http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 04:38:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 56734 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 29, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 29, 2013, 01:07:22 PM

I don't know if you have to place it on a coffee table. It seemed like Kinect technology was involved with "looking" at your setup.

considering they actually say "IllumiRoom envisions a next-generation gaming console with a projector that sits on your coffee table and surrounds your television with projected light" and the video shows it sitting on a coffee table I'd say you'd have to place it on a......

wait for it......

Spoiler for Hiden:
MOOSE!

bet you didn't see that coming.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: April 29, 2013, 04:16:45 PM »

I did. I totally saw that coming. So you're saying I can't put it on an ottoman or my game-box that holds all my RB crap? What is the wood to screws to glass to metal requirement? Will it work on any coffee table? What if I only have a tea-table?

Putting it on a moose is unlikely - a moose's back alone is over 5'. Perhaps strapping it to it's belly would be fine, but given the angle of view, you'd be sitting on a couch staring into a moose's anus, which is no fun. (*ask Bullwinkles' proctologist ... he's got some particularly stirring tales for you to digest)

Interesting .... I didn't get to listen to the audio - I'm at work and have the sound off.  I suppose illumiroom won't work well with Kinect games, as your legs would be obstructed (or you'd be standing in front of the projector). Illumiroom is currently one of the things that intrigues me most about the next-gen. Offering peripheral stimulation would be fantastic.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:20:01 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 29, 2013, 04:16:45 PM

So you're saying I can't put it on an ottoman? or my game-box? What is the wood to screws to glass to metal requirement?

it's part of their always on the coffee table requirement, and there are currently no plans for ottoman compatibility.  you can upgrade to a proprietary game box adapter for an extra $200.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2013, 04:20:31 PM »

Read the edits. Frankly, my last message didn't have any heart in it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 29, 2013, 04:16:45 PM

Putting it on a moose is unlikely - a moose's back alone is over 5'. Perhaps strapping it to it's belly would be fine, but given the angle of view, you'd be sitting on a couch staring into a moose's anus, which is no fun. (*ask Bullwinkles' proctologist ... he's got some particularly stirring tales for you to digest)

It's true.  On the plus side, he's one of the few doctors that still does house calls.  On the other hand, he doesn't get out of the car.

Also, he keeps a sketch journal of all his visits.

Spoiler for Hiden:

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »

Clearly he does Caribou as well.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 01, 2013, 12:48:56 AM »

New naming rumor - XBox Infinite.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 01, 2013, 06:17:27 AM »

I don't know if I like the Infinite thing but I do like the acronym, Microsoft XI

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: May 01, 2013, 06:28:55 AM »

So, after you buy this, does Elizabeth step out of a tear into your living room?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: May 01, 2013, 09:21:58 AM »

Xbox Infinite? That's actually quite clever. 360 is a circle after all, so what do you get if you have two circles? The infinity symbol. smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 01, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 01, 2013, 09:21:58 AM

Xbox Infinite? That's actually quite clever. 360 is a circle after all, so what do you get if you have two circles? The infinity symbol. smile

just like an 8.

Because I can,
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 01, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »

Which is just stupid because a circle is infinite as well without all that extra bullshit.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: May 01, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »

Quote from: heloder on May 01, 2013, 11:24:30 AM

Which is just stupid because a circle is infinite as well without all that extra bullshit.

What, the third dimension? A Moebius strip is a 3d representation, and there is a single flip. on one side, thus you travel infinitely on both sides of the strip. A circle is a simpler representation of no end. It is the next logical step. I wonder if they're going to have to fight Disney for the rights.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 01, 2013, 02:47:50 PM »

Quote from: heloder on May 01, 2013, 11:24:30 AM

but the extra makes it special!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »

Online,offline,offline,online...and this week its...

Next-gen Xbox will work offline - report
Allegedly leaked internal memo allays fears of always-on functionality

The next-generation Xbox will not require an always-on internet connection for many functions that you would expect to work in an offline environment - including single-player gaming.

That's the reassuring message of an allegedly leaked internal Microsoft memo reportedly emailed to full-time employees working on the next-generation console.
"Durango is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet," read the memo, according to Ars Technica.

"There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: May 06, 2013, 06:34:49 PM »

Leaked my ass! That there is a carefully handled fire extinguisher, people. Not that I mind, but I find it kind of insulting to our collective intelligence.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »

I got to demo the new oculus rift stuff, my god, it made my mind up, its not even close.. my next gaming system is gonna be a nice PC gaming rig specced for the O Rift.

Penny arcade does a good job discussing it. http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/we-spend-the-weekend-with-the-oculus-dev-kit-and-answer-your-questions

PS4 , Durango?   pfft...    When games like star citizen come out and support Oculus Rift, a whole new generation of gaming will be upon us.  Thank god.  I knew once Carmack got involved with VR the tech would finally evolve.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:53:08 PM by tcweidner » Logged

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: May 06, 2013, 10:23:41 PM »

The tech would evolve with Carmack, but you'll be playing crappily designed shooters with uninteresting settings and stories, with polished, but tired mechanics.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 06, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »

A good occulus rift type system is always where society hits the crapper in scifi movies  paranoid
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 06, 2013, 11:15:28 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on May 06, 2013, 10:43:55 PM

A good occulus rift type system is always where society hits the crapper in scifi movies  paranoid

when they start creating full body suit feedback is when you want to start building the bunker.

Because I can,
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 07, 2013, 01:47:58 AM »

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/i-play-an-oculus-rift-demo-that-shows-you-what-its-like-to-die-spoiler-its

O Rift is able to do what no other VR device has been capable of, it starts to fool your eyes and mind.  Its freaky and only going to get better and better.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2013, 06:00:24 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 06, 2013, 06:34:49 PM

Leaked my ass! That there is a carefully handled fire extinguisher, people. Not that I mind, but I find it kind of insulting to our collective intelligence.

agreed and honestly, I wouldn't put it past M$ to have changed course once all the negative press was coming out

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2013, 06:07:33 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 08, 2013, 06:00:24 PM

Quote from: TiLT on May 06, 2013, 06:34:49 PM

agreed and honestly, I wouldn't put it past M$ to have changed course once all the negative press was coming out

While i agree,MS would be assholes to carry on with their original plan after all the negative press,at least it seems they have listened to their fans/customers/whatever...and maybe with a little help with how SONY are doing things for the PS4

If all this is true,that is

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2013, 06:19:02 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 08, 2013, 06:07:33 PM

While i agree,MS would be assholes to carry on with their original plan after all the negative press,at least it seems they have listened to their fans/customers/whatever

yep, big props to MS for listening  thumbsup

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2013, 06:40:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 08, 2013, 06:19:02 PM

While i agree,MS would be assholes to carry on with their original plan after all the negative press,at least it seems they have listened to their fans/customers/whatever

Easy to listen when losing a huge amount of market share to Sony is staring you in the face.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: May 09, 2013, 03:27:31 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 08, 2013, 06:40:45 PM

yep, big props to MS for listening  thumbsup

Easy to listen when losing a huge amount of market share to Sony is staring you in the face.

Uhm... regardless of what decisions they make, they face that.

Sony faces the exact same thing. Making decisions isn't as easy as it sounds when you have skin in the game.

I doubt this is an about-face direction - it wouldn't surprise me to know this was them simply "testing the waters". As I've said all along, I'm not convinced they ever would have released an online-only game system. Today's market isn't ready for it yet, and the problem with bleeding-edge is that you run out of blood before there's a demand for your product.

There are press outlets that also spin this as "staged" though, with only two weeks to go before the reveal, I doubt they'd want to stifle the press and controversy so close. This information two weeks later is just as valuable.

Was it a way to stay "in the news", or was it a reminder to a decision made a while ago? We're not going to get that answer now - it's all conjecture.

Working for a large corporation, I constantly see communications that would seem wooden and forced - and often reiterating directions that are perfectly clear and unquestionable. To compare a corporate communication to a personal email writing is like expecting a brochure to convey the emotion and depth of a soliloquy. Corp comm. is often just propaganda - trying to identify its true audience is a fools errand.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:32:54 PM by Purge » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 14, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »

well, one week to go.  IGN has some pictures of the structure the reveal will be taking place in, but what could be more fun is Uncle Pete is going to be a guest on their pre-show.  oddly enough his Curiosity 'game' is supposed to end the same day.  coincidence or carefully planned revelation of Molyneux's Next Big ThingTM?

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2013, 09:51:31 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2013, 11:18:22 PM

well, one week to go.  IGN has some pictures of the structure the reveal will be taking place in, but what could be more fun is Uncle Pete is going to be a guest on their pre-show.  oddly enough his Curiosity 'game' is supposed to end the same day.  coincidence or carefully planned revelation of Molyneux's Next Big ThingTM?

Perhaps we'll get to meet Milo!

A new one
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2013, 10:07:15 AM »

Anyone from GT invited to the event?

NiM$
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2013, 01:55:21 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 08, 2013, 06:40:45 PM

Then how come Sony never did this generation?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2013, 04:04:22 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 15, 2013, 01:55:21 PM

Not sure how you can say that.  They can only do so much with what the architecture was, so while it would have been great to have online functionality like the 360, they did as well as they could with where they stuck themselves.  I think Sony did a lot of great things this generation, with PS+ and the move to embrace Indie developers.  The Cross Save functionality between the Vita and PS3 was genius (assuming you had both devices, which based on how Vita is doing isn't a lot).  I think they definitely adapted to the mistakes they made for sure.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2013, 04:20:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 15, 2013, 04:04:22 PM

Quote from: ATB on May 15, 2013, 01:55:21 PM

Not sure how you can say that.  They can only do so much with what the architecture was, so while it would have been great to have online functionality like the 360, they did as well as they could with where they stuck themselves.  I think Sony did a lot of great things this generation, with PS+ and the move to embrace Indie developers.  The Cross Save functionality between the Vita and PS3 was genius (assuming you had both devices, which based on how Vita is doing isn't a lot).  I think they definitely adapted to the mistakes they made for sure.

No i agree. I mean before launching PS3. MS was positioned to make a charge and PS did not modify their stance prior to release...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2013, 09:44:48 PM »

Well that's because Sony's corporate structure and leadership was a bunch of F'ups still suckling at the teat of the PS2 era. They messed up so bad that despite it supposed to be easy to listen, they had already locked themselves into their horrible position in the rush to get a console out the next year. If I recall, they had actually planned to not have a PS3 out for another 2 years before the 360 launched.

They were blinded by the success of the PS2, and got smacked around for it. Only by throwing a whole lot of money at the situation, and leveraging their first party studios and other media.

Now, it's an odd reversal where MS is showing some signs of the same stupidity that hurt Sony, but thankfully they seem to be taking a lesson from history.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 20, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »

Two part reveal System tomorrow and games during E3. 

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 20, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »

LOLZ.

less than 24 hours!    YARRRR!!! Da Freakin' Pope! SCIENCE! Fabulous The drink that never ends. High five! Score Up

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »

I loved the subliminal messages in the background (eg: Kill Babies).

Funny stuff.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2013, 07:56:16 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 20, 2013, 07:51:48 PM

I loved the subliminal messages in the background (eg: Kill Babies).

oh thank god, that explains so much what just happened...  er... not that anything happened.....  paranoid

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: May 20, 2013, 10:33:19 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 15, 2013, 10:07:15 AM

Anyone from GT invited to the event?

We will be liveblogging the event with our thoughts for those who can't watch the video reveal or just want to know our musings.  slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2013, 07:50:54 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 20, 2013, 01:48:15 PM

Two part reveal System tomorrow and games during E3. 

The best way I can describe it is, we're really going to tell one story across two events. So we're going to start on the 21 [of May] and really that's about revealing the next Xbox platform and our vision for the future of games, the future of entertainment. We definitely have a lot of surprises planned.

People are going to get a great inside look at the making of the new platform and the team that brought it to life. To be honest it's really about the team, the people here. We've never done this before, so it's really exciting to be able to do that.

I hope they have some games to show, as that sounds rather boring.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 21, 2013, 07:50:54 AM

I hope they have some games to show, as that sounds rather boring.

I'm pretty sure they will.  Kinda hard to show off new hardware without showing what it is capable of.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: