:35 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 24, 2013, 11:46:11 AM

More rumours about the used game thing,they sound ridiculous
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-24-this-is-how-xbox-one-game-trade-ins-will-work-apparently
If you want to trade in an Xbox One game you will need to find a shop that has agreed to Microsoft's terms and is therefore connected to the Xbox One cloud.

The game will be registered as traded in and will be wiped from your Xbox Live account. The shop can resell it for whatever price it likes but the game's publisher now takes a cut and so does Microsoft, a source-based MCV report revealed.

Anyone buying that second-hand game will need to pay an activation fee of £35, a separate unconfirmed report on ConsoleDeals.co.uk claimed.

as said New Games cost £39.99

The same report [did not say a shop's cut from that second-hand sale could be as low as 10 per cent -Bertie] said shops could be forced to sell second-hand games at a maximum discount of 10 per cent.

Combine that measly 10 per cent discount and the £35 activation fee and you have figures that add up to not much sense at all for the shopper.

Yesterday on Major Nelson's site,someone said new retail games would be $79.99,not sure where he has heard that from,but i hope its bollocks...or perhaps he meant Australian Dollars(which i think is what they are priced at anyway)

they updated that article:

Update: You, the shopper, won't have to pay the activation fee for a used Xbox One game - the shop will. Therefore, the price you see on a second-hand Xbox One game in a shop is the price you'll pay to be able to play it.

That's what a high-ranking UK industry source explained to me this afternoon.

The reason there's all this confusion is because Microsoft hasn't decided what the activation fee will be yet. The £35 figure reported in the story below sounds too high - perhaps it includes the shop's sale price as well.

My source confirmed that part of that activation fee will go to a publisher and part to Microsoft.

What this means for second-hand games is that Microsoft effectively controls how much they cost, because it controls the activation fee. Whether that fee will move up or down or diminish over time isn't clear. But it does mean second-hand games will probably be more expensive than they are now.

My source didn't know what Sony was up to but doubts the PlayStation maker will do the same thing, not because it's angelic but because it lacks the kind of pricey infrastructure something like this requires.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 24, 2013, 04:18:19 PM »

Maybe it's just careful and careless marketing speak from both Sony and MS respectively.  I'm paraphrasing here, but the message "we're making a console for gamers and developers", is right on target for me.  From a consumer point of view, it seems like MS leaders are struggling to find a unified message for the new Xbox.  What is it?  Why does it exist?  Their answers to both questions during the reveal were not what I was looking for.

I like good competition.  MS needs to get their message and concept sorted out for E3.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 24, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 24, 2013, 03:50:17 PM

I heard to play used games you need to sacrifice a Mexican...

tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #804 on: May 24, 2013, 05:00:51 PM »

: What I'm trying to say is that Microsoft is using this argument as a way to justify their cloud DRM. It's just empty talk meant to make it easier for us to swallow their bitter pill. Don't listen to it.
I agree, if it were true that the xbone could do all this cpu/gpu work in the clouds it would be like 99 bucks as it would basically be a terminal and would have to be 24/7 internet connected.  As you point out, this is just the simcity DRM crap all over again.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:02:24 PM by tcweidner » Logged

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #805 on: May 24, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 24, 2013, 04:18:19 PM

the message "we're making a console for gamers and developers", is right on target for me. 

But first and formost I am a consumer followed by a gamer and am not a developer. The above leads to crappy DRM and stuff that is just not good for the consumer.

Annoy the consumer and there wont be any developers or gamers.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 24, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 24, 2013, 04:20:26 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 24, 2013, 03:50:17 PM

I heard to play used games you need to sacrifice a Mexican...

aye carumba!

Because I can,
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 24, 2013, 06:04:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 24, 2013, 04:13:35 PM

Update: You, the shopper, won't have to pay the activation fee for a used Xbox One game - the shop will. Therefore, the price you see on a second-hand Xbox One game in a shop is the price you'll pay to be able to play it.

The reason there's all this confusion is because Microsoft hasn't decided what the activation fee will be yet. The £35 figure reported in the story below sounds too high - perhaps it includes the shop's sale price as well.

My source confirmed that part of that activation fee will go to a publisher and part to Microsoft.

What this means for second-hand games is that Microsoft effectively controls how much they cost, because it controls the activation fee. Whether that fee will move up or down or diminish over time isn't clear. But it does mean second-hand games will probably be more expensive than they are now.

My source didn't know what Sony was up to but doubts the PlayStation maker will do the same thing, not because it's angelic but because it lacks the kind of pricey infrastructure something like this requires.

If this is the case, then not only will you likely have to pay more for used games, but you'll also probably get less for trading them in. It'll be interesting to see what happens if used Xbox 1 and used PS4 games are drastically different in price. Of course, knowing Gamestop, they'll probably just jack up the price of used PS4 games to match.  icon_confused
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #808 on: May 24, 2013, 06:09:27 PM »

Man, these are strange times.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 24, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on May 24, 2013, 06:04:27 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 24, 2013, 04:13:35 PM

If this is the case, then not only will you likely have to pay more for used games, but you'll also probably get less for trading them in. It'll be interesting to see what happens if used Xbox 1 and used PS4 games are drastically different in price. Of course, knowing Gamestop, they'll probably just jack up the price of used PS4 games to match.  icon_confused

I was about to put the same thing but about GAME

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: May 24, 2013, 10:29:07 PM »

I actually like that idea, they can either lower it enough that it works and they get a cut, or they can raise it to effectively shut down used games.   Curious to see how they handle it.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 24, 2013, 11:16:22 PM »

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but one of the most disturbing things about all this is a patent that they've filed that would, in practice, allow them to monitor you (and not only you, but how many people at the same time) via kinect as a way to enforce media licenses. It almost reads as a satire. The idea that they've even thought of doing that is downright scary. The idea that they would charge you is not surprising, but the method on how they'd get there opens up a whole new can of worms in regards to privacy. Hopefully they don't go forward with that.

http://kotaku.com/5958307/this-kinect-patent-is-terrifying-wants-to-charge-you-for-license-violation

From the article:
Basically, when you buy or rent something like a movie, you'll only be granted a "license" for a certain number of people to watch it. If Kinect detects more people in the room than you had a license for, it can stop the movie, and even charge you extra.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:24:02 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 25, 2013, 03:01:38 AM »

While still on the fence right now I'm sure I'll buy one pretty quickly, I just like tech things and the XO is something I'd probably like.  Don't have concerns about used gaming as I don't sell/buy them at all and my living room is setup pretty well for Kinect stuff, I use the 360 and current Kinect to do EA Sports Active workouts and would like to try next gen stuff and see the improvement in camera fidelity.  EA had to turn off Kinect usage for floor exercises due to poor response from the unit, hopefully the newer model will work better.  Prefer MS to Sony for two things, controller feel and friends on XBLA even if I'm rarely on there nowdays.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 25, 2013, 06:34:07 AM »

I am sure kinect will be better,i am sure it will be much more responsive,kinect 1.0 came out 2 and a half years ago now so i am sure Kinect 2.0 will be miles better

with all the upgrades they were showing off it looked like a cool bit of kit

the problem?,it never interested me in the first place and still does not interest me,and that seems to of pissed Microsoft off,and now they are forcing it onto me,i feel like Microsoft is Del Boy who won't take no for an answer and i am one of his customers " I don't want it"

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 25, 2013, 06:45:57 AM »

My current status is that I won't be purchasing one at launch. As long as my 360 and PS3 hold up, I'm unlikely to upgrade until at least the first price drop.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 25, 2013, 06:46:47 AM »

I think that is fair, not everyone has a setup for the kinect, maybe the new one will need less space to work in but who knows.  It works out for me if developers decide the kinect user base is large enough to program for.  The down side is if they implement it poorly.  It does seem strange that they intergrated kinect with the new xbox since it didn't seem all that accepted with the 360.

I'd actually rather have the Occulus Rift for my PC than a XB1 or a X0 or XBone.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 25, 2013, 06:47:44 AM »

well someone is confident

MS dude thinks that next gen consoles combined(i guess thats XB1 and PS4..not sure about Wii U,but what the hell let's throw that in as well),could sell over 1 billion

CVG

360 and PS3 have currently sold 80 million each right?,lets stick Wii sales in there of 100 million(its 99 million at the moment,but what the hell)..so all 3 machines would have to perform 3 or 4 times as ...you know...lets just stop here and take away this guys drugs

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 25, 2013, 06:48:40 AM »

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 25, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 25, 2013, 06:47:44 AM

well someone is confident

MS dude thinks that next gen consoles combined(i guess thats XB1 and PS4..not sure about Wii U,but what the hell let's throw that in as well),could sell over 1 billion

CVG

360 and PS3 have currently sold 80 million each right?,lets stick Wii sales in there of 100 million(its 99 million at the moment,but what the hell)..so all 3 machines would have to perform 3 or 4 times as ...you know...lets just stop here and take away this guys drugs
Michael Pachter works for CVG now?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 25, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »

My plan is to buy a Xbone closer to the end of its life cycle to play the Halo games that will no doubt have released for it. MS seems to be makin g this the kind of console I'm just not interested in owning. With both of my kids now having decent PC's and being more interested in games for that platform, I'm thinking I'll put my money this year towards a better gaming desktop. It's going to be hard to initially forgo those Halo games, but I don't want to throw extra $ on features I don't want.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #820 on: May 25, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »

The Annoyed Gamer really rips the Xbox One a new one in his latest episode. He's got some good points and summarizes most of the things that bothered me about the conference.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: May 26, 2013, 02:21:36 AM »

I've been reading quite a bit about the probable performance difference between the PS4 and the Xbox One. Blogs and forums are estimating the PS4 is anywhere from 40% to 66% more powerful. But I'm wondering if that extra power is even needed. It seems to me that the limiting factor for the next several years will be 1080P HDTV screens. A PC with mid-tier GPU can already run the most tasking games in 1080P with most bells and whistles. I'm currently running Sleeping Dogs with ultra textures, highest congestion levels, and every other bell and whistle, and my Alienware X51 easily maintains 60FPS on my HDTV.

I suppose Sony may have a leg up with 4K content, but the adoption rate of those TVs is several years away.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 26, 2013, 02:28:47 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on May 26, 2013, 02:21:36 AM

I've been reading quite a bit about the probable performance difference between the PS4 and the Xbox One. Blogs and forums are estimating the PS4 is anywhere from 40% to 66% more powerful. But I'm wondering if that extra power is even needed. It seems to me that the limiting factor for the next several years will be 1080P HDTV screens. A PC with mid-tier GPU can already run the most tasking games in 1080P with most bells and whistles. I'm currently running Sleeping Dogs with ultra textures, highest congestion levels, and every other bell and whistle, and my Alienware X51 easily maintains 60FPS on my HDTV.

I suppose Sony may have a leg up with 4K content, but the adoption rate of those TVs is several years away.

When asking the question "is extra power even needed", the answer is always 100% yes.

It's like when someone is asked if they are a god.....
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #823 on: May 26, 2013, 08:23:54 AM »

Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee you that the 1080p resolution isn't going to be a limitation. It won't take long until games are running at 720p because they are so taxing on the hardware that the resolution has to be sacrificed.

Also, I'd take the "50% difference in power between PS4 and Xbox One" statements with a truckload of salt. Yes, from what the two companies have told us the PS4 is indeed the more powerful one, but whether it will make much of a practical difference remains to be seen. We can probably expect more impressive graphics from exclusive titles on the PS4, but the nature of exclusives makes it hard to compare them to the other console. What will be really interesting to see is whether or not there is a difference in frame rate or graphical quality for multiplatform titles. This happened a lot early on with the PS3 and 360, with the PS3 getting the short end of the stick in most (but not all) cases. I got the impression that this minor difference swayed a lot of hardcore gamers from the PS3 to the 360.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #824 on: May 26, 2013, 10:14:29 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 25, 2013, 06:01:56 PM

The Annoyed Gamer really rips the Xbox One a new one in his latest episode. He's got some good points and summarizes most of the things that bothered me about the conference.

I completely agree with the points he made during this. Microsoft is just trying to stick its head in the sand (half way at that) when it comes to quite a few of the 'important' points.

Frankly they need to stop all this rumor mill stuff and clarify things. Right now.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #825 on: May 27, 2013, 04:32:49 AM »

Adding more fuel to the fire! Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One will be region locked, so wave goodbye to those import games.

Meanwhile, neither the PS3 or PS Vita are region locked, and I wouldn't expect the PS4 to be either.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 27, 2013, 07:00:49 AM »

This was posted in another forum I read after a thread about games had drifted to talking about TV shows -
Guys, this thread is for Groupees discussions. If you wanna talk about TV shows, take it to the Xbox One section.

Also, the best dig I've heard about the name - "It's called XBox One because Microsoft took 359 steps backwards" slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 27, 2013, 12:14:07 PM »

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: May 27, 2013, 01:30:43 PM »

Hah! that's awesome. So is the 359 steps backward thing.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #829 on: May 27, 2013, 02:16:23 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 27, 2013, 04:32:49 AM

Adding more fuel to the fire! Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One will be region locked, so wave goodbye to those import games.

Meanwhile, neither the PS3 or PS Vita are region locked, and I wouldn't expect the PS4 to be either.

Dude, hyperbola?

What they SAID, and what was interpreted, are two different things.

from the original article:

As the details of the Xbox One continue to trickle out following the May 21, 2013 unveiling and the subsequent deluge of facts (some real, some not), we have one more piece of information to confirm about the console: the Xbox One will still feature regional locks.

“Similar to the movie and music industry, games must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale,” A rep from Microsoft confirmed to Digital Trends. “We will continue to work with our partners to follow these guidelines with Xbox One.”

Wait, what? Work with our partners. As in : Rockstar's GTA (USA release, full blood and sex) release is banned in Germany, so the dev/pubs can elect to lock that game from that region, and only have the ones where green blood and playing with kittens is allowed.

Not : ALL games sold in USA only work in the USA by default (or Europe, or Japan, etc). That's not to say that they COULDN'T do that, or won't - but that isn't at all what MS has said.

TL;DR?
Simply put, region locks will exist. To what extent has not been shared - and the Torches and Happiness! is quick to anger. There is nothing expressed that forbids importing ANY games.

... and Sony`s silence is not an indication that they disagree with MS`s direction BTW. They`ll let MS take all the bad press regardless.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:22:59 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #830 on: May 27, 2013, 02:45:05 PM »

What, you think that little quote is all that was said? By all means, the article might be wrong, but the impression I get is that Microsoft gave them a clear answer, and that the part of the conversation that was quoted was the one where they explained their reasons for the region lock.

I think the one clutching at straws here is you. The hyperbole, if that is what it is, is entirely justified.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #831 on: May 27, 2013, 03:14:26 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 24, 2013, 03:54:28 PM

Quote from: Purge on May 24, 2013, 02:47:44 PM

Cloud DRM? Explain how what their (assumed) DRM strategy has anything to do with cloud computing, or how you feel their DRM differs from today's XBLA and full download titles.

Uh, they already talked about this during their conference, and afterwards in interviews. Utilizing the cloud is an optional part of creating Xbox One games that Microsoft "hopes developers will use". Any game that uses this will instantly be protected by their DRM schemes by the very nature of being in the cloud. Of course, the entire Xbox One is wrapped in layers of DRM already (as is expected on a console), but they've taken it many steps further. This is the argument they'll use to argue why you should be always online ("otherwise your games that use the cloud wouldn't work. We're just protecting you here, honest!"). How this differs from XBLA and full download titles should be obvious. Those are downloaded from the cloud, and then they're done. Xbox One games that use the cloud, use it all the time. You can't go offline, so you'll have no chance of playing these games without buying the entire thing, no matter what you do. And what if the servers go down? Can you imagine what would have happened if the Sony server crash hadn't just affected the ability to use PSN, but the ability to play your own singleplayer games on your own PS3? If you think Microsoft is immune to this kind of thing, think again. A reliance on the cloud for Xbox One games will make them one of the most attractive hacker targets in the world. The victims will be the customers, no matter what. There's no gain here, only loss.

First:  Cloud computing : The practice of using a network of remote servers hosted on the Internet to store, manage, and process data, rather than a local server...

So, offloading work to an array of remote resources to better accomplish the task.

If MS is tossing around the term Cloud DRM, it`s silly. It`s DRM, period, and has been in place for years - and the more common method of rights management is Authorization. You log in, it checks your account and your licenses. From a network perspective, this has existed long before today. Authorization and Authentication practices predate Windows NT 3.5.1. NTFS does it for files on your hard drive. Look it up.

This is why I questioned the term Cloud DRM. If you mean Live DRM, sure. You`re going out to the Xbox authentication and authorization servers. This is not offloaded computing, this is a handshake and validation. It does it today.

As to the bolded sections, here we go:
optional part: Let`s get the different models out of the way.

First and foremost, optional is key. If a game comes out which is an online-only game (lets say the next World Of Warcraft, for instance), it`s reliance on the persistent Internet connection, regardless.

Let`s say you get FIFA14 (announced as one of the lineup games for EA during the MS conference), the game doesn`t require a persistent connection. Phil Harrison`s shitstorm interview answered this question - the game license isn`t checked consistently - the XO will occasionally validate the licenses when it A) hits a point in its internal cycle where it needs to check (as alluded to that `i dunno 24 hours maybe` comment) and B) access to the Internet to do so (based on the other part - `no it doesn`t need a constant internet connection` comment).

But, neither of those games are what he`s talking about. Look at a game like Galactic Reign. No, seriously, look it up.

The game allows the users to place their strategic players in place, and when the turn is executed, what happens is those elements (basically a data packet containing the details of which forces are in play) are sent to a cloud-based server farm, which then calculates all the randomized shit, all the combat elements and the outcome, and then sends back the results INCLUDING the renders of the battle.

Those renders are brought to life on something as limited as a single-core smartphone. Because of the connected nature of that cloud-based processing, you`d need to already be validated on your connection.

In effect, a cloud-based-DRM is effectively an online-only game - and you`d know that going into that software purchase. This is not a feature or function forced on developers, but instead allows (much like sony`s streaming games) a powerful backend network and its devices to support the gamer, and in the case of Cloud computing  allows a game to leverage processing outside the eventual hardware limitations. Whether that works out that way is based on developer interest, not based on Internet whining (whinging for you UK folks).

many steps: There are no steps in their DRM that are many steps from where they are today. The single step their taking is including at-the-till purchases in their XBLA license agreement. For better or worse, everything else is the same. The whole re-sell idea is them providing an avenue for you to be able to resell your games. Don't tell me Steam doesn't have this issue - there are B&M purchases I've made which force me to register on Steam, which then invalidates my store purchase from resale.

downloaded from the cloud : No. Downloaded from Live. Quit using cloud to mean the Internet-based servers.

without buying the entire thing : What half-measures are there in a game purchase? F2P, Demo, or purchase. None of these scenarios are interrupted by Cloud-based-games. It doesn't mean every game is going to be cloud-based - just like not every PS3 game required install. This is up to developers to decide what resources they want to leverage.

If Live goes down, I can't get signed in. I *can* however, access games on my console as when I purchased them from Live I got 2 licenses - a hardware license (my console has rights) and a Live account license (my Live account). If I had my save game on my "cloud" storage, then it doesn't matter - I'd have to start over (although I believe there is a sync function that may keep content locally - I'll have to look into that).

If I want to play an MMO when my Internet / their service is down, well duh. The only part that should chafe you is whether companies making games decide to make their game online-only JUST to take advantage of the DRM aspects - and that isn't something Microsoft is deciding for them.

A reliance on the cloud: Once again, local license exists so your sometimes online gaming will still work. And, unlike Sony, this is MSFT's bread and butter (network computing). I'm not saying shit can't happen, but fact is, they've been at it for years in defending their networks and servers. I'd trust them over Sony for that part at least.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #832 on: May 27, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 27, 2013, 02:45:05 PM

What, you think that little quote is all that was said? By all means, the article might be wrong, but the impression I get is that Microsoft gave them a clear answer, and that the part of the conversation that was quoted was the one where they explained their reasons for the region lock.

I think the one clutching at straws here is you. The hyperbole, if that is what it is, is entirely justified.

Your impressions are tainted with distain, and while I've not yet decided my product of choice, you clearly have.
I'm in the leaning X1, with a toe in the wait-n-see camp, though the product line for MS is certainly trying to bring something new to gaming (aka multitasking, a matured Kinect that works in conjunction with controllers rather than replacing it, etc). There is a ton of stuff I'm waiting to see, so it's too early to tell. Did MS cock up their presentation? Yes. Have they EVER, EVER done a great presentation? Ummm.... No. Tongue

The whole DRM argument falls apart when you look at what is in place, and has been for years. It's a rage topic, and I'm kind of done with discussing it with you. It's almost like you're baiting, though I suspect you wouldn't see it that way.

You say things like "wave goodbye to those import games." and "I wouldn't expect the PS4 to [restrict imports] either".

The first statement is a matter-of-fact, and begs the question. No, that isn't what was said - you're twisting things in an XBox One thread discussion, and singing the praises for your trust in Sony not locking things down. Ok. The article you posted was worth commenting on, but your conclusions are drawn from a line that does not say the things you think they say, nor do they do anything to bolster confidence that Sony isn't going to do the exact same thing.

Read it again. Go ahead. Go read your entire message, and then maintain your impartiality that you spoke about a few scant weeks earlier.

I'm going to get to see this stuff in action in a few weeks, and I'm pretty damn excited to see both consoles.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #833 on: May 27, 2013, 04:28:42 PM »

I played Demon Souls on the PS3 from the USA because it was a year wait before it was out in the UK. Cant do that with similar 360 games. Dont see why that will change in teh next generation regardless.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 27, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 27, 2013, 03:34:36 PM

I'm going to get to see this stuff in action in a few weeks, and I'm pretty damn excited to see both consoles.

just remember to try and avoid stuffing them down your pants this time slywink

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: May 27, 2013, 10:50:40 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 27, 2013, 01:30:43 PM

Hah! that's awesome. So is the 359 steps backward thing.

There are a lot more of those here.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:53:18 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #836 on: May 28, 2013, 03:45:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 27, 2013, 07:57:42 PM

Quote from: Purge on May 27, 2013, 03:34:36 PM

just remember to try and avoid stuffing them down your pants this time slywink

... or bring bigger pants. slywink

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 28, 2013, 04:08:51 PM »

best news up to now coming from MS concerning the Xbox One

Kinect can be turned off

The state of confusion around the new Xbox One console is such that we're delighted to bring you the news that Microsoft's next console has a power button. What's more: its watchful new Kinect sensor that must be plugged in for the console to run can be turned off.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 28, 2013, 04:41:12 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 28, 2013, 04:08:51 PM

Kinect can be turned off

The state of confusion around the new Xbox One console is such that we're delighted to bring you the news that Microsoft's next console has a power button. What's more: its watchful new Kinect sensor that must be plugged in for the console to run can be turned off.

It's more like "it can be turned off, but unless you go out of your way to walk over to the physical switch every time you want it on or off, it will indeed be listening and watching you 24/7 as we intended it to be used."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 28, 2013, 04:43:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 28, 2013, 04:41:12 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 28, 2013, 04:08:51 PM

Kinect can be turned off

It's more like "it can be turned off, but unless you go out of your way to walk over to the physical switch every time you want it on or off, it will indeed be listening and watching you 24/7 as we intended it to be used."

saywhat

just how much of a journey is it for you?....is everything a forest of red stand by lights in your home?,LOL

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: