http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 09:33:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 81865 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 21, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 21, 2013, 06:03:27 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 21, 2013, 06:02:44 PM

If there's one thing I felt previous CoD games were lacking, it's detailed arm hair.

I hope it's customizable.

Just like the Kinect 1 promos showed how you can hold up your skateboard and scan the art into the game, the Kinect One will let you hold up your forearm and get your arm hair into CoD.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 21, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 06:05:20 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 21, 2013, 05:58:44 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 05:57:45 PM

So for exclusives we see Forza 4 (which we really knew was coming anyway) and a new Remedy game. 360 was definitely my platform this gen, but I have to say I'm much more excited for PS4 right now.

but fishes get out of your way when swimming in COD saywhat Roll Eyes

They'll do that on PS3 and PC too (and Wii U?).

I am pretty sure i have seen games do it on the 360

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 21, 2013, 06:07:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 21, 2013, 06:01:15 PM

So for exclusives we see Forza 5 (which we really knew was coming anyway) and a new Remedy game. 360 was definitely my platform this gen, but I have to say I'm much more excited for PS4 right now.

for me they're 1 up from PS4 exclusives-  Forza 5 and Quantum Break vs InfaMouS.  bring on E3 for the death match!

Yeah, yeah, Forza 5. You don't care about Killzone, Knack, Gran Turismo 5, etc?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 21, 2013, 06:08:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 21, 2013, 06:06:05 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 21, 2013, 06:03:27 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 21, 2013, 06:02:44 PM

If there's one thing I felt previous CoD games were lacking, it's detailed arm hair.

I hope it's customizable.

Just like the Kinect 1 promos showed how you can hold up your skateboard and scan the art into the game, the Kinect One will let you hold up your forearm and get your arm hair into CoD.

I'd like to see it take on my beast-like arm hair. They'll need another OS.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: May 21, 2013, 06:08:55 PM »

They just confirmed to the Verge that it's not BC with 360.  not surprised myself

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4350662/new-xbox-has-no-backwards-compatibilty

"The system is based on a different core architecture, so back-compat doesn't really work from that perspective."

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 21, 2013, 06:11:59 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 06:07:23 PM

So for exclusives we see Forza 5 (which we really knew was coming anyway) and a new Remedy game. 360 was definitely my platform this gen, but I have to say I'm much more excited for PS4 right now.

for me they're 1 up from PS4 exclusives-  Forza 5 and Quantum Break vs InfaMouS.  bring on E3 for the death match!

not really.  tried GT before and I probably played more of the Forza demos than I did the full GT game.  never got into the Killzone series, not really a big fan of first person shooters on the console anymore anyways; Knack is a platformer, and those don't last long with me.

[edit] of course if Quantum Break turns out to be a FPS (hoping not based on their previous games) then it will be off the list.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:14:34 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 21, 2013, 06:20:51 PM »

damn, I wonder if the event crashed IGN.  just tried to go to their comics section and it appears the whole site is 'leveling up'.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 21, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »

I just realised they didn't say anything about always on or used games,then again they didn't say anything about 360 games B/C(that was said later)

so are the specs the same as the PS4?...8gig is the only thing i remember seeing  Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 21, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »

<sigh> hopefully that's not overly glossy finish.. hate that stuff, collects too much dust.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 21, 2013, 06:22:44 PM »

Not really sold, but as I stated earlier in the Sony thread I only have room for one console, so I go where most of my friends go (talking about you cannon fodder on this board)

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 21, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid.

Individual games will be tied to Xbox Live accounts, Microsoft said, meaning that the software giant can detect whether a game has been sold to a retailer and repurchased, or handed from one friend to another. In such instances, the second user must pay a fee.

"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play," a Microsoft representative told Wired.

The company added that, once discs are installed on the hard drive, games can be played without a disc being in the tray.

The Wired article then elaborates: "What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner."

It added: "Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."

Microsoft did not disclose what the second-user fee would amount too, and did not clarify further on the matter.

The article claims that there is no sweeping 'always-online' requirement for future Xbox One games.

I think i may very well be out just because of that first line

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 21, 2013, 06:24:41 PM »

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: May 21, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 21, 2013, 06:27:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 21, 2013, 06:24:17 PM

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid.

Individual games will be tied to Xbox Live accounts, Microsoft said, meaning that the software giant can detect whether a game has been sold to a retailer and repurchased, or handed from one friend to another. In such instances, the second user must pay a fee.

"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play," a Microsoft representative told Wired.

The company added that, once discs are installed on the hard drive, games can be played without a disc being in the tray.

The Wired article then elaborates: "What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner."

It added: "Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."

Microsoft did not disclose what the second-user fee would amount too, and did not clarify further on the matter.

The article claims that there is no sweeping 'always-online' requirement for future Xbox One games.

If this is the case and you can pass a disc on to another person to install, I'm guessing that second fee is going to be mighty high.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 21, 2013, 06:28:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 21, 2013, 06:11:59 PM

for me they're 1 up from PS4 exclusives-  Forza 5 and Quantum Break vs InfaMouS.  bring on E3 for the death match!

not really.  tried GT before and I probably played more of the Forza demos than I did the full GT game.  never got into the Killzone series, not really a big fan of first person shooters on the console anymore anyways; Knack is a platformer, and those don't last long with me.

[edit] of course if Quantum Break turns out to be a FPS (hoping not based on their previous games) then it will be off the list.

Sounds like you just don't like games slywink

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 21, 2013, 06:30:40 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on May 21, 2013, 06:27:42 PM

If this is the case and you can pass a disc on to another person to install, I'm guessing that second fee is going to be mighty high.

The other question is, will the game continue to work with the first account?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 21, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »

debating how much that would affect me other than renting from Gamefly.  Local Gamestop is about a 40 minute drive so I just buy new nowadays.  still, if I'm out on the Xbox I'm more likely out for the next gen of consoles altogether since beyond exclusives most stuff comes out for the PC as well.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 21, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »

Wow..What a boring-looking black brick of a console. Over-reliance on sports games? Forza? CoD? No backwards compatibility? More fucking Kinect? No used games?

Well..Looks like the PS4 will be the only console in my future.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 21, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 06:28:43 PM

for me they're 1 up from PS4 exclusives-  Forza 5 and Quantum Break vs InfaMouS.  bring on E3 for the death match!

not really.  tried GT before and I probably played more of the Forza demos than I did the full GT game.  never got into the Killzone series, not really a big fan of first person shooters on the console anymore anyways; Knack is a platformer, and those don't last long with me.

hate them.  you'd never catch me buying a game from Steam, not one!  slywink

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: May 21, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »

Wow, that was surprisingly underwhelming. They actually didn't answer any of the things I was wondering about, such as:

- What is the RAM speed? They seemed to deliberately skirt around the issue, which leads me to believe their RAM is the standard type, ie. not as fast as the PS4, for whatever this will be worth in the end.
- Will it be always on?
- What kind of DRM will it have? Seriously, this question and the always on things were extremely important for Microsoft to answer due to all the rumors, and the lack of acknowledgement of this is just going to fuel the fire whether the rumors are right or wrong.

The first 40 minutes were totally uninteresting. I couldn't care less about Kinect or EA Sports. Both are very focused on American audiences anyway (I'll be getting back to this), with Kinect being finicky at best with non-English languages and EA Sports focusing mostly on America-centric sports (not that I care about sports, but you get my point).

That the entire first 30 minutes of the presentation focused on Kinect and multimedia was a danger sign, and one of the things the pundits had been warning Microsoft not to do. We're gamers. We want games! That I can flap my arms and speak to the Xbox to flip channels doesn't interest me in the slightest, not least because Europeans will get the short end of the stick here anyway. The aforementioned trouble with non-English languages is an important issue, but the rights issues are even more important. Microsoft will not be able to provide the same opportunities to Europeans (or to other nations, for that matter) that they do to Americans due to licensing rights and all manners of restrictions. Hell, they might even have trouble distributing their own content for all we know. This is an area of internet streaming that isn't really working at the moment, and nothing Microsoft said indicated that they had the solutions. Instead they presented their console as if we are all Americans. They risk losing the European market over this, a market they already haven't got the strongest of footholds in. If they can solve these issues they'll have a truly wonderful gadget, but I don't think they will.

The Remedy reveal got my attention though, and this one I'll be paying attention to. Alan Wake was one of my biggest draws to the 360 too. I just hope it's not a shooter. The trailer showed very little of any substance, so we still know absolutely nothing about the game except that it seems to involve some kind of psychic power.

The moment when people broke into applause over time exclusives for Call of Duty made me feel sick. What the fuck? They were applauding that Microsoft restricts our choices as consumers? There's no advantage to us users there, only to the publishers and Microsoft. This was actually the low point of the presentation for me. I don't blame Microsoft, as this was expected anyway. It's the audience I'm disgusted with. Jesus...

Call of Duty isn't really my thing, but it was the part with most substance and relevance to me anyway. It wasn't exactly impressive, but the tech-talk was fun. I'll probably end up skipping it on both consoles, but we'll see. I got tired of CoD 3 years ago. It's not an exclusive anyway, not that it maters.

The Halo TV series sounds like it could be cool if handled right. Steven Spielberg at the helm is a promising sign. I'll be keeping an eye on that.

Now, here's the basic issue with all this: The PS4 will have most of this too (except the exclusive content, obviously), but they recognized that these are expected features in this day and age and thus didn't do much more than briefly mention them in their own presentation, instead focusing on the games. Microsoft spent only a minor part of the presentation talking about the things that should be our topmost interest as gamers: Games. This tells me that they haven't really learned anything.

Maybe the focus on multimedia will be what will win them this generation? Stranger things can happen, but I really don't think it's going to this time. The casual customers won't buy the Xbox One for its multimedia capabilities. It's too complicated for that, even with Kinect (maybe even because of Kinect, ironically). It'll be us geeks and gamers who'll purchase this thing, and most of us will be focusing on games for the new generation. We've already got TV and video. Microsoft wanting to become a competitor to Netflix isn't really all that relevant at this stage. It could be in the future if they succeed, but that's an uphill battle.

I will say this: The Killzone video from Sony's presentation was way more impressive than anything Microsoft just showed off, and that's coming from someone who doesn't even particularly care for shooters any more!

It'll be interesting to watch the media coverage of this event. I suspect the most common word tossed around will be "disappointing". Let's see if I'm wrong.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 21, 2013, 06:33:39 PM »

Wonder if it will be tied to sales price? Like trade a copy of CoD in the first month and the fee will be $60 or trade it in 2 years and it will be $20.

This is a pretty big deal. Basically means trading with others for XBOX One games is going to be a no-go.

EDIT - oh yeah, does this kill Gamefly?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:35:49 PM by Teggy » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 21, 2013, 06:34:52 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 21, 2013, 06:30:40 PM

The other question is, will the game continue to work with the first account?

Well it says "also own" not "now own" so that appears to be implied.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 21, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 06:33:39 PM

Wonder if it will be tied to sales price? Like trade a copy of CoD in the first month and the fee will be $60 or trade it in 2 years and it will be $20.

This is a pretty big deal. Basically means trading with others for XBOX One games is going to be a no-go.

Yup,the bigger deal for me is that the PS4 ISN'T doing this(unless i missed something in their presentation)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 21, 2013, 06:37:11 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 06:33:39 PM

EDIT - oh yeah, does this kill Gamefly?

it may dent them, but there are other consoles plus their PC side.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:38:49 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 21, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 21, 2013, 06:32:01 PM

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 06:28:43 PM

not really.  tried GT before and I probably played more of the Forza demos than I did the full GT game.  never got into the Killzone series, not really a big fan of first person shooters on the console anymore anyways; Knack is a platformer, and those don't last long with me.

hate them.  you'd never catch me buying a game from Steam, not one!  slywink

of course that makes me realize I'm used to buying games and not being able to trade them at all, so it just made the whole issue of pre-owned less important smile  thanks Doctor Teggy!  thumbsup

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: May 21, 2013, 06:44:29 PM »

The question about the fee is, what if you install it with YOUR account on the other console? If I lend the game to a friend who doesn't have my account, they're basically collecting a rental fee.

If I have two consoles, or the game I'm going to play at my friends' house will work there as long as I'm signed in, that ain't a deal-breaker. I'm sure that if Sony HASN'T got something in place similar to this, with MS doing it, they'll do the same.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: May 21, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »

Can we get the topic name changed now? I'm tired of the "Over 80 chars" warning. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 21, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »

I know they didn't announce it, but thoughts on the price? With all the stuff they have (8 Gig RAM, 500 Gig HD, Kinect included, etc), it's got to be at least $400, right?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: May 21, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »

a few odd thoughts.  

if the one-game per account doesn't take into account same system play on different accounts, that would be a deal killer for most.  if the fee for pre-owned is too high then I would expect the original copy should work.  too low for the fee and I would expect original to stop working.  
how they deal with where the fee goes will be interesting.  they could make themselves into gamestop territory.  or they could pay back to the dev.

Live subscription fee?  not mentioned leads me to believe it will be higher or have tiers added in.  

XBLA ports to One?  this would be a huge loss if they don't have some way of bringing them over.  I expect that it won't be an option though given the architecture change.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 21, 2013, 06:49:41 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 21, 2013, 06:44:53 PM

Can we get the topic name changed now? I'm tired of the "Over 80 chars" warning. Tongue

no, we like you getting warnings.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: May 21, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »

I expect MS to "help" key games in transitioning over, or releasing a XO version.

Castle Crashers, Minecraft, and the like.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: May 21, 2013, 06:51:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 21, 2013, 06:49:41 PM

Quote from: Purge on May 21, 2013, 06:44:53 PM

no, we like you getting warnings.

I like Warning. He's just rarely around.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 21, 2013, 06:51:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 21, 2013, 06:40:57 PM

of course that makes me realize I'm used to buying games and not being able to trade them at all, so it just made the whole issue of pre-owned less important smile  thanks Doctor Teggy!  thumbsup

Yeah, but you buy those at Steam prices which is whole different animal than buying for consoles (even new games tend to be $10 less).

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: May 21, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »

Here's a comparison between the specs for the PS4 and Xbox One.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »

I've moved on to playing games almost exclusively on the PC, so if I pull the trigger on the new Xbox it will be for the multimedia capabilities. Five years ago, I never would have anticipated saying that.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 21, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 21, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »

New controller looks good, everything else ranged from meh to shit really. Showed barely any games and focused on it being a cable box with voice recognition? Not very exciting microsoft. Also funny how they didn't want to say anything much about their ram or cpu... Mandatory install and paying a fee for used games is hilarious too.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 21, 2013, 06:55:19 PM »

XBLA games confirmed to NOT be transferable.

This is getting ugly.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 21, 2013, 06:59:08 PM »

Giving this more thought I just donít know how much I like MS new direction with this box.  Thatís an incredible amount of user data MS will be able to collect about my gaming, surfing and TV habit.  I know other companies are collecting and selling that date (Google), but MS will have a treasure trove of information about users habits. 

I guess Iím being paranoidÖ itís probable the Kind Fruit and Nut bar Iíve been snacking on making me sensitive or somethingÖright?   paranoid

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 21, 2013, 07:00:18 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 21, 2013, 06:51:56 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 21, 2013, 06:40:57 PM

of course that makes me realize I'm used to buying games and not being able to trade them at all, so it just made the whole issue of pre-owned less important smile  thanks Doctor Teggy!  thumbsup

Yeah, but you buy those at Steam prices which is whole different animal than buying for consoles (even new games tend to be $10 less).

there have been plenty at full price.  in the end I get nothing back no matter if they cost, be it 5 bucks or 60.  It seems kind of silly for me to be concerned when I have probably around $7k in non tradeable/sellable games. 

still, MS seems to be wanting to turn this into a clusterfuck;  it's almost like they're trying to pull a Uwe Boll.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: