http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 04:33:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 73495 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: May 22, 2013, 02:44:16 PM »

I'm in Canada. Want me to preorder for you? slywink

It's funny, back in the Where-Can-I-Find-A-Wii-days (&360) I shipped 6 units out to either GT'ers or friends who wanted one and couldn't find any.

It sounds like Europe is going to get screwed by the PS4 launch (no commitment to a 2013 launch).

Microsoft, on the other hand, could just simply ship all their consoles to everywhere BUT Japan and do almost as well as they would if they shipped consoles there. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #641 on: May 22, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2013, 02:44:16 PM

It sounds like Europe is going to get screwed by the PS4 launch (no commitment to a 2013 launch).

Actually, recent comments from Sony indicate that they are willing to go to great lengths to make the PS4 widely available in Europe at the same time as the US launch, and that they are perfectly willing to delay the Japanese launch to do so. It's sounding like we'll get it at the same time. smile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 22, 2013, 02:59:39 PM »

I'd like to know more about this HDD install requirement.

As it is, my 360 HDD is pretty full (I get a lot of games), and I rarely install them.

I imagine this requirement will limit how many games I can own.

However, it may turn out that with all the cloud whozits and the playing while installing giggitygoo, the games get deleted on rotation (FIFO or whatever) and reinstalled as you need them.  Depending on how instantaneous the play of a new game is, this might not be an issue in the long run.

As I say, I'm curious.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #643 on: May 22, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 22, 2013, 02:55:59 PM

Actually, recent comments from Sony indicate that they are willing to go to great lengths to make the PS4 widely available in Europe at the same time as the US launch, and that they are perfectly willing to delay the Japanese launch to do so. It's sounding like we'll get it at the same time. smile

That's awesome news! I don't think that's a front they can stand to leave idle for months. thumbsup

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: May 22, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 22, 2013, 02:59:39 PM

As it is, my 360 HDD is pretty full (I get a lot of games), and I rarely install them.

However, it may turn out that with all the cloud whozits and the playing while installing giggitygoo, the games get deleted on rotation (FIFO or whatever) and reinstalled as you need them.  Depending on how instantaneous the play of a new game is, this might not be an issue in the long run.

As I say, I'm curious.

Then there's the question of USB3.0 - it'd be quick enough to install games to - and perhaps that is part-and-parcel with design.

I think that question ain't gonna be addressed by MS until later - perhaps even after E3. I know that my 250GB drive, where I install games on a frequent basis still has 60GB free at the moment. Since the XO drive is 500GB, clearly it won't be an SSD, and I doubt they're going to add DVR functionality beyond the "achievement cam". Too bad, really. It'd be nice to take a smaller, faster drive and upgrade the console.

Wait, why do I want a console over PC again? slywink Oh, right. Sitting on a couch. biggrin

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #645 on: May 22, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2013, 03:00:46 PM

Quote from: TiLT on May 22, 2013, 02:55:59 PM

That's awesome news! I don't think that's a front they can stand to leave idle for months. thumbsup

Yeah, you have no idea how tired I am of being treated as a second-rate customer in the games industry just because I'm not in America. This move is just one of many things Sony has done with the PS4 to convince me that they truly care about this new generation and about me as a customer. Microsoft's presentation only made me realize I'm not the Xbox One's target audience.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 22, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2013, 03:04:56 PM

Wait, why do I want a console over PC again? slywink Oh, right. Sitting on a couch. biggrin

Steam Big Picture Mode, Purge. Purge, Steam Big Picture Mode. Enjoy.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 22, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »

Did they mention sound capability?

Will it still be 'only' 5.1? or will there be 7.1 or greater support?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: May 22, 2013, 03:27:20 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 22, 2013, 03:24:49 PM

Both the Xbox One and PS4 will support 7.1.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 22, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 22, 2013, 03:27:20 PM

Ooh la la.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 22, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 22, 2013, 04:13:25 AM

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2013, 04:05:16 AM

Quote from: Teggy on May 22, 2013, 03:17:26 AM

People understand how DLC and digital downloads work. Have you ever loaned a friend your DLC or your copy of Minecraft 360?  How is mentioning that even relevant?
... and when have you bought an "Install only" PC game, which chances are has a license key, and then lend it to a friend?

Install is install. The game discs are no longer a standalone product that simply proves ownership based on possession. So yeah ... Steam is the same bloody thing, except when you're done with a game, there is no way to recoup money and pass the game license on. IIRC, PS4 has yet to confirm that used games will play on the PS4. If there is something newer, then I missed it - there was a comment made earlier, but then rescinded by Sony.

I think maybe some people watched a different PS4 reveal - from some of the creepy comments re: Kinect integration, the Sony Eye may or may not also be required - Sony hasn't revealed that information yet - but it also does face recognition, etc.

The Sony PS4 reveal was unimpressive (to me, at least) and since PS3 sales (at the onset) were significantly boosted because it was the most affordable BD player at the time, I'm not understanding the backlash WRT MS going after the multimedia aspect of a product line that has always been targeting the entire entertainment experience. Yeah, more games. I get that - but from a user perspective, the interface and the benefits seem well thought out.

Conversely, their presentation was lukewarm at best, but that doesn't say anything of the product itself. I think their next task is to funnel all questions through a clear, simple and consistent message. They need to stay away from anything that smells of smoke and mirrors.

When I sign in on Steam at my friend's house I can play after the install - it doesn't require me to pay twice.  It should be tied to my account and only allow one instance at a time. 

Isn't that what the xbox1 is doing as well.  YOu can bring your game to a friends house, sign in as you and play the game.  What am I missing?  I haven't had the chance to read everything since I was out in the field yesterday and dealing with a sick 3 year old (yay extra breathing treatments).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 22, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 22, 2013, 12:36:32 PM

Quote from: Dante Rising on May 22, 2013, 11:56:56 AM

The nearly flawless integration of the wireless Xbox 360 controller on the vast majority of PC games has significantly reduced my use of the Xbox 360, and it will probably kill most of my initial graphics 'wow' factor that most people will get from the initial jump to the new consoles.
...(and other stuff)

+1 and all that.

just make sure to stock up on wireless 360 controllers, cause we all saw how long the xbox lasted after the 360 came out.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 22, 2013, 03:57:34 PM »

Quote from: naednek on May 22, 2013, 03:46:21 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 22, 2013, 04:13:25 AM

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2013, 04:05:16 AM

Quote from: Teggy on May 22, 2013, 03:17:26 AM

People understand how DLC and digital downloads work. Have you ever loaned a friend your DLC or your copy of Minecraft 360?  How is mentioning that even relevant?
... and when have you bought an "Install only" PC game, which chances are has a license key, and then lend it to a friend?

Install is install. The game discs are no longer a standalone product that simply proves ownership based on possession. So yeah ... Steam is the same bloody thing, except when you're done with a game, there is no way to recoup money and pass the game license on. IIRC, PS4 has yet to confirm that used games will play on the PS4. If there is something newer, then I missed it - there was a comment made earlier, but then rescinded by Sony.

I think maybe some people watched a different PS4 reveal - from some of the creepy comments re: Kinect integration, the Sony Eye may or may not also be required - Sony hasn't revealed that information yet - but it also does face recognition, etc.

The Sony PS4 reveal was unimpressive (to me, at least) and since PS3 sales (at the onset) were significantly boosted because it was the most affordable BD player at the time, I'm not understanding the backlash WRT MS going after the multimedia aspect of a product line that has always been targeting the entire entertainment experience. Yeah, more games. I get that - but from a user perspective, the interface and the benefits seem well thought out.

Conversely, their presentation was lukewarm at best, but that doesn't say anything of the product itself. I think their next task is to funnel all questions through a clear, simple and consistent message. They need to stay away from anything that smells of smoke and mirrors.

When I sign in on Steam at my friend's house I can play after the install - it doesn't require me to pay twice.  It should be tied to my account and only allow one instance at a time. 

Isn't that what the xbox1 is doing as well.  YOu can bring your game to a friends house, sign in as you and play the game.  What am I missing?  I haven't had the chance to read everything since I was out in the field yesterday and dealing with a sick 3 year old (yay extra breathing treatments).

yeah, for some reason what you said keeps on getting said but no one seems to want to hear it, so I'm wondering what I'm missing too.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 22, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 22, 2013, 03:29:42 PM

Quote from: TiLT on May 22, 2013, 03:27:20 PM

Ooh la la.

bah, call me when it's 12.5.33 biggrin

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 22, 2013, 04:03:13 PM »

However, it may turn out that with all the cloud whozits and the playing while installing giggitygoo, the games get deleted on rotation (FIFO or whatever) and reinstalled as you need them.  Depending on how instantaneous the play of a new game is, this might not be an issue in the long run.

As I say, I'm curious.

how big of an HDD do you currently have?  I got 250 gig and it's rarely half full, but I don't save many saves anymore.

It'll probably be like a PC, where you can install and uninstall the games as you wish.  since they say you can start playing before it is finished installing I doubt swapping stuff out is going to be an issue.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 22, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 22, 2013, 03:24:17 PM

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2013, 03:04:56 PM

Steam Big Picture Mode, Purge. Purge, Steam Big Picture Mode. Enjoy.

don't sully PC games with your newfangled 'con-troll-erz'.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 22, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 22, 2013, 01:35:57 PM

I did read the whole article - As you can see, its an UPDATE, meaning it wasn't there when I posted.

dammit Raz, start using your psychic powers BEFORE you post.

slywink

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 22, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 22, 2013, 02:39:19 PM

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2013, 02:38:06 PM

Perhaps the US site is different than here in Canada. I spoke with my local EB/GS folks, and they had a SKU that I could preorder for PS4.

Hmm..  It's worth swinging by my local Gamestop to ask the question anyway....   

it's surprising that they'd have that and Amazon wouldn't have anything (I even ventured to Amazon.ca and after careful translation found they don't have anything yet either).  maybe GS got a special deal.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 22, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2013, 01:46:02 PM

Here's a better pic with labels:

nice to see they're making sure there is plenty of ventilation slywink

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 22, 2013, 04:15:55 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on May 22, 2013, 07:41:28 AM

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2013, 04:36:42 AM

Not all games on Steam are cheap, and not all games have mods, nor do they all have "control choices" or "customizable graphics". Trust me, I know. I have 288 games at the moment

I'm guessing you have 288 STEAM games because you like many others have taken advantage of all the great sales. Which don't exist to nearly the same degree on consoles.

heck, I probably got 288 Steam games that I paid full price for so I could play them on day one before Green Man Gaming came around and started doing great pre-order deals.  however, some companies (EA, Ubisoft and 2K) aren't letting them discount stuff like that in the US, so it's becoming harder to get a decent deal on an new release for some big games if you want them day one.

Even Amazon has become hit or miss with deals on pre-ordering new PC games.  lately the $20 Amazon credit has become $20 Amazon Instant video credit.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: May 22, 2013, 04:19:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 22, 2013, 04:11:13 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

You should've seen the early prototype...

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #661 on: May 22, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »

They're called "Fire-holes". Also, the Xbox One comes with it's own designer towel. It has a red ring design, and the words "Floating Chips FTW" embroidered on it. :lol:

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 22, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2013, 04:32:14 PM

They're called "Fire-holes". Also, the Xbox One comes with it's own designer towel. It has a red ring design, and the words "Floating Chips FTW" embroidered on it. :lol:

icon_lol

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 22, 2013, 05:28:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 22, 2013, 04:03:13 PM

However, it may turn out that with all the cloud whozits and the playing while installing giggitygoo, the games get deleted on rotation (FIFO or whatever) and reinstalled as you need them.  Depending on how instantaneous the play of a new game is, this might not be an issue in the long run.

As I say, I'm curious.

how big of an HDD do you currently have?  I got 250 gig and it's rarely half full, but I don't save many saves anymore.

It'll probably be like a PC, where you can install and uninstall the games as you wish.  since they say you can start playing before it is finished installing I doubt swapping stuff out is going to be an issue.

320 gb. I have 20 gb left.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #664 on: May 22, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse: Indie Devs Can't Self-Publish on Xbox One
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: May 22, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »

Also, IGN made a neat summary of some of the more vague parts of the console. It's filled with bad news.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 22, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 22, 2013, 05:47:38 PM

Also, IGN made a neat summary of some of the more vague parts of the console. It's filled with bad news.

icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 22, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 22, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #669 on: May 22, 2013, 06:02:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 22, 2013, 05:55:56 PM

Heh, that was the big "jumping the shark" moment for me during the presentation. Some guy proudly explaining how the power of the Xbox One was so great that they could now have fishes with AI that lets them swim away when you get close.

Wow.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #670 on: May 22, 2013, 06:09:14 PM »

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse: Indie Devs Can't Self-Publish on Xbox One
  yep, and thus was born the new Xbox one nickname in the developer community.  We now refer to it as the Xbone.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 22, 2013, 06:54:05 PM »

This is great. I just love how they focused so much attention on features that can't be used outside the U.S. Just like that, they pretty much established that they don't care for the international market. MS has shown that they have had trouble understanding the international market in the past as they've done the same mistake with the Zune, ie no access to the store if not in the U.S. For a product like a console that has international appeal, that spells doom. I don't see how any good can come out of that.

So, thanks Microsoft, for thinking of the people outside your borders. You've been really great.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #672 on: May 22, 2013, 07:39:43 PM »

Wait, what? So the TV listings function isn't immediately available outside the US. You care about the trending that much? (I'd be in the same boat, being in Canada).

You can still (it seems) pipe in video input and switch between - you just might not be able to get it to change to the channel / show you want by referring to the very Media Center-esque TV listings. We don't know how it works yet - no info on IR controls, and what can and cannot be configured to turn your Smartglass/Kinect/Controller into a full home theater control.

Colour me confused.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 22, 2013, 08:15:54 PM »

We still don't really know anything and people are falling apart.  This reminds me of NMA in it's infancy
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: May 22, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 22, 2013, 08:15:54 PM

This reminds me of NMA in it's infancy

Then your memory must be pretty selective, because the problems people are having with yesterday's press conference are nowhere near the orbit of the planet on which NMA lives. But hey, I'm sure you can find a lot of articles supporting yesterday's press conference and calling it a great success, reinforcing that our complaining is just a small niche of the market, right? Right?

Out of all the 6 or 7 different press sites where I've been reading about this conference, there's not been a single one of them that thinks it was good. "Disappointed" is the word that goes around, both among journalists and among commenters. If you think they are overreacting, then you're certainly not among the vocal part of the customer base.

NMA is a niche of old gamers stuck in the past and unable to separate their nostalgia from reality. I have a hard time seeing the comparison.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: May 22, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »

We still don't really know anything and people are falling apart. 

Ayup.  You'd think people hadn't been through a new console runup and release before.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #676 on: May 22, 2013, 08:33:48 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 22, 2013, 08:30:25 PM

Ayup.  You'd think people hadn't been through a new console runup and release before.

Then explain how the PS4 conference hasn't gone through the same kind of shit that Microsoft has been going through both before and after their conference.

At some point people have to realize the difference between "unfair circumstances" and "incompetence". Luckily, in this case most people seem to realize it's the latter.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 22, 2013, 09:25:45 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2013, 07:39:43 PM

Wait, what? So the TV listings function isn't immediately available outside the US.

Yeah, there was something in this thread that was confirming that, an image from twitter, I think. And it's not the trending, but the whole general functionality of features not being accessible outside the U.S. My Tablet for instance has the capability of controlling the TV, but because I'm in Canada, there's no access to the feature. Thankfully, that wasn't a selling point for me, but for others who've read online before making a decision to buy the same tablet and finding the feature doesn't work here would likely be pissed if they bought it for that feature. Remember, in the broadcast, Comcast was mentioned. The guide likely gets its info from Comcast, and if you're outside the U.S, you'll not get that info unless the cable company you're with supports it. So, in general, I'd hope that the console would be cheaper in the markets where this whole functionality is not available. In general, it's always been this way with any similar features with different products. I don't see this as being any different. This is why most people in international markets are a little peeved off.

Btw, I'm referring to this:

Quote from: Maggot on May 21, 2013, 07:24:30 PM

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:18:33 PM by Rumpy » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 22, 2013, 09:30:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 22, 2013, 08:30:25 PM

it's been awhile, people are rusty.  plus Sony really hasn't had their cocks sucked for a while, so they're due icon_twisted

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 22, 2013, 09:32:47 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 22, 2013, 08:33:48 PM

Then explain how the PS4 conference hasn't gone through the same kind of shit that Microsoft has been going through both before and after their conference.

Because people pay more attention to the prince than they do to the pauper?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: