http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 10:00:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 57084 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: May 23, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 23, 2013, 05:02:08 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 23, 2013, 09:50:30 AM

xb1 will not support current gen gaming headsets

I have Turtle Beach X11 headsets and i love them,i would imagine it will be a few months before TB come out with anything new for the XB1

and this from the front page

I like the idea of the AA batteries; when they die you just pop in new ones (or another rechargeable battery pack) and keep going without having to worry about needing to attach a cord.

Or i could just have a wired controller and never have to piss about with any of that ever again,like now with the 360

the charge packs lasted for 3 months with me and then refused to charge(oh the red light came on,but only for a few seconds until it went green.no way was it charged),as said i had to keep buying new ones,AA batteries would die quickly..wasted so much money on buying a pack of those every month

Take note,i played on my 360 a lot

Especially when i was on Final Fantasy 11,AA Batteries would just fly in and out of the controller

I wonder if the TB headsets will work if you have them plugged into your TV instead of the console...

on the back of my TV i have red and White and separately a red,white,yellow,green and blue...i plug my composite cables from my 360 into the R/W/Y/G/B...the TB red and white cables go into the separate R and W

this way i can hear everything from my TV no matter which HDMi/Component i switch to..i could have my PS3 on(HDMi 3),and hear everything(good for Netflix late at night)or have my Sky on(HDMi 1) or have the 360 on(Component)

However if i want to chat with my headset i have to move the red and white TB leads from the separate TV red and white sockets to piggy back on the 360 composite R+W leads..and also get the little wire out that goes from the controller to the Domino on your headset wire

so i am confident that my TB will work on my TV to get sound out if i had the Xbox 1..but when i want to hear and listen online,my guess is they have something different going on

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: May 23, 2013, 08:27:02 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 23, 2013, 08:21:23 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 23, 2013, 09:50:30 AM

xb1 will not support current gen gaming headsets

I have Turtle Beach X11 headsets and i love them,i would imagine it will be a few months before TB come out with anything new for the XB1

and this from the front page

I like the idea of the AA batteries; when they die you just pop in new ones (or another rechargeable battery pack) and keep going without having to worry about needing to attach a cord.

Or i could just have a wired controller and never have to piss about with any of that ever again,like now with the 360

but you can't get good distance when you throw a wired controller smile

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:11 PM »

What's the big deal with indie games?  Pretty much any indie game worth playing is also out on PC.  Don't most people here play PC games?

The only advantage I can think of for the PS4 is that it's Japanese and it might get some exclusive JRPGs that I must have (Persona 5?)  But then again, we don't know yet.  One of the best JRPGs recently was a fucking Wii exclusive.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 23, 2013, 08:54:57 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 23, 2013, 08:45:11 PM

What's the big deal with indie games?  Pretty much any indie game worth playing is also out on PC.  Don't most people here play PC games?

The only advantage I can think of for the PS4 is that it's Japanese and it might get some exclusive JRPGs that I must have (Persona 5?)  But then again, we don't know yet.  One of the best JRPGs recently was a fucking Wii exclusive.

I think the bigger issue for indies is on the MS platform is the certification process and the expense of it.  Also, if they have issues with the game and need to patch, i believe there's a big fee they have to pay to get it pushed and most can't afford it...
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 23, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 23, 2013, 08:54:57 PM

I think the bigger issue for indies is on the MS platform is the certification process and the expense of it.  Also, if they have issues with the game and need to patch, i believe there's a big fee they have to pay to get it pushed and most can't afford it...

I think he was asking why people here are getting wound up about which console supports indie games since most indie games worth playing are on PC and we all have those.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: May 23, 2013, 09:32:48 PM »

What's the big deal with indie games?  Pretty much any indie game worth playing is also out on PC.  Don't most people here play PC games?

So are most AAA games too.

There's been a few console exclusive indies, or console timed exclusive games though.  Braid, Limbo, Fez, Mark of the Ninja, Journey, Flower, Guacamelee etc
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:37:45 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 23, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 23, 2013, 09:14:31 PM

I think he was asking why people here are getting wound up about which console supports indie games since most indie games worth playing are on PC and we all have those.

Yeah...I was referring back to the original claim that indies are dumping xbox support...and gave a reason i've heard as to why...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 23, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »

I have said it before,and i'll say it again...clusterfuck

some more confusion regarding used games
360a.org

as we heard a few pages back
"We can confirm that the article stating Xbox One will charge fees to play used games is NOT correct," Xbox Support tweeted on the day of the reveal.

"We are months away from the launch of Xbox One and policy decisions are still being finalized," Major Nelson told Gematsu. "When they are, we will let you know."

Major Nelson went on to add the following: "As I noted earlier we're still working on some of the policies... But our goal is that it would work like it works today on Xbox 360."
saywhat
Microsoft's Phil Harrison has failed to shed much light on the subject too, stating that game discs will still work like Xbox 360 titles, but with an Xbox One game locked to a single account after installation. Nothing like an Xbox 360 disc then.

360a.org says it best
It's all as clear as mud.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 23, 2013, 09:48:43 PM »

One of the best JRPGs recently was a fucking Wii exclusive.

Xenoblade?  Last Story?  c'mon man, you can't say something like that without clarifying what game it was so the rest of us can run out and buy it!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 23, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 23, 2013, 09:48:43 PM

One of the best JRPGs recently was a fucking Wii exclusive.

Xenoblade?  Last Story?  c'mon man, you can't say something like that without clarifying what game it was so the rest of us can run out and buy it!

if it beats Lost Odyssey on the 360 then i will rebuy a Wii just for this game..I always wondered what Last Story was like(being Mistwalker who did Lost Odyssey)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 23, 2013, 10:06:14 PM »

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 23, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »

whoah......

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 23, 2013, 10:58:13 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 23, 2013, 07:31:52 PM

Right now I see a lot of comments leaning towards "PS4 [cuz I know what they're offering]". No, no you don't. You know you can share, you know they're working with indie developers to allow them to self-publish.

That, effectively, is all you know. So IMO ATB is right - go ahead and get upset about things said, but don't think that just because Sony hasn't revealed their stuff yet that it's going to be any better than what MS has been willing to say.

As far as specifics go, we don't know a lot about either system.  However, Sony has made it clear that they are putting gaming first with the PS4, while MS has made it clear that they're putting TV/music/etc. first.  I don't think it's surprising that gamers are siding with Sony now.

Perhaps you thought MS's presentation was for you - and that would be missing their point.

Their presentation was aimed at non-gamers, and that's exactly the problem.  They weren't watching.  It's the gaming crowd that watches live-streams of console reveals, not people looking for new ways to watch TV.  The vast majority of the people who watched the presentation or even knew it was happening were looking for games, and they didn't get them.  If MS was expecting anything other than the poor reception they got, then they're clueless.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #773 on: May 23, 2013, 11:09:12 PM »

When it comes to press releases, MS *is* clueless. IMO, they should have planned a 2 hour presentation, covering both aspects, and it should have been more ... organic?
Overall it wasn't terrible, but if you look at it with gamer-glasses on, there wasn't much to see - there were some cool hints (I commented on some of them during our liveblog).

The natural use of kinect to enhance controller based games - such as the comment where they mention an example of raising the controller to raise a shield - speculatively I think this would translate well to position such as stand, crouch, prone or even selecting how you approach a half-wall when you're at a full run. Push your controller down to slide behind it for cover, or raise it up to vault it.

Consider the racing aspects as well. The PS4's eye camera seems to be behind that particular curve, but we'll just have to see. MAN am I looking forward to E3. biggrin biggrin

By and far it was Phil's interview that flung the biggest turds into the press fan and ignited gamer disappointment in the presentation to an all-out lynch mob.  They did warn us ahead of time that game details are slated for E3 - they should have muzzled him (in their own best interest).

MO - Hyrb is inferring the license model, not the DVD model.

IE: When you currently buy a game from the XBLA marketplace, you're buying two licenses -

1) Hardware license. This allows anyone on your console that holds this license to play the game.
2) Live profile license. This allows your account to sign in and play the game from any console.

Hope that clears it up - the disc infers license based on possession - and since the new BD discs are install-only (BD discs aren't fast enough to keep up - hence why bigger PS3 games required install in the current gen) this cannot be what he meant.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:17:10 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: May 23, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 23, 2013, 10:58:13 PM

As far as specifics go, we don't know a lot about either system.  However, Sony has made it clear that they are putting gaming first with the PS4, while MS has made it clear that they're putting TV/music/etc. first.  I don't think it's surprising that gamers are siding with Sony now.

Their presentation was aimed at non-gamers, and that's exactly the problem.  They weren't watching.  It's the gaming crowd that watches live-streams of console reveals, not people looking for new ways to watch TV.  The vast majority of the people who watched the presentation or even knew it was happening were looking for games, and they didn't get them.  If MS was expecting anything other than the poor reception they got, then they're clueless.

Comment on the emphasis above:
Based on what was announced as a hardware reveal only, people have assumed they're not about games. 15 new exclusive games in one year? That's more than the 360 has seen in the past three, combined (IIRC). Not a bad thing IMO - I think when they left the TV and sports section they should NOT have revisited it a second time. That pushed a serious imbalance, and that's the inference that people pick up on.

Re: the non-gaming world - WSJ, Forbes, etc were watching. Problem is, they're not talking here, and are more likely to react to our reactions - look at the Sony stock situation.

Frankly, neither presentation will matter one lick.

360 overcame dramatic h/w failure rates.
PS3 overcame the largest outage and security breach on any console network.

By the end of E3, both will be neck and neck. I don't expect all answers to be there by the end of E3 either - they've got time to polish things up.

One question I had (I hadn't noticed a decent specs comparison) : does the GPU on the X1 have dedicated RAM or is it shared like it is on the PS4?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 23, 2013, 11:27:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 23, 2013, 10:06:14 PM

This has been my favorite so far.

Quote from: CeeKay on May 23, 2013, 10:08:00 PM

whoah......

Though I don't like to say his name (it makes him appear), this may have made TiLT's head explode, so we may be safe.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: May 23, 2013, 11:53:18 PM »

Both systems have a common memory pool, just like the 360. They're not going to make that mistake again.

The Wii wasn't as successful in the long run for Nintendo. Apparently, their game attach rates were hideous so they didn't get anywhere near the expected profit from having so many systems out. Then they've already thrown away all the money they got from the system sales by the time the WiiU came out.

The 3DS is what's keeping them afloat.

There's a danger in trying to appeal to a market that does not play games, and they have to find a way to monetize going these normal things with the console, which means more subscriptions. Only problem is, people are already paying subscription fees for those better TV channels.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:56:25 PM by Turtle » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 24, 2013, 12:51:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 23, 2013, 10:06:14 PM

I loved this guy when Mass Effect 3 ending did the rounds

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #778 on: May 24, 2013, 07:58:13 AM »

Quote from: Purge on May 23, 2013, 08:16:05 PM

It's funny - he's echoing what I just said about courting the developers. Developers hate used games market, because others profit from their work. I can't see PS4 going in that direction.

This bit is at odds with how it is and even should be.

You make something i mean anything you dont expect to sell it to a consumer more than once. You can buy pretty much anything and sell it on later, i mean anything except it seems computer games now. They seem to think they are an exception to the market place and its all the consumers fault.

Just go to any market, car boot sale and second hand store to see the choice. I mean in the UK charity shops are full to brimming with second hand items and there are thousands of these shops. But not when it comes to computer games, oh no its not fair. To add in the uk charity shops are vat exempt and all there items aregiven free so margains are great. It is part of the market place.

At some point we as consumers need to stand up and be counted and maybe this could be the time. I mean the EU is taking on valve in Germany and while it is slow going this could be step 1 to allowing us to sell our digital licences once we have finished with them.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: May 24, 2013, 08:57:41 AM »

The thing that makes the comparison with traditional second-hand markets problematic is that there's not really a "used" vs "new" distinction for video games. They are all ones and zeroes, and they never deteriorate. The drawback to buying used products is that they aren't quite at the same level of standards as a new one. Not so for games. It doesn't matter if someone has played a game constantly for a year. It'll still be just the same as if it was brand new. They are also products that don't last very long for each customer. You can be completely done with a game in days and then send it off to another player without any negative effects for either. That's what makes this whole thing so damned complex. There has to be a drawback to buying used, or the entire market risks collapsing (which is what the current market is at the brink of doing).
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #780 on: May 24, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 24, 2013, 08:57:41 AM

The thing that makes the comparison with traditional second-hand markets problematic is that there's not really a "used" vs "new" distinction for video games. They are all ones and zeroes, and they never deteriorate. The drawback to buying used products is that they aren't quite at the same level of standards as a new one. Not so for games. It doesn't matter if someone has played a game constantly for a year. It'll still be just the same as if it was brand new. They are also products that don't last very long for each customer. You can be completely done with a game in days and then send it off to another player without any negative effects for either. That's what makes this whole thing so damned complex. There has to be a drawback to buying used, or the entire market risks collapsing (which is what the current market is at the brink of doing).

Thats not always 100% correct though. Many a book, cd or dvd have i bought that you would never know its second hand.

To add those second hand discs for games and cases i suppose they degrade so when picking them up in shop they are worth less.

Lol i have argued both sides of the point and come out with the same conclusion, second hand doesnt necessarily mean a poor quality item or that you even could tell and also even if parts of it are poorer quality it doesn't the affect the item being sold. Eg a books story doesnt change because the cover is bent.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #781 on: May 24, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »

As to the market collapsing and blaming the second hand games market for this as a retailer for 20 years i understand their complaint but dont really feel its the consumers problem.

Cost to make and sale price is their issue and something they really need to get a handle on. You cannot continue to spend 100's of million of dollars and stuff when the market place isnt there. You cut your cloth accordingly not blame your customer.

The reality is there is too much poor quality stuff out there and the price to make an item cannot guarantee a return on that. Every game on the console seems to come out at say 40 regardless of the quality of it which is just another thing the market place wont support in the long term.

In my opinion a large number of people fund their next sale by selling on their previous games and stopping this could have a detrimental affect on the market place unless prices are adjusted downwards yet costs are out of control and spiralling which makes this unlikely. These things cant live side by side and something somewhere needs to change and it feels like blaming the customer by removing their rights of a sell on or charging them is the first port of call and is probably not the right one.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:58:05 AM by Reemul » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 24, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 24, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »

this is interesting from Eurogamer

developers have their say

each have more to say in the link,below is a taster of each

Nick Baynes, studio head at BigBit and former Split/Second game director
"The rest of the interface features look slick, and useful, but ironically the kind of blockbuster games that Xbox is going to be all about would be the ones I'd least like to play with a Skype conversation and browser window snapped onto the edge of the screen at the same time, pulling me out of the experience."

Stewart Gilray, boss of Oddworld developer Just Add Water
"Microsoft is attempting to be the one device in the living room, but at the same time as doing that you have to have a secondary device, like a TiVo, to HDMI into the Xbox One to be able to use the TV side of it, which to me defeats the entire purpose," he said. "It's very confusing."

Adrian Chmielarz, formerly of Bulletstorm developer People Can Fly
"I don't want to talk to my TV, I don't want to wave my hands in front of my TV, and I don't want to Skype with a friend when I'm engaged in a game,"

"That's not to say that Kinect 2.0 is useless (I'm curious about that heartbeat thing, for one), but for now I don't see it as anything too exciting.

Nathan Fouts of Mommy's Best Games
"I think the most unusual and off-putting part of the entire announcement was the disassociation of games from the rest of the console, relegating the bulk of games talk to E3,"

"You could take this a few ways. One, games are such a big, important part of this console, that they need their own announcement. W00t! Games and stuff! Yeah! Or two, here's a video game console announcement that leads with talk of controlling your TV and watching sports, and games will be dealt with later, as they are only a small portion of bigger ambitions.

Nick Davies, co-founder of Jacob Jones creator Lucid Games and formerly senior producer at Bizarre Creations
Both Sony and Microsoft have been clear that this is the start of the reveal. You're going to see things today. You're going to see things at E3. I guess they just chose that day to focus on what their key highlights of the box are. They've always said the games were going to come at E3. So I'm holding judgement until we see games and we see more exclusives. It was just the starting point."

Brad Muir, senior designer at Double Fine
"Microsoft's Xbox One press conference felt like it was targeted at a really wide audience, which makes sense considering the way they're positioning the hardware as the only-set-top-box-you'll-ever-need,"

"I'm more interested in their plans for gaming but I really want to give them the benefit of the doubt and see what they bring to E3."

its a long article and also mentions Digital Foundry,goes on about Indie developers,and more people have their say in the link

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 24, 2013, 11:20:36 AM »

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 24, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »

Quote from: Purge on May 23, 2013, 11:25:00 PM

By the end of E3, both will be neck and neck.

That's a very optimistic prediction. So what you're saying is that Sony is going to fall on its face (entirely possible) and MS is going to come out and have a complete do over and change almost their entire first impressions (entirely not possible).
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 24, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »

More rumours about the used game thing,they sound ridiculous
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-24-this-is-how-xbox-one-game-trade-ins-will-work-apparently
If you want to trade in an Xbox One game you will need to find a shop that has agreed to Microsoft's terms and is therefore connected to the Xbox One cloud.

The game will be registered as traded in and will be wiped from your Xbox Live account. The shop can resell it for whatever price it likes but the game's publisher now takes a cut and so does Microsoft, a source-based MCV report revealed.

Anyone buying that second-hand game will need to pay an activation fee of 35, a separate unconfirmed report on ConsoleDeals.co.uk claimed.

as said New Games cost 39.99

The same report [did not say a shop's cut from that second-hand sale could be as low as 10 per cent -Bertie] said shops could be forced to sell second-hand games at a maximum discount of 10 per cent.

Combine that measly 10 per cent discount and the 35 activation fee and you have figures that add up to not much sense at all for the shopper.

Yesterday on Major Nelson's site,someone said new retail games would be $79.99,not sure where he has heard that from,but i hope its bollocks...or perhaps he meant Australian Dollars(which i think is what they are priced at anyway)

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 24, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 24, 2013, 11:19:23 AM

Every generation there is an outcry about no BC.  And it never really results in any issues because no one REALLY wants BC. They just want to complain about not having it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 24, 2013, 12:40:19 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 24, 2013, 12:26:00 PM

Every generation there is an outcry about no BC.  And it never really results in any issues because no one REALLY wants BC. They just want to complain about not having it.

yet both 360 and PS3 went out of their way to provide it

PS3 with launch and later digital only and 360 at launch and digitally

I use PS1 and 2 games more than PS3 games on my PS3..something i hope to remedy when FF14 is out

I do use Xbox 1 games on my 360,i would use more if it worked properly(example:GTA:SA performs terribly on the 360 and Fable made weird noises)

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 24, 2013, 12:43:31 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 24, 2013, 12:40:19 PM

Didn't last long on the PS3 models

And I bet the percentage of people who actually play old games on new hardware is not worth the investment to Sony or MS.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 24, 2013, 12:48:01 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 24, 2013, 12:43:31 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 24, 2013, 12:40:19 PM

Didn't last long on the PS3 models

did for me,because i bought the launch machine Tongue

I honestly can't say whether you are right about the percentage of players playing old games on new hardware though

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 24, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »

I played a fair number of original Xbox games on my launch 360 during the first year, but that was mostly because the flow of quality new games wasn't up to speed yet. I also didn't have the time or money to play the original Xbox, so I was interested in experiencing the previous generation. There are so many new games hitting the market at this point that I never feel that I need (or have the time) to go back and play stuff that was released 8+ years ago.

This time around, I already have a 360 and PS3 on which I've been able to play most of the games that have interested me, and I'll still have them for the early next gen when new releases might be slim. For those reasons, I just don't see backward compatibility as a significant concern in my gaming future.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 24, 2013, 01:44:30 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 24, 2013, 12:26:00 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 24, 2013, 11:19:23 AM

Every generation there is an outcry about no BC.  And it never really results in any issues because no one REALLY wants BC. They just want to complain about not having it...

...is how people who don't have an issue with no BC always sum up the issue for people who do have an issue.

This argument drives me nuts.  I do want BC.  I do use BC. All the time.  I was playing PS2 games on my BC PS3 up until the day it died.  Just this week I've played 3 Wii games on my Wii U.  The only one I'm not doing recently are Xbox games on my 360, and that's because their BC was shoddy at best (and I was able to finish the few games that did transfer).

Don't project your opinions onto me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #793 on: May 24, 2013, 02:08:46 PM »

BC is important, as it effectively boosts the usefulness of the device regardless if the larger marketshare actually uses it.

Consider this: a game costs $60. By bringing the old into the new, it means that if you play 2 games, you've effectively leveraged $120 of software onto that new console.

The thing that has me worried is my XBLA content - while the architecture is different and there is no easy "plunk" here you go, a lot of those arcade titles should run sufficiently well in an emulated state. Moreover, a lot of the games I'd care to play have now been available on Steam - so brokering a deal with the devs to release X86 code to gamers who have pre-existing XBLA licenses for their software would sure make me a happy camper (this would also apply to the PS4 as much as the X1). I'd love to have the ability to play Castle Crashers on my X1 without having to say "Xbox, turn on my old Xbox 360".

As to the neck-and-neck comment - MS has announced fifteen exclusive titles. Not timed exclusives, but fifteen titles bound for X1 in the first year. We had, what, Forza Horizon last year? Yeah. That's a big step up - both competitors have a significant market share around the globe.

We know what we know, and we don't know what we don't know. There are major presentations coming up targeted squarely at us. They have 6 months to get everything right before they truly bid on the marketplace. Remember when the PS3 launched, and everyone was trying to sell those at a premium? Then the Wii happened, and Nintendo's console (thankfully, their business model didn't include taking a loss at retail) couldn't be found - even with a name associated with urinating or worse.

As for Skype during a game, etc ... there are times I'm talking to someone while I'd rather be gaming. the snap-to and fast-switching to other apps works well in my life, just as PS4's play-while-you-download and streaming modes would appeal to me. I can also see people using bing searches for hints during games, whereas PS4 people will get other friends to simply get them past that tough spot for them. Tongue

What I find intriguing is the X1's ability to push heavy computation up into the cloud - this may turn out to be a fantastic thing. They used this sort of thing for Galactic Reign - and watching relevant combat sequences rendered well on my phone is pretty cool. Whether or not it's the best way to do things, I could see this function overcoming the reality of hardware limitations later in a consoles life-cycle.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:17:46 PM by Purge » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #794 on: May 24, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 24, 2013, 02:08:46 PM

What I find intriguing is the X1's ability to push heavy computation up into the cloud

The software developer in me tells me that this is total bullshit. Sure, their cloud service probably supports it, but the benefits gained from doing so are going to get absolutely destroyed by the bandwidth required to transfer the variables and results. You should take this claim from Microsoft about as seriously as the one from EA when they said that SimCity offloaded plenty of calculations to their online services. About the only thing I can imagine that would benefit from something like this would be AI, but with the new architecture of the next generation I can't imagine anyone implementing AI powerful enough to need anything beyond what the console itself offers.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that Microsoft is using this argument as a way to justify their cloud DRM. It's just empty talk meant to make it easier for us to swallow their bitter pill. Don't listen to it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #795 on: May 24, 2013, 02:47:44 PM »

Cloud DRM? Explain how what their (assumed) DRM strategy has anything to do with cloud computing, or how you feel their DRM differs from today's XBLA and full download titles.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:49:39 PM by Purge » Logged

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 24, 2013, 03:00:51 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 23, 2013, 09:14:31 PM

Indie games on a console are a big deal for me.   My kids play indie games on my 360 so that I can keep them off my damn lawn err... I mean my computer.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 24, 2013, 03:04:11 PM »

Backwards compatibility is not important to me.

The ability to purchase games used and play is them of UTMOST importance to me.     M$ can kiss my ass on this used game thing.

Edit to clarify:   I don't go get butt raped by gamestop for my used games.   I buy them off ebay for genuinely reduced prices.    M$ is cutting ebay and friends selling games to each other completely out of the scenario for a pure money grap.    I didn't RENT your damn game Microsoft.   I BOUGHT it.    What the hell I do with it afterwards (sell it, whatever) is my damned business.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:05:48 PM by msduncan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 24, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »

I heard to play used games you need to sacrifice a Mexican...

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 24, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 24, 2013, 02:47:44 PM

Cloud DRM? Explain how what their (assumed) DRM strategy has anything to do with cloud computing, or how you feel their DRM differs from today's XBLA and full download titles.

maybe they've decided they own cloud.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: