http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 08:36:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 56497 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: May 21, 2013, 08:31:51 PM »

I kinda like the look.  definitely looks more sturdy than the current Kinect.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 21, 2013, 08:33:37 PM »

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 21, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »

aha, here's the bit about the Kinect being required.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: May 21, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 21, 2013, 08:34:09 PM

I disconnect mine because my Kinect thinks I'm talking to it all the time.  Seriously, it's the most nosy device in my home.  Talking to my wife while playing turns into fits of frustration with the Kinect. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 21, 2013, 08:39:47 PM »

Has Microsoft given out specs on how many times we'll have to return our Xbox Ones before getting one that works longer than 6 months?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 21, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 21, 2013, 08:19:11 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 08:06:35 PM

So there is some info from Wired (I'd have to locate it) that there is some way to deactivate the game on the original system so the new person doesn't have to pay. We'll have to wait for details.

when buying a used game,i wonder how many people would've deactivated the game first before they sold it off

There was some talk about the person doing the installing deciding whether to deactivate or pay - so you could give to a friend for a low price or sell it off expecting that you will not be able to play it again. No idea, definitely need more info. MS is doing themselves no service by making it a mystery right now.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 21, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 21, 2013, 08:39:47 PM

Has Microsoft given out specs on how many times we'll have to return our Xbox Ones before getting one that works longer than 6 months?

you just have to be nice to the Fates.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: May 21, 2013, 08:49:01 PM »

Move is built-in to the PS4, the Wii Waggle Controls are in the Wii and WiiU. Kinect hardware is required, and has it's own hardware inside the console (per the leaked h/w architecture). The paranoid should be wary - but don't think your PS4 isn't watching either.

From a "TV is HARD" perspective - I'd love to never, ever have to change my receiver and TV inputs again. Also, steady sound would be nice. My DVR doesn't do that well. I'm OK with running it through the XO. I like the idea of being able to plonk myself into a game lobby and wait for ideal situation (eg: waiting for a friend who had to run to the store, etc) and be able to watch TV or media that I have available without having to bounce between inputs and miss out.

As to the name Xbox One isn't any dumber than its contemporaries. Wii, New iPad, WiiU, Playstation 4 (good to see they can count - apparently their console is evolutionary rather than revolutionary). It's a name, it's going to be there, and the console is clearly aimed at being a One stop media center. You know, all-in-one? It's not good, it's not bad. It simply is.

Rather than trashing the presentation, which was clearly aimed at showing what new elements they're bringing to the platform rather than pandering to gamers interests in new IP, they've pushed it off 19 days to (one of) the biggest gaming expos.

If that boosts Sony stock for a couple of weeks, I'm sure that isn't going to sink MS. Right now we've got some info, and the details aren't all laid out for us.

From a license perspective, it seems that:

a) games can be played while installing (same as PS4)
b) the license for the install is tied to your login (Steam does this, Origin does this, PSN and XBLA already do this).
c) if you install it on someone else's console (key being the info specifies "someone else") there is a fee to pay.

They maintain that they have a used game sales strategy - we don't know what that is yet. Given they have established chains of distribution, it wouldn't surprise me that when a game is traded in, that authorized places can revoke the license of the game and have a new key provided to the retailer to sell so the person buying it doesn't see this "fee" when they try to install it.

Remember, you've not bought a game in quite some time - decades, in fact. You have a license agreement with the maker of the software, and if you are compensated for the sale of the product, you have no further rights to use it.

But hey, this is the Internet. Froth on.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: May 21, 2013, 08:50:42 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 21, 2013, 08:38:36 PM

I disconnect mine because my Kinect thinks I'm talking to it all the time.  Seriously, it's the most nosy device in my home.  Talking to my wife while playing turns into fits of frustration with the Kinect. 

Stop calling her Xbox... duh! slywink

Mine sometimes reads movements that aren't happening - the fidelity of the old Kinect would certainly concern me, though seeing the smooth movements onstage makes me hope that isn't just smoke and mirrors with someone using a controller and some well-rehearsed actions.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: May 21, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »

I disconnect mine because my Kinect thinks I'm talking to it all the time.  Seriously, it's the most nosy device in my home.  Talking to my wife while playing turns into fits of frustration with the Kinect.  

I was watching the reveal of the Xbox One over at my brother's place earlier today. Kinect thought THREE TIMES that we told it to stop playing the video.

Piece of crap. Damn does it need a 'lock mode' where it ignores everything that's being said short of a specific command sentence or something.

Also, I've been saying this for months now, but the WiiU is absolutely and utterly dead. Period. There's no life left in it whatsoever.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:53:42 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 21, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 21, 2013, 08:51:14 PM

I was watching the reveal of the Xbox One over at my brother's place earlier today. Kinect thought THREE TIMES that we told it to stop playing the video.

Piece of crap. Damn does it need a 'lock mode' where it ignores everything that's being said short of a specific command sentence or something.

about the only issues I've had with it are when the dogs decide to start wagging their tails wildly while sitting on the couch.  of course I use headphones while using the 360, so I do avoid cross chatter from various sources.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: May 21, 2013, 08:55:22 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 08:39:57 PM

MS is doing themselves no service by making it a mystery right now.

I totally agree.

I suspect they're enjoying the fact that they are some of the biggest news right now, and will alleviate concerns with the disclosure. They couldn't say ANYTHING right now without people jumping all over them.

I'm now looking at my 360 and realizing it's going to be around for a while; at least until I can finish up my backlogs, and even then I'll likely have it so my son can continue to play Minecraft on it.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 21, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 21, 2013, 08:49:01 PM

Sorry, who's frothing and about what?

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 21, 2013, 08:58:40 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 21, 2013, 08:55:22 PM

MS is doing themselves no service by making it a mystery right now.

I totally agree.

I suspect they're enjoying the fact that they are some of the biggest news right now, and will alleviate concerns with the disclosure. They couldn't say ANYTHING right now without people jumping all over them.

I'm now looking at my 360 and realizing it's going to be around for a while; at least until I can finish up my backlogs, and even then I'll likely have it so my son can continue to play Minecraft on it.

Dont worry - Minecraft will be available on both the Ps4 and the Xbox one I'm pretty sure.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 21, 2013, 08:59:06 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 21, 2013, 08:51:14 PM

Also, I've been saying this for months now, but the WiiU is absolutely and utterly dead. Period. There's no life left in it whatsoever.

I wonder how long before Nintendo either: a) throws in the towel or b) comes out with a new console.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 21, 2013, 08:59:41 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 08:57:50 PM

Sorry, who's frothing and about what?

my beer was frothing.  poured it into the glass....... poorly biggrin

Because I can,
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 21, 2013, 09:00:04 PM »

Ok, so I haven't read this entire thread so apologies if this all has been said already.

I was left really not impressed with the whole conference.

First off, does this thing play games? You would be hard pressed to figure that out if you watched only the first 15-20 minutes of the conference. It was all about watching the Price Is Right and being able to go on Internet Explorer while watching TV (insert fake/MS employee applause here). Newsflash, I can do that already Microsoft, it's called an iPad.

Secondly, what the heck are they thinking with the name and design??? Xbox One?? Why? The design is just horrid. It's a huge black box. Looks like some old late 80's/early 90's cable box or VCR. The Kinect looks like Johnny 5 was beheaded and thrown on top my TV.  *cries*  Now, the PS4 hasn't been shown publicly yet, so that might also look horrendous, but my god man.

Add to all that, the no used games and no back compat..... frown

The controller though, I like it. It's a great upgrade from the current controller, without being radically changed.

I got the Xbox 360 right away last time, in fact I had it a week early. I won that contest they had going with Pepsi or whatever where they were giving one away every 15 min...but I also had it preordered at Gamestop and would have picked it on launch day anyway. This "One" though....I am really thinking I will pass on it until at least the first price drop....which really pains me, since I get all consoles at launch, at least until now.

I will get the PS4, as I was mightily impressed by their press event and love the whole Playstation Plus thing.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 21, 2013, 09:01:22 PM »

when i had Kinect and i was watching a video(BBC iPlayer was the worse for it)the pop ups like progress bar would appear when i reached for my drink,i hated it

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 21, 2013, 09:03:55 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 21, 2013, 09:01:22 PM

when i had Kinect and i was watching a video(BBC iPlayer was the worse for it)the pop ups like progress bar would appear when i reached for my drink,i hated it

biggrin

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 21, 2013, 09:07:49 PM »

Hetz picking PS4 over XO? I would never have guessed slywink

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 21, 2013, 09:11:30 PM »

It seems like MS is confused about who their customers are.  Putting their business partners before their customers may not work out well for them.    

Edit: Hell I don't even know if I'm supposed to be a customer.  I don't need help watching and organizing my TV efforts.  I want a console to play next gen games. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:14:16 PM by Roguetad » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 21, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »

As to the name Xbox One isn't any dumber than its contemporaries. Wii, New iPad, WiiU, Playstation 4 (good to see they can count - apparently their console is evolutionary rather than revolutionary). It's a name, it's going to be there, and the console is clearly aimed at being a One stop media center. You know, all-in-one? It's not good, it's not bad. It simply is.

I get what they're going for, but I still think it's a really bad name.  The original XBox is already referred to as the XBox One, and while I doubt anyone will confuse the two, it still makes the machine sound like a step backward.  I doubt the name will have much of an effect on anything, but we've seen with the Wii U that names can matter.

b) the license for the install is tied to your login (Steam does this, Origin does this, PSN and XBLA already do this).
Yes, Steam does this, but I can also buy lots of Steam games for less than $1.  MS is getting better with sales on downloadable games, but they're going to have to do better if they want me to forget about used games.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 21, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 21, 2013, 09:11:54 PM

I get what they're going for, but I still think it's a really bad name.  The original XBox is already referred to as the XBox One, and while I doubt anyone will confuse the two, it still makes the machine sound like a step backward.  I doubt the name will have much of an effect on anything, but we've seen with the Wii U that names can matter.

Especially since they didn't call it the "XBOX 2" for the specific reason that it would be "one less" than the Playstation 3. So odd.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 21, 2013, 09:16:28 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 09:07:49 PM

Shocking, I know!  icon_smile

Seriously though, even hardcore Xbox fans have got to be a little upset with the new console. It just seems like Microsoft wants to be all things to all people....but will end up doing nothing well. The whole three operating systems thing, sounds like a complete disaster waiting to happen as well....given their track record with operating systems.

I am sure I will get one at some point....but I am just not psyched for it the way I was for the Xbox 360 or even the original Xbox.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: May 21, 2013, 09:20:53 PM »

So here is where I'm angry - Rock Band.   I and others on this forum have a plethora of Rock Band songs that we'd love to continue to play, but that's just not gonna happen without running two systems.  Similarly, anything you have on XBLA is now trash.  Those are purely digital - there is no reason they couldn't be ported.  Hell, give me an option to pay a fee to move it and I'm happy....but no.  Instead, locked out completely. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 21, 2013, 09:23:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 21, 2013, 08:19:11 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 08:06:35 PM

So there is some info from Wired (I'd have to locate it) that there is some way to deactivate the game on the original system so the new person doesn't have to pay. We'll have to wait for details.

when buying a used game,i wonder how many people would've deactivated the game first before they sold it off

There was some talk about the person doing the installing deciding whether to deactivate or pay - so you could give to a friend for a low price or sell it off expecting that you will not be able to play it again. No idea, definitely need more info. MS is doing themselves no service by making it a mystery right now.

This is all really confusing. They need to come out now and say how it will work and how much it will cost....or else people will just jump to the worst case scenario. They need to get ahead of this story.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 21, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on May 21, 2013, 09:16:28 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 09:07:49 PM

Shocking, I know!  icon_smile

Seriously though, even hardcore Xbox fans have got to be a little upset with the new console. It just seems like Microsoft wants to be all things to all people....but will end up doing nothing well. The whole three operating systems thing, sounds like a complete disaster waiting to happen as well....given their track record with operating systems.

I am sure I will get one at some point....but I am just not psyched for it the way I was for the Xbox 360 or even the original Xbox.

yeah i can not argue with you Hetz,I am massively displeased with today's presentation,i was expecting little info on games because of E3(and they said that would be the way),but apart from no disc tray there is very little i like about what we learned about the Xbox One

1000 friends?,pfft i only have 70-80 anyway,so i didn't even use up all the 100...1000 seems overkill for me

I hope we don;t have to scroll through 1000 of these on the dash

Infact not much was said about your avatar,and they didn't show it on the dash either

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 21, 2013, 09:29:11 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 21, 2013, 09:20:53 PM

So here is where I'm angry - Rock Band.   I and others on this forum have a plethora of Rock Band songs that we'd love to continue to play, but that's just not gonna happen without running two systems.  Similarly, anything you have on XBLA is now trash.  Those are purely digital - there is no reason they couldn't be ported.  Hell, give me an option to pay a fee to move it and I'm happy....but no.  Instead, locked out completely. 

Oh god....I know. I have to keep my Xbox 360 now, just for the Rock Band stuff alone. I have way too much invested in that to just throw it all away, digitally. frown

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 21, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »

I wonder how much of an impact this will have on sales figures for games coming out via XBLA over the coming months.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 21, 2013, 09:31:10 PM »

EG again

Our man on the ground Tom Bramwell was able to speak to corporate vice president of Microsoft Phil Harrison about this hot-button issue and was able to confirm that a second user can install a game from a friend's disc for a fee, though it's unclear how much this will be. Harrison also confirmed that several users sharing a console can access the same game at no additional charge, and Microsoft has "a solution" for the resale market, though it's staying mum on those for now.

well at least that part is cleared up

There is an interview on the subject in that link with Phil Harrison

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: May 21, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »

Yeah, and this Xbox One isn't revolutionary. It's really the same evolutionary step that the PS4 is doing.

Also, this TV functionality? These days, with consoles being so much like PCs, it's easy enough to patch in this functionality via firmware updates to the OS. If Sony doesn't have it day 1, and it ends up being a selling point, then it will be in the system within a year. Then again, there's still Netflix, and all those other services which will have their counterparts. And most modern TVs, devices, and PCs themselves will muscle in on this territory.

But, MS does have another event planned tomorrow, right? Or did they move it to E3?

Consoles are all about the games. Sony showed more games, more exclusives. There should be a backlash, there should be frothing here based on what was shown. After all, if there wasn't, do you really think they would have backed off the always online?

Anyone have an underside pic to the new Xbox controller? Is the Xbox button gone or just moved up top and replaced with a flatter button?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 21, 2013, 09:34:57 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 21, 2013, 09:31:10 PM

EG again

Our man on the ground Tom Bramwell was able to speak to corporate vice president of Microsoft Phil Harrison about this hot-button issue and was able to confirm that a second user can install a game from a friend's disc for a fee, though it's unclear how much this will be. Harrison also confirmed that several users sharing a console can access the same game at no additional charge, and Microsoft has "a solution" for the resale market, though it's staying mum on those for now.

Well, that's good to know! Thanks for posting that.

I still really want to know what the "fee" is for installing a friends disc or used game/rental, since all games have to be installed. I assume it will be $5-$10 less than the full retail price of the game....since you are getting the full game by installing it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 21, 2013, 09:37:35 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 21, 2013, 09:31:20 PM

Anyone have an underside pic to the new Xbox controller? Is the Xbox button gone or just moved up top and replaced with a flatter button?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 21, 2013, 09:38:40 PM »

the 360's vs the One's controllers side by side.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 21, 2013, 09:39:25 PM »

Those are purely digital - there is no reason they couldn't be ported.  Hell, give me an option to pay a fee to move it and I'm happy....but no.  Instead, locked out completely.  

A disc ripped to the HD is digital too. Has nothing to do with the bits and everything to do with the engine they run on, which apparently can't be emulated on the XO.

However, Harmonix would be crazy not to port Rock Band and the songs to XO. Well unless there is no way to get the instruments working, in which case I guess they would be crazy to port it.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 21, 2013, 09:41:31 PM »

Seriously though, even hardcore Xbox fans have got to be a little upset with the new console.

There is nothing to be upset about.  Nothing is 100% locked down.  If anyone is upset because of a kickoff press conference, then they're loony.

It's way too soon to tell which system is going to be better.

My biggest disappointment: the way it looks.  Just so bland.  What happened to the panache of the XB1...er XBOX...the first one...and the 360?

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 21, 2013, 09:43:57 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on May 21, 2013, 09:34:57 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 21, 2013, 09:31:10 PM

EG again

Well, that's good to know! Thanks for posting that.

I still really want to know what the "fee" is for installing a friends disc or used game/rental, since all games have to be installed. I assume it will be $5-$10 less than the full retail price of the game....since you are getting the full game by installing it.

Hm...what if they have contracted with Gamestop to get special codes to unlock used games? So Gamestop gets their cut for selling the game and the developer or MS gets their cut. And then if you don't shop at Gamestop you have to pay the full original purchase price to unlock.

See, we can make up all sorts of stuff if they don't just, you know, tell us.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 21, 2013, 09:44:54 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 21, 2013, 09:41:31 PM

Seriously though, even hardcore Xbox fans have got to be a little upset with the new console.

There is nothing to be upset about.  Nothing is 100% locked down.  If anyone is upset because of a kickoff press conference, then they're loony.

It's way too soon to tell which system is going to be better.

My biggest disappointment: the way it looks.  Just so bland.  What happened to the panache of the XB1...er XBOX...the first one...and the 360?

Oh stop it, your biggest disappointment was no Gears 4 reveal.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 21, 2013, 09:51:37 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 21, 2013, 07:52:14 PM

I'm betting $499
 Getting both next-gen systems anyway, already saved enough for launch day

hope you saved enough for both of us!  ninja
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 21, 2013, 09:56:53 PM »

okay,now i don't know what is going on
https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/336936354913071104

Xbox Support 2 ‏@XboxSupport2 1h
@brandonorselli It was a rumor that emerged after the conference ended. We can confirm the fee is not true smile ^

Christ so even though i have just quoted Phil Harrison saying there will be a fee and now there's this,as you all say MS need to quickly come out and nail this shit down

Quote from: Harkonis on May 21, 2013, 09:51:37 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 21, 2013, 07:52:14 PM

I'm betting $499
 Getting both next-gen systems anyway, already saved enough for launch day

hope you saved enough for both of us!  ninja

yeah they are predicting 400 for UK,I am not falling for that price range(360 was 280 on launch,PS3 was 425)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: